|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Margaret when she learns the story of her father?
2. Who is Robert Stokes?
3. After the Korean War, where does John set up his practice?
4. Who goes out on the nights of the new moon to look for a hoop snake?
5. At one point during the grandmother's funeral, Margaret wishes she was _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Margaret's parents meet?
2. What does Abigail remember about family vacations?
3. Without medical help, one of the children could died from pneumonia. What do the Howlands do?
4. How does Margaret behave after her children leave for boarding school?
5. What does Abigail remember about the first part of her life?
6. Describe Somerset County.
7. How long does the great-grandmother's funeral last?
8. What are Abigail's days like after she and John marry but before he finishes his last year of law school?
9. Describe the house that Margaret grows up in.
10. Describe how Margaret's family spend their time when the floods require that they move out of their home for three to four weeks.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the purpose of naming a child after a parent, in particular, naming sons after their fathers? When William Marshal Howland has a son, he is named only William Howland with the explanation that "his mother having come from ordinary people with no feeling for their name." Is naming of children tied to class or status?
Essay Topic 2
Identify five examples of racial tension in "The Keepers of the House," and analyze them.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss William's relationship with the townspeople of Madison City in the Book of William.
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)