|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Unnamed section, p. 31.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Western Flyer?
(a) It is the boat owned and maintained by Ed Ricketts.
(b) It is a well-maintained vessel owned by Tony Berry used for the expedition.
(c) It is a favorite watering hole by John Steinbeck and Ed Ricketts.
(d) It is a rare species of bird found only in Mexico.
2. Steinbeck worries about the soldiers' reaction to what during their travel?
(a) He is worried that the soldiers might want to join them which will result to problems in food and water.
(b) He is worried that the soldiers might ask to hide in the vessel.
(c) Because of the war, he is worried that the soldiers might not understand the nature of their equipment and the purpose of their travels.
(d) He is worried that the soldiers might ask them to give up their supplies for the war.
3. Why does the author write the story?
(a) He wants to write about how traveling at sea can be done on a limited budget.
(b) He wants to be known as a man who liked to travel the seas.
(c) He wants the world to know his good friend Ed Ricketts.
(d) He wants future travelers to have better information that can help them prepare for a similar expedition.
4. Where is the expedition party heading?
(a) They are heading south to their destination.
(b) They arre heading north to their destination.
(c) They arre heading west to their destination.
(d) They arre heading east to their destination.
5. What important part of history is happening at the time of the expedition?
(a) The Summer Olympics.
(b) World War I.
(c) The Formula One Grand Prix.
(d) World War II.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which piece of equipment receives positive feedback from the author?
2. Who is the most competent in commanding the wheel?
3. What does the author describe in the story, particularly at the beginning of the book?
4. What is the concept explored by the author in the section that pertains to boats and men?
5. How does John Steinbeck and Ed Ricketts pass the time while their boat is being outfitted?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)