|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through March 27.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Steinbeck and Ricketts do to Tiny's prey?
(a) They crack its shell and use it as soup bowls.
(b) They cut the meat and make a stew out of it.
(c) They cut the legs and collect them in a jar filled with water.
(d) They dissect it to learn what they can.
2. What does Steinbeck say about the authors of the descriptions written about Cabo San Lucas?
(a) Each description reflects the world view and personality of the author.
(b) Each description shows the biases of the author, depending on whether or not they liked their visit to the place.
(c) Each description is just a copycat of the earlier description published about the place.
(d) Each description reflects the educational background of the author.
3. What happens to the outboard motor on Black Saturday, March 23?
(a) It was stuck by some piece of shirt and can no longer be used.
(b) It chug-chugs noisily before breaking apart.
(c) It falls apart and refused to run again.
(d) It does not help them approach the island.
4. What does Steinbeck think about the various descriptions they have read of Cabo San Lucas?
(a) Descriptions were very creative, as there was really nothing much to say about Cabo San Lucas.
(b) No two descriptions of Cabo San Lucas are alike.
(c) Descriptions were exaggerating and that the place is overrated.
(d) Descriptions of Cabo San Lucas did not capture the abundance of marine life in the area.
5. What does Steinbeck lament about that is in connection with persistence of beliefs and actual happenings?
(a) That actual happenings are always distorted to give way to more controversial beliefs.
(b) That actual happenings are actually the basis of many persistent beliefs.
(c) That a good hypothesis can blind a person to alternative theories and even to actual data that could disprove it.
(d) That persistence of beliefs can actually lead to actual happenings.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is interesting about the bonito and other fish that caught Steinbeck and Ricketts' attention?
2. What does Tiny do when they reach Magdalena Bay?
3. What does the expedition party find when they finally landed on the shores of San Jose Island?
4. Which statement best describes the marine life in Puerto Escondido?
5. What does the expedition party do on their last night ashore when their boat is ready and loaded?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)