|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Soliman fall ill with in Part Four: Chapter I?
(c) Skin cancer
(d) Yellow Fever
2. Soliman retells his stories and paints himself as what in Part Four: Chapter I?
(a) An accomplished musician
(b) A High Priest of Voodoo
(c) King Henri Christophe’s nephew
(d) The Archbishop of Canterbury
3. What is all that’s left of the chapel at the plantation Ti Noël visits in Part Three: Chapter II?
(a) The pulpit
(b) The sacrificial altar
(c) The weather vane
(d) The confessional
4. Part Three: Chapter III is titled “The Sacrifice of the” what?
(d) Conch Shells
5. What is Part Three: Chapter IV’s title?
(a) What the Hand Found
(b) The Reckoning
(c) The Solemn Pact
(d) The Immured
6. Pauline Bonaparte is described by the narrator as reveling in what during her voyage in Part Two: Chapter VI?
(a) Her husband's lust for her
(b) The sailors' lust for her
(c) Her slaves' lust for her
(d) The king's lust for her
7. What is the Venus of Canova statue holding in Part Four: Chapter I?
(a) An orange
(b) An apple
(c) An almond
(d) A walnut
8. What is the title of Part Three: Chapter II?
(a) The Reckoning
(b) The Immured
(c) The Great Fight
(d) San Souci
9. Pauline Bonaparte’s world is interrupted when who coughs up blood and collapses in Part Two: Chapter VI?
(a) Her husband
(b) Her hairdresser
(c) Her daughter
(d) Her masseuse
10. What does the ghostly apparition that appears to King Henri Christophe do after it appears?
(a) It leaps to the roof-beams
(b) It calls forth a pack of wolves
(c) It bursts into flames
(d) It stabs King Henri Christophe
11. In the end of Part Two, what are thrown to the dogs as a sport?
(a) White children
(b) Black women
(c) Black men
(d) White women
12. In Part Four: Chapter II, what is Ti Noël’s most valued possession that once belonged to King Christophe?
(a) An amethyst-colored chair
(b) A green silk dress coat
(c) A bear rug
(d) A blue chandelier
13. What monstrous structure is described as rising up on top of a mountain in Part Three: Chapter III?
(a) La Tortue
(b) The Citadel La Ferriére
(c) Borghese Palace
(d) Le Bonnet de l'Évêque
14. Soliman engages in an affair with a maid at what palace in Part Four: Chapter I?
(a) La Tortue
(b) Borghese Palace
(c) Le Bonnet de l'Évêque
(d) Auberge de la Couronne
15. In Part Three: Chapter VII, the released prisoners talk of beheading the queen, as who was beheaded in the French Revolution?
(a) King Charles II
(b) Marie Antoinette
(c) Napoleon Bonaparte
(d) King Henry VIII
Short Answer Questions
1. The statue of Venus of Canova was modeled by whom, according to the narrator in Part Four: Chapter I?
2. Sans Souci is the palace of whom in Part Three: Chapter II?
3. What is Part Three: Chapter I’s title?
4. Where does Pauline Bonaparte begin sleeping every night during her voyage in Part Two: Chapter VI?
5. What is the title of Part Three: Chapter VI?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)