|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which part of the street is Rocio's home located on?
2. Which of the following events largely contributes toward enriching the cultural mix in Rocio's neighborhood?
3. Which of the following is the favorite tree among the children who live in Rocio's neighborhood?
4. Whose image appears in the luminescent sliding picture in Nieves' closet?
5. What does Rocio do in relation to the small window in the bathroom?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Nieves' past reflected via the wedding photograph in her closet, and the details surrounding her first husband?
2. Based on the text in The Closet section of the book, what does Rocio telling her sister, Mercy about her "special rooms" and advising her to find her own reveal about Rocio's bond with Mercy?
3. Based on the narrative in the Willow Game section of the book, can you describe the individuals who live in the "up" section of Rocio's street?
4. What factors noted in the Willow Game section of the book contribute toward normalcy in Rocio's life?
5. According to the text in the Evening in Paris section of the book, how does frugality play a major role in the celebration of Christmas in Rocio's household?
6. Based on the narrative in the Willow Game section of the book, what are some of the transition-type changes involving some young people in her neighborhood that Rocio observes as she is growing up?
7. Based on the narrative in The Closet section of the book, what does Rocio's closet reveal about her?
8. How is Nieves' attitude toward her career as a school teacher depicted via the items in her closet?
9. According to the text in The Closet section of the book, what aspects or traits of Nieves' personality can be deciphered from the items in her closet?
10. Based on the text in the Evening in Paris section of the book, what events described therein contribute toward Rocio's resolve to not grow up to be like her mother, Nieves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a few instances throughout the book in which the story changes from a mild to heated tone. Detail a couple of those instances; and state whether the change of tone changed your initial impression about any of the characters.
Essay Topic 2
Does Rocio maintain a close or distant relationship with her sister, Mercy throughout the book? Please elaborate on your position by citing text from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Although the Athertons who live next door to Rocio are mentioned as permanent fixtures in prominent fashion at the beginning of the he story, unlike other lesser-mentioned neighbors' , (e.g., the two boys who move away and get wealthy, and Rocio's cousin who moves away), the reader is never apprised of their ultimate fate. What are your thoughts on what may have happened to Mr. and Mrs. Atherton and their son, Ricky by the time that Rocio and Mercy grew up and left home at the end of the book?
This section contains 1,213 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)