|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What train runs from Atlanta to Madison City?
2. Who was the youngest of Margaret's children?
3. Which child receives the most affection from Margaret and William?
4. What rolls down the road when the moon is small, according to Margaret?
5. Who tells Abigail that she's not "beholden" to the Howland home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Without medical help, one of the children could died from pneumonia. What do the Howlands do?
2. What does Margaret's first bedroom at the Howland home look like?
3. Describe Somerset County.
4. What are Abigail's days like after she and John marry but before he finishes his last year of law school?
5. How does Margaret know that spring has come in the Book of Margaret?
6. Describe the only act of affection between her grandfather and Margaret that Abigail witnesses.
7. What does Abigail remember about family vacations?
8. On moving to Madison City, what does Abigail recall being told about her mother.
9. What are Margaret's earliest memories?
10. What are death gifts, and what happens if you touch one?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Providence River is mentioned three times within the first six pages. Discuss the possible significance of the river in the story.
Essay Topic 2
Identify five examples of racial tension in "The Keepers of the House," and analyze them.
Essay Topic 3
Abigail knows that John has joined racist societies like the Ku Klux Klan and the Citizen's Council. At first she believes that it's just something he's required to do as a Southern man in power. Since he treats Margaret and Oliver nicely, she believes he isn't prejudiced. Discuss what prejudice is and what it looks like.
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)