|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through April 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Tony's requirement to the group?
(a) He requires that no one will talk while at sea.
(b) He requires that they say a seaman's prayer before taking the wheel.
(c) He requires that the course be maintained as perfectly as possible.
(d) He requires that they wash heir hands prior to taking the wheel.
2. What topic does Steinbeck discuss with the team members as they sail along the coast of Guardian Angel Island?
(a) The Farai Indians, which are rumored to be cannibals.
(b) The Adamski Indians, which are rumored to be cannibals.
(c) The Seri Indians, which are rumored to be cannibals.
(d) The Harpal Indians, which are rumored to be cannibals.
3. Who invites Steinbeck and Ricketts on a big-sheep hunting expedition?
(a) The owner of the store where they bought their supplies.
(b) Some Indians who came up in a canoe.
(c) The sons of the town mayor.
(d) Some local ranchers and vacationers.
4. Why does Tony berates Tiny and Sparky?
(a) Tiny and Sparky eat all the food while everybody is asleep.
(b) Tony suddenly flares for no apparent reason.
(c) The boat goes off-course while Tiny and Sparky are at the helm, causing Tony to berate them.
(d) Because Tiny and Sparky accidentally drop some oil into Tony's shirt.
5. Why does the author rant about the outboard motor?
(a) Because it is very noisy.
(b) Because it has brought them much hardship during the expedition.
(c) Because its appearance is not attractive.
(d) Because it has a foul odor.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Steinbeck describe a scientist's reaction to death of a sea creature?
2. What does the expedition party hear about Mulege which make it an undesirable destination?
3. How do the ladies of Laredo react to the expedition party?
4. What does the expedition party use instead of the tide chart to watch the rise and fall of the tides?
5. What is the most important gift that the Sea of Cortez gives the expedition party, according to Steinbeck?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)