|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following ages is mentioned as that of Nieves' first child at the time of the death of Nieves' first husband?
2. What is the name of Rocio's mother?
3. How is Rocio related to Mercy?
4. What type of tree does Rocio's mother plant?
5. Which of the following set types of everyday work apparel can be found in Nieves' closet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Based on the the text in the Evening in Paris section of the book, how do Rocio and her mother, Nieves share or differ in the manner that they go about acquiring gifts for their loved ones?
2. According to the text in The Closet section of the book, what aspects or traits of Nieves' personality can be deciphered from the items in her closet?
3. Based on the text in the Evening in Paris section of the book, how does the family's holiday meal appear to be in relation to those traditionally served among those celebrating Christmas?
4. Based on the text in the Evening in Paris section of the book, what events described therein contribute toward Rocio's resolve to not grow up to be like her mother, Nieves?
5. According to the narrative in The Closet section of the book, in what sense can the television room closet be labeled as being historical?
6. Based on the narrative in the Willow Game section of the book, what are some of the transition-type changes involving some young people in her neighborhood that Rocio observes as she is growing up?
7. Based on the text in the Evening in Paris section of the book, does religion play a role in the celebration of Christmas in Rocio's household?
8. What factors noted in the Willow Game section of the book contribute toward normalcy in Rocio's life?
9. Based on the narrative in The Closet section of the book, is there a correlation between the "gray room", the "blue room", the universe, and their positions in relation to a yearning for a free-like existence that Rocio may have?
10. Based on the story in the Evening in Paris section of the book, what best illustrates a lack of harmony between Rocio and her mother in terms of value and taste?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a climactic moment in the story when Rocio sheds the idea of having to imitate others in order to achieve some self-worth. Detail that moment, along with the events that led her to it with supporting text from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Detail how some of the characters in the story are likely to be affected in a positive manner by the non-romantic relationship between Nieves and Regino. Cite text from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Even though Rocio repeatedly mentions that she will not grow up to be like her mother throughout the book, what are some of the activities that she engages in throughout the story that depict her as being like her mother, even while she is growing up? Cite text from the book to support your statements.
This section contains 1,300 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)