|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Pauline Bonaparte take with her when she departs for her husband’s second home in Part Two: Chapter VII?
2. In Part Three: Chapter VII, the released prisoners talk of beheading the queen, as who was beheaded in the French Revolution?
3. What disease does Pauline Bonaparte’s husband contract in Part Two: Chapter VII?
4. Pauline Bonaparte is described by the narrator as reveling in what during her voyage in Part Two: Chapter VI?
5. Sans Souci is the palace of whom in Part Three: Chapter II?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the slavery under King Henri Christophe described in Part Three: Chapter III?
2. Where does Pauline go after her husband’s death in Part Two: Chapter VII? What happens to her sense of superstition?
3. What does the exposition reveal of Ti Noël’s circumstances in Part Three: Chapter I? How did Ti Noël gain freedom?
4. What changes are observed in Pauline Bonaparte’s behavior in Part Two: Chapter VII?
5. What prisoner is described in the Archbishop's Palace in Part Three: Chapter IV? Why is he imprisoned?
6. How is King Henri Christophe’s demeanor described when he first arises in Part Three: Chapter VI?
7. How has M. Lenormand de Mézy’s status changed in Part Two: Chapter V?
8. Where does Ti Noël escape to in Part Three: Chapter IV? Why does he return to the Cap?
9. How is the palace described in Part Three: Chapter II? How does Ti Noël find himself there?
10. What leads to Pauline Bonaparte’s experimentation with Voodoo in Part Two: Chapter VII?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the impact of the initial uprisings in the Haitian Revolution. How many acres of plantations were destroyed? How many revolutionaries fought against the colonials? How great were the colonial forces? Does the author realistically depict the events which took place?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of retribution and terrorism in the narrative. How does “terrorism” apply to the tactics of the revolting slaves? How does it apply to the slave owners? What symbolism does the author use to establish these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of M. Lenormand de Mézy and the other slave owners in the novel. How does M. Lenormand de Mézy’s character evolve from Part One: Chapter I to the end of the novel? Do you think this character shows any remorse for his actions? Why or why not?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)