|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On March 31, almost three weeks ate sea, what observation does Steinbeck make regarding the collections they have acquired so far?
(a) Steinbeck notes that they are more interested in the common species rather than the rare species.
(b) Steinbeck notes that their collection is as varied the crew's personalities.
(c) Steinbeck notes that they have amassed a significant collection, which will fetch good prices at the markets.
(d) Steinbeck observes that they have collected close to a ton of species and they cannot take it all home because it was just too much weight for the boat to take.
2. Why does Tony berates Tiny and Sparky?
(a) The boat goes off-course while Tiny and Sparky are at the helm, causing Tony to berate them.
(b) Tony suddenly flares for no apparent reason.
(c) Because Tiny and Sparky accidentally drop some oil into Tony's shirt.
(d) Tiny and Sparky eat all the food while everybody is asleep.
3. Why is the crew unable to collect many specimens on the day following Easter Sunday?
(a) Because Steinbeck and Ricketts get into a fight, making it too awkward to do any collection.
(b) Because the locals will not allow them to take anything from their ocean.
(c) Because the tide does not go very low, making it difficult to collect species in general.
(d) Because the local police arrest Tex for not wearing a t-shirt all the time.
4. How does the life on the boat change as they get nearer the Sea of Cortez?
(a) It becomes very relaxed, team members do not want to go on shore anymore to collect specimen.
(b) It becomes too strained, members of the team stop talking to each other.
(c) It becomes casual, and almost everyone is wearing only hats and shorts.
(d) It becomes rowdy, and there are fights among the team members almost every day.
5. How many of these sea creatures that interest him does Tiny catch?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author tell us about the camera that they brought in the expedition?
2. How does the school of tiny fish that Tiny and Sparky on April 22 catch taste?
3. Why does the crew forego stopping at Santa Rosalia?
4. Who enjoys the favors of the locals the most in Puerto Refugio?
5. How does the author describe the call of the doves?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the theories and examples presented by members of the expedition team on how persistence of beliefs of mind can overcome actual reality.
2. Discuss Steinbeck's lamentations on the briefness of their expedition, and how he wished that they have brought full-sized aquariums.
3. Discuss on Steinbeck's theory on how relaxation and laziness can lead to greater productivity.
4. Briefly explain Steinbeck's feelings towards the whole expedition. Does he feel that the expedition has taught them anything, and is there any particular valuable lesson they have acquired from the trip, apart from scientific learnings?
5. Describe the strange experience the group has with the Americans and the Mexicans they encounter in Angeles Bay.
6. Describe how life in the Western Flyer becomes by the end of March. How does it chang compared when they first sailed to sea?
7. Describe Guardian Angel Island and how the crew takes to it. What were the feelings of the crew while they were on the island?
8. It is mentioned that Tex is getting married and therefore should be watching his weight very keenly. Speculate on Tex's marriage. Why did he agree to sail even when he is getting married? Why can't he stay on a diet to look good on his wedding day?
9. Describe Steinbeck and Ricketts' encounter with the ranchers and vacationers, and their consequent big sheep-hunting expedition.
10. Describe the expedition party's experience with their camera equipment. What happens with the equipment and what resolutions are derived from their experience?
This section contains 1,572 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)