|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following gifts does Nieves remember giving to Mercy one Christmas?
(a) Nieves does not remember any Christmas gift that she has given to Mercy.
(b) A book of poems.
(c) A play house.
(d) A pair of roller skates.
2. Which of the following is Nieves' profession?
3. What type of level is determined and assigned to the residents of Rocio's street, depending on the location of certain trees?
4. What type of tree does Rocio's mother plant?
5. What article of clothing did the young man whom Rocio secretly admires inadvertently leave at her house?
(a) A tee shirt.
(b) A sweatshirt.
(c) A jacket.
(d) A tie.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following adjectives is not descriptive of Nieves' nature?
2. Which of the following items does Rocio buy as a Christmas gift for her mother, Nieves?
3. What does Rocio hear upon "flying" into the universe?
4. What does the ashtray with cigarette butts that Nieves keeps on a shelf close to the table supposed to signify?
5. Overall, how can the celebration of Christmas at the Esquibel home best be described?
Short Essay Questions
1. Based on the narrative of the Space is a Solid section of the book, why is Rocio not happy with her current life?
2. Based on the text in the Evening in Paris section of the book, what events described therein contribute toward Rocio's resolve to not grow up to be like her mother, Nieves?
3. According to the narrative in the Shooting Stars section of the book, aside from beauty and proximity in age, is there yet another contributing factor that inspires Rocio to want to be like Josie's best friend, Barbara?
4. Based on the narrative in The Closet section of the book, is there a correlation between the "gray room", the "blue room", the universe, and their positions in relation to a yearning for a free-like existence that Rocio may have?
5. Based on the narrative in the Compadre section of the book, can you describe Rocio's father's visits with Rocio, Mercy, and Nieves?
6. How is Nieves' attitude toward her career as a school teacher depicted via the items in her closet?
7. Based on the narrative in The Last of the Menu Girls section of the book, does anything positive result from Rocio accepting the menu girl job at the hospital?
8. As the story progresses in the Space is a Solid section of the book, what are some of the things that Loudon does and/or fails to do that tarnish his image in terms of being "the bright spot" in Rocio's life?
9. Based on the narrative in the Willow Game section of the book, can you describe the individuals who live in the "down" section of Rocio's street?
10. What factors noted in the Willow Game section of the book contribute toward normalcy in Rocio's life?
This section contains 1,192 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)