|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What little surprise does the crew find in the seemingly uninteresting beach?
(a) A group of rattlesnakes which follow them wherever they go.
(b) A large school of tiny fish comes in and make a hissing noise in the water all around them.
(c) A large treasure chest that contains jewels.
(d) A treasure map buried in the sand, which indicates that a treasure can be found in the Sea of Cortez.
2. What does the expedition party do at the island of Tiburon?
(a) Talk to the priest of the island of Tiburon.
(b) Attend mass at the island of Tiburon.
(c) Collect specimens on a reef and a rocky shoreline.
(d) Visit the marine museum at the island of Tiburon.
3. How is the team's photography effort described in general?
(a) There is nothing mentioned about the team's photography efforts.
(b) It is so poor that it is used as an example of what shouldn't be done with a camera.
(c) It is neither remarkably good or remarkably bad.
(d) It is so remarkable that it is cited as an example of what expeditions should follow during voyages.
4. What feeling does the expedition party have as they leave Angeles Bay?
(a) Everyone in the team feels that they have finally found the best place to conduct scientific experiments in Angeles Bay.
(b) The team members feel as if they belong in Angeles Bay and do not like to leave.
(c) Everybody on the team feels that they are interfering with some illicit activity.
(d) The team members feel like their stay in Angeles Bay was cut short because of the presence of the Americans and Mexicans.
5. On March 31, almost three weeks ate sea, what observation does Steinbeck make regarding the collections they have acquired so far?
(a) Steinbeck observes that they have collected close to a ton of species and they cannot take it all home because it was just too much weight for the boat to take.
(b) Steinbeck notes that they have amassed a significant collection, which will fetch good prices at the markets.
(c) Steinbeck notes that their collection is as varied the crew's personalities.
(d) Steinbeck notes that they are more interested in the common species rather than the rare species.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tiny spend his time on the island of Tiburon?
2. Why does everyone decide to put Tex on a diet?
3. Which statement best describes the expedition team's reaction on the topic of going home?
4. Which statement best describes the marine life in Puerto Escondido?
5. What concept does Steinbeck muse on, as inspired by the seemingly millions of fish in the water?
Short Essay Questions
1. This particular section when the expedition party are near Guaymas and see these spotless fishermen is dated Aprill 22, which proves to be erratic. Give probable explanations to the error in date.
2. Briefly explain Steinbeck's feelings towards the whole expedition. Does he feel that the expedition has taught them anything, and is there any particular valuable lesson they have acquired from the trip, apart from scientific learnings?
3. Briefly explain Steinbeck's thoughts about a place being friendly or unfriendly. What instances led him to these thoughts?
4. Explain Steinbeck's thoughts on the wastage of food witnesses together with Ricketts on the Japanese dredge boats.
5. Discuss the theories and examples presented by members of the expedition team on how persistence of beliefs of mind can overcome actual reality.
6. Describe Guardian Angel Island and how the crew takes to it. What were the feelings of the crew while they were on the island?
7. Steinbeck and Ricketts willingly accept the offer to go on a big sheep-hunting expedition even though it is apparent that they do not have the desires to hunt any creature. Give a probable explanation as to why the two readily agreed to the invitation in the first place.
8. Santa Rosalia is described as much different from the other towns they have seen. What could have been in Santa Rosalia that makes it so different from the others?
9. Tiny harpoons stingrays at the island of Tiburon. Give probable explanations to Tiny's seemingly attachment to harpoons. Cite specific examples in the book to support this explanation.
10. At the port city of Laredo, the members of the expedition team serve as merriment to the local girls. Speculate on the reasons on why this is so and give probable explanations to this happening.
This section contains 1,694 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)