|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 9, what does Perdu bring his father?
2. In Chapter 18, who cheers when Perdu manages to turn the barge so it is no longer stuck, and it is facing the right direction?
3. In Chapter 4, how old is the girl who wants to read a set of encyclopedias before she turns 21?
4. How many push-ups does Perdu do at the beginning of Chapter 13?
5. What do Madame Bernard and Madame Rosalette want Monsieur Perdu to give in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 2, what book does Perdu give a customer and how does he tell her to read it?
2. In Chapter 11, what does Catherine say about life with her ex-husband?
3. How does Perdu get his boat ready to sail?
4. Why does Perdu feel sick that he did not read Manon's letter?
5. In Chapter 5, how does Perdu say that he knows what books are suitable for people?
6. What does Catherine tell Perdu in a note in Chapter 9?
7. How did Perdu learn to drive a cargo boat?
8. Why did Manon leave Perdu?
9. What types of buildings and shops are in Perdu's neighborhood?
10. In Chapter 4, why does Perdu say that he named his barge the "Literary Apothecary"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Perdu has turned inward and avoided people since he lost his love over 20 years ago. How does Perdu give up his identity as he grieves his lost love?
Essay Topic 2
Cuneo was never able to accept the reality of who his lover, Vivette had become. How do both Cuneo and Perdu refuse to accept reality and loss and how does it affect their characters?
Essay Topic 3
Elaia has been dealing with cancer since she was a child. What is revealed about the struggle to live through Elaia and the name that she gives her cancer?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)