|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through April 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After facing difficulties collecting specimens, what do Steinbeck and Ricketts do instead on Easter Sunday ?
(a) Steinbeck and Ricketts hire several locals to do it for them.
(b) They place a light near the surface of the water, and catch what the light attracts.
(c) They place a big basin just near the shore and catch whatever the tide brings in.
(d) Tex, Tiny and Sparky are tasked to catch everything that comes ashore.
2. What is a Sally Lightfoot crab?
(a) It is a particularly agile, small crab which seems to elude every attempt for its capture.
(b) It is a female crab with a very unique tattoo on its shell, shaped like a foot.
(c) It is a female crab which clings to people's feet.
(d) It is a small crab with giant feet, and the name is meant as a private joke among residents of Cabo San Lucas.
3. What is the best description for Angeles Bay?
(a) It is a trading town where goods can be exchanged, sold and bought.
(b) It is the last place where expedition party members can grab a few drinks before getting back to the boat.
(c) It is the last collecting stop of the expedition on the west side of the Gulf.
(d) It is where several expedition parties meet up and exchange information.
4. What does the author tell us about the camera that they brought in the expedition?
(a) They wish they bought several batteries, because the batteries ran out even before they were halfway on the trip.
(b) They realize that they should have bought an underwater camera to be able to take pictures of marine life in the water.
(c) They have been having trouble all along with the camera and they finally decided to figure out what to do with it.
(d) They are so grateful that they brought the camera with them, as it has captured so many photographs of the expedition.
5. How does the author describe the Mexicans and Americans that they meet in Angeles Bay?
(a) They are easily identifiable from the tattoo that they have on their arm.
(b) They claim to be fishing but seem overly interested in what the expedition is doing and when they are leaving.
(c) They all wear straw hats and Hawaiian shirts.
(d) They claim to be friends of Tiny and Sparky and insisted on joining them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Cabo San Lucas?
2. What feeling does the expedition party have as they leave Angeles Bay?
3. What do the Mexican officials do with the expedition party?
4. What limitation does the expedition party have that is particular to their voyage?
5. What is Steinbeck's thesis about origins of names of places, specifically California?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)