|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through April 22.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the expedition party do on their last night ashore when their boat is ready and loaded?
(a) They take part in the celebration games.
(b) They pray the rosary.
(c) They sleep early in preparation for the journey.
(d) They drink wine all night and play cards.
2. What does Tiny collect in La Paz?
(a) Spices and herbs that are reputed to be aphrodisiac.
(b) Unremarkable species that are representative of the more common species in the area.
(c) Rare, poisonous fish only seen in La Paz.
(d) Dirty dishes from the various eating places they have visited.
3. Where in Puerto Refugio does the expedition party collect specimens?
(a) They go to the edge of Puerto Refugio and wait for the tide to go down before collecting specimens.
(b) They do not find any place to collect anything from.
(c) They find an area with abundant tidepools and this is where they collect specimens.
(d) They took a small boat to go to the island near Puerto Refugio.
4. What happens when Steinbeck and Ricketts photograph the bonito and other fish?
(a) The pictures don't turn out very well.
(b) They fight on who should take the pictures.
(c) The camera gets wet.
(d) The pictures turn out to be very beautiful
5. Why is the crew unable to collect many specimens on the day following Easter Sunday?
(a) Because the locals will not allow them to take anything from their ocean.
(b) Because the local police arrest Tex for not wearing a t-shirt all the time.
(c) Because Steinbeck and Ricketts get into a fight, making it too awkward to do any collection.
(d) Because the tide does not go very low, making it difficult to collect species in general.
Short Answer Questions
1. What instrument does Raul use, which Steinbeck and Ricketts buy from him?
2. What do the members of the expedition party feel when they see fishermen in their spotless white outfits?
3. How does Steinbeck describe a scientist's reaction to death of a sea creature?
4. What are the two types of biologists, as discussed by John Steinbeck and Ed Ricketts?
5. What difficulty does the expedition party encounter when they were collecting specimen in Cabo San Lucas?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)