|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Three books are mentioned that Abigail receives for agreeing to pretend to be the sick child. They are The Swiss Family Robinson, Kidnapped, and ________________.
2. Who tells Margaret about her father and how her parents met?
3. As a child, where does Abigail go stay for almost a year?
4. What is another name that Margaret knows for water moccasins?
5. What do people clean muddy shoes on at the Howland home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why the townspeople are angry at the grandfather for not bringing his daughter's body home for burial from Santa Fe?
2. Why does it take so long for John to contact Abigail and ask her out for a second date. Describe their dates.
3. What are death gifts, and what happens if you touch one?
4. What does Margaret's first bedroom at the Howland home look like?
5. Without medical help, one of the children could died from pneumonia. What do the Howlands do?
6. What does Abigail remember about Robert as a child?
7. How did Margaret's parents meet?
8. How does Margaret behave after her children leave for boarding school?
9. What are Abigail's days like after she and John marry but before he finishes his last year of law school?
10. What does Margaret take with her when she moves from New Church to the Howland estate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why, in your opinion, that the author jumps from the beginning of William and Margaret's relationship to the fact that "She bore him five children, all told. Three of them lives, two girls and a boy." Why is more of their relationship not shown to the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss William's excitement at the "game" of finding a still in the swamp. Why would this bring about a change in his behavior?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Abigail's relationship with her husband from her perspective. Be certain to discuss how her opinion of him changes.
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)