|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 7, Abelard to Heloise.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Abelard seduce Heloise?
(a) He lodged with her family.
(b) He sent her anonymous letters.
(c) He took her on as a private student in his home.
(d) He stole her away from her parents.
2. What does Heloise say in Letter 6 that she cannot make herself do?
(a) Obey Abelard.
(b) Seek God.
(c) Beg for forgiveness.
3. In Letter 5, what does Abelard ask Heloise to stop in the future?
(a) Doubting God's grace.
(b) Writing him with her complaints.
(c) Trying to see him.
(d) Rebelling against fate.
4. In what way did Abelard establish his reputation and earn a following?
(a) Studying with Anselm of Laon.
(b) Fighting with William of Champeaux.
(c) Debating philosophy.
(d) Debating scripture.
5. What does Heloise remind Abelard of?
(a) How he resisted her requests to marry.
(b) How he was brave in the face of her father's disapproval.
(c) How she resisted his advances.
(d) How she resisted his requests to marry.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who were monks and nuns imitating, according to Abelard?
2. Who was Abelard's second enemy in the university system?
3. How, in Letter 5, does Abelard say Heloise should see him now?
4. In what way does Heloise say Abelard disregarded custom?
5. How did the practice of nunnery change in the early church?
This section contains 267 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)