|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through March 16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Steinbeck and Ricketts photograph the bonito and other fish?
(a) The camera gets wet.
(b) The pictures turn out to be very beautiful
(c) They fight on who should take the pictures.
(d) The pictures don't turn out very well.
2. How does Steinbeck compare navigation at sea to life?
(a) He likens trying to keep a course to walking a tight pole.
(b) He likens sea navigation to courting a girl.
(c) He likens sea navigation to cooking a gourmet course.
(d) He likens trying to keep a course to attempting to achieve an ideal.
3. What is The Log from the Sea of Cortez?
(a) It is the wood sold out by the expedition party to several cities in Mexico.
(b) It is the journal describing the marino biology expedition carried out by John Steinbeck and his close friend, Ed Ricketts.
(c) It is a very special wood found by John Steinbeck and his close friend, Ed Ricketts when they went to Cortez.
(d) It is a seaman's book they found on the Sea of Cortez which contains important information on marine biology.
4. What are John Steinbeck's lamentations about?
(a) About how short a time he has to do all the things he wants to do.
(b) The soaring prices of gasoline and labor which he needs for his expedition.
(c) The lack of information available to him necessary to plan an expedition to the sea.
(d) The weather being unpredictable which makes a sea expedition particularly hard.
5. Who are the major characters and the expedition team leaders in the story?
(a) Tony Berry and Ed Ricketts.
(b) John Steinbeck and Ed Ricketts.
(c) John Steinbeck and Tony Berry.
(d) John Steinbeck and a World War II veteran.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the expedition party heading?
2. What does Tiny do when they reach Magdalena Bay?
3. What are the two types of biologists, as discussed by John Steinbeck and Ed Ricketts?
4. Aside from their daily experiences during the expedition, what other topics are discussed by the author?
5. Why does the crew prefer to catch and eat any other fish than the porpoises?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)