|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
2. What is King Henri Christophe’s wife’s name?
3. What flower is considered the most decorative and desired, according to the narrator in Part Four: Chapter II?
4. What does Ti Noël do when he encounters a Voodoo offering to the Lord of the Roads in Part Three: Chapter I?
5. What is the title of Part Three: Chapter II?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Pauline go after her husband’s death in Part Two: Chapter VII? What happens to her sense of superstition?
2. How is Soliman perceived by the public in Rome in Part Four: Chapter I?
3. How is Pauline Bonaparte described in Part Two: Chapter VI? Where is she traveling?
4. How is the palace described in Part Three: Chapter II? How does Ti Noël find himself there?
5. How is King Henri Christophe’s demeanor described when he first arises in Part Three: Chapter VI?
6. Where does Pauline Bonaparte go after the plague begins spreading in Part Two: Chapter VII? Who goes with her?
7. What causes King Henri Christophe’s suicide in Part Three: Chapter VI?
8. How does Ti Noël become enslaved again in Part Three: Chapter II?
9. What leads to Pauline Bonaparte’s experimentation with Voodoo in Part Two: Chapter VII?
10. How is Ti Noël’s former plantation described in Part Three: Chapter II?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the character of M. Lenormand de Mézy and the other slave owners in the novel. How does M. Lenormand de Mézy’s character evolve from Part One: Chapter I to the end of the novel? Do you think this character shows any remorse for his actions? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the setting of the novel as depicted in Part One. In what era does the novel begin? What was the political climate like in Haiti at this time? How did the Haitians view French rule? What was the viewpoint of France regarding slavery in the Caribbean?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the news of the French authorities related by Bouckman in the novel and discuss the real events that took place. What tensions existed between the French authorities and the colonial slave owners in the Caribbean? How are these tensions depicted in the novel?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)