|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 10, Peter the Venerable to Heloise, Letter 11, Heloise, Letter to Peter the Venerable, Letter 12, Peter the Venerable, Letter to Heloise, The Absolution for Peter Abelard, Two Hymns.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the contents of the letter Heloise saw?
(a) Heloise's father asking the authorities to punish Abelard.
(b) Heloise's mother asking her husband to be lenient on Abelard.
(c) Heloise's father asking his men to take revenge.
(d) Abelard lamenting his and Heloise's plight.
2. How does Abelard define poverty?
(a) Refusal to own property.
(b) Wealth in divine possessions.
(d) Lack of property.
3. How does Abelard say women acted in the early church?
(a) He says that women were the first to ask for rules of worship.
(b) He says that women were devoted to Christ early on.
(c) He says that women were among the first to persecute the apostles.
(d) He says that women doubted Christ's divinity.
4. How does Heloise open her first letter to Abelard?
(a) By saying that she saw a letter the abbot was going to send to Abelard.
(b) By saying that she saw a letter her father had written to the abbot.
(c) By saying that she saw a letter her father was going to send to his henchmen.
(d) By saying that she saw a letter he had written to a friend.
5. What explanation does Abelard offer for his trials?
(a) His sins.
(b) Malicious men.
(c) Original sin.
(d) Cruel fate.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the tone of the first part of Letter 9?
2. What condition did Abelard impose on his marriage with Heloise?
3. What does Abelard rely on in providing a rule for the lives of the nuns at Paraclete?
4. In Letter 5, what does Abelard ask Heloise to stop in the future?
5. What does Peter the Venerable say Abelard's last days with him were devoted to?
This section contains 314 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)