|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does William honor his daughter after death in Wade County?
2. Where is John stationed during the Korean war?
3. What is the last name of the cousins that Abigail goes on an outing with once or twice a month?
4. After the Korean War, where does John set up his practice?
5. Where does Margaret see her grandmother's spirit immediately after the funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Somerset County.
2. Without medical help, one of the children could died from pneumonia. What do the Howlands do?
3. What are death gifts, and what happens if you touch one?
4. Describe the only act of affection between her grandfather and Margaret that Abigail witnesses.
5. How does Margaret behave after her children leave for boarding school?
6. On moving to Madison City, what does Abigail recall being told about her mother.
7. What does Margaret's first bedroom at the Howland home look like?
8. How does Margaret know that spring has come in the Book of Margaret?
9. Why does it take so long for John to contact Abigail and ask her out for a second date. Describe their dates.
10. How long does the great-grandmother's funeral last?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the effects of the Depression on the Howland family.
Essay Topic 2
Has Margaret ever felt love in her life? If so, from whom? How is this love demonstrated? If a child doesn't feel love, what can be the result?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss William's excitement at the "game" of finding a still in the swamp. Why would this bring about a change in his behavior?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)