|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the occasion for the young man whom Rocio secretly admires to visit her home?
2. How many members comprise Rocio's family?
3. Which of the following set types of everyday work apparel can be found in Nieves' closet?
4. Aside from food, which of the following is stored in the Esquibels' kitchen?
5. Which of the following types of closets is not mentioned as being among those in the Esquibel home?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the text in the Evening in Paris section of the book, how does frugality play a major role in the celebration of Christmas in Rocio's household?
2. Based on the text in the Evening in Paris section of the book, how does the family's holiday meal appear to be in relation to those traditionally served among those celebrating Christmas?
3. Based on the text in The Closet section of the book, what does Rocio telling her sister, Mercy about her "special rooms" and advising her to find her own reveal about Rocio's bond with Mercy?
4. According to the text in the Evening in Paris section of the book, what does Rocio seem to have in abundance and her mother, Nieves seem to lack in relation to the celebration of Christmas?
5. According to the text in The Closet section of the book, what aspects or traits of Nieves' personality can be deciphered from the items in her closet?
6. What factors noted in the Willow Game section of the book contribute toward the existence of harmony on the "down" side of the street where Rocio lives?
7. What factors noted in the Willow Game section of the book contribute toward normalcy in Rocio's life?
8. Based on the text in the Evening in Paris section of the book, what events described therein contribute toward Rocio's resolve to not grow up to be like her mother, Nieves?
9. Based on the narrative in The Closet section of the book, what does Rocio's closet reveal about her?
10. How is Nieves' past reflected via the wedding photograph in her closet, and the details surrounding her first husband?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although the Athertons who live next door to Rocio are mentioned as permanent fixtures in prominent fashion at the beginning of the he story, unlike other lesser-mentioned neighbors' , (e.g., the two boys who move away and get wealthy, and Rocio's cousin who moves away), the reader is never apprised of their ultimate fate. What are your thoughts on what may have happened to Mr. and Mrs. Atherton and their son, Ricky by the time that Rocio and Mercy grew up and left home at the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Detail the common thread that binds Rocio's interest in spending time with Eloisa, Diana, Josie, and Barbara at the time that Rocio meets each of them; and the common thread that unravels her interest to continue to spend time with any of them. Cite text from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Early in the book, Rocio Esquibel is depicted as a young girl with low self-esteem who is rather unsure of herself. How does that depiction contrast from the Rocio who is depicted as the book progresses, and the Rocio whom we see at the end of the book in terms of self-esteem and self-confidence? Cite text from the book to support your statements.
This section contains 1,306 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)