|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through April 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the expedition party scare the shark that was circling their their boat?
(a) They scare it by throwing some soiled shirts to the sea.
(b) They scare it by playing loud music.
(c) They scare it with a pistol shot.
(d) They scare it by throwing sticks at it.
2. What difficulty does the expedition party encounter when they were collecting specimen in Cabo San Lucas?
(a) Collecting specimens is difficult due to the unique characteristics of the species such as the posionous spines of the worms which was hazardous to the activity.
(b) The local officials do not want them to take anything away, and suggest instead that they study the specimen while they are ashore.
(c) The local policemen require that each should have driver's license, which Steinbeck and Ricketts do not have.
(d) The locals do not want them to go ashore which make collecting specimen an impossibility.
3. What do Indians do in Espiritu Santo Island?
(a) They own and operate several restaurants where sea travelers usually take their meal before sailing out to sea.
(b) They maintain a market where travelers can sell the items they collected at sea.
(c) They come to visit in a dugout canoe, stay long into the night to drink, tell stories, and discuss politics.
(d) They maintain several stores which sell supplies to sea travelers.
4. What are the freshwater species that are eaten locally, and collected by the expedition party on March 30?
(a) Crabs and clams.
(b) Milkfish and eel.
(c) Shrimps and catfish.
(d) Snails and scallops.
5. Who is the chef of the expedition?
(d) There is no chef mentioned in the story.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the log entry of March 12 say?
2. What are the fishermen heading out to work complaining about early in the morning on April 8th?
3. How long does Tex suffer through the diet exercise?
4. What does the expedition party do on their first night at sea?
5. How does John Steinbeck and Ed Ricketts pass the time while their boat is being outfitted?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)