|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the expedition party's last collecting stop?
(a) San Diego Bay.
(b) La Paz.
(c) Magdalena Bay.
(d) San Gabriel Bay.
2. Which statement best describes Puerto Escondido?
(a) It is a small isalnd where sea vessels can moor while refuelling.
(b) It is a small town most visited by scientists such as Darwin.
(c) It is a bustling community where kids play along the shore and housewives cooked food all day.
(d) It is a beautiful mangrove-ringed lagoon with an interior channel to the town.
3. How does the expedition party scare the shark that was circling their their boat?
(a) They scare it by playing loud music.
(b) They scare it with a pistol shot.
(c) They scare it by throwing some soiled shirts to the sea.
(d) They scare it by throwing sticks at it.
4. How do the ladies of Laredo react to the expedition party?
(a) They immediately offer to serve as their housekeepers, promising good food all the time.
(b) They are offended that the expedition party is allowed to dock in Laredo.
(c) They sell many of their beadworks, telling them that the beads are rare and can only be found in Laredo.
(d) The expedition party serves as a source of merriment to the local girls, and the older women cannot stop giggling.
5. What does the expedition party do at the island of Tiburon?
(a) Visit the marine museum at the island of Tiburon.
(b) Collect specimens on a reef and a rocky shoreline.
(c) Talk to the priest of the island of Tiburon.
(d) Attend mass at the island of Tiburon.
6. Why can't the expedition party stay longer in Guaymas and in the sea?
(a) Because there is not enough room to accommodate the whole expedition party.
(b) Because they are having a debate on who should act as captain of the ship.
(c) Because they have no more dollars to pay the children.
(d) Because the duration of the charter is fixed.
7. Why does Tony berates Tiny and Sparky?
(a) Tony suddenly flares for no apparent reason.
(b) The boat goes off-course while Tiny and Sparky are at the helm, causing Tony to berate them.
(c) Tiny and Sparky eat all the food while everybody is asleep.
(d) Because Tiny and Sparky accidentally drop some oil into Tony's shirt.
8. What little surprise does the crew find in the seemingly uninteresting beach?
(a) A large school of tiny fish comes in and make a hissing noise in the water all around them.
(b) A large treasure chest that contains jewels.
(c) A treasure map buried in the sand, which indicates that a treasure can be found in the Sea of Cortez.
(d) A group of rattlesnakes which follow them wherever they go.
9. What actually happens to Tex's weight in the face of the crew's attempt to put him on a diet?
(a) He gets sick and loses more than ten pounds.
(b) He gains a few pounds by sneaking food at every opportunity.
(c) He develops bulimia and the crew is regretful.
(d) He loses ten pounds after only five days of dieting.
10. What is the most important gift that the Sea of Cortez gives the expedition party, according to Steinbeck?
(a) A way of seeing life, time and beauty that is different from those they have previously experienced.
(b) The new language that they have learned to speak, as used in Guaymas.
(c) Three huge, beautiful pearls they have found on the shore.
(d) The ability to predict the tides, which will come handy for sea travellers like them.
11. How does the school of tiny fish that Tiny and Sparky on April 22 catch taste?
(a) A bit salty.
(b) Spicy and sour.
(c) Very tasty.
(d) Sweet and sour.
12. What observation do Steinbeck and Ricketts have regarding the marine life in Coronado Island and Monterey Bay?
(a) That many species have blue and black dominant colors.
(b) That most species have a red spot on their tails.
(c) That most species swim in twos.
(d) That many species from the two places appear to be similar.
13. How does the life on the boat change as they get nearer the Sea of Cortez?
(a) It becomes very relaxed, team members do not want to go on shore anymore to collect specimen.
(b) It becomes rowdy, and there are fights among the team members almost every day.
(c) It becomes casual, and almost everyone is wearing only hats and shorts.
(d) It becomes too strained, members of the team stop talking to each other.
14. Why are Steinbeck and Ricketts delighted that the Indians will actually do the hunting?
(a) Because they really do not want to kill anything.
(b) Because they befriend the Indians and feel safe beside them.
(c) Because Indians are known to have very accurate shots and they would like to witness some.
(d) Because they are fans of Indian hunters and they would like to see some in action.
15. What specific food does the crew fight about, leading them to decide to stop making it?
(a) Apple pies.
(b) Lemon pies.
(c) Blueberry pies.
(d) Strawberry pies.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which statement best describes the marine life in Puerto Escondido?
2. What does the expedition party hear about Mulege which make it an undesirable destination?
3. Why is the tide chart no longer usable?
4. Where does the expedition party go after Laredo?
5. What is the best description for Santa Rosalia?
This section contains 1,111 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)