|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alicia pass to Benja?
2. About how many Argentines "disappeared" between 1976 and 1979?
3. What treat was Alicia promised for her birthday?
4. How many operations had Alicia had on her nose?
5. What kind of dress does Graciela wear?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why isn't Alicia frightened when Chiche threatens to make soap out of her?
2. How does Alicia counteract her unwanted nickname?
3. What kind of God does Alicia want to believe in?
4. When told to slap Hugo in the face, what does Alicia do instead?
5. How was Graciela and Raul's relationship before the Little School?
6. What does it mean to be "disappeared"?
7. Why does Alicia realize the music from the radio is not being played for her birthday?
8. What is the "little train"?
9. What action does the coup spur young Alicia to take?
10. After waking from a nap about her daughter, what does Alicia discover about herself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the denim jacket.
1) Where does the jacket come from?
2) Why is Alicia both excited and horrified by the jacket?
3) What does the jacket symbolize?
4) Why does Alicia feel less pain when beaten with the jacket on?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Alicia using information from the work. Be sure to include:
1) What are her values?
2) What does she believe in?
3) How does she stay true to herself?
4) What are her goals?
Essay Topic 3
Water is used throughout the text. What does water typically symbolize? What does it symbolize for Alicia? How does water play into everyday life at the Little School? Why isn't Alicia bothered by the Chinese water torture? Choose at least three instances in the work involving water. Compare and contract the role of water throughout the work.
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)