|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the sweet, young girl in Rocio's class?
2. What is the name of Diana's boyfriend?
3. Which of the following generates pride in Mr. Smith?
4. What does Nita Wembley's husband do for a living?
5. Who is Mr. Trevor?
Short Essay Questions
1. As the story progresses in the Space is a Solid section of the book, what are some of the things that Loudon does and/or fails to do that tarnish his image in terms of being "the bright spot" in Rocio's life?
2. According to the narrative in The Last of the Menu Girls section of the book, how does Rocio, while working at the hospital, witness a two-part act of discrimination hurled at an illegal Mexican by a pair of "legal" Hispanics?
3. Based on the narrative of the Space is a Solid section of the book, why is Rocio not happy with her current life?
4. Based on the narrative in the Shooting Stars section of the book, what mental and emotional exercises that she experiences through her association with Eloisa does Rocio repeat with Diana?
5. According to the narrative in the Shooting Stars section of the book, what activities does Eloisa engage in that shatter Rocio's illusory image of her?
6. Based on the narrative in the Shooting Stars section of the book, what is it that Rocio's distant relative, Eloisa, is able to provide that inspires Rocio to want to spend a lot of time with her?
7. Based on the narrative in the Shooting Stars section of the book, what significant role if any, does age play in Rocio's interest in Josie?
8. Based on the narrative of the Shooting Stars section of the book, what may be contributing factors in leading Rocio to think that the only way for her to be able to attain happiness in her life is to adjust her life to be like that of either Eloisa, Diana, Josie, or Barbara?
9. Based on the narrative in the Space is a Solid section of the book, what tasks associated with her costume room-related job does Rocio not like?
10. According to the narrative in the Shooting Stars section of the book, aside from beauty and proximity in age, is there yet another contributing factor that inspires Rocio to want to be like Josie's best friend, Barbara?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is the relationship that is maintained between Nieves and Mercy throughout the book, one that lacks warmth? Or is the relationship one that is filled with warmth? Regardless of what your position may be, is it Nieves or Mercy who is largely responsible for the apparent existence of warmth or the lack of it that exists in their relationship? Support your statements with text from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Does Rocio maintain a close or distant relationship with her sister, Mercy throughout the book? Please elaborate on your position by citing text from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Early in the book, Rocio Esquibel is depicted as a young girl with low self-esteem who is rather unsure of herself. How does that depiction contrast from the Rocio who is depicted as the book progresses, and the Rocio whom we see at the end of the book in terms of self-esteem and self-confidence? Cite text from the book to support your statements.
This section contains 1,283 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)