|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the last name of the cousins that Abigail goes on an outing with once or twice a month?
2. When William shows concern at Margaret getting weak-kneed, she blames it on _____________.
3. With whom does Ramona live?
4. Where did William find a mouse nest?
5. What is another name for Somerset County?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Margaret know that spring has come in the Book of Margaret?
2. How does Margaret behave after her children leave for boarding school?
3. What's the story of Cousin Francine's marriages?
4. What does Abigail remember about Robert as a child?
5. What does Margaret take with her when she moves from New Church to the Howland estate?
6. What are Margaret's earliest memories?
7. Explain why the townspeople are angry at the grandfather for not bringing his daughter's body home for burial from Santa Fe?
8. How long does the great-grandmother's funeral last?
9. What are death gifts, and what happens if you touch one?
10. Describe how Margaret's family spend their time when the floods require that they move out of their home for three to four weeks.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the first section of the book, the reader is introduced to Abigail. Although no specifics are given, it's evident that Abigail has been through a lot. Describe Abigail's mood. What in the first section helps you arrive at your conclusions?
Essay Topic 2
Explain why, in your opinion, that the author jumps from the beginning of William and Margaret's relationship to the fact that "She bore him five children, all told. Three of them lives, two girls and a boy." Why is more of their relationship not shown to the reader?
Essay Topic 3
In reciting the history of the Howlands, deaths are treated matter-of-factly and with little emotion. While the scene of Lorena's death carries little emotion, it is described with great detail. Why is this significant?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)