|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Cousin Mary's family from?
2. Who mentions that Abigail flounces out of the house?
3. What is another name for Somerset County?
4. Who catches pneumonia after having the chicken pox and almost dies?
5. What outlines the graves in New Church?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why the townspeople are angry at the grandfather for not bringing his daughter's body home for burial from Santa Fe?
2. How does Margaret know that spring has come in the Book of Margaret?
3. Why does it take so long for John to contact Abigail and ask her out for a second date. Describe their dates.
4. What's the story of Cousin Francine's marriages?
5. What is the story of the hoop snake?
6. What are Abigail's days like after she and John marry but before he finishes his last year of law school?
7. Without medical help, one of the children could died from pneumonia. What do the Howlands do?
8. What does Abigail remember about Robert as a child?
9. What does Abigail remember about family vacations?
10. Describe the house that Margaret grows up in.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss why Margaret defers to Ramona, another servant, by accepting the worst of the bedding and addressing her with "Yes'm."
Essay Topic 2
What is the purpose of naming a child after a parent, in particular, naming sons after their fathers? When William Marshal Howland has a son, he is named only William Howland with the explanation that "his mother having come from ordinary people with no feeling for their name." Is naming of children tied to class or status?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the first section, Abigail admits that if she were to be honest, she would wish that Robert weren't alive. Discuss this statement. Does this make Abigail evil?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)