|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is Rocio in charge of maintaining while on the job?
2. What does Rocio enjoy doing with the distant relative whom she meets in the Shooting Stars section of the book?
3. What is the name of the sweet, young girl in Rocio's class?
4. Whose name does not come up in Rocio's mind in terms of trying to emulate?
5. Which of the following is Rocio able to see upon her return to her work site?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the narrative in the Shooting Stars section of the book, is Rocio more impressed with Josie Marquez's wealth; or the beauty enhancements that she apparently applies to herself?
2. Based on the narrative of the Space is a Solid section of the book, what does Rocio do that changes Nita Wembley's opinion about her to the point of threatening to report her to the drama department head at the college?
3. According to the narrative in the Shooting Stars section of the book, aside from beauty and proximity in age, is there yet another contributing factor that inspires Rocio to want to be like Josie's best friend, Barbara?
4. Based on the narrative in the Shooting Stars section of the book, what significant role if any, does age play in Rocio's interest in Josie?
5. According to the text in The Last of the Menu Girls section of the book, what aspects of Rocio's job at the hospital may help her develop "good bedside manner" in case she changes her mind, and decides to pursue a career in medicine?
6. Based on the narrative in the Shooting Stars section of the book, what mental and emotional exercises that she experiences through her association with Eloisa does Rocio repeat with Diana?
7. Based on the narrative of the Space is a Solid section of the book, why is Rocio not happy with her current life?
8. Based on the text in The Last of the Menu Girls section of the book, what is an accurate description of Rocio's outlook toward her job?
9. Based on the narrative in The Last of the Menu Girls section of the book, what are some of the ways in which Rocio shows compassion as she performs her job at the hospital?
10. According to the narrative in The Last of the Menu Girls section of the book, what does Rocio's training in the medical field consist of during the time that she works at the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Detail the common thread that binds Rocio's interest in spending time with Eloisa, Diana, Josie, and Barbara at the time that Rocio meets each of them; and the common thread that unravels her interest to continue to spend time with any of them. Cite text from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Five imagery examples are included in The Closet section of the book via descriptions of the contents in five closets. An additional imagery example is included in the Evening in Paris section of the book via the description of the Esquibel Christmas meal. Detail your selection of the best imagery example from the six (6) examples provided, and explain the basis for your selection.
Essay Topic 3
There are a few instances throughout the book in which the story changes from a mild to heated tone. Detail a couple of those instances; and state whether the change of tone changed your initial impression about any of the characters.
This section contains 1,305 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)