|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who played an imaginary piano and returned to a child-like state?
2. Whom of the following is Rocio's "evil" professor?
3. Where does Rocio meet Nita Wembley?
4. Which of the following serves as a basis for the changes that Rocio experiences in the Shooting Stars section of the book?
5. Which of the following is the classification of Rocio's boyfriend at the university?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the narrative in the Space is a Solid section of the book, how can Nita Wembley be characterized?
2. According to the narrative in the Shooting Stars section of the book, what activities does Eloisa engage in that shatter Rocio's illusory image of her?
3. Based on the narrative in the Shooting Stars section of the book, what mental and emotional exercises that she experiences through her association with Eloisa does Rocio repeat with Diana?
4. According to the narrative in The Last of the Menu Girls section of the book, what does Rocio's training in the medical field consist of during the time that she works at the hospital?
5. Based on the text in The Last of the Menu Girls section of the book, what were some of the factors that contributed to Rocio's decision not to pursue a career in the medical field?
6. According to the text in the Space is a Solid section of the book, graduate student, Loudon Reily is the single bright spot in Rocio's life at college. What does Loudon do in order to merit the label of "single bright spot" in Rocio's life as a co-ed?
7. Based on the text in The Last of the Menu Girls section of the book, what is an accurate description of Rocio's outlook toward her job?
8. As the story progresses in the Space is a Solid section of the book, what are some of the things that Loudon does and/or fails to do that tarnish his image in terms of being "the bright spot" in Rocio's life?
9. According to the narrative in The Last of the Menu Girls section of the book, what is the real reason that Rocio has accepted a summer job as a food worker at the hospital?
10. Based on the narrative of the Space is a Solid section of the book, can you describe some of Rocio's young drama class students?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Early in the book, Rocio Esquibel is depicted as a young girl with low self-esteem who is rather unsure of herself. How does that depiction contrast from the Rocio who is depicted as the book progresses, and the Rocio whom we see at the end of the book in terms of self-esteem and self-confidence? Cite text from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Five imagery examples are included in The Closet section of the book via descriptions of the contents in five closets. An additional imagery example is included in the Evening in Paris section of the book via the description of the Esquibel Christmas meal. Detail your selection of the best imagery example from the six (6) examples provided, and explain the basis for your selection.
Essay Topic 3
In your estimation, is it Nieves' personality or events in her past that contribute toward her tendency to tone down the celebration of Christmas at the Esquibel home? Please include textual support for the position that you select.
This section contains 1,177 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)