|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Margaret when her mother left for good?
2. As a child, where does Abigail go stay for almost a year?
3. What do the road crews discover when they blast through McCarren Hill?
4. Whose job is it to water the garden in Margaret's family?
5. Ramona hunts through an armoire until she finds _________ for Margaret.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Howland kitchen.
2. Describe how Margaret's family spend their time when the floods require that they move out of their home for three to four weeks.
3. What does Margaret take with her when she moves from New Church to the Howland estate?
4. How long does the great-grandmother's funeral last?
5. Why does it take so long for John to contact Abigail and ask her out for a second date. Describe their dates.
6. What is the story of the hoop snake?
7. What are death gifts, and what happens if you touch one?
8. Describe the house that Margaret grows up in.
9. What are Abigail's days like after she and John marry but before he finishes his last year of law school?
10. How does Margaret behave after her children leave for boarding school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss ways that this book may be view as dated. Be certain to address belief systems and attitudes. Is there anything that still rings true today?
Essay Topic 2
Identify five examples of racial tension in "The Keepers of the House," and analyze them.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Abigail's relationship with her husband from her perspective. Be certain to discuss how her opinion of him changes.
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)