|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Soliman retells his stories and paints himself as what in Part Four: Chapter I?
(a) An accomplished musician
(b) A High Priest of Voodoo
(c) King Henri Christophe’s nephew
(d) The Archbishop of Canterbury
2. For how many years does the narrator say every person in the North has been enslaved to build the fortress in Part Three: Chapter III?
3. How did Ti Noël come to be the slave of a Cuban plantation owner, according to the narrator in Part Three: Chapter I?
(a) M. Lenormand de Mézy donated him
(b) Ti Noël ran away and was captured
(c) M. Lenormand de Mézy sold him
(d) M. Lenormand de Mézy lost him in a card game
4. What is Queen Marie-Louise embroidering in the beginning of Part Four: Chapter I?
(a) A baby bottle
(b) An altar cloth
(c) A pillowcase
(d) A rug
5. What is Part Three: Chapter I’s title?
(a) The Portents
(b) Dagon Inside the Ark
(c) The Metamorphoses
(d) Conch Shells
Short Answer Questions
1. What priest and confessor of King Henri Christophe has been taken prisoner in Part Three: Chapter IV?
2. One of Pauline’s maids discovers Pauline on the floor with another slave dancing around her holding what in Part Two: Chapter VII?
3. What does King Henri Christophe do at the end of Part Three: Chapter VI?
4. What is mixed with the mortar to protect the fortress in Part Three: Chapter III?
5. In Part Three: Chapter VII, the released prisoners talk of beheading the queen, as who was beheaded in the French Revolution?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the actions and behavior of the Santo Domingo slave owners described in Part Two: Chapter V?
2. How has M. Lenormand de Mézy’s status changed in Part Two: Chapter V?
3. How is the slavery under King Henri Christophe described in Part Three: Chapter III?
4. How is Soliman perceived by the public in Rome in Part Four: Chapter I?
5. What are Ti Noël’s first impressions of Santo Domingo in Part Three: Chapter I?
6. How is Pauline Bonaparte’s behavior depicted after her arrival on the island in Part Two: Chapter VI? What is her relationship to Soliman?
7. What changes are observed in Pauline Bonaparte’s behavior in Part Two: Chapter VII?
8. What causes King Henri Christophe’s suicide in Part Three: Chapter VI?
9. How is Santo Domingo described after Pauline Bonaparte’s departure in Part Two: Chapter VII?
10. How is Ti Noël’s former plantation described in Part Three: Chapter II?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)