|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the names of the princesses described in Part Three: Chapter II?
(a) Esmerelda and Victoria
(b) Athenaїs and Améthyste
(c) Susanna and Elizabeth
(d) Pauline and Samantha
2. What is mixed with the mortar to protect the fortress in Part Three: Chapter III?
(a) Bull's blood
(b) Sea water
(c) Clam shells
(d) Rabbit hair
3. Who does Pauline Bonaparte take with her when she departs for her husband’s second home in Part Two: Chapter VII?
(a) Her mother and father
(b) Soliman and her maids
(c) Her maids and her father
(d) Her daughter and son
4. One of Pauline’s maids discovers Pauline on the floor with another slave dancing around her holding what in Part Two: Chapter VII?
(a) A frying pan
(b) A machete
(c) A sickle
(d) A hatchet
5. What are Pauline Bonaparte’s impressions of the island when she and her husband arrive in Part Two: Chapter VI?
(a) She finds it terrifying
(b) She finds it filthy and disgusting
(c) She finds it exotic
(d) She finds it culturally deficient
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the white slave owners rarely kill their slaves, according to the narrator in Part Three: Chapter III?
2. One of the voodoo rituals described in Part Two: Chapter VII involves floating what items, decorated with ribbons, on the sea?
3. M. Lenormand de Mézy spends his time doing what in Cuba in Part Two: Chapter V?
4. Who is playing the piano in the beginning of Part Four: Chapter I?
5. What does King Henri Christophe do at the end of Part Three: Chapter VI?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ti Noël become enslaved again in Part Three: Chapter II?
2. What are Ti Noël’s first impressions of Santo Domingo in Part Three: Chapter I?
3. What changes are observed in Pauline Bonaparte’s behavior in Part Two: Chapter VII?
4. How is Ti Noël’s former plantation described in Part Three: Chapter II?
5. Where is King Henri Christophe in the opening of Part Three: Chapter V? What thoughts consume the king?
6. How is King Henri Christophe’s behavior described in Part Three: Chapter III?
7. How are the actions and behavior of the Santo Domingo slave owners described in Part Two: Chapter V?
8. How is the palace described in Part Three: Chapter II? How does Ti Noël find himself there?
9. What great fortress is described in Part Three: Chapter III? How is the reference to bulls in the title of the chapter associated with this setting?
10. Why does M. Lenormand de Mézy turn to religion in Part Two: Chapter V?
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)