|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the crew call the invertebrates that Steinbeck and Ricketts catch?
(c) No Bones.
2. What particular sea creature interests Tiny on their way to Estero de la Luna?
(a) Giant porpoises.
(b) Giant sea turtles.
(c) Giant manta rays.
(d) Giant sea horses.
3. On Easter Sunday, despite facing difficulties collecting specimens, Steinbeck and Ricketts are able to catch a significant marine life - what is it?
(a) A large, century old turtle.
(b) A small, printed seahorse.
(c) A shiny, white porpoise.
(d) A large, beautiful lobster.
4. What does the author tell us about the camera that they brought in the expedition?
(a) They wish they bought several batteries, because the batteries ran out even before they were halfway on the trip.
(b) They are so grateful that they brought the camera with them, as it has captured so many photographs of the expedition.
(c) They have been having trouble all along with the camera and they finally decided to figure out what to do with it.
(d) They realize that they should have bought an underwater camera to be able to take pictures of marine life in the water.
5. What feeling does the expedition party have as they leave Angeles Bay?
(a) Everybody on the team feels that they are interfering with some illicit activity.
(b) The team members feel like their stay in Angeles Bay was cut short because of the presence of the Americans and Mexicans.
(c) The team members feel as if they belong in Angeles Bay and do not like to leave.
(d) Everyone in the team feels that they have finally found the best place to conduct scientific experiments in Angeles Bay.
6. How is Guaymas different from the other towns they have been in?
(a) Guaymas seems to be foucs on news, business and tourism.
(b) Guaymas does not speak English.
(c) Guaymas does not ask for taxes from its visitors.
(d) Guaymas welcomes visitors to become resident
7. What are the freshwater species that are eaten locally, and collected by the expedition party on March 30?
(a) Snails and scallops.
(b) Milkfish and eel.
(c) Crabs and clams.
(d) Shrimps and catfish.
8. What does the party find in Angeles Bay?
(a) They find that it was closed to tourists and voyagers and they had to return to sea immediately.
(b) They find another expedition party heading to the same destination like them.
(c) There seems to be an unknown settlement with a very odd sense of something strange going on.
(d) They find that there are a dozen men who want to be part of their team.
9. What is the expedition party's last collecting stop?
(a) San Diego Bay.
(b) La Paz.
(c) Magdalena Bay.
(d) San Gabriel Bay.
10. Where in Puerto Refugio does the expedition party collect specimens?
(a) They do not find any place to collect anything from.
(b) They go to the edge of Puerto Refugio and wait for the tide to go down before collecting specimens.
(c) They find an area with abundant tidepools and this is where they collect specimens.
(d) They took a small boat to go to the island near Puerto Refugio.
11. What does Steinbeck lament about that is in connection with persistence of beliefs and actual happenings?
(a) That persistence of beliefs can actually lead to actual happenings.
(b) That a good hypothesis can blind a person to alternative theories and even to actual data that could disprove it.
(c) That actual happenings are actually the basis of many persistent beliefs.
(d) That actual happenings are always distorted to give way to more controversial beliefs.
12. How long does Tex suffer through the diet exercise?
(a) The rest of the trip.
(b) A week.
(c) Three days.
(d) Five days.
13. What does the expedition party encounter as they sail along the coast of Guardian Angel Island?
(a) A group of sea turtles swimming against the tide.
(b) Another boat that is returning to land.
(c) Schools of jellyfishes that cannot be easily netted or preserved.
(d) A school of small fish which they catch and cook for dinner.
14. Why is the crew unable to collect many specimens on the day following Easter Sunday?
(a) Because Steinbeck and Ricketts get into a fight, making it too awkward to do any collection.
(b) Because the tide does not go very low, making it difficult to collect species in general.
(c) Because the local police arrest Tex for not wearing a t-shirt all the time.
(d) Because the locals will not allow them to take anything from their ocean.
15. Where does the expedition party go after Laredo?
(a) North to La Luz.
(b) North to Punta Fuego.
(c) North to Coronado Island.
(d) North to Escondido Bay.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the tide chart no longer usable?
2. Which statement best describes Guaymas?
3. Who heads ashore to do some collecting in Agiabampo estuary?
4. Why does the party chose not to dock in Guaymas and instead anchor in a nearby bay?
5. Where does the boat sail next on March 30 after collecting freshwater species?
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)