|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose visage appears before King Henri Christophe in Part Three: Chapter V?
(a) Corneille Breille’s
(c) Mlle. Floridor’s
2. What is the title of Part Two: Chapter VII?
(a) The Royal Palace
(b) Saint Calamity
(c) Conch Shells
(d) The Solemn Pact
3. What previously unnoticed sound does King Henri Christophe observe in the palace rooms in Part Three: Chapter VI?
(a) Owls hooting
(b) Ducks quacking
(c) Frogs croaking
(d) Insects buzzing
4. Pauline Bonaparte’s husband insists that she depart for the house where in Part Two: Chapter VII?
(c) La Tortue
5. What does Soliman fall ill with in Part Four: Chapter I?
(a) Skin cancer
(c) Yellow Fever
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the names of the princesses described in Part Three: Chapter II?
2. What flower is considered the most decorative and desired, according to the narrator in Part Four: Chapter II?
3. In Part Four: Chapter II, what is Ti Noël’s most valued possession that once belonged to King Christophe?
4. Pauline Bonaparte is described by the narrator as reveling in what during her voyage in Part Two: Chapter VI?
5. Soliman retells his stories and paints himself as what in Part Four: Chapter I?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the actions and behavior of the Santo Domingo slave owners described in Part Two: Chapter V?
2. How is Ti Noël’s former plantation described in Part Three: Chapter II?
3. What changes are observed in Pauline Bonaparte’s behavior in Part Two: Chapter VII?
4. How is Santo Domingo described after Pauline Bonaparte’s departure in Part Two: Chapter VII?
5. Where does Pauline go after her husband’s death in Part Two: Chapter VII? What happens to her sense of superstition?
6. How is the slavery under King Henri Christophe described in Part Three: Chapter III?
7. What great fortress is described in Part Three: Chapter III? How is the reference to bulls in the title of the chapter associated with this setting?
8. What are Ti Noël’s first impressions of Santo Domingo in Part Three: Chapter I?
9. What leads to Pauline Bonaparte’s experimentation with Voodoo in Part Two: Chapter VII?
10. How is Pauline Bonaparte’s behavior depicted after her arrival on the island in Part Two: Chapter VI? What is her relationship to Soliman?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)