|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what time does Ti Noël lay down his last brick at the end of his first day with the workers in Part Three: Chapter III?
2. What does the ghostly apparition that appears to King Henri Christophe do after it appears?
3. In what capacity does Soliman work for King Henri Christophe in Part Three: Chapter VI?
4. What is the king’s body sunk into in Part Three: Chapter VII?
5. Where does Ti Noël eventually go to find food in Part Three: Chapter IV?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Pauline Bonaparte’s behavior depicted after her arrival on the island in Part Two: Chapter VI? What is her relationship to Soliman?
2. What causes King Henri Christophe’s suicide in Part Three: Chapter VI?
3. What are Ti Noël’s first impressions of Santo Domingo in Part Three: Chapter I?
4. What does the exposition reveal of Ti Noël’s circumstances in Part Three: Chapter I? How did Ti Noël gain freedom?
5. Where does Pauline Bonaparte go after the plague begins spreading in Part Two: Chapter VII? Who goes with her?
6. How is Santo Domingo described after Pauline Bonaparte’s departure in Part Two: Chapter VII?
7. What supernatural occurrence is described in Part Three: Chapter V?
8. How is Soliman perceived by the public in Rome in Part Four: Chapter I?
9. How is the slavery under King Henri Christophe described in Part Three: Chapter III?
10. Why does M. Lenormand de Mézy turn to religion in Part Two: Chapter V?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author’s depictions of women in the novel. In what ways are women seen as sexual objects? Is this depiction heightened or lessened through the character of Pauline Bonaparte? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the Yellow Fever epidemic described in Part Two. When was Yellow Fever identified? What treatments were available during the time of the novel? What symptoms does General Leclerc exhibit before he dies?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Ti Noël and his role as protagonist in the novel. What characteristics stand out in Ti Noël as “heroic”? How does Ti Noël view the world around him in Part One? What are his views on the colonial slave owners?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)