|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How were Maria Elena and Benja killed?
2. What sound does she perceive the drip cans to be making?
3. How far along in her pregnancy was Graciela at the time of her arrest?
4. How does the denim jacket make Alicia feel?
5. Which of these guards was a shift supervisor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to the son Graciela bore at the Little School?
2. After the military visitor comes, where do the prisoners have to brush their teeth?
3. What does the name "Patichoti" mean?
4. Why is the guards' choice of Chinese water torture ridiculous?
5. What does Vaca do just before he brings the prisoners the toothbrushes?
6. When a batch of new prisoners arrive, what is Alicia requested to do?
7. Why are Alicia and her husband placed side by side?
8. Why were high school students taken prisoner at the Little School?
9. What was Alicia on the early bus to the suburbs?
10. What is the subject of chapter 11, A Puzzle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alicia mentions that the government began to release people after getting pressure internationally. Do you think without such pressure the atrocities would have continued? Why or why not? As members of the world community, how responsible are we to aid in such situations? Can you think of any other humanitarian situation recently where the international community became involved? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Examine Alicia's poem about the stream.
1) What symbolism or metaphor is present in the poem?
2) Why does Alicia choose to recite the poem when she does?
3) Why do you think the guards are convince the poem is something subversive?
Essay Topic 3
Though the prisoners are forced to endure physical torture, they must also endure psychological torture. How is psychological torture different from physical torture? Choose two instances of psychological torture to discuss. How effective is the psychological torture at the Little School? How do the prisoners deal with it?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)