|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through March 16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Steinbeck and Ricketts photograph the bonito and other fish?
(a) The camera gets wet.
(b) The pictures don't turn out very well.
(c) The pictures turn out to be very beautiful
(d) They fight on who should take the pictures.
2. What are John Steinbeck's lamentations about?
(a) The lack of information available to him necessary to plan an expedition to the sea.
(b) The soaring prices of gasoline and labor which he needs for his expedition.
(c) The weather being unpredictable which makes a sea expedition particularly hard.
(d) About how short a time he has to do all the things he wants to do.
3. What does the expedition party do on their first night at sea?
(a) They play cards while drinking beer.
(b) They stay out to look at the stars while taking turns on the helm.
(c) They identify the different constellation and gave a price on who can name the most.
(d) They sing love songs and read poems to the stars.
4. What happens to the vessel during Tiny and Sparky's watch?
(a) The Western Flyer stops all of a sudden, and almost tilts down.
(b) The Western Flyer often goes off-course during their watch but they do not get into serious trouble anyway.
(c) The Western Flyer attracts a lot of fish. In the process, the expedition team do not get hungry while Tiny and Sparky are on watch.
(d) The Western Flyer stays on course and speeds up, making better sailing time.
5. Who are the major characters and the expedition team leaders in the story?
(a) John Steinbeck and Tony Berry.
(b) John Steinbeck and Ed Ricketts.
(c) Tony Berry and Ed Ricketts.
(d) John Steinbeck and a World War II veteran.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Steinbeck compare navigation at sea to life?
2. Why does the author write the story?
3. What is the greater purpose for which the author wants to use his observations of the activities of the biological creatures?
4. Steinbeck worries about the soldiers' reaction to what during their travel?
5. What does the log entry of March 12 say?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)