|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose job is it to water the garden in Margaret's family?
2. What does Abigail's mother do with letters that arrive from her husband?
3. How many children do William and Margaret have?
4. Who did Abigail's father quote after the World War II started in 1939?
5. What did Margaret's family once turned into beads?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Margaret's parents meet?
2. Why does it take so long for John to contact Abigail and ask her out for a second date. Describe their dates.
3. What are Abigail's days like after she and John marry but before he finishes his last year of law school?
4. Describe the Howland kitchen.
5. What does Margaret find in the Howland woods that she brings back to the house?
6. How long does the great-grandmother's funeral last?
7. What does Abigail remember about Robert as a child?
8. Describe the house that Margaret grows up in.
9. What does Margaret take with her when she moves from New Church to the Howland estate?
10. What does Abigail remember about family vacations?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss William's relationship with the townspeople of Madison City in the Book of William.
Essay Topic 2
Explain why, in your opinion, that the author jumps from the beginning of William and Margaret's relationship to the fact that "She bore him five children, all told. Three of them lives, two girls and a boy." Why is more of their relationship not shown to the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Describe what the author means by "keep your heart ticking under the sheltering arches of your ribs."
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)