|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through April 22.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On Easter Sunday, despite facing difficulties collecting specimens, Steinbeck and Ricketts are able to catch a significant marine life - what is it?
(a) A shiny, white porpoise.
(b) A large, beautiful lobster.
(c) A small, printed seahorse.
(d) A large, century old turtle.
2. What is taking place on the day before the expedition party leaves for its journey?
(a) A celebration for the success of the expedition.
(b) A mass asking for good harvest.
(c) A celebration marking the end of the sardine fishing season.
(d) A mass to bless the travelers in their journey.
3. How does the author describe the call of the doves?
(a) Seeming to use a great longing and sadness from its listener.
(b) Inspiring, making man want to write a poem about them.
(c) Creepy, making one feel as if he is in a graveyard late at night.
(d) Boring, and does not instill any feeling at all.
4. On March 31, almost three weeks ate sea, what observation does Steinbeck make regarding the collections they have acquired so far?
(a) Steinbeck notes that they have amassed a significant collection, which will fetch good prices at the markets.
(b) Steinbeck notes that they are more interested in the common species rather than the rare species.
(c) Steinbeck observes that they have collected close to a ton of species and they cannot take it all home because it was just too much weight for the boat to take.
(d) Steinbeck notes that their collection is as varied the crew's personalities.
5. How can the crew's dining activities be best described?
(a) The party is eating mostly fish and biscuits, except when Sparky makes spaghetti.
(b) They eat sandwiches day and night, and coffee to go with it.
(c) They refrain from eating fish since it reminds them too much of the species they have collected.
(d) They eat rice and soup, which Sparky makes from the seaweed they have collected.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the porpoises, as observed by Steinbeck and Ricketts?
2. What does the expedition party do on their first night at sea?
3. Why does the party chose not to dock in Guaymas and instead anchor in a nearby bay?
4. Where does the expedition party go on the morning of March 23, Black Saturday?
5. What new species does the crew unsuccessfully try to collect in San Carlos Bay?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)