|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Catherine wearing in Chapter 10?
2. In Chapter 8, what was the name of Perdu's lover?
3. In Chapter 18, what nationality is the person who yells at Perdu when the barge is jammed across the river?
4. In Chapter 19, when Max asks if they can join some women for dinner, what are the women cooking?
5. In Chapter 9, what exercises does Perdu do after taking a shower?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Perdu feel sick that he did not read Manon's letter?
2. In Chapter 18, what does Max say about his father and what his father said when Max offered to supplement his father's income?
3. In Chapter 11, what does Catherine say about life with her ex-husband?
4. What can Perdu smell in Chapter 1 when he opens a casement window?
5. How does Perdu get his boat ready to sail?
6. In Chapter 2, what book does Perdu give a customer and how does he tell her to read it?
7. How did Perdu learn to drive a cargo boat?
8. In Chapter 10, how does Perdu feel when he is at Catherine's flat?
9. In Chapter 5, how does Perdu say that he knows what books are suitable for people?
10. What is Catherine looking for in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the novel, there are round and flat characters. Who are some characters that are merely named in passing or have a minor role in the novel? What is the importance of these flat characters to the story line? In what way do these characters make the main characters more colorful or interesting? When there is conflict, what type of role do these flat characters play?
Essay Topic 2
Perdu is shaped by the events in his life. What does the author convey about how life events make people who they are through the experiences that Perdu has?
Essay Topic 3
There are several different settings in the novel. How does the setting of the book in Sanary almost take on the quality of a character, and how does Perdu interact with the setting and allow it to bring him healing?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)