|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following gifts does Nieves remember giving to Rocio one Christmas?
2. Which of the following items does Rocio buy as a Christmas gift for her mother, Nieves?
3. Aside from food, which of the following is stored in the Esquibels' kitchen?
4. How many boys grew up on Rocio's street, and became wealthy later in life?
5. Which of the following is the nationality of Rocio's family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What factors noted in the Willow Game section of the book contribute toward the existence of harmony on the "down" side of the street where Rocio lives?
2. What factors noted in the Willow Game section of the book contribute toward normalcy in Rocio's life?
3. According to the narrative in The Closet section of the book, what childlike tendencies do Rocio and her sister, Mercy share?
4. Based on the narrative of the Willow Game section of the book, how do Rocio and her family show their reverence toward the willow tree?
5. How is Nieves' past reflected via the wedding photograph in her closet, and the details surrounding her first husband?
6. According to the narrative in the Willow Game section of the book, why is Rocio likely to consider the willow tree to be her favorite?
7. According to the text in the Evening in Paris section of the book, how does frugality play a major role in the celebration of Christmas in Rocio's household?
8. Based on the narrative in The Closet section of the book, what does Rocio's closet reveal about her?
9. Based on the narrative in the Willow Game section of the book, what are some of the transition-type changes involving some young people in her neighborhood that Rocio observes as she is growing up?
10. Based on the narrative of The Closet section of the book, what can be construed as being indicative that Rocio is growing up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In college and rooming with her boyfriend, Loudon, Rocio entertains thoughts of escaping to the arms of one of Loudon's friends, and getting a place of her own. Explain how certain events in Rocio's life prior to college, as described in the book, are likely to have foreshadowed her desire to change her collegiate love interest and living arrangements.
Essay Topic 2
Even though she never makes an actual appearance in the book, it is evident that Nieves' first daughter, Ronelia has a spot in the lives of Nieves and Rocio. Detail that role, and state whether Rocio or Nieves is affected more by her existence -- and explain why.
Essay Topic 3
Detail your thoughts on whether the promotions that Rocio receives while working at the hospital may have served as an impetus toward paralleling her transition from a Hispanic girl living on the "down" side of her street, to a more assimilated type of life as a Hispanic female writer, and thus befitting to the book title, "The Last of the Menu Girls".
This section contains 1,166 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)