|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Part Three: Chapter V is titled “Chronicle of” what date?
(a) June 28
(b) April 1
(c) August 15
(d) December 7
2. What are the names of the princesses described in Part Three: Chapter II?
(a) Esmerelda and Victoria
(b) Athenaїs and Améthyste
(c) Pauline and Samantha
(d) Susanna and Elizabeth
3. What disease does Pauline Bonaparte’s husband contract in Part Two: Chapter VII?
(a) Lung cancer
(d) Yellow Fever
4. How did Ti Noël come to be the slave of a Cuban plantation owner, according to the narrator in Part Three: Chapter I?
(a) M. Lenormand de Mézy sold him
(b) M. Lenormand de Mézy lost him in a card game
(c) Ti Noël ran away and was captured
(d) M. Lenormand de Mézy donated him
5. What still stands among the ruins of the plantation that Ti Noël visits in Part Three: Chapter II?
(a) The willow tree
(b) The chimney
(c) The hanging pavilion
(d) The elm tree
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Venus of Canova statue holding in Part Four: Chapter I?
2. At what time does Ti Noël lay down his last brick at the end of his first day with the workers in Part Three: Chapter III?
3. Who is the replacement for King Henri Christophe’s priest and confessor in Part Three: Chapter IV?
4. In Part Three: Chapter II, Ti Noël walks for several days before finding the plantation that once belonged to whom?
5. What is mixed with the mortar to protect the fortress in Part Three: Chapter III?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Pauline Bonaparte go after the plague begins spreading in Part Two: Chapter VII? Who goes with her?
2. How is the palace described in Part Three: Chapter II? How does Ti Noël find himself there?
3. How is Ti Noël’s former plantation described in Part Three: Chapter II?
4. What changes are observed in Pauline Bonaparte’s behavior in Part Two: Chapter VII?
5. What great fortress is described in Part Three: Chapter III? How is the reference to bulls in the title of the chapter associated with this setting?
6. How is King Henri Christophe’s behavior described in Part Three: Chapter III?
7. How has M. Lenormand de Mézy’s status changed in Part Two: Chapter V?
8. What prisoner is described in the Archbishop's Palace in Part Three: Chapter IV? Why is he imprisoned?
9. How are the actions and behavior of the Santo Domingo slave owners described in Part Two: Chapter V?
10. How is Santo Domingo described after Pauline Bonaparte’s departure in Part Two: Chapter VII?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)