|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where happens to the gift that Rocio gives her mother for Christmas?
2. Where does Rocio end up being "transported" into directly from the "gray room"?
3. What article of clothing did the young man whom Rocio secretly admires inadvertently leave at her house?
4. Which of the following gifts does Nieves remember giving to Mercy one Christmas?
5. Which of the following is mentioned as having been the cause of the death of Nieves' first husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the text in the Evening in Paris section of the book, what does Rocio seem to have in abundance and her mother, Nieves seem to lack in relation to the celebration of Christmas?
2. Based on the text in the Evening in Paris section of the book, what events described therein contribute toward Rocio's resolve to not grow up to be like her mother, Nieves?
3. Based on the narrative of The Closet section of the book, what can be construed as being indicative that Rocio is growing up?
4. Based on the the text in the Evening in Paris section of the book, how do Rocio and her mother, Nieves share or differ in the manner that they go about acquiring gifts for their loved ones?
5. Based on the narrative in The Closet section of the book, what does Rocio's closet reveal about her?
6. According to the text in The Closet section of the book, what aspects or traits of Nieves' personality can be deciphered from the items in her closet?
7. According to the narrative in the Willow Game section of the book, aside from the trees in the neighborhood, is there anything or anyone that remains a constant in Rocio's life?
8. Based on the text in the Evening in Paris section of the book, does religion play a role in the celebration of Christmas in Rocio's household?
9. Based on the narrative of the Willow Game section of the book, how do Rocio and her family show their reverence toward the willow tree?
10. How is Nieves' past reflected via the wedding photograph in her closet, and the details surrounding her first husband?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is the relationship that is maintained between Nieves and Mercy throughout the book, one that lacks warmth? Or is the relationship one that is filled with warmth? Regardless of what your position may be, is it Nieves or Mercy who is largely responsible for the apparent existence of warmth or the lack of it that exists in their relationship? Support your statements with text from the book.
Essay Topic 2
There are a few instances throughout the book in which the story changes from a mild to heated tone. Detail a couple of those instances; and state whether the change of tone changed your initial impression about any of the characters.
Essay Topic 3
There are several depictions of conflict that occur in Rocio's life throughout the book. Select a moment of conflict in Rocio's life that is depicted in the book, detail it, along with the basis for your decision to deem your selection appropriate for the writing of this essay assignment.
This section contains 1,269 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)