|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rocio hear upon "flying" into the universe?
2. What article of clothing did the young man whom Rocio secretly admires inadvertently leave at her house?
3. What type of dessert is served as part of the Esquibel's family Christmas dinner?
4. Where has Rocio's father moved?
5. Which of the following states is home to Rocio?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the text in the Space is a Solid section of the book, graduate student, Loudon Reily is the single bright spot in Rocio's life at college. What does Loudon do in order to merit the label of "single bright spot" in Rocio's life as a co-ed?
2. According to the narrative in The Last of the Menu Girls section of the book, what is the real reason that Rocio has accepted a summer job as a food worker at the hospital?
3. Based on the narrative of the Shooting Stars section of the book, what may be contributing factors in leading Rocio to think that the only way for her to be able to attain happiness in her life is to adjust her life to be like that of either Eloisa, Diana, Josie, or Barbara?
4. Based on the narrative in the Space is a Solid section of the book, what tasks associated with her costume room-related job does Rocio not like?
5. According to the narrative in the Willow Game section of the book, why is Rocio likely to consider the willow tree to be her favorite?
6. Based on the text in The Last of the Menu Girls section of the book, what is an accurate description of Rocio's outlook toward her job?
7. Based on the narrative of the Space is a Solid section of the book, why is Rocio not happy with her current life?
8. Based on the story in the Evening in Paris section of the book, what best illustrates a lack of harmony between Rocio and her mother in terms of value and taste?
9. According to the text in the Compadre section of the book, what is the basis for Rocio, now a college graduate, constantly arguing with her mother?
10. Based on the narrative of The Closet section of the book, why could the living room closet be aptly labeled as a potpourri type of closet?
Essay Topic 1
Rocio's relationship with her mother, Nieves is depicted as distant throughout the book. What are some of the factors that contribute to that type of relationship existing between mother and daughter? Support your statements with text from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Is the relationship that is maintained between Nieves and Mercy throughout the book, one that lacks warmth? Or is the relationship one that is filled with warmth? Regardless of what your position may be, is it Nieves or Mercy who is largely responsible for the apparent existence of warmth or the lack of it that exists in their relationship? Support your statements with text from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Does Rocio maintain a close or distant relationship with her sister, Mercy throughout the book? Please elaborate on your position by citing text from the book.
This section contains 2,149 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)