|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through March 23.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What instrument does Raul use, which Steinbeck and Ricketts buy from him?
(a) A knife.
(b) A gun.
(c) A harpoon.
(d) A bow and arrow.
2. What is taking place on the day before the expedition party leaves for its journey?
(a) A mass to bless the travelers in their journey.
(b) A celebration for the success of the expedition.
(c) A celebration marking the end of the sardine fishing season.
(d) A mass asking for good harvest.
3. What do Steinbeck and Ricketts buy that was eventually taken by US customs?
(a) A local liquor that is reputed to enable men to survive without water for more than a week.
(b) A local liquor that is reputed to substitute for fuel.
(c) A local liquor that is reputed to be an aphrodisiac.
(d) A local liquor that is reputed to increase alertness when at sea.
4. What is a Sally Lightfoot crab?
(a) It is a particularly agile, small crab which seems to elude every attempt for its capture.
(b) It is a female crab which clings to people's feet.
(c) It is a female crab with a very unique tattoo on its shell, shaped like a foot.
(d) It is a small crab with giant feet, and the name is meant as a private joke among residents of Cabo San Lucas.
5. Which piece of equipment receives positive feedback from the author?
(a) The diesel engine.
(b) The diesel engine and the outboard motor.
(c) The outboard motor.
(d) None. Everything was trashed by the author.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unique about the expedition described in the story?
2. What are John Steinbeck's lamentations about?
3. What do Indians do in Espiritu Santo Island?
4. What happens to the vessel during Tiny and Sparky's watch?
5. What is Tony's requirement to the group?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)