|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is the classification of Rocio's boyfriend at the university?
2. What type of class is Rocio teaching while going to school?
3. What does Rocio learn to value about herself close to the end of the Shooting Stars section of the book?
4. Which of the following is Rocio's boyfriend?
5. Which of the following incidents has positioned the illegal citizen in Rocio's path?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the narrative in the Shooting Stars section of the book, is Rocio more impressed with Josie Marquez's wealth; or the beauty enhancements that she apparently applies to herself?
2. As the story progresses in the Space is a Solid section of the book, what are some of the things that Loudon does and/or fails to do that tarnish his image in terms of being "the bright spot" in Rocio's life?
3. Based on the narrative in The Last of the Menu Girls section of the book, what are some of the ways in which Rocio shows compassion as she performs her job at the hospital?
4. Based on the text in The Last of the Menu Girls section of the book, what is an accurate description of Rocio's outlook toward her job?
5. Based on the narrative in the Shooting Stars section of the book, what is it that Rocio's distant relative, Eloisa, is able to provide that inspires Rocio to want to spend a lot of time with her?
6. According to the narrative in the Space is a Solid section of the book, how can Nita Wembley be characterized?
7. According to the text in the Space is a Solid section of the book, graduate student, Loudon Reily is the single bright spot in Rocio's life at college. What does Loudon do in order to merit the label of "single bright spot" in Rocio's life as a co-ed?
8. Based on the narrative in the Space is a Solid section of the book, what tasks associated with her costume room-related job does Rocio not like?
9. What clues are included in the narrative of the Space is a Solid section of the book, that indicate that Rocio may not really be interested in a long-term relationship with Loudon?
10. According to the Shooting Stars section of the book, is there a single factor that contributes toward Rocio being able to gain a positive outlook on herself, her worthiness, and an apparent realization that she will not need to adjust her life to be like that of Eloisa's, Diana's, Josie's, or Barbara's in order to attain happiness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In college and rooming with her boyfriend, Loudon, Rocio entertains thoughts of escaping to the arms of one of Loudon's friends, and getting a place of her own. Explain how certain events in Rocio's life prior to college, as described in the book, are likely to have foreshadowed her desire to change her collegiate love interest and living arrangements.
Essay Topic 2
Is the relationship that is maintained between Nieves and Mercy throughout the book, one that lacks warmth? Or is the relationship one that is filled with warmth? Regardless of what your position may be, is it Nieves or Mercy who is largely responsible for the apparent existence of warmth or the lack of it that exists in their relationship? Support your statements with text from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Does Rocio maintain a close or distant relationship with her sister, Mercy throughout the book? Please elaborate on your position by citing text from the book.
This section contains 1,243 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)