|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What outlines the graves in New Church?
2. As a child, where does Abigail go stay for almost a year?
3. What do people clean muddy shoes on at the Howland home?
4. What is the last name of the cousins that Abigail goes on an outing with once or twice a month?
5. Where does Margaret wash the clothes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Abigail remember about Robert as a child?
2. Explain why the townspeople are angry at the grandfather for not bringing his daughter's body home for burial from Santa Fe?
3. What's the story of Cousin Francine's marriages?
4. On moving to Madison City, what does Abigail recall being told about her mother.
5. What does Margaret's first bedroom at the Howland home look like?
6. How does Margaret behave after her children leave for boarding school?
7. Describe the Howland kitchen.
8. Describe Somerset County.
9. What are Abigail's days like after she and John marry but before he finishes his last year of law school?
10. How does Margaret know that spring has come in the Book of Margaret?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Providence River is mentioned three times within the first six pages. Discuss the possible significance of the river in the story.
Essay Topic 2
Identify five examples of racial tension in "The Keepers of the House," and analyze them.
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the first section, Abigail admits that if she were to be honest, she would wish that Robert weren't alive. Discuss this statement. Does this make Abigail evil?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)