|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Pauline depart for after her husband’s death in Part Two?
2. At what time does Ti Noël lay down his last brick at the end of his first day with the workers in Part Three: Chapter III?
3. What part of King Henri Christophe’s body is given to his wife by the governor in Part Three: Chapter VII?
4. What is the title of Part Two: Chapter VII?
5. What is the title of Part Four: Chapter II?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the exposition reveal of Ti Noël’s circumstances in Part Three: Chapter I? How did Ti Noël gain freedom?
2. How does Ti Noël become enslaved again in Part Three: Chapter II?
3. What causes King Henri Christophe’s suicide in Part Three: Chapter VI?
4. How is the palace described in Part Three: Chapter II? How does Ti Noël find himself there?
5. How has M. Lenormand de Mézy’s status changed in Part Two: Chapter V?
6. Where does Pauline Bonaparte go after the plague begins spreading in Part Two: Chapter VII? Who goes with her?
7. What prisoner is described in the Archbishop's Palace in Part Three: Chapter IV? Why is he imprisoned?
8. What leads to Pauline Bonaparte’s experimentation with Voodoo in Part Two: Chapter VII?
9. What supernatural occurrence is described in Part Three: Chapter V?
10. What changes are observed in Pauline Bonaparte’s behavior in Part Two: Chapter VII?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the sexual violence depicted in the novel. Why do you think the author chooses to cut off the scene where Ti Noël goes to rape the plantation owner’s wife? Do you think his actions are justified, given the violence shown against the slaves in the narrative? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the impact of the initial uprisings in the Haitian Revolution. How many acres of plantations were destroyed? How many revolutionaries fought against the colonials? How great were the colonial forces? Does the author realistically depict the events which took place?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of enslavement in the novel. How does the enslavement under King Henri Christophe compare to the enslavement by the whites, in the protagonist’s view? How was enslavement enforced under King Henri Christophe? How did this period of enslavement end?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)