|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Graciela giving birth?
2. What does one guard do when Alicia asks him for water?
3. After the visitor leaves, where must the prisoners brush their teeth?
4. Which of these guards was a shift supervisor?
5. Alicia compares receiving a piece of bread to receiving what?
Short Essay Questions
1. When a batch of new prisoners arrive, what is Alicia requested to do?
2. What does water do for Alicia in Beauty Treatment?
3. What does Alicia say is the only thing certain in their lives other than bread?
4. What does the name "Patichoti" mean?
5. What happens to Alicia when the raindrop falls on her forehead?
6. What are the two fierce shadows of Alicia's poem?
7. What character trait helps Alicia get through many of her trials at the Little School?
8. After the military visitor comes, where do the prisoners have to brush their teeth?
9. What does the denim jacket mean to Alicia?
10. What happened to Alicia the first time she called for a "Senor"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is studying history important? How does the study of history help us to:
1) Reexamine past mistakes?
2) Plan for the future?
3) Gain a greater understanding of our heritage as human beings?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Alicia's poem about the stream.
1) What symbolism or metaphor is present in the poem?
2) Why does Alicia choose to recite the poem when she does?
3) Why do you think the guards are convince the poem is something subversive?
Essay Topic 3
At the Little School, the prisoners were physically detained and bound, but the guards were more worried about their mental freedom. Why would that appear more dangerous than the prisoners' physical freedom? How does Alicia feel about being spiritually and mentally free? Discuss the different physical and mental restraints at the Little School. How does Alicia attempt to overcome such restraints?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)