|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through March 16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are Tiny and Sparky presented?
(a) Tiny and Sparky are presented as similar to husband and wives, always looking after each other, and attending to each other's needs.
(b) Tiny and Sparky are presented as mortal enemies, always fighting each other and having opposing views.
(c) Tiny and Sparky are presented as two individuals who have no similarities or connection to each other.
(d) Tiny and Sparky are presented almost as two halves of one person, seeming to always do the same things at the same time.
2. Why does the crew prefer to catch and eat any other fish than the porpoises?
(a) Because porpoises were known to have high levels of salt, which was not advisable for someone sailing at sea.
(b) Because the propoises were poisonous.
(c) Because porpoises make the crew sleepy, making them unable to steer the boat properly.
(d) According to Steinbeck, it was probably because the porpoises were too human-like.
3. Where does the expedition team go the next morning, March 13?
(a) San Diego Bay.
(b) Palo Alto Bay.
(c) San Francisco Bay.
(d) Los Angeles Bay.
4. Who is Tex?
(a) John Steinbeck's son.
(b) The mechanic of the crew.
(c) The leader of the four-string quartet hired for the expedition.
(d) Ed Rickett's son.
5. What happens to the porpoises, as observed by Steinbeck and Ricketts?
(a) They do not make good subject for photographs.
(b) The porpoises have changed from the northern species to a grey, slender, long-nosed species.
(c) They change colors from when they are alive to when they are dead and preserved.
(d) They do not taste well.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to John Steinbeck, what does a rusting, disorderly boat with its pain peeling off indicate?
2. According to John Steinbeck, what does a well-cared for and lovingly maintained boat indicate?
3. What is the duration covered by the story?
4. Who is the captain of the ship for the expedition?
5. What is Tex's outstanding characteristic?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)