|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through March 27.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What observation do Steinbeck and Ricketts have regarding the marine life in Coronado Island and Monterey Bay?
(a) That most species swim in twos.
(b) That many species from the two places appear to be similar.
(c) That most species have a red spot on their tails.
(d) That many species have blue and black dominant colors.
2. What can be found in Laredo that is of particular interest to the expedition party?
(a) A famous scientist and his laboratory.
(b) A famous beach filled with starfishes and sea turtles.
(c) A famous church and its associated mission.
(d) A famous restaurant known for its flapjacks.
3. What does the expedition party find on their destination on March 23?
(a) It has little life form and there is not much of interest to collect.
(b) It was full of other visitors, tourists who have heard about the place, and they cannot do any collection activity.
(c) It requires a visitor's tax and they do not have enough money to pay the tax.
(d) It has abundant life form and they need more tha a month to fully collect all the interesting specimen present.
4. How do the ladies of Laredo react to the expedition party?
(a) The expedition party serves as a source of merriment to the local girls, and the older women cannot stop giggling.
(b) They sell many of their beadworks, telling them that the beads are rare and can only be found in Laredo.
(c) They are offended that the expedition party is allowed to dock in Laredo.
(d) They immediately offer to serve as their housekeepers, promising good food all the time.
5. How does Steinbeck describe a scientist's reaction to death of a sea creature?
(a) He describes the scientist's approach to the experience as someone finally climbing a mountain that is so hard to climb.
(b) He describes the scientist's approach to the experience as an opportunity to learn more about the species.
(c) He describes the scientist's approach to the experience as an exciting adventure.
(d) He describes the scientist's approach to the experience as a child getting the toy that he wished for.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Steinbeck lament about that is in connection with persistence of beliefs and actual happenings?
2. Who is the newest team member that joins the expedition party on March 23?
3. Where does the expedition party go on the morning of March 23, Black Saturday?
4. What happens when Steinbeck and Ricketts photograph the bonito and other fish?
5. What happens to the outboard motor on Black Saturday, March 23?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)