|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following incidents has positioned the illegal citizen in Rocio's path?
2. Which of the following is Rocio able to see upon her return to her work site?
3. Which of the following is Rocio's boyfriend?
4. Which of the following does Rocio become upon her return to her former work site?
5. Whose name does not come up in Rocio's mind in terms of trying to emulate?
Short Essay Questions
1. Based on the narrative of the Space is a Solid section of the book, can you describe some of Rocio's young drama class students?
2. According to the narrative in The Last of the Menu Girls section of the book, how does Rocio, while working at the hospital, witness a two-part act of discrimination hurled at an illegal Mexican by a pair of "legal" Hispanics?
3. According to the narrative in the Space is a Solid section of the book, how can Nita Wembley be characterized?
4. Based on the text in The Last of the Menu Girls section of the book, what were some of the factors that contributed to Rocio's decision not to pursue a career in the medical field?
5. Based on the narrative of the Space is a Solid section of the book, why is Rocio not happy with her current life?
6. According to the narrative in The Last of the Menu Girls section of the book, what is the real reason that Rocio has accepted a summer job as a food worker at the hospital?
7. According to the narrative in The Last of the Menu Girls section of the book, what does Rocio's training in the medical field consist of during the time that she works at the hospital?
8. According to the Shooting Stars section of the book, is there a single factor that contributes toward Rocio being able to gain a positive outlook on herself, her worthiness, and an apparent realization that she will not need to adjust her life to be like that of Eloisa's, Diana's, Josie's, or Barbara's in order to attain happiness?
9. Based on the narrative in The Last of the Menu Girls section of the book, does anything positive result from Rocio accepting the menu girl job at the hospital?
10. Based on the narrative in the Shooting Stars section of the book, what significant role if any, does age play in Rocio's interest in Josie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In your estimation, is it Nieves' personality or events in her past that contribute toward her tendency to tone down the celebration of Christmas at the Esquibel home? Please include textual support for the position that you select.
Essay Topic 2
Although the Athertons who live next door to Rocio are mentioned as permanent fixtures in prominent fashion at the beginning of the he story, unlike other lesser-mentioned neighbors' , (e.g., the two boys who move away and get wealthy, and Rocio's cousin who moves away), the reader is never apprised of their ultimate fate. What are your thoughts on what may have happened to Mr. and Mrs. Atherton and their son, Ricky by the time that Rocio and Mercy grew up and left home at the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
In college and rooming with her boyfriend, Loudon, Rocio entertains thoughts of escaping to the arms of one of Loudon's friends, and getting a place of her own. Explain how certain events in Rocio's life prior to college, as described in the book, are likely to have foreshadowed her desire to change her collegiate love interest and living arrangements.
This section contains 1,323 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)