|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the white slave owners rarely kill their slaves, according to the narrator in Part Three: Chapter III?
2. What is all that’s left of the chapel at the plantation Ti Noël visits in Part Three: Chapter II?
3. One of the voodoo rituals described in Part Two: Chapter VII involves floating what items, decorated with ribbons, on the sea?
4. What are the names of the princesses described in Part Three: Chapter II?
5. Sans Souci is the palace of whom in Part Three: Chapter II?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is King Henri Christophe in the opening of Part Three: Chapter V? What thoughts consume the king?
2. How has M. Lenormand de Mézy’s status changed in Part Two: Chapter V?
3. What great fortress is described in Part Three: Chapter III? How is the reference to bulls in the title of the chapter associated with this setting?
4. How is King Henri Christophe’s behavior described in Part Three: Chapter III?
5. What changes are observed in Pauline Bonaparte’s behavior in Part Two: Chapter VII?
6. Where does Pauline go after her husband’s death in Part Two: Chapter VII? What happens to her sense of superstition?
7. What leads to Pauline Bonaparte’s experimentation with Voodoo in Part Two: Chapter VII?
8. What happens to King Henri Christophe’s body in Part Three: Chapter VII?
9. Where does Pauline Bonaparte go after the plague begins spreading in Part Two: Chapter VII? Who goes with her?
10. Why does M. Lenormand de Mézy turn to religion in Part Two: Chapter V?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the Yellow Fever epidemic described in Part Two. When was Yellow Fever identified? What treatments were available during the time of the novel? What symptoms does General Leclerc exhibit before he dies?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the time period and setting of Part Two: Chapter I. How have relationships on the plantation changed since Macandal’s death? What hope do the slaves hold for his return? How has the political climate in Haiti changed?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the impact of the initial uprisings in the Haitian Revolution. How many acres of plantations were destroyed? How many revolutionaries fought against the colonials? How great were the colonial forces? Does the author realistically depict the events which took place?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)