|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which guard's name means "witch"?
2. What does Alicia think she looks like?
3. What happened to Graciela's son?
4. Who did the denim jacket previously belong to?
5. In what year was Alicia Partnoy born?
Short Essay Questions
1. How can Alicia guess Vasca's mood each day?
2. Why was Alicia suspicious of a newspaper report that surfaced claiming two couples were killed in a confrontation with the military in their area?
3. How does the bread help to give the prisoners strength?
4. Rosa has seen one of the guards' faces---what is he worried about?
5. How does she feel when she is able to wash her hands with the leak?
6. What does the denim jacket mean to Alicia?
7. Why does Alicia make the bread balls?
8. How do the prisoners communicate with the bread?
9. What character trait helps Alicia get through many of her trials at the Little School?
10. After the military visitor comes, where do the prisoners have to brush their teeth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is living different than simply surviving? Is Partnoy's work a testament to this difference? Why or why not? What attempts does Partnoy make in the Little School to live and not simply to survive? Choose at least three instances in the work where she makes a conscious effort to exist beyond the status quo, despite her horrible surroundings.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Benja's first night. How does Alicia know him? How does Maria Elena know him? What are the guards doing to him? How does Alicia try to help him? How do they others try to help him? What insights do Alicia's attempts at aiding Benja give into her character?
Essay Topic 3
Why is it impossible for Alicia to think of the word "Senor" in the same way? How was the word forever changed for her at the Little School? Who else at the Little School hated the use of the word? Why were they forced to use the word so often? What was the irony in calling the guards "Senor"?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)