|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rocio do in relation to the small window in the bathroom?
2. What is the name of Rocio's neighbors' eldest son?
3. Who does Rocio tell about the imaginary rooms that she "visits" in her dreams?
4. What is the subject matter of the home movies in Nieves' closet?
5. What is the name of Rocio's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the narrative in The Closet section of the book, what childlike tendencies do Rocio and her sister, Mercy share?
2. Based on the narrative of The Closet section of the book, why could the living room closet be aptly labeled as a potpourri type of closet?
3. Based on the narrative in the Willow Game section of the book, can you describe the individuals who live in the "up" section of Rocio's street?
4. Based on the narrative in the Willow Game section of the book, what are some of the transition-type changes involving some young people in her neighborhood that Rocio observes as she is growing up?
5. According to the narrative in the Willow Game section of the book, aside from the trees in the neighborhood, is there anything or anyone that remains a constant in Rocio's life?
6. According to the text in the Evening in Paris, how do Rocio and her mother differ in terms of the level of forethought applied toward the purchase of Christmas gifts for one another?
7. According to the narrative in The Closet section of the book, in what sense can the television room closet be labeled as being historical?
8. Based on the text in the Evening in Paris section of the book, does religion play a role in the celebration of Christmas in Rocio's household?
9. Based on the text in the Evening in Paris section of the book, how does the family's holiday meal appear to be in relation to those traditionally served among those celebrating Christmas?
10. According to the text in the Evening in Paris section of the book, what does Rocio seem to have in abundance and her mother, Nieves seem to lack in relation to the celebration of Christmas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In college and rooming with her boyfriend, Loudon, Rocio entertains thoughts of escaping to the arms of one of Loudon's friends, and getting a place of her own. Explain how certain events in Rocio's life prior to college, as described in the book, are likely to have foreshadowed her desire to change her collegiate love interest and living arrangements.
Essay Topic 2
Even though Rocio repeatedly mentions that she will not grow up to be like her mother throughout the book, what are some of the activities that she engages in throughout the story that depict her as being like her mother, even while she is growing up? Cite text from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Detail the common thread that binds Rocio's interest in spending time with Eloisa, Diana, Josie, and Barbara at the time that Rocio meets each of them; and the common thread that unravels her interest to continue to spend time with any of them. Cite text from the book to support your statements.
This section contains 1,262 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)