|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ti Noël sleep after his first day with the slave workers in Part Three: Chapter III?
2. In Part Three: Chapter II, Ti Noël walks for several days before finding what hideout of Macandal’s?
3. In Part Three: Chapter VII, the released prisoners talk of beheading the queen, as who was beheaded in the French Revolution?
4. What is the title of Part Two: Chapter VII?
5. One of Pauline’s maids discovers Pauline and a slave performing a ritual in which what animal has been sacrificed in Part Two: Chapter VII?
Short Essay Questions
1. What prisoner is described in the Archbishop's Palace in Part Three: Chapter IV? Why is he imprisoned?
2. What leads to Pauline Bonaparte’s experimentation with Voodoo in Part Two: Chapter VII?
3. How is the slavery under King Henri Christophe described in Part Three: Chapter III?
4. Where does Pauline go after her husband’s death in Part Two: Chapter VII? What happens to her sense of superstition?
5. How are the actions and behavior of the Santo Domingo slave owners described in Part Two: Chapter V?
6. How is Ti Noël’s former plantation described in Part Three: Chapter II?
7. Where does Pauline Bonaparte go after the plague begins spreading in Part Two: Chapter VII? Who goes with her?
8. What happens to King Henri Christophe’s body in Part Three: Chapter VII?
9. What changes are observed in Pauline Bonaparte’s behavior in Part Two: Chapter VII?
10. Why does M. Lenormand de Mézy turn to religion in Part Two: Chapter V?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the impact of the initial uprisings in the Haitian Revolution. How many acres of plantations were destroyed? How many revolutionaries fought against the colonials? How great were the colonial forces? Does the author realistically depict the events which took place?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of retribution and terrorism in the narrative. How does “terrorism” apply to the tactics of the revolting slaves? How does it apply to the slave owners? What symbolism does the author use to establish these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Governor Blancheland in the novel. What is Blancheland’s relationship with M. Lenormand de Mézy? How long has he been at his assignment when the revolution breaks out? How closely does this character relate to his model, Philibert François Rouxel de Blanchelande?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)