|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes the reason that the two women dislike the illegal citizen?
2. Which of the following is Rocio in charge of maintaining while on the job?
3. Which of the following is associated with Rocio's job at the University?
4. Which of the following serves as a basis for the changes that Rocio experiences in the Shooting Stars section of the book?
5. What type of class is Rocio teaching while going to school?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the narrative in The Last of the Menu Girls section of the book, how does Rocio, while working at the hospital, witness a two-part act of discrimination hurled at an illegal Mexican by a pair of "legal" Hispanics?
2. Based on the text in The Last of the Menu Girls section of the book, what were some of the factors that contributed to Rocio's decision not to pursue a career in the medical field?
3. Based on the narrative of the Space is a Solid section of the book, what does Rocio do that changes Nita Wembley's opinion about her to the point of threatening to report her to the drama department head at the college?
4. According to the narrative in the Space is a Solid section of the book, how can Nita Wembley be characterized?
5. Based on the text in The Last of the Menu Girls section of the book, what is an accurate description of Rocio's outlook toward her job?
6. Based on the narrative in the Shooting Stars section of the book, what significant role if any, does age play in Rocio's interest in Josie?
7. Based on the narrative of the Space is a Solid section of the book, can you describe some of Rocio's young drama class students?
8. According to the narrative in the Shooting Stars section of the book, is Rocio more impressed with Josie Marquez's wealth; or the beauty enhancements that she apparently applies to herself?
9. What clues are included in the narrative of the Space is a Solid section of the book, that indicate that Rocio may not really be interested in a long-term relationship with Loudon?
10. Based on the narrative in The Last of the Menu Girls section of the book, does anything positive result from Rocio accepting the menu girl job at the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Early in the book, Rocio Esquibel is depicted as a young girl with low self-esteem who is rather unsure of herself. How does that depiction contrast from the Rocio who is depicted as the book progresses, and the Rocio whom we see at the end of the book in terms of self-esteem and self-confidence? Cite text from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
There are a few instances throughout the book in which the story changes from a mild to heated tone. Detail a couple of those instances; and state whether the change of tone changed your initial impression about any of the characters.
Essay Topic 3
In your estimation, is it Nieves' personality or events in her past that contribute toward her tendency to tone down the celebration of Christmas at the Esquibel home? Please include textual support for the position that you select.
This section contains 1,263 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)