|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who leaves for boarding school the autumn after William's daughter dies?
2. What outlines the graves in New Church?
3. What is another name that Margaret knows for water moccasins?
4. Three books are mentioned that Abigail receives for agreeing to pretend to be the sick child. They are The Swiss Family Robinson, Kidnapped, and ________________.
5. What realization does Margaret come to after the move to higher ground during the spring floods?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the house that Margaret grows up in.
2. Explain why the townspeople are angry at the grandfather for not bringing his daughter's body home for burial from Santa Fe?
3. What's the story of Cousin Francine's marriages?
4. How does Margaret behave after her children leave for boarding school?
5. What are death gifts, and what happens if you touch one?
6. What are Margaret's earliest memories?
7. On moving to Madison City, what does Abigail recall being told about her mother.
8. What are Abigail's days like after she and John marry but before he finishes his last year of law school?
9. How long does the great-grandmother's funeral last?
10. What does Margaret take with her when she moves from New Church to the Howland estate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Abigail knows that John has joined racist societies like the Ku Klux Klan and the Citizen's Council. At first she believes that it's just something he's required to do as a Southern man in power. Since he treats Margaret and Oliver nicely, she believes he isn't prejudiced. Discuss what prejudice is and what it looks like.
Essay Topic 2
Explain why, in your opinion, that the author jumps from the beginning of William and Margaret's relationship to the fact that "She bore him five children, all told. Three of them lives, two girls and a boy." Why is more of their relationship not shown to the reader?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the book, Abigail has taken steps to enact her revenge. She demonstrates that she is the one in power. If she is indeed, in power, then why does the book end with her unraveling into tears?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)