|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through March 27.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the expedition party do on their last night ashore when their boat is ready and loaded?
(a) They drink wine all night and play cards.
(b) They take part in the celebration games.
(c) They sleep early in preparation for the journey.
(d) They pray the rosary.
2. Where does the expedition party go after Laredo?
(a) North to La Luz.
(b) North to Coronado Island.
(c) North to Escondido Bay.
(d) North to Punta Fuego.
3. Which statement best describes the marine life in Puerto Escondido?
(a) There is no marine life to speak of.
(b) The marine life is greatly preserved by the locals, as shown from many posters seen around town.
(c) The number of specimens are increased due to the wide variety of habitats and niches in the entrance of the bay.
(d) The number of specimens are reduced because the tide carries them all out of the island.
4. What type of biologist is preferred by John Steinbeck?
(a) The type who studies life in all its complexities.
(b) The type who work for the big corporations.
(c) The type who study dead, preserved animals.
(d) The type who teaches in the university.
5. What does Steinbeck say about the authors of the descriptions written about Cabo San Lucas?
(a) Each description reflects the world view and personality of the author.
(b) Each description is just a copycat of the earlier description published about the place.
(c) Each description shows the biases of the author, depending on whether or not they liked their visit to the place.
(d) Each description reflects the educational background of the author.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Steinbeck describe a scientist's reaction to death of a sea creature?
2. Where does the expedition party go on the morning of March 23, Black Saturday?
3. What are the two types of biologists, as discussed by John Steinbeck and Ed Ricketts?
4. What happens when Steinbeck and Ricketts photograph the bonito and other fish?
5. What is interesting about the bonito and other fish that caught Steinbeck and Ricketts' attention?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)