|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following events largely contributes toward enriching the cultural mix in Rocio's neighborhood?
2. Which of the following is the favorite tree among the children who live in Rocio's neighborhood?
3. What does Rocio's neighbors' eldest son systematically do to the willow tree?
4. Which of the following item types are among those found on the shelves in Nieves' closet?
5. Who wore Nieves' wedding dress for her own wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the text in the Evening in Paris section of the book, what does Rocio seem to have in abundance and her mother, Nieves seem to lack in relation to the celebration of Christmas?
2. According to the text in The Closet section of the book, what aspects or traits of Nieves' personality can be deciphered from the items in her closet?
3. Based on the narrative of The Closet section of the book, why could the living room closet be aptly labeled as a potpourri type of closet?
4. Based on the narrative in the Willow Game section of the book, can you describe the individuals who live in the "up" section of Rocio's street?
5. Based on the narrative in The Closet section of the book, is there a correlation between the "gray room", the "blue room", the universe, and their positions in relation to a yearning for a free-like existence that Rocio may have?
6. Based on the narrative of The Closet section of the book, what can be construed as being indicative that Rocio is growing up?
7. Based on the text in the Evening in Paris section of the book, what events described therein contribute toward Rocio's resolve to not grow up to be like her mother, Nieves?
8. According to the text in the Evening in Paris section of the book, how does frugality play a major role in the celebration of Christmas in Rocio's household?
9. Based on the narrative in The Closet section of the book, what does Rocio's closet reveal about her?
10. Based on the story in the Evening in Paris section of the book, what best illustrates a lack of harmony between Rocio and her mother in terms of value and taste?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Five imagery examples are included in The Closet section of the book via descriptions of the contents in five closets. An additional imagery example is included in the Evening in Paris section of the book via the description of the Esquibel Christmas meal. Detail your selection of the best imagery example from the six (6) examples provided, and explain the basis for your selection.
Essay Topic 2
Early in the book, Rocio Esquibel is depicted as a young girl with low self-esteem who is rather unsure of herself. How does that depiction contrast from the Rocio who is depicted as the book progresses, and the Rocio whom we see at the end of the book in terms of self-esteem and self-confidence? Cite text from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Although the Athertons who live next door to Rocio are mentioned as permanent fixtures in prominent fashion at the beginning of the he story, unlike other lesser-mentioned neighbors' , (e.g., the two boys who move away and get wealthy, and Rocio's cousin who moves away), the reader is never apprised of their ultimate fate. What are your thoughts on what may have happened to Mr. and Mrs. Atherton and their son, Ricky by the time that Rocio and Mercy grew up and left home at the end of the book?
This section contains 1,369 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)