|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through March 30.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What explanation does the expedition party give to the Mexicans they meet on Espiritu Santo Island?
(a) They are just passing along, and their destination is Southeast Asia.
(b) They are attracted to the culture of the place and want to stay there for good.
(c) They are looking at useless animals out of general scientific interest.
(d) They are collecting curios which will fetch a good price back at home.
2. What does the crew call the invertebrates that Steinbeck and Ricketts catch?
(b) No Bones.
3. What is non-teleological thinking, as introduced by the author on Easter Sunday, March 24?
(a) It is the thinking that is dependent on tidal waves and moon shine.
(b) It is the thinking that attempts to look at the larger whole and simply understand and evaluate what is.
(c) It is the thinking that can change in an instant, usually associated with women.
(d) It is the thinking that relates men to sea vessels and motors.
4. What is The Log from the Sea of Cortez?
(a) It is a seaman's book they found on the Sea of Cortez which contains important information on marine biology.
(b) It is a very special wood found by John Steinbeck and his close friend, Ed Ricketts when they went to Cortez.
(c) It is the journal describing the marino biology expedition carried out by John Steinbeck and his close friend, Ed Ricketts.
(d) It is the wood sold out by the expedition party to several cities in Mexico.
5. How does the expedition party scare the shark that was circling their their boat?
(a) They scare it by throwing sticks at it.
(b) They scare it with a pistol shot.
(c) They scare it by playing loud music.
(d) They scare it by throwing some soiled shirts to the sea.
Short Answer Questions
1. What examples of marine life does the expedition party collect in Espiritu Santo Island?
2. What do the Mexican officials do with the expedition party?
3. What difference does the section dated March 24 have from the rest of the book?
4. Why does everyone decide to put Tex on a diet?
5. What can be found in Laredo that is of particular interest to the expedition party?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)