|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through March 27.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the newest team member that joins the expedition party on March 23?
(c) No one.
2. What does Steinbeck say about the authors of the descriptions written about Cabo San Lucas?
(a) Each description shows the biases of the author, depending on whether or not they liked their visit to the place.
(b) Each description reflects the world view and personality of the author.
(c) Each description reflects the educational background of the author.
(d) Each description is just a copycat of the earlier description published about the place.
3. What are dry-balls?
(a) They are the biologists who study dead, preserved animals.
(b) They are the dried cotton balls brought to sea as part of the medicine kit.
(c) They are the dried coconut husks used by the local children to play ball.
(d) They are the medicines given to the expedition party by the locals.
4. What happens to the porpoises, as observed by Steinbeck and Ricketts?
(a) They do not make good subject for photographs.
(b) They change colors from when they are alive to when they are dead and preserved.
(c) They do not taste well.
(d) The porpoises have changed from the northern species to a grey, slender, long-nosed species.
5. Which statement best describes the marine life in Puerto Escondido?
(a) The marine life is greatly preserved by the locals, as shown from many posters seen around town.
(b) The number of specimens are reduced because the tide carries them all out of the island.
(c) There is no marine life to speak of.
(d) The number of specimens are increased due to the wide variety of habitats and niches in the entrance of the bay.
Short Answer Questions
1. What observation do Steinbeck and Ricketts have regarding the marine life in Coronado Island and Monterey Bay?
2. What does Tex find out about the skiff's outboard motor?
3. What happens to the outboard motor on Black Saturday, March 23?
4. What are the two types of biologists, as discussed by John Steinbeck and Ed Ricketts?
5. What does the expedition party find on their destination on March 23?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)