|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What outlines the graves in New Church?
2. How old is Margaret when she learns the story of her father?
3. According to Margaret's mother, what is hippin?
4. What does Margaret eat from the streams?
5. Who attends Carnegie Tech?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Margaret behave after her children leave for boarding school?
2. Why does it take so long for John to contact Abigail and ask her out for a second date. Describe their dates.
3. Describe how Margaret's family spend their time when the floods require that they move out of their home for three to four weeks.
4. What does Margaret take with her when she moves from New Church to the Howland estate?
5. How long does the great-grandmother's funeral last?
6. What does Margaret find in the Howland woods that she brings back to the house?
7. What does Abigail remember about family vacations?
8. Describe the Howland kitchen.
9. What does Abigail remember about the first part of her life?
10. On moving to Madison City, what does Abigail recall being told about her mother.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Abigail knows that John has joined racist societies like the Ku Klux Klan and the Citizen's Council. At first she believes that it's just something he's required to do as a Southern man in power. Since he treats Margaret and Oliver nicely, she believes he isn't prejudiced. Discuss what prejudice is and what it looks like.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss William's excitement at the "game" of finding a still in the swamp. Why would this bring about a change in his behavior?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why Margaret defers to Ramona, another servant, by accepting the worst of the bedding and addressing her with "Yes'm."
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)