|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the willow tree down the street provide for Rocio, her family, and neighbors?
2. Which of the following is Nieves' profession?
3. Which of the following is mentioned as having been the cause of the death of Nieves' first husband?
4. Which of the following gifts does Nieves remember giving to Mercy one Christmas?
5. What is the name of Rocio's neighbors' eldest son?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the narrative in the Shooting Stars section of the book, aside from beauty and proximity in age, is there yet another contributing factor that inspires Rocio to want to be like Josie's best friend, Barbara?
2. Based on the story in the Evening in Paris section of the book, what best illustrates a lack of harmony between Rocio and her mother in terms of value and taste?
3. Based on the narrative of the Space is a Solid section of the book, why is Rocio not happy with her current life?
4. According to the text in the Evening in Paris section of the book, what does Rocio seem to have in abundance and her mother, Nieves seem to lack in relation to the celebration of Christmas?
5. Based on the narrative in The Last of the Menu Girls section of the book, does anything positive result from Rocio accepting the menu girl job at the hospital?
6. According to the narrative in the Willow Game section of the book, aside from the trees in the neighborhood, is there anything or anyone that remains a constant in Rocio's life?
7. Based on the narrative of the Space is a Solid section of the book, what does Rocio do that changes Nita Wembley's opinion about her to the point of threatening to report her to the drama department head at the college?
8. According to the narrative in the Shooting Stars section of the book, is Rocio more impressed with Josie Marquez's wealth; or the beauty enhancements that she apparently applies to herself?
9. Based on the narrative in the Space is a Solid section of the book, what tasks associated with her costume room-related job does Rocio not like?
10. Based on the text in the Evening in Paris section of the book, does religion play a role in the celebration of Christmas in Rocio's household?
Essay Topic 1
Does Rocio maintain a close or distant relationship with her sister, Mercy throughout the book? Please elaborate on your position by citing text from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Even though she never makes an actual appearance in the book, it is evident that Nieves' first daughter, Ronelia has a spot in the lives of Nieves and Rocio. Detail that role, and state whether Rocio or Nieves is affected more by her existence -- and explain why.
Essay Topic 3
Although the Athertons who live next door to Rocio are mentioned as permanent fixtures in prominent fashion at the beginning of the he story, unlike other lesser-mentioned neighbors' , (e.g., the two boys who move away and get wealthy, and Rocio's cousin who moves away), the reader is never apprised of their ultimate fate. What are your thoughts on what may have happened to Mr. and Mrs. Atherton and their son, Ricky by the time that Rocio and Mercy grew up and left home at the end of the book?
This section contains 2,174 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)