|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Alicia while waiting her turn to brush her teeth?
2. What does she dream of as it rains?
3. What does the name "Patichoti" mean?
4. Where is Graciela giving birth?
5. Once when the guard does not answer her, what does Alicia do to give Pato some bread?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the bread help to give the prisoners strength?
2. What character trait helps Alicia get through many of her trials at the Little School?
3. What was the Gendarme Nacional?
4. What are the two fierce shadows of Alicia's poem?
5. What does water do for Alicia in Beauty Treatment?
6. While interrogating Alicia's husband, what do the guards think about the stream poem?
7. What happened to the son Graciela bore at the Little School?
8. Why was Alicia suspicious of a newspaper report that surfaced claiming two couples were killed in a confrontation with the military in their area?
9. What happens to Alicia when the raindrop falls on her forehead?
10. Why are Alicia and her husband placed side by side?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is living different than simply surviving? Is Partnoy's work a testament to this difference? Why or why not? What attempts does Partnoy make in the Little School to live and not simply to survive? Choose at least three instances in the work where she makes a conscious effort to exist beyond the status quo, despite her horrible surroundings.
Essay Topic 2
Alicia mentions that the government began to release people after getting pressure internationally. Do you think without such pressure the atrocities would have continued? Why or why not? As members of the world community, how responsible are we to aid in such situations? Can you think of any other humanitarian situation recently where the international community became involved? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the denim jacket.
1) Where does the jacket come from?
2) Why is Alicia both excited and horrified by the jacket?
3) What does the jacket symbolize?
4) Why does Alicia feel less pain when beaten with the jacket on?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)