|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following types of closets is not mentioned as being among those in the Esquibel home?
2. Which of the following is the nationality of Rocio's family?
3. Who is the recipient of most of the presents under the Esquibel family Christmas tree?
4. Which of the following tends to inspire Nieves the most in relation to her choice of Christmas gifts for her daughters?
5. Which of the following memorable events that has occurred in Nieves' life is documented via a photograph in her closet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Based on the narrative of The Closet section of the book, what can be construed as being indicative that Rocio is growing up?
2. Based on the narrative in the Willow Game section of the book, what are some of the transition-type changes involving some young people in her neighborhood that Rocio observes as she is growing up?
3. According to the narrative in The Closet section of the book, what childlike tendencies do Rocio and her sister, Mercy share?
4. According to the narrative in The Closet section of the book, in what sense can the television room closet be labeled as being historical?
5. Based on the narrative in the Willow Game section of the book, can you describe the individuals who live in the "up" section of Rocio's street?
6. According to the text in the Evening in Paris section of the book, what does Rocio seem to have in abundance and her mother, Nieves seem to lack in relation to the celebration of Christmas?
7. Based on the text in the Evening in Paris section of the book, what events described therein contribute toward Rocio's resolve to not grow up to be like her mother, Nieves?
8. How is Nieves' attitude toward her career as a school teacher depicted via the items in her closet?
9. Based on the narrative in the Willow Game section of the book, can you describe the individuals who live in the "down" section of Rocio's street?
10. Based on the the text in the Evening in Paris section of the book, how do Rocio and her mother, Nieves share or differ in the manner that they go about acquiring gifts for their loved ones?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Five imagery examples are included in The Closet section of the book via descriptions of the contents in five closets. An additional imagery example is included in the Evening in Paris section of the book via the description of the Esquibel Christmas meal. Detail your selection of the best imagery example from the six (6) examples provided, and explain the basis for your selection.
Essay Topic 2
Even though Rocio repeatedly mentions that she will not grow up to be like her mother throughout the book, what are some of the activities that she engages in throughout the story that depict her as being like her mother, even while she is growing up? Cite text from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Using text-supported statements, explain whether Rocio's repeated departures from the "blue" room that culminate with her attainment of imaginary freedom, foreshadow her eventual departure from her lackluster family life and attainment of actual freedom.
This section contains 1,134 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)