|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following item types are not mentioned as being among the things in the television closet?
2. Which of Rocio's relatives moves away from the neighborhood?
3. Where does Rocio end up being "transported" into directly from the "gray room"?
4. What is the name of Rocio's mother?
5. Which of the following is the location of the imaginary "gray room" that Rocio "visits" during her naps?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the narrative in the Compadre section of the book, is everything going well in Regino's personal life at home?
2. According to the narrative in The Closet section of the book, in what sense can the television room closet be labeled as being historical?
3. Based on the narrative of the Willow Game section of the book, how do Rocio and her family show their reverence toward the willow tree?
4. Based on the narrative in the Shooting Stars section of the book, what significant role if any, does age play in Rocio's interest in Josie?
5. What factors noted in the Willow Game section of the book contribute toward the existence of harmony on the "down" side of the street where Rocio lives?
6. Based on the narrative in the Willow Game section of the book, can you describe the individuals who live in the "up" section of Rocio's street?
7. According to the narrative in The Last of the Menu Girls section of the book, what does Rocio's training in the medical field consist of during the time that she works at the hospital?
8. According to the narrative in the Willow Game section of the book, why is Rocio likely to consider the willow tree to be her favorite?
9. According to the narrative in the Shooting Stars section of the book, aside from beauty and proximity in age, is there yet another contributing factor that inspires Rocio to want to be like Josie's best friend, Barbara?
10. Based on the narrative in The Last of the Menu Girls section of the book, does anything positive result from Rocio accepting the menu girl job at the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Even though she never makes an actual appearance in the book, it is evident that Nieves' first daughter, Ronelia has a spot in the lives of Nieves and Rocio. Detail that role, and state whether Rocio or Nieves is affected more by her existence -- and explain why.
Essay Topic 2
Although the Athertons who live next door to Rocio are mentioned as permanent fixtures in prominent fashion at the beginning of the he story, unlike other lesser-mentioned neighbors' , (e.g., the two boys who move away and get wealthy, and Rocio's cousin who moves away), the reader is never apprised of their ultimate fate. What are your thoughts on what may have happened to Mr. and Mrs. Atherton and their son, Ricky by the time that Rocio and Mercy grew up and left home at the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Even though Rocio repeatedly mentions that she will not grow up to be like her mother throughout the book, what are some of the activities that she engages in throughout the story that depict her as being like her mother, even while she is growing up? Cite text from the book to support your statements.
This section contains 2,083 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)