|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What specific food does the crew fight about, leading them to decide to stop making it?
(a) Blueberry pies.
(b) Strawberry pies.
(c) Apple pies.
(d) Lemon pies.
2. Which statement best describes Concepcion Bay, the expedition's next destination?
(a) There are so many jellyfish and sea anemone clearly seen from the deck of the boat.
(b) There is not marine life in the bay, and so the crew left hastily.
(c) Schools of tuna amd swordfish can be found in the bay and leap all around them.
(d) Too many rocks can be found near the shore, which signals the unwillingness of the town to accept visitors.
3. Why does Tony berates Tiny and Sparky?
(a) Tony suddenly flares for no apparent reason.
(b) Tiny and Sparky eat all the food while everybody is asleep.
(c) Because Tiny and Sparky accidentally drop some oil into Tony's shirt.
(d) The boat goes off-course while Tiny and Sparky are at the helm, causing Tony to berate them.
4. What is the most important gift that the Sea of Cortez gives the expedition party, according to Steinbeck?
(a) The new language that they have learned to speak, as used in Guaymas.
(b) A way of seeing life, time and beauty that is different from those they have previously experienced.
(c) The ability to predict the tides, which will come handy for sea travellers like them.
(d) Three huge, beautiful pearls they have found on the shore.
5. What does the crew call the invertebrates that Steinbeck and Ricketts catch?
(a) No Bones.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the ladies of Laredo react to the expedition party?
2. What topic does Steinbeck discuss with the team members as they sail along the coast of Guardian Angel Island?
3. What does the expedition party use instead of the tide chart to watch the rise and fall of the tides?
4. How does the author describe the Mexicans and Americans that they meet in Angeles Bay?
5. Where does the boat sail next on March 30 after collecting freshwater species?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the profile of the specimens the expedition party collects. Provide details about the group's interest in all of these specimens, as explained by Steinbeck himself.
2. At the port city of Laredo, the members of the expedition team serve as merriment to the local girls. Speculate on the reasons on why this is so and give probable explanations to this happening.
3. In Marcial Point around noon on Easter Sunday, Steinbeck and Ricketts manage to catch a big, beautiful lobster despite the difficulties they have encountered. How do you think Steinbeck and Ricketts managed to catch this lobster? Speculate on the efforts of the team.
4. Discuss Steinbeck's theory on how a harsh environment makes survivors out of its inhabitants, and how he came to this train of thought.
5. When the group is discussing the activities of the Japanese dredge boats and trawlers, Steinbeck contradicts himself from his earlier position on food wastage. What is Steinbeck's new position on the food wastage?
6. Describe Steinbeck and Ricketts' encounter with the ranchers and vacationers, and their consequent big sheep-hunting expedition.
7. Discuss the theories and examples presented by members of the expedition team on how persistence of beliefs of mind can overcome actual reality.
8. Discuss Steinbeck's lamentations on the briefness of their expedition, and how he wished that they have brought full-sized aquariums.
9. Describe the expedition party's experience with their camera equipment. What happens with the equipment and what resolutions are derived from their experience?
10. Santa Rosalia is described as much different from the other towns they have seen. What could have been in Santa Rosalia that makes it so different from the others?
This section contains 1,570 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)