Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following gifts does Nieves remember giving to Mercy one Christmas?
2. Which of the following types of closets is not mentioned as being among those in the Esquibel home?
3. Which of the following set types of everyday work apparel can be found in Nieves' closet?
4. Which of Rocio's relatives moves away from the neighborhood?
5. What type of fruit tree is located on a vacant lot down the street from Rocio's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Nieves' attitude toward her career as a school teacher depicted via the items in her closet?
2. According to the text in the Evening in Paris section of the book, what does Rocio seem to have in abundance and her mother, Nieves seem to lack in relation to the celebration of Christmas?
3. According to the text in the Compadre section of the book, what is the basis for Rocio, now a college graduate, constantly arguing with her mother?
4. Based on the text in The Last of the Menu Girls section of the book, what is an accurate description of Rocio's outlook toward her job?
5. According to the narrative in the Shooting Stars section of the book, is Rocio more impressed with Josie Marquez's wealth; or the beauty enhancements that she apparently applies to herself?
6. What factors noted in the Willow Game section of the book contribute toward the existence of harmony on the "down" side of the street where Rocio lives?
7. Based on the narrative of the Space is a Solid section of the book, what does Rocio do that changes Nita Wembley's opinion about her to the point of threatening to report her to the drama department head at the college?
8. Based on the narrative of the Space is a Solid section of the book, can you describe some of Rocio's young drama class students?
9. Based on the story in the Evening in Paris section of the book, what best illustrates a lack of harmony between Rocio and her mother in terms of value and taste?
10. According to the narrative in the Space is a Solid section of the book, how can Nita Wembley be characterized?
There are several depictions of conflict that occur in Rocio's life throughout the book. Select a moment of conflict in Rocio's life that is depicted in the book, detail it, along with the basis for your decision to deem your selection appropriate for the writing of this essay assignment.
Detail how some of the characters in the story are likely to be affected in a positive manner by the non-romantic relationship between Nieves and Regino. Cite text from the book to support your statements.
The story's opening pages introduce the reader to the Willow Game--a tree boundary-based socio-economic categorization game that Rocio and other neighborhood children use to classify residents of their street. Could Rocio's engagement in that type of childhood categorization activity have contributed to her belief that others who were better off than she was later in life? Explain why or why not, alluding to text from the book.
This section contains 1,114 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)