|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following gifts does Nieves remember giving to Mercy one Christmas?
(a) A book of poems.
(b) Nieves does not remember any Christmas gift that she has given to Mercy.
(c) A play house.
(d) A pair of roller skates.
2. Where does the "marking off" tree on Rocio's street stand?
(a) In Rocio's front yard.
(b) In the corner lot.
(c) In Rocio's front neighbor's front yard.
(d) In a vacant lot.
3. What is the subject matter of the home movies in Nieves' closet?
(a) The children in front of the willow tree.
(b) Nieves' children's appearances in their respective school plays.
(c) Nieves' family moving into their present home.
(d) The Annual Multi-Cultural Festival.
4. Which part of the street is Rocio's home located on?
(a) The "Up" part.
(b) The "Down" part.
(c) The "Middle" part.
(d) The "Last" part.
5. Which of the following events largely contributes toward enriching the cultural mix in Rocio's neighborhood?
(a) The Annual Fourth of July Celebration.
(b) The Annual Multi-Cultural Festival.
(c) African-American and Latino families living together.
(d) Latino and Anglo families living together.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main course at the Esquibel's family Christmas dinner?
2. What type of disposition does the eldest son of Rocio's next door neighbors seem to have?
3. Where do Rocio's neighbors send their eldest son to live?
4. Which of the following gifts does Nieves remember giving to Rocio one Christmas?
5. How many boys grew up on Rocio's street, and became wealthy later in life?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the narrative in the Willow Game section of the book, aside from the trees in the neighborhood, is there anything or anyone that remains a constant in Rocio's life?
2. What factors noted in the Willow Game section of the book contribute toward normalcy in Rocio's life?
3. How is Nieves' past reflected via the wedding photograph in her closet, and the details surrounding her first husband?
4. According to the text in the Evening in Paris section of the book, what does Rocio seem to have in abundance and her mother, Nieves seem to lack in relation to the celebration of Christmas?
5. Based on the story in the Evening in Paris section of the book, what best illustrates a lack of harmony between Rocio and her mother in terms of value and taste?
6. According to the narrative in the Willow Game section of the book, why is Rocio likely to consider the willow tree to be her favorite?
7. Based on the text in the Evening in Paris section of the book, what events described therein contribute toward Rocio's resolve to not grow up to be like her mother, Nieves?
8. What factors noted in the Willow Game section of the book contribute toward the existence of harmony on the "down" side of the street where Rocio lives?
9. Based on the narrative in the Willow Game section of the book, can you describe the individuals who live in the "up" section of Rocio's street?
10. According to the text in the Evening in Paris section of the book, how does frugality play a major role in the celebration of Christmas in Rocio's household?
This section contains 1,194 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)