|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the occasion for the young man whom Rocio secretly admires to visit her home?
2. Which of the following is the living room closet in Rocio's house considered as being?
3. What does the ashtray with cigarette butts that Nieves keeps on a shelf close to the table supposed to signify?
4. What does Rocio do in relation to the small window in the bathroom?
5. Which of the following memorable events that has occurred in Nieves' life is documented via a photograph in her closet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Based on the the text in the Evening in Paris section of the book, how do Rocio and her mother, Nieves share or differ in the manner that they go about acquiring gifts for their loved ones?
2. What factors noted in the Willow Game section of the book contribute toward the existence of harmony on the "down" side of the street where Rocio lives?
3. What factors noted in the Willow Game section of the book contribute toward normalcy in Rocio's life?
4. Based on the text in the Evening in Paris section of the book, how does the family's holiday meal appear to be in relation to those traditionally served among those celebrating Christmas?
5. Can you describe the Atherton's son based on the narrative in the Willow Game section of the book?
6. Based on the narrative in The Closet section of the book, what does Rocio's closet reveal about her?
7. Based on the text in The Closet section of the book, what does Rocio telling her sister, Mercy about her "special rooms" and advising her to find her own reveal about Rocio's bond with Mercy?
8. Based on the story in the Evening in Paris section of the book, what best illustrates a lack of harmony between Rocio and her mother in terms of value and taste?
9. Based on the narrative in the Willow Game section of the book, can you describe the individuals who live in the "up" section of Rocio's street?
10. Based on the text in the Evening in Paris section of the book, does religion play a role in the celebration of Christmas in Rocio's household?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Early in the book, Rocio Esquibel is depicted as a young girl with low self-esteem who is rather unsure of herself. How does that depiction contrast from the Rocio who is depicted as the book progresses, and the Rocio whom we see at the end of the book in terms of self-esteem and self-confidence? Cite text from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Even though Rocio repeatedly mentions that she will not grow up to be like her mother throughout the book, what are some of the activities that she engages in throughout the story that depict her as being like her mother, even while she is growing up? Cite text from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
The story's opening pages introduce the reader to the Willow Game--a tree boundary-based socio-economic categorization game that Rocio and other neighborhood children use to classify residents of their street. Could Rocio's engagement in that type of childhood categorization activity have contributed to her belief that others who were better off than she was later in life? Explain why or why not, alluding to text from the book.
This section contains 1,319 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)