|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Aside from food, which of the following is stored in the Esquibels' kitchen?
2. What type of tree does Rocio's mother plant?
3. Who is the recipient of most of the presents under the Esquibel family Christmas tree?
4. Which of the following is the living room closet in Rocio's house considered as being?
5. Aside from Esquibel family members, which of the following normally become recipients of a couple of gifts from under the Esquibel Christmas tree?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the text in The Closet section of the book, what aspects or traits of Nieves' personality can be deciphered from the items in her closet?
2. According to the narrative in The Closet section of the book, in what sense can the television room closet be labeled as being historical?
3. Based on the narrative in The Closet section of the book, is there a correlation between the "gray room", the "blue room", the universe, and their positions in relation to a yearning for a free-like existence that Rocio may have?
4. Based on the narrative of the Willow Game section of the book, how do Rocio and her family show their reverence toward the willow tree?
5. What factors noted in the Willow Game section of the book contribute toward the existence of harmony on the "down" side of the street where Rocio lives?
6. Based on the narrative in the Willow Game section of the book, can you describe the individuals who live in the "down" section of Rocio's street?
7. Based on the narrative in the Willow Game section of the book, what are some of the transition-type changes involving some young people in her neighborhood that Rocio observes as she is growing up?
8. Can you describe the Atherton's son based on the narrative in the Willow Game section of the book?
9. According to the narrative in the Willow Game section of the book, why is Rocio likely to consider the willow tree to be her favorite?
10. Based on the text in the Evening in Paris section of the book, what events described therein contribute toward Rocio's resolve to not grow up to be like her mother, Nieves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several depictions of conflict that occur in Rocio's life throughout the book. Select a moment of conflict in Rocio's life that is depicted in the book, detail it, along with the basis for your decision to deem your selection appropriate for the writing of this essay assignment.
Essay Topic 2
Early in the book, Rocio Esquibel is depicted as a young girl with low self-esteem who is rather unsure of herself. How does that depiction contrast from the Rocio who is depicted as the book progresses, and the Rocio whom we see at the end of the book in terms of self-esteem and self-confidence? Cite text from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
There are a few instances throughout the book in which the story changes from a mild to heated tone. Detail a couple of those instances; and state whether the change of tone changed your initial impression about any of the characters.
This section contains 1,199 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)