|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following events largely contributes toward enriching the cultural mix in Rocio's neighborhood?
2. Which of the following item types are not mentioned as being among the things in the television closet?
3. Which of the following items is not noted as being in the bathroom closet?
4. What does the man of the house next to Rocio's work on during every spare moment that he has?
5. Which of the following is the nationality of Rocio's family?
Short Essay Questions
1. Based on the text in The Closet section of the book, what does Rocio telling her sister, Mercy about her "special rooms" and advising her to find her own reveal about Rocio's bond with Mercy?
2. According to the text in the Evening in Paris section of the book, what does Rocio seem to have in abundance and her mother, Nieves seem to lack in relation to the celebration of Christmas?
3. According to the narrative in The Closet section of the book, what childlike tendencies do Rocio and her sister, Mercy share?
4. According to the text in The Closet section of the book, what aspects or traits of Nieves' personality can be deciphered from the items in her closet?
5. Based on the narrative of the Willow Game section of the book, how do Rocio and her family show their reverence toward the willow tree?
6. Based on the narrative in The Closet section of the book, is there a correlation between the "gray room", the "blue room", the universe, and their positions in relation to a yearning for a free-like existence that Rocio may have?
7. How is Nieves' past reflected via the wedding photograph in her closet, and the details surrounding her first husband?
8. According to the narrative in The Closet section of the book, in what sense can the television room closet be labeled as being historical?
9. How is Nieves' attitude toward her career as a school teacher depicted via the items in her closet?
10. Based on the text in the Evening in Paris section of the book, how does the family's holiday meal appear to be in relation to those traditionally served among those celebrating Christmas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Even though Rocio repeatedly mentions that she will not grow up to be like her mother throughout the book, what are some of the activities that she engages in throughout the story that depict her as being like her mother, even while she is growing up? Cite text from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Using text-supported statements, explain whether Rocio's repeated departures from the "blue" room that culminate with her attainment of imaginary freedom, foreshadow her eventual departure from her lackluster family life and attainment of actual freedom.
Essay Topic 3
In your estimation, is it Nieves' personality or events in her past that contribute toward her tendency to tone down the celebration of Christmas at the Esquibel home? Please include textual support for the position that you select.
This section contains 1,240 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)