|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Mexican officials do with the expedition party?
(a) They arrive to inspect the expedition party's baggages including the marine life they have caught.
(b) They arrive to talk to Steinbeck and Ricketts another expedition to be done within the year.
(c) They arrive to discuss with Steinbeck the possibility of making a book about Cabo San Lucas.
(d) They arrive for a welcoming ceremony including coffee, smoking and a bit of paperwork.
2. What instrument does Raul use, which Steinbeck and Ricketts buy from him?
(a) A knife.
(b) A bow and arrow.
(c) A harpoon.
(d) A gun.
3. What does Tiny do when they reach Magdalena Bay?
(a) Tiny harpoons a sea anemone.
(b) Tiny harpoons a sea-turtle.
(c) Tiny harpoons a porpoise.
(d) Tiny harpoons a small crab.
4. What scientific testing does Steinbeck intend to do on the liquor?
(a) Test if the seawater will work well with the liquor.
(b) Determine if his crew can drink the liquor instead of the water for two weeks.
(c) Determine if the liquor can really substitute the engine fuel.
(d) Determine if the aphrodisiac liquor really works.
5. What happens to the vessel during Tiny and Sparky's watch?
(a) The Western Flyer stops all of a sudden, and almost tilts down.
(b) The Western Flyer attracts a lot of fish. In the process, the expedition team do not get hungry while Tiny and Sparky are on watch.
(c) The Western Flyer often goes off-course during their watch but they do not get into serious trouble anyway.
(d) The Western Flyer stays on course and speeds up, making better sailing time.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the duration covered by the story?
2. What do Tiny and Sparky do while they are on watch?
3. What difficulty does the expedition party encounter when they were collecting specimen in Cabo San Lucas?
4. How does John Steinbeck and Ed Ricketts pass the time while their boat is being outfitted?
5. Who is the chef of the expedition?
Short Essay Questions
1. Steinbeck notices two men and a woman in Cabo San Lucas, paddling their canoe to the boat to do a little talking. He remarks that the indigenous people's sense of time is different from theirs. Describe the group that Steinbeck encounters, and what about their appearance invites such remarks from Steinbeck?
2. Describe Tony and make some assumptions on the way he looks.
3. What difference does this particular expedition have over the other travels? Why is this so?
4. Briefly discuss how Tony's personality is impressed upon the team members as they take turns manning the wheel.
5. The expedition party reaches the town of San Lucas. Describe the town as mentioned by Steinbeck, and add your own theories on how the town looks and feels like.
6. Steinbeck hints at Tiny's stories of his past as being too racy to be repeated in the book. Speculate on Tiny's past. What could his stories be about and why can't it be repeated in the book?
7. Briefly explain how Steinbeck explains teleological and non-teleological thinking. Relate the two on the previous discussion about employment and unemployment.
8. Briefly state the discussions made by Steinbeck and Ricketts on different ways of thinking, particularly looking at the society and the balance that is maintained all the time, as specified by their given example on employment.
9. What is the Log of Sea Cortez and why was it created?
10. How does Steinbeck compare staying on course at sea to achieving a goal in life?
This section contains 1,507 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)