|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 35, what does Samy get Perdu and Max?
2. How old is Samantha in Chapter 31?
3. In Chapter 32, what does Samy remember that her father used to call her?
4. In Chapter 35, what color car do Perdu and Max rent?
5. At the end of Chapter 33, what is the date of Manon's Travel Diary?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 33, what were the only things that Manon took for the cancer and why?
2. How did the deer's death affect the men in Chapter 27?
3. In Chapter 25, why are Perdu, Max, and Cuneo told to leave Briare?
4. Why did Samy write Southern Lights?
5. What areas does Cuneo lay claim to in Chapter 24 when he joins Perdu and Max on the barge?
6. In Chapter 22, what is the woman like that Perdu suggests Max dance with?
7. In Chapter 26, how do Perdu, Max, and Cuneo try to help a drowning deer?
8. On what conditions does Perdu want Cuneo and Samy to take his barge?
9. Why does Cuneo have to leave Zelda and Javier's home before dinner?
10. In Chapter 32, how long and when does Perdu say that he was genuinely happy in one stretch?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Perdu has turned inward and avoided people since he lost his love over 20 years ago. How does Perdu give up his identity as he grieves his lost love?
Essay Topic 2
In the novel, there are round and flat characters. Who are some characters that are merely named in passing or have a minor role in the novel? What is the importance of these flat characters to the story line? In what way do these characters make the main characters more colorful or interesting? When there is conflict, what type of role do these flat characters play?
Essay Topic 3
Perdu has danced the tango with Manon and encounters a secret tango dance during his travels. Why was it so important to Manon that Perdu learn how to dance the tango, and how did dancing the tango help Perdu become a man who was more free to love?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)