|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the game end as quickly as it begins?
2. Who is Adrianita?
3. For what medicine must Alicia ask the doctor?
4. After the entire night tied up, what is Benja finally allowed to do?
5. How many times around the table did the doctor prescribe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a military coup?
2. What is the "little train"?
3. Why have Alicia and her nose reconciled at the Little School?
4. What thought causes Alicia to stop being amused at Patichoti's jokes?
5. How was Graciela and Raul's relationship before the Little School?
6. Why do the guards call Alicia "Death"?
7. After waking from a nap about her daughter, what does Alicia discover about herself?
8. How does Alicia counteract her unwanted nickname?
9. Why do the guards begin granting the prisoners privileges?
10. Before the Little School, what problems did Alicia have with her nose?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Benja's first night. How does Alicia know him? How does Maria Elena know him? What are the guards doing to him? How does Alicia try to help him? How do they others try to help him? What insights do Alicia's attempts at aiding Benja give into her character?
Essay Topic 2
Though the prisoners are forced to endure physical torture, they must also endure psychological torture. How is psychological torture different from physical torture? Choose two instances of psychological torture to discuss. How effective is the psychological torture at the Little School? How do the prisoners deal with it?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the one flower slippers? What do they represent? What do they mean to Alicia and Vasca? Why is the large plastic flower so ridiculous given their situation? How long does it take for Alicia to get "decent" shoes? Discuss the symbolism of the one-flower slipper covered in excrement from the latrine.
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)