|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Rocio tell about the imaginary rooms that she "visits" in her dreams?
2. Which of the following items does Rocio buy as a Christmas gift for her mother, Nieves?
3. Which of the following gifts does Nieves remember giving to Rocio one Christmas?
4. Where happens to the gift that Rocio gives her mother for Christmas?
5. Which of the following events largely contributes toward enriching the cultural mix in Rocio's neighborhood?
Short Essay Questions
1. Can you describe the Atherton's son based on the narrative in the Willow Game section of the book?
2. Based on the story in the Evening in Paris section of the book, what best illustrates a lack of harmony between Rocio and her mother in terms of value and taste?
3. Based on the text in the Evening in Paris section of the book, how does the family's holiday meal appear to be in relation to those traditionally served among those celebrating Christmas?
4. Based on the narrative in The Closet section of the book, is there a correlation between the "gray room", the "blue room", the universe, and their positions in relation to a yearning for a free-like existence that Rocio may have?
5. Based on the text in The Closet section of the book, what does Rocio telling her sister, Mercy about her "special rooms" and advising her to find her own reveal about Rocio's bond with Mercy?
6. How is Nieves' attitude toward her career as a school teacher depicted via the items in her closet?
7. According to the narrative in The Closet section of the book, in what sense can the television room closet be labeled as being historical?
8. Based on the the text in the Evening in Paris section of the book, how do Rocio and her mother, Nieves share or differ in the manner that they go about acquiring gifts for their loved ones?
9. According to the text in the Evening in Paris section of the book, how does frugality play a major role in the celebration of Christmas in Rocio's household?
10. According to the text in the Evening in Paris, how do Rocio and her mother differ in terms of the level of forethought applied toward the purchase of Christmas gifts for one another?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rocio's relationship with her mother, Nieves is depicted as distant throughout the book. What are some of the factors that contribute to that type of relationship existing between mother and daughter? Support your statements with text from the book.
Essay Topic 2
What is the book's central theme? Is its intended theme message conveyed effectively? Detail either your affirmative or negative response with supporting text from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Detail the common thread that binds Rocio's interest in spending time with Eloisa, Diana, Josie, and Barbara at the time that Rocio meets each of them; and the common thread that unravels her interest to continue to spend time with any of them. Cite text from the book to support your statements.
This section contains 1,346 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)