|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What beauty treatment is Alicia told to perform?
2. Though Chiche went to the university, what has he become?
3. Where is Graciela giving birth?
4. With whom is Maria Elena in love?
5. How long has it been since to two women have been able to talk?
Short Essay Questions
1. When a batch of new prisoners arrive, what is Alicia requested to do?
2. Why do the prisoners hate the word "Senor"?
3. Why does Alicia make the bread balls?
4. How do the prisoners communicate with the bread?
5. What character trait helps Alicia get through many of her trials at the Little School?
6. Why was Alicia suspicious of a newspaper report that surfaced claiming two couples were killed in a confrontation with the military in their area?
7. Why were high school students taken prisoner at the Little School?
8. What happened to Alicia the first time she called for a "Senor"?
9. What happens to Alicia when the raindrop falls on her forehead?
10. What is the subject of chapter 11, A Puzzle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alicia mentions that the government began to release people after getting pressure internationally. Do you think without such pressure the atrocities would have continued? Why or why not? As members of the world community, how responsible are we to aid in such situations? Can you think of any other humanitarian situation recently where the international community became involved? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Examine Alicia's poem about the stream.
1) What symbolism or metaphor is present in the poem?
2) Why does Alicia choose to recite the poem when she does?
3) Why do you think the guards are convince the poem is something subversive?
Essay Topic 3
Why is it impossible for Alicia to think of the word "Senor" in the same way? How was the word forever changed for her at the Little School? Who else at the Little School hated the use of the word? Why were they forced to use the word so often? What was the irony in calling the guards "Senor"?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)