|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alicia compares receiving a piece of bread to receiving what?
2. What does eating the bread remind the prisoner of?
3. Because of the leaks, whose bed is Alicia moved close to?
4. On one very hot afternoon, what does Bruja force the prisoners to do?
5. One day upon catching sight of Maria Elena, what does Alicia create?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does she feel when she is able to wash her hands with the leak?
2. What does water do for Alicia in Beauty Treatment?
3. What does the denim jacket mean to Alicia?
4. What was the Gendarme Nacional?
5. How does the bread help to give the prisoners strength?
6. Why do the prisoners hate the word "Senor"?
7. Why was Alicia suspicious of a newspaper report that surfaced claiming two couples were killed in a confrontation with the military in their area?
8. What was Alicia on the early bus to the suburbs?
9. What does Death take from the old man because She has an overcrowded carriage?
10. While interrogating Alicia's husband, what do the guards think about the stream poem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alicia mentions that the government began to release people after getting pressure internationally. Do you think without such pressure the atrocities would have continued? Why or why not? As members of the world community, how responsible are we to aid in such situations? Can you think of any other humanitarian situation recently where the international community became involved? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Benja's first night. How does Alicia know him? How does Maria Elena know him? What are the guards doing to him? How does Alicia try to help him? How do they others try to help him? What insights do Alicia's attempts at aiding Benja give into her character?
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Alicia using information from the work. Be sure to include:
1) What are her values?
2) What does she believe in?
3) How does she stay true to herself?
4) What are her goals?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)