|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nieves do with the Christmas present that she receives from Rocio?
(a) She uses it and does not store it away.
(b) She does not use it and stores it away.
(c) She does not use it nor store it away.
(d) She uses it and stores it.away.
2. Which of the following gifts does Nieves remember giving to Mercy one Christmas?
(a) A play house.
(b) Nieves does not remember any Christmas gift that she has given to Mercy.
(c) A book of poems.
(d) A pair of roller skates.
3. Which of the words below can best describe the Christmas gifts that Rocio and her sister, Mercy receive from their mother?
4. What do Rocio and Mercy do instead of taking an imposed nap?
(a) They go swimming.
(b) They watch television.
(c) They explore Nieves' closet.
(d) They eat watermelon.
5. What type of fruit tree is located on a vacant lot down the street from Rocio's home?
Short Answer Questions
1. The loss of which of the following prompts Rocio, her sister, and her mother to grieve?
2. What does the ashtray with cigarette butts that Nieves keeps on a shelf close to the table supposed to signify?
3. Where does the "marking off" tree on Rocio's street stand?
4. How does the man of the house next door to that of Rocio and her family appear to be to Rocio and her sister?
5. Aside from food, which of the following is stored in the Esquibels' kitchen?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Nieves' attitude toward her career as a school teacher depicted via the items in her closet?
2. According to the narrative in the Willow Game section of the book, why is Rocio likely to consider the willow tree to be her favorite?
3. Based on the narrative of the Willow Game section of the book, how do Rocio and her family show their reverence toward the willow tree?
4. Based on the text in the Evening in Paris section of the book, does religion play a role in the celebration of Christmas in Rocio's household?
5. According to the narrative in the Willow Game section of the book, aside from the trees in the neighborhood, is there anything or anyone that remains a constant in Rocio's life?
6. Based on the text in the Evening in Paris section of the book, what events described therein contribute toward Rocio's resolve to not grow up to be like her mother, Nieves?
7. According to the text in the Evening in Paris section of the book, what does Rocio seem to have in abundance and her mother, Nieves seem to lack in relation to the celebration of Christmas?
8. Based on the text in the Evening in Paris section of the book, how does the family's holiday meal appear to be in relation to those traditionally served among those celebrating Christmas?
9. What factors noted in the Willow Game section of the book contribute toward normalcy in Rocio's life?
10. Based on the story in the Evening in Paris section of the book, what best illustrates a lack of harmony between Rocio and her mother in terms of value and taste?
This section contains 1,294 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)