|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is the favorite tree among the children who live in Rocio's neighborhood?
2. How does the man of the house next door to that of Rocio and her family appear to be to Rocio and her sister?
3. What is the large item mentioned as being stored in the living room closet at the Esquibel home?
4. Who wore Nieves' wedding dress for her own wedding?
5. The loss of which of the following prompts Rocio, her sister, and her mother to grieve?
Short Essay Questions
1. Based on the text in The Closet section of the book, what does Rocio telling her sister, Mercy about her "special rooms" and advising her to find her own reveal about Rocio's bond with Mercy?
2. Based on the narrative of the Willow Game section of the book, how does the baby willow tree that Nieves plants symbolically parallel Rocio's life transition from childhood into adolescence?
3. Based on the text in the Evening in Paris section of the book, how does the family's holiday meal appear to be in relation to those traditionally served among those celebrating Christmas?
4. What factors noted in the Willow Game section of the book contribute toward normalcy in Rocio's life?
5. Based on the text in the Evening in Paris section of the book, what events described therein contribute toward Rocio's resolve to not grow up to be like her mother, Nieves?
6. According to the text in the Evening in Paris, how do Rocio and her mother differ in terms of the level of forethought applied toward the purchase of Christmas gifts for one another?
7. According to the text in the Evening in Paris section of the book, what does Rocio seem to have in abundance and her mother, Nieves seem to lack in relation to the celebration of Christmas?
8. According to the narrative in the Willow Game section of the book, aside from the trees in the neighborhood, is there anything or anyone that remains a constant in Rocio's life?
9. According to the text in the Evening in Paris section of the book, how does frugality play a major role in the celebration of Christmas in Rocio's household?
10. Based on the narrative in the Willow Game section of the book, what are some of the transition-type changes involving some young people in her neighborhood that Rocio observes as she is growing up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a few instances throughout the book in which the story changes from a mild to heated tone. Detail a couple of those instances; and state whether the change of tone changed your initial impression about any of the characters.
Essay Topic 2
Is the relationship that is maintained between Nieves and Mercy throughout the book, one that lacks warmth? Or is the relationship one that is filled with warmth? Regardless of what your position may be, is it Nieves or Mercy who is largely responsible for the apparent existence of warmth or the lack of it that exists in their relationship? Support your statements with text from the book.
Essay Topic 3
In your estimation, is it Nieves' personality or events in her past that contribute toward her tendency to tone down the celebration of Christmas at the Esquibel home? Please include textual support for the position that you select.
This section contains 1,264 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)