|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following country's poor are to receive the rummage in the living room closet in the Esquibel home?
2. Which of the following types of closets is not mentioned as being among those in the Esquibel home?
3. What does the man of the house next to Rocio's work on during every spare moment that he has?
4. Which of the following tends to inspire Nieves the most in relation to her choice of Christmas gifts for her daughters?
5. What is the subject matter of the home movies in Nieves' closet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Based on the story in the Evening in Paris section of the book, what best illustrates a lack of harmony between Rocio and her mother in terms of value and taste?
2. According to the narrative in the Shooting Stars section of the book, what activities does Eloisa engage in that shatter Rocio's illusory image of her?
3. Based on the narrative of The Closet section of the book, what can be construed as being indicative that Rocio is growing up?
4. Based on the text in The Last of the Menu Girls section of the book, what were some of the factors that contributed to Rocio's decision not to pursue a career in the medical field?
5. What clues are included in the narrative of the Space is a Solid section of the book, that indicate that Rocio may not really be interested in a long-term relationship with Loudon?
6. Based on the narrative in the Willow Game section of the book, can you describe the individuals who live in the "up" section of Rocio's street?
7. Based on the narrative in the Compadre section of the book, how does Nieves get involved in Regino's personal life situation?
8. What factors noted in the Willow Game section of the book contribute toward normalcy in Rocio's life?
9. Based on the narrative in the Space is a Solid section of the book, what tasks associated with her costume room-related job does Rocio not like?
10. Based on the narrative in The Closet section of the book, what does Rocio's closet reveal about her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Detail the common thread that binds Rocio's interest in spending time with Eloisa, Diana, Josie, and Barbara at the time that Rocio meets each of them; and the common thread that unravels her interest to continue to spend time with any of them. Cite text from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Five imagery examples are included in The Closet section of the book via descriptions of the contents in five closets. An additional imagery example is included in the Evening in Paris section of the book via the description of the Esquibel Christmas meal. Detail your selection of the best imagery example from the six (6) examples provided, and explain the basis for your selection.
Essay Topic 3
There are a few instances throughout the book in which the story changes from a mild to heated tone. Detail a couple of those instances; and state whether the change of tone changed your initial impression about any of the characters.
This section contains 2,186 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)