|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who attends Carnegie Tech?
2. What name did the Howland place once go by that an ancestor tried unsuccessfully to bring back?
3. What rolls down the road when the moon is small, according to Margaret?
4. What realization does Margaret come to after the move to higher ground during the spring floods?
5. Oliver lived with his sister by a big spring. What was the name of the spring?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does it take so long for John to contact Abigail and ask her out for a second date. Describe their dates.
2. How does Margaret know that spring has come in the Book of Margaret?
3. Describe the Howland kitchen.
4. What does Margaret take with her when she moves from New Church to the Howland estate?
5. Describe the only act of affection between her grandfather and Margaret that Abigail witnesses.
6. What does Abigail remember about family vacations?
7. How does Margaret behave after her children leave for boarding school?
8. Describe Somerset County.
9. Describe how Margaret's family spend their time when the floods require that they move out of their home for three to four weeks.
10. How did Margaret's parents meet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "The Keepers of the House," there are two Abigail books. One is the shortest book, and the other is the largest. Compare and contrast the purpose of these two books in this novel.
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the first section, Abigail admits that if she were to be honest, she would wish that Robert weren't alive. Discuss this statement. Does this make Abigail evil?
Essay Topic 3
The Providence River is mentioned three times within the first six pages. Discuss the possible significance of the river in the story.
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)