|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which doctrine is usually defined by cultists?
(a) The reason for existence
(b) The Trinity
2. Spiritism is __________________________.
(a) a relatively new cult
(b) not in existence anymore
(c) is a melting pot of cults
(d) one of the oldest forms of religious cult
3. Christian Scientists believe that hell is _________________________.
(a) the place where all non-members go
(b) a place of fire and brimstone
(c) a temporary holding place
(d) made by the sinner who does evil
4. Mary Baker Eddy's book, Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures _________________________.
(a) explained Mrs. Eddy's philosophy
(b) contained the truths of Mind Science
(c) became a bestseller
(d) contained many plagiarisms
5. How many cult members are there in the United States?
(a) 50 million
(b) 10 million
(c) 1 million
(d) 20 million
Short Answer Questions
1. The practice of indoctrination falls under which characteristic of a cult?
2. Mormons believe in ___________________________.
3. Until 1952, Hubbard's movement was known as _________________.
4. The name Jehovah's Witnesses was taken to distinguish the true followers of the founder in _______________.
5. Satori is defined as ___________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Did Russell have the background and training that he claimed to have?
2. What distinguishes Unitarians from orthodox Christianity?
3. How should the Church deal with cults?
4. Describe the derivation of Japanese Zen Buddhism.
5. Who assumed control of the Christian Science Church after Mrs. Eddy's death?
6. Explain how the cult takes concepts from the Bible out of context?
7. What does Scientology promise its followers?
8. What is the important first step in establishing rapport with a cult member?
9. Do Jehovah's Witnesses believe that the return of Christ has occurred?
10. What is the basic view of the Theosophist?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)