|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Unnamed section, p. 55.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are dry-balls?
(a) They are the dried coconut husks used by the local children to play ball.
(b) They are the biologists who study dead, preserved animals.
(c) They are the dried cotton balls brought to sea as part of the medicine kit.
(d) They are the medicines given to the expedition party by the locals.
2. What is interesting about the bonito and other fish that caught Steinbeck and Ricketts' attention?
(a) Their colors are different from when they are alive to when they are dead and preserved.
(b) They change their colors as the sun shines on them.
(c) They swim opposite the sea current.
(d) They swim in groups of twelve.
3. What does the expedition party do on their first night at sea?
(a) They identify the different constellation and gave a price on who can name the most.
(b) They stay out to look at the stars while taking turns on the helm.
(c) They sing love songs and read poems to the stars.
(d) They play cards while drinking beer.
4. What do members of the party feel when they are the one manning the wheel?
(a) The team members feel happy and contented, and would like to remain at sea, when they are manning the wheel.
(b) The team members are excited, causing them to make wrong turns.
(c) The team members feel some pressure when they are manning the wheel, especially when Tony is watching.
(d) The team members feel a but sad and melancholic listening to the sea breeze.
5. What are the two types of biologists, as discussed by John Steinbeck and Ed Ricketts?
(a) Those who teach in the university and those who work for corporations.
(b) Those who work at night and those who work during the day.
(c) Those who study dead, preserved animals and those who study life in all its complexity.
(d) Those who have their own laboratory and those who rent a space for their laboratory works.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Steinbeck and Ricketts photograph the bonito and other fish?
2. What is Tony's requirement to the group?
3. How does Steinbeck describe a scientist's reaction to death of a sea creature?
4. Steinbeck worries about the soldiers' reaction to what during their travel?
5. What is taking place on the day before the expedition party leaves for its journey?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)