|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abigail's mother do with letters that arrive from her husband?
2. Whose job is it to water the garden in Margaret's family?
3. With whom does Ramona live?
4. How old was Margaret when her mother left for good?
5. What is another name for Somerset County?
Short Essay Questions
1. How long does the great-grandmother's funeral last?
2. How did Margaret's parents meet?
3. Describe how Margaret's family spend their time when the floods require that they move out of their home for three to four weeks.
4. Without medical help, one of the children could died from pneumonia. What do the Howlands do?
5. What does Abigail remember about the first part of her life?
6. What's the story of Cousin Francine's marriages?
7. What is the story of the hoop snake?
8. What does Margaret's first bedroom at the Howland home look like?
9. Why does it take so long for John to contact Abigail and ask her out for a second date. Describe their dates.
10. Describe the house that Margaret grows up in.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Providence River is mentioned three times within the first six pages. Discuss the possible significance of the river in the story.
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the book, Abigail has taken steps to enact her revenge. She demonstrates that she is the one in power. If she is indeed, in power, then why does the book end with her unraveling into tears?
Essay Topic 3
Abigail knows that John has joined racist societies like the Ku Klux Klan and the Citizen's Council. At first she believes that it's just something he's required to do as a Southern man in power. Since he treats Margaret and Oliver nicely, she believes he isn't prejudiced. Discuss what prejudice is and what it looks like.
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)