|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through April 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the best description for Angeles Bay?
(a) It is where several expedition parties meet up and exchange information.
(b) It is the last collecting stop of the expedition on the west side of the Gulf.
(c) It is a trading town where goods can be exchanged, sold and bought.
(d) It is the last place where expedition party members can grab a few drinks before getting back to the boat.
2. What does the author tell us about the camera that they brought in the expedition?
(a) They wish they bought several batteries, because the batteries ran out even before they were halfway on the trip.
(b) They realize that they should have bought an underwater camera to be able to take pictures of marine life in the water.
(c) They are so grateful that they brought the camera with them, as it has captured so many photographs of the expedition.
(d) They have been having trouble all along with the camera and they finally decided to figure out what to do with it.
3. What does the party find in Angeles Bay?
(a) They find that it was closed to tourists and voyagers and they had to return to sea immediately.
(b) There seems to be an unknown settlement with a very odd sense of something strange going on.
(c) They find that there are a dozen men who want to be part of their team.
(d) They find another expedition party heading to the same destination like them.
4. How does the author describe the Mexicans and Americans that they meet in Angeles Bay?
(a) They are easily identifiable from the tattoo that they have on their arm.
(b) They claim to be fishing but seem overly interested in what the expedition is doing and when they are leaving.
(c) They all wear straw hats and Hawaiian shirts.
(d) They claim to be friends of Tiny and Sparky and insisted on joining them.
5. How is the team's photography effort described in general?
(a) It is so poor that it is used as an example of what shouldn't be done with a camera.
(b) There is nothing mentioned about the team's photography efforts.
(c) It is so remarkable that it is cited as an example of what expeditions should follow during voyages.
(d) It is neither remarkably good or remarkably bad.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Cabo San Lucas?
2. What is Steinbeck's thesis about origins of names of places, specifically California?
3. After facing difficulties collecting specimens, what do Steinbeck and Ricketts do instead on Easter Sunday ?
4. What feeling does the expedition party have as they leave Angeles Bay?
5. On Easter Sunday, despite facing difficulties collecting specimens, Steinbeck and Ricketts are able to catch a significant marine life - what is it?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)