|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following gifts does Nieves remember giving to Mercy one Christmas?
2. Which of the following types of closets is not mentioned as being among those in the Esquibel home?
3. Which of the following set types of everyday work apparel can be found in Nieves' closet?
4. Which of Rocio's relatives moves away from the neighborhood?
5. What type of fruit tree is located on a vacant lot down the street from Rocio's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Nieves' attitude toward her career as a school teacher depicted via the items in her closet?
2. According to the text in the Evening in Paris section of the book, what does Rocio seem to have in abundance and her mother, Nieves seem to lack in relation to the celebration of Christmas?
3. According to the text in the Compadre section of the book, what is the basis for Rocio, now a college graduate, constantly arguing with her mother?
4. Based on the text in The Last of the Menu Girls section of the book, what is an accurate description of Rocio's outlook toward her job?
5. According to the narrative in the Shooting Stars section of the book, is Rocio more impressed with Josie Marquez's wealth; or the beauty enhancements that she apparently applies to herself?
6. What factors noted in the Willow Game section of the book contribute toward the existence of harmony on the "down" side of the street where Rocio lives?
7. Based on the narrative of the Space is a Solid section of the book, what does Rocio do that changes Nita Wembley's opinion about her to the point of threatening to report her to the drama department head at the college?
8. Based on the narrative of the Space is a Solid section of the book, can you describe some of Rocio's young drama class students?
9. Based on the story in the Evening in Paris section of the book, what best illustrates a lack of harmony between Rocio and her mother in terms of value and taste?
10. According to the narrative in the Space is a Solid section of the book, how can Nita Wembley be characterized?
Essay Topic 1
Although the Athertons who live next door to Rocio are mentioned as permanent fixtures in prominent fashion at the beginning of the he story, unlike other lesser-mentioned neighbors' , (e.g., the two boys who move away and get wealthy, and Rocio's cousin who moves away), the reader is never apprised of their ultimate fate. What are your thoughts on what may have happened to Mr. and Mrs. Atherton and their son, Ricky by the time that Rocio and Mercy grew up and left home at the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
In your estimation, is it Nieves' personality or events in her past that contribute toward her tendency to tone down the celebration of Christmas at the Esquibel home? Please include textual support for the position that you select.
Essay Topic 3
In college and rooming with her boyfriend, Loudon, Rocio entertains thoughts of escaping to the arms of one of Loudon's friends, and getting a place of her own. Explain how certain events in Rocio's life prior to college, as described in the book, are likely to have foreshadowed her desire to change her collegiate love interest and living arrangements.
This section contains 2,072 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)