|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through April 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What limitation does the expedition party have that is particular to their voyage?
(a) They can only sail in the morning because their light is not as powerful as those of the other voyages.
(b) They only have six weeks to complete their entire voyage, on top of constraints presented by the tides.
(c) They have a limited supply of food and drinks, and medicine, too.
(d) They have only a small crew compared to other voyages with dozens of crew on board.
2. Why is the crew unable to collect many specimens on the day following Easter Sunday?
(a) Because the locals will not allow them to take anything from their ocean.
(b) Because the tide does not go very low, making it difficult to collect species in general.
(c) Because the local police arrest Tex for not wearing a t-shirt all the time.
(d) Because Steinbeck and Ricketts get into a fight, making it too awkward to do any collection.
3. How does the author describe the Mexicans and Americans that they meet in Angeles Bay?
(a) They are easily identifiable from the tattoo that they have on their arm.
(b) They all wear straw hats and Hawaiian shirts.
(c) They claim to be friends of Tiny and Sparky and insisted on joining them.
(d) They claim to be fishing but seem overly interested in what the expedition is doing and when they are leaving.
4. What is the best description for Angeles Bay?
(a) It is the last place where expedition party members can grab a few drinks before getting back to the boat.
(b) It is a trading town where goods can be exchanged, sold and bought.
(c) It is where several expedition parties meet up and exchange information.
(d) It is the last collecting stop of the expedition on the west side of the Gulf.
5. What is Steinbeck's thesis about origins of names of places, specifically California?
(a) That names are usually given by the first priest to reside in the place.
(b) That names arise organically from the places themselves as much as they do from any purposeful naming of them.
(c) That the first settlers usually name the place after their first born.
(d) That names are randomly selected during the full moon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a Sally Lightfoot crab?
2. On Easter Sunday, despite facing difficulties collecting specimens, Steinbeck and Ricketts are able to catch a significant marine life - what is it?
3. What feeling does the expedition party have as they leave Angeles Bay?
4. After facing difficulties collecting specimens, what do Steinbeck and Ricketts do instead on Easter Sunday ?
5. How is the team's photography effort described in general?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)