|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is mentioned as having been the cause of the death of Nieves' first husband?
2. Which of the following item types are among those found on the shelves in Nieves' closet?
3. What type of level is determined and assigned to the residents of Rocio's street, depending on the location of certain trees?
4. Which of the following may have committed a mistake leading to the death of Nieves' first husband?
5. Ultimately, where do Rocio's dreams take her?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the narrative in The Closet section of the book, in what sense can the television room closet be labeled as being historical?
2. Based on the text in the Evening in Paris section of the book, does religion play a role in the celebration of Christmas in Rocio's household?
3. Based on the text in The Closet section of the book, what does Rocio telling her sister, Mercy about her "special rooms" and advising her to find her own reveal about Rocio's bond with Mercy?
4. Based on the narrative in the Willow Game section of the book, can you describe the individuals who live in the "down" section of Rocio's street?
5. Based on the narrative in the Willow Game section of the book, can you describe the individuals who live in the "up" section of Rocio's street?
6. Based on the narrative of The Closet section of the book, what can be construed as being indicative that Rocio is growing up?
7. According to the narrative in The Closet section of the book, what childlike tendencies do Rocio and her sister, Mercy share?
8. How is Nieves' past reflected via the wedding photograph in her closet, and the details surrounding her first husband?
9. Based on the text in the Evening in Paris section of the book, what events described therein contribute toward Rocio's resolve to not grow up to be like her mother, Nieves?
10. Can you describe the Atherton's son based on the narrative in the Willow Game section of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Detail how some of the characters in the story are likely to be affected in a positive manner by the non-romantic relationship between Nieves and Regino. Cite text from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
There are a few instances throughout the book in which the story changes from a mild to heated tone. Detail a couple of those instances; and state whether the change of tone changed your initial impression about any of the characters.
Essay Topic 3
Early in the book, Rocio Esquibel is depicted as a young girl with low self-esteem who is rather unsure of herself. How does that depiction contrast from the Rocio who is depicted as the book progresses, and the Rocio whom we see at the end of the book in terms of self-esteem and self-confidence? Cite text from the book to support your statements.
This section contains 1,125 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)