|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the vessel during Tiny and Sparky's watch?
(a) The Western Flyer attracts a lot of fish. In the process, the expedition team do not get hungry while Tiny and Sparky are on watch.
(b) The Western Flyer stays on course and speeds up, making better sailing time.
(c) The Western Flyer often goes off-course during their watch but they do not get into serious trouble anyway.
(d) The Western Flyer stops all of a sudden, and almost tilts down.
2. What does Steinbeck notice about the sense of time of the local people of Cabo San Lucas?
(a) It seems so different from their own.
(b) It is reversed, sleeping during the day and working during the night.
(c) They seem to all walk faster, indicating that they have a faster sense of time.
(d) There is nothing different about their sense of time and that of the indigents'.
3. What happens when Steinbeck and Ricketts photograph the bonito and other fish?
(a) The pictures turn out to be very beautiful
(b) The pictures don't turn out very well.
(c) The camera gets wet.
(d) They fight on who should take the pictures.
4. How does Steinbeck compare navigation at sea to life?
(a) He likens sea navigation to cooking a gourmet course.
(b) He likens trying to keep a course to walking a tight pole.
(c) He likens trying to keep a course to attempting to achieve an ideal.
(d) He likens sea navigation to courting a girl.
5. What does the expedition party have for dinner on the evening of Good Friday, March 22?
(a) Roasted pork.
(b) Fish and chips.
(d) Buttered vegetables.
6. What is the author's description of Espiritu Santo Island?
(a) It is an area with sandy beaches and large rocks resting on the sand, under which there may be some interesting creatures.
(b) It is an area with very colorful cottages which serves as resting place for travelers.
(c) It is an area that is just starting its tourism industry, as such has still low prices for food and lodgings.
(d) It is an area that is highly commercialized, and almost all wares can be found.
7. Why does the expedition party set sail to La Paz?
(a) They have heard much about La Paz and are eager to see the city.
(b) They have heard of a magic show in La paz which they all wanted to see.
(c) They have been told that there are a lot of aphrodisiacs being sold in the place.
(d) They have relatives and friends who live in La Paz and they are eager to visit them.
8. What is a Sally Lightfoot crab?
(a) It is a female crab with a very unique tattoo on its shell, shaped like a foot.
(b) It is a female crab which clings to people's feet.
(c) It is a particularly agile, small crab which seems to elude every attempt for its capture.
(d) It is a small crab with giant feet, and the name is meant as a private joke among residents of Cabo San Lucas.
9. What is the greater purpose for which the author wants to use his observations of the activities of the biological creatures?
(a) To improve the laws and regulations regarding sea expeditions.
(b) To understand and improve the human species.
(c) To increase the public's awareness on marine life in Mexico.
(d) To improve the way people look at biological creatures.
10. Where is the expedition party heading?
(a) They arre heading north to their destination.
(b) They arre heading west to their destination.
(c) They are heading south to their destination.
(d) They arre heading east to their destination.
11. What does Tiny collect in La Paz?
(a) Dirty dishes from the various eating places they have visited.
(b) Rare, poisonous fish only seen in La Paz.
(c) Spices and herbs that are reputed to be aphrodisiac.
(d) Unremarkable species that are representative of the more common species in the area.
12. What is Steinbeck's thesis about origins of names of places, specifically California?
(a) That names arise organically from the places themselves as much as they do from any purposeful naming of them.
(b) That names are usually given by the first priest to reside in the place.
(c) That the first settlers usually name the place after their first born.
(d) That names are randomly selected during the full moon.
13. What is Tony's requirement to the group?
(a) He requires that they wash heir hands prior to taking the wheel.
(b) He requires that no one will talk while at sea.
(c) He requires that they say a seaman's prayer before taking the wheel.
(d) He requires that the course be maintained as perfectly as possible.
14. What is the topic of the discussion Steinbeck gives to the crowd waiting for them when they returned to their boat, anchored on the shores of La Paz?
(a) The different types of biologists.
(b) The various fish of the puffer family.
(c) The use of harpoons and knives in collecting marine specimen.
(d) The different classification of outboard motors.
15. What do members of the party feel when they are the one manning the wheel?
(a) The team members feel some pressure when they are manning the wheel, especially when Tony is watching.
(b) The team members feel a but sad and melancholic listening to the sea breeze.
(c) The team members feel happy and contented, and would like to remain at sea, when they are manning the wheel.
(d) The team members are excited, causing them to make wrong turns.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the crew prefer to catch and eat any other fish than the porpoises?
2. What is Tex's outstanding characteristic?
3. What instrument does Raul use, which Steinbeck and Ricketts buy from him?
4. What do Tiny and Sparky do while they are on watch?
5. Why are the particular dates chosen for an expedition?
This section contains 1,122 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)