|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through March 27.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the outboard motor on Black Saturday, March 23?
(a) It falls apart and refused to run again.
(b) It does not help them approach the island.
(c) It chug-chugs noisily before breaking apart.
(d) It was stuck by some piece of shirt and can no longer be used.
2. What difficulty does the expedition party encounter when they were collecting specimen in Cabo San Lucas?
(a) The local policemen require that each should have driver's license, which Steinbeck and Ricketts do not have.
(b) The locals do not want them to go ashore which make collecting specimen an impossibility.
(c) Collecting specimens is difficult due to the unique characteristics of the species such as the posionous spines of the worms which was hazardous to the activity.
(d) The local officials do not want them to take anything away, and suggest instead that they study the specimen while they are ashore.
3. What can be found in Laredo that is of particular interest to the expedition party?
(a) A famous beach filled with starfishes and sea turtles.
(b) A famous restaurant known for its flapjacks.
(c) A famous church and its associated mission.
(d) A famous scientist and his laboratory.
4. What do Steinbeck and Ricketts do to Tiny's prey?
(a) They crack its shell and use it as soup bowls.
(b) They cut the legs and collect them in a jar filled with water.
(c) They dissect it to learn what they can.
(d) They cut the meat and make a stew out of it.
5. What does Steinbeck say about the authors of the descriptions written about Cabo San Lucas?
(a) Each description is just a copycat of the earlier description published about the place.
(b) Each description reflects the educational background of the author.
(c) Each description shows the biases of the author, depending on whether or not they liked their visit to the place.
(d) Each description reflects the world view and personality of the author.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Steinbeck lament about that is in connection with persistence of beliefs and actual happenings?
2. What happens to the porpoises, as observed by Steinbeck and Ricketts?
3. What are the two types of biologists, as discussed by John Steinbeck and Ed Ricketts?
4. How do the ladies of Laredo react to the expedition party?
5. What does Steinbeck notice about the sense of time of the local people of Cabo San Lucas?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)