Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following gifts does Nieves remember giving to Mercy one Christmas?
2. Which of the following types of closets is not mentioned as being among those in the Esquibel home?
3. Which of the following set types of everyday work apparel can be found in Nieves' closet?
4. Which of Rocio's relatives moves away from the neighborhood?
5. What type of fruit tree is located on a vacant lot down the street from Rocio's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Nieves' attitude toward her career as a school teacher depicted via the items in her closet?
2. According to the text in the Evening in Paris section of the book, what does Rocio seem to have in abundance and her mother, Nieves seem to lack in relation to the celebration of Christmas?
3. According to the text in the Compadre section of the book, what is the basis for Rocio, now a college graduate, constantly arguing with her mother?
4. Based on the text in The Last of the Menu Girls section of the book, what is an accurate description of Rocio's outlook toward her job?
5. According to the narrative in the Shooting Stars section of the book, is Rocio more impressed with Josie Marquez's wealth; or the beauty enhancements that she apparently applies to herself?
6. What factors noted in the Willow Game section of the book contribute toward the existence of harmony on the "down" side of the street where Rocio lives?
7. Based on the narrative of the Space is a Solid section of the book, what does Rocio do that changes Nita Wembley's opinion about her to the point of threatening to report her to the drama department head at the college?
8. Based on the narrative of the Space is a Solid section of the book, can you describe some of Rocio's young drama class students?
9. Based on the story in the Evening in Paris section of the book, what best illustrates a lack of harmony between Rocio and her mother in terms of value and taste?
10. According to the narrative in the Space is a Solid section of the book, how can Nita Wembley be characterized?
Essay Topic 1
Even though Rocio repeatedly mentions that she will not grow up to be like her mother throughout the book, what are some of the activities that she engages in throughout the story that depict her as being like her mother, even while she is growing up? Cite text from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
There are a few instances throughout the book in which the story changes from a mild to heated tone. Detail a couple of those instances; and state whether the change of tone changed your initial impression about any of the characters.
Essay Topic 3
Having moved away years before, Rocio's father is absent throughout most of the book. When he drops by to visit Rocio, Mercy, and Nieves in the last section of the book, he voices disfavor in relation to Nieves giving his old clothes away to the poor, along with a non-romantic yet caring relationship that she has developed with Regino. Detail what Mr. Esquibel's real reason(s) for having paid a visit to the three women could have been based upon; and whether his disfavor with Nieves' decisions in relation to giving his old clothes away and her relationship with Regino can truly be justified.
This section contains 1,169 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)