|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the guards' euphemism for death and burial?
2. What does Alicia pass to Benja?
3. After the entire night tied up, what is Benja finally allowed to do?
4. What does Alicia specifically not want from God?
5. Where do the prisoners go to relieve themselves?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Alicia surprised when the military police come for her?
2. After she is taken, what does Alicia realize about her flight to Mary and Nestor's house?
3. Why is Graciela assigned to walk around the table?
4. Later, what does Alicia learn about the usefulness of aliases?
5. Why does Alicia challenge the guard to an arm-wrestling match?
6. What kind of God does Alicia want to believe in?
7. Why do Alicia and Vasca find the plastic daisy so ludicrous?
8. Before the Little School, what problems did Alicia have with her nose?
9. Why isn't Alicia frightened when Chiche threatens to make soap out of her?
10. What does Alicia do to try and comfort Benja?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the one flower slippers? What do they represent? What do they mean to Alicia and Vasca? Why is the large plastic flower so ridiculous given their situation? How long does it take for Alicia to get "decent" shoes? Discuss the symbolism of the one-flower slipper covered in excrement from the latrine.
Essay Topic 2
How is living different than simply surviving? Is Partnoy's work a testament to this difference? Why or why not? What attempts does Partnoy make in the Little School to live and not simply to survive? Choose at least three instances in the work where she makes a conscious effort to exist beyond the status quo, despite her horrible surroundings.
Essay Topic 3
Why is it impossible for Alicia to think of the word "Senor" in the same way? How was the word forever changed for her at the Little School? Who else at the Little School hated the use of the word? Why were they forced to use the word so often? What was the irony in calling the guards "Senor"?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)