|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What new species does the crew unsuccessfully try to collect in San Carlos Bay?
(a) Sea urchins and eels.
(b) Sea snakes and star fish.
(c) Sea horses and anemone fish.
(d) Seaweed and sandhoppers.
2. How is Guaymas different from the other towns they have been in?
(a) Guaymas welcomes visitors to become resident
(b) Guaymas seems to be foucs on news, business and tourism.
(c) Guaymas does not ask for taxes from its visitors.
(d) Guaymas does not speak English.
3. What does the expedition party hear about Mulege which make it an undesirable destination?
(a) That visitors are clubbed by unfriendly locals.
(b) That the place has unfair port fees and malaria.
(c) That snakes litter the area.
(d) That there are many poisonous fish in the water.
4. Who invites Steinbeck and Ricketts on a big-sheep hunting expedition?
(a) Some local ranchers and vacationers.
(b) Some Indians who came up in a canoe.
(c) The owner of the store where they bought their supplies.
(d) The sons of the town mayor.
5. Where does the boat sail next on March 30 after collecting freshwater species?
(a) San Diego Bay.
(b) San Carlos Bay.
(c) El Pueblo Bay.
(d) Magdalena Bay.
6. How does the school of tiny fish that Tiny and Sparky on April 22 catch taste?
(a) Spicy and sour.
(b) Very tasty.
(c) A bit salty.
(d) Sweet and sour.
7. What specific food does the crew fight about, leading them to decide to stop making it?
(a) Blueberry pies.
(b) Lemon pies.
(c) Strawberry pies.
(d) Apple pies.
8. What does the expedition party see towards the end of April 22 as they sail south?
(a) Several dolphins and whales.
(b) Fishing boats from the town of Guaymas.
(c) Kids and mothers going to school.
(d) A group of artists with long hair and tattoos.
9. What is the best description for Santa Rosalia?
(a) It has eight statues standing on shore, as if guarding the town from enemies.
(b) It looks all balck and gray from afar, which seems to signify that there is not much happening in the town.
(c) It is a mining town built by a French company, and looks very different from other towns they have seen.
(d) It looks wonderful at night with all the many lights from the establishments that line up the shore.
10. What does Sparky collect to give to his friends back at home?
(a) Very beautiful starfish.
(b) Very beautiful snail shells.
(c) Very beautiful sand dollars.
(d) Very beautiful oyster pearls.
11. What little surprise does the crew find in the seemingly uninteresting beach?
(a) A treasure map buried in the sand, which indicates that a treasure can be found in the Sea of Cortez.
(b) A large school of tiny fish comes in and make a hissing noise in the water all around them.
(c) A group of rattlesnakes which follow them wherever they go.
(d) A large treasure chest that contains jewels.
12. Where does the expedition party sail next on Easter Sunday?
(a) They return to Magdalene Bay because tex forgot the collections he had.
(b) They finally sail to Cortez, Mexico.
(c) Out of the lagoon and to the next collecting stop south of Marcial Point.
(d) They leave La Paz and sail north to Tribecca.
13. When the sea is very smooth, what does the crew do to take advantage of the calm seas?
(a) They cook omelette which is very hard to cook perfectly on a rough sea,
(b) They iron their clothes.
(c) They label and sort their collection.
(d) They play a game of hockey.
14. What does Sparky accidentally do on April 3?
(a) He harpoons a cat.
(b) He harpoons a bat.
(c) He harpoons a dog.
(d) He harpoons a stingray.
15. How does Steinbeck describe the environment and marine life that they find in Puerto Refugio?
(a) The high energy environment drives away all the marine life.
(b) The low energy environment provides a lot of nutrition for fish and other sea creatures.
(c) The low energy environment attracts various forms of marine life.
(d) The high energy environment creates stronger and healthier species.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the coastal Indians whom Steinbeck and Ricketts met in Puerto Escondido do?
2. From his philosophical discussions, what does Steinbeck suddenly suggest?
3. Which statement best describes Concepcion Bay, the expedition's next destination?
4. What are the freshwater species that are eaten locally, and collected by the expedition party on March 30?
5. What does the party find in Angeles Bay?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)