|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Rocio wish for in relation to her return to her work site?
2. Which of the following causes Rocio to return to her job after it ends?
3. Whom of the following is Rocio's "evil" professor?
4. What is the surname of the wealthy family that is mentioned in the Shooting Stars section of the book?
5. Which of the following states is Rocio's destination every summer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Based on the narrative of the Space is a Solid section of the book, what does Rocio do that changes Nita Wembley's opinion about her to the point of threatening to report her to the drama department head at the college?
2. Based on the narrative in The Last of the Menu Girls section of the book, what are some of the ways in which Rocio shows compassion as she performs her job at the hospital?
3. Based on the text in The Last of the Menu Girls section of the book, what were some of the factors that contributed to Rocio's decision not to pursue a career in the medical field?
4. According to the narrative in The Last of the Menu Girls section of the book, what is the real reason that Rocio has accepted a summer job as a food worker at the hospital?
5. According to the Shooting Stars section of the book, is there a single factor that contributes toward Rocio being able to gain a positive outlook on herself, her worthiness, and an apparent realization that she will not need to adjust her life to be like that of Eloisa's, Diana's, Josie's, or Barbara's in order to attain happiness?
6. According to the narrative in the Shooting Stars section of the book, aside from beauty and proximity in age, is there yet another contributing factor that inspires Rocio to want to be like Josie's best friend, Barbara?
7. According to the narrative in The Last of the Menu Girls section of the book, how does Rocio, while working at the hospital, witness a two-part act of discrimination hurled at an illegal Mexican by a pair of "legal" Hispanics?
8. According to the narrative in The Last of the Menu Girls section of the book, what does Rocio's training in the medical field consist of during the time that she works at the hospital?
9. According to the narrative in the Shooting Stars section of the book, is Rocio more impressed with Josie Marquez's wealth; or the beauty enhancements that she apparently applies to herself?
10. Based on the narrative in the Space is a Solid section of the book, what tasks associated with her costume room-related job does Rocio not like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several depictions of conflict that occur in Rocio's life throughout the book. Select a moment of conflict in Rocio's life that is depicted in the book, detail it, along with the basis for your decision to deem your selection appropriate for the writing of this essay assignment.
Essay Topic 2
Detail the common thread that binds Rocio's interest in spending time with Eloisa, Diana, Josie, and Barbara at the time that Rocio meets each of them; and the common thread that unravels her interest to continue to spend time with any of them. Cite text from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Rocio's relationship with her mother, Nieves is depicted as distant throughout the book. What are some of the factors that contribute to that type of relationship existing between mother and daughter? Support your statements with text from the book.
This section contains 1,267 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)