|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the long engagement period forgone for Amir and Soraya?
(a) Due to financial matters.
(b) Due to college starting.
(c) Due to Soraya's past indiscretions.
(d) Due to Baba's illness.
2. Of what does the man with the sunglasses brag?
(a) Hanging men in public and leaving their bodies on display.
(b) Stoning the couple during the soccer match.
(c) His wealth and prestige.
(d) The Hazara Massacre in 1998.
3. How does Amir's wife react to hearing the entire truth about Amir's childhood?
4. What were Amir's injuries from the man in the sunglasses?
(a) A cut on his face and a broken leg.
(b) Broken ribs and a cut upper lip.
(c) Broken rips and a cut lower lip.
(d) Internal injuries and an eye wound.
5. Who appears at Hassan's door, bloody and broken and in need of care?
(d) Rahim Kahn.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Farid and Amir see on their way to the soccer match in Chapter 21?
2. What happens to the adulterous couple paraded into the arena during half-time at the soccer match?
3. Why does Farid assume Amir has come to Afghanistan in Chapter 19?
4. What style of literary expression does Amir often use to describe his reunion with Rahim Khan?
5. What affinity does Sohrab have that helped Amir begin to track him down in Chapter 20?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe one example of irony in Chapter 22.
2. What happened to the American couple who was to adopt Sohrab?
3. Describe the difference between the motivation for Amir leaving money under Hassan's mattress as a child and leaving it under Farid's family's mattress as an adult.
4. In Chapter 18, as Amir thinks about his childhood and Baba's attitude toward him, how does Amir feel?
5. Why do Farzana and Hassan nurse his mother back to health?
6. What does the note Rahim Khan leaves for Amir in Chapter 23 ask?
7. In Chapter 13, what does Amir feel is coming between him and Soraya in their marriage?
8. What skill does Soraya's mother have that she has been forbidden to share in public?
9. Why does Sohrab not have to go back to the orphanage in Chapter 24?
10. Why do you think Amir continues to refuse to share the truth about his quest with Farid in Chapter 21?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)