|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What rolls down the road when the moon is small, according to Margaret?
2. What is the last name of the cousins that Abigail goes on an outing with once or twice a month?
3. How old was Margaret when her mother left for good?
4. What is another name for Somerset County?
5. Where does William first see evidence of Margaret's work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does it take so long for John to contact Abigail and ask her out for a second date. Describe their dates.
2. What's the story of Cousin Francine's marriages?
3. Describe the house that Margaret grows up in.
4. What does Abigail remember about family vacations?
5. Describe Somerset County.
6. What does Abigail remember about Robert as a child?
7. What does Abigail remember about the first part of her life?
8. How long does the great-grandmother's funeral last?
9. How does Margaret know that spring has come in the Book of Margaret?
10. On moving to Madison City, what does Abigail recall being told about her mother.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss why Margaret defers to Ramona, another servant, by accepting the worst of the bedding and addressing her with "Yes'm."
Essay Topic 2
In reciting the history of the Howlands, deaths are treated matter-of-factly and with little emotion. While the scene of Lorena's death carries little emotion, it is described with great detail. Why is this significant?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss ways that this book may be view as dated. Be certain to address belief systems and attitudes. Is there anything that still rings true today?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)