|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is interesting about the bonito and other fish that caught Steinbeck and Ricketts' attention?
(a) They change their colors as the sun shines on them.
(b) They swim in groups of twelve.
(c) Their colors are different from when they are alive to when they are dead and preserved.
(d) They swim opposite the sea current.
2. What is the Western Flyer?
(a) It is a rare species of bird found only in Mexico.
(b) It is the boat owned and maintained by Ed Ricketts.
(c) It is a well-maintained vessel owned by Tony Berry used for the expedition.
(d) It is a favorite watering hole by John Steinbeck and Ed Ricketts.
3. What happens when Steinbeck and Ricketts photograph the bonito and other fish?
(a) The camera gets wet.
(b) They fight on who should take the pictures.
(c) The pictures don't turn out very well.
(d) The pictures turn out to be very beautiful
4. How does Steinbeck describe a scientist's reaction to death of a sea creature?
(a) He describes the scientist's approach to the experience as an exciting adventure.
(b) He describes the scientist's approach to the experience as an opportunity to learn more about the species.
(c) He describes the scientist's approach to the experience as a child getting the toy that he wished for.
(d) He describes the scientist's approach to the experience as someone finally climbing a mountain that is so hard to climb.
5. What do Steinbeck and Ricketts encounter when they go for a walk in the dark?
(a) A store that sells imported cigarettes.
(b) A little cross with a candle lighting it.
(c) A little boy offering some pearls from the sea.
(d) A local hospital that treats voyagers for free.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the captain of the ship for the expedition?
2. Where does the expedition party go on the morning of March 23, Black Saturday?
3. How are Tiny and Sparky presented?
4. What happens to the vessel during Tiny and Sparky's watch?
5. What difference does the section dated March 24 have from the rest of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Steinbeck's theory on man's struggle for dominance. What is his theory on how one group never stays in power for a very long time?
2. What is Steinbeck's theory on the origin of the name of a certain place? What was the origin of Steinbeck's musings?
3. Describe the activities of the expedition party on the eve of their departure. Speculate on the feelings of the team members on this particular night.
4. What are the recordings in The Log from the Sea of Cortez? Enumerate as many as you can.
5. Briefly explain how Steinbeck explains teleological and non-teleological thinking. Relate the two on the previous discussion about employment and unemployment.
6. Describe Tiny's encounter with a sea turtle.
7. The expedition party reaches the town of San Lucas. Describe the town as mentioned by Steinbeck, and add your own theories on how the town looks and feels like.
8. Describe the Sea-Cow and how did it get its name? How does the expedition party relate to it? Does the expedition party treat the Sea-Cow fairly?
9. What are some examples of Steinbeck's personification of marine life?
10. Tiny and Sparky are described as almost two halves of one person. Make some speculations on their appearance and characters in general.
This section contains 1,417 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)