|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to the pomegranate tree?
(a) It died.
(b) It was full of life in a barren area still bearing fruit.
(c) It was Taliban headquarters.
(d) It was cut down and used for wood.
2. In Chapter 17, who does Rahim Kahn say will care for Sohrab?
(a) A Pakistani couple in America.
(b) An American couple in Pakistan.
(c) A couple in America.
(d) Amir and his wife.
3. Why does the man at the American Embassy seem depressed and encourage Amir to give up?
(a) His daughter committed suicide recently.
(b) He does not believe in adoption.
(c) The process is too complicated.
(d) Sohrab is too old to be adopted.
4. What does Farid warn Amir not to do after he meets his first Taliban officers?
(a) Not to speak.
(b) Not to stare.
(c) Not to give money to the beggars.
(d) Not to remove his beard.
5. What is the name of Hassan's wife?
6. How is the man with the sunglasses beaten in the end?
(a) Sohrab punishes him using the brass knuckles.
(b) Amir hits him in the eye with a brass ball from his slingshot.
(c) Amir punishes him with the brass knuckles.
(d) Sohrab hits him in the eye with a brass ball from his slingshot.
7. Where does Amir decide to go at the end of Chapter 18?
(c) Rahim Khan's apartment.
8. Why has the man with the sunglasses pledged his alliance to the Taliban?
(a) Because he is a bully and enjoys inflicting pain.
(b) Because he despises America.
(c) Because he is a Hazara.
(d) Because he was beaten in prison under the Sohwari.
9. Why is Baba's speech at Amir's engagement party not more impressive?
(a) He is too ill and short of breath.
(b) He is not happy about the engagement.
(c) The General stops him.
(d) He does not want to make a speech.
10. At first, the people of Afghanistan viewed the Taliban as what?
(c) The worst rulers.
11. Where does Amir finally admit his relationship with Sohrab?
(a) At the mosque.
(b) In the hospital.
(c) In the hotel.
(d) On a picnic.
12. What are the respective majors of Soraya and Amir in college?
(a) English & Math.
(b) English & Economics.
(c) History & Education.
(d) Education & English.
13. Why is Amir going to visit Rahim Khan in Chapter 14?
(a) Because he requested it.
(b) Because Amir is ill.
(c) Because Rahim Khan is ill.
(d) Because he wants to see Pakistan again.
14. How long have Soraya and Amir been married in Chapter 14?
(a) 20 years.
(b) 15 years.
(c) 10 years.
(d) 5 years.
15. Why does Rahim Khan want Amir to wait a little longer before beginning his journey in Chapter 19?
(a) To get word to Sohrab.
(b) To find an appropriate disguise.
(c) To have more time to prepare.
(d) To be able to sneak across with alerting the Taliban.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Farid assume Amir has come to Afghanistan in Chapter 19?
2. Who appears at Hassan's door, bloody and broken and in need of care?
3. Where does the director tell Amir he might find Sohrab?
4. Who left town while Amir was in the hospital?
5. What does Farid leave under a mattress in Farid's home?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)