|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do people clean muddy shoes on at the Howland home?
2. Who attends Carnegie Tech?
3. How old was Margaret when her mother left for good?
4. Who leaves for boarding school the autumn after William's daughter dies?
5. What sound do the branches of the bluish white hickory tree make?
Short Essay Questions
1. Without medical help, one of the children could died from pneumonia. What do the Howlands do?
2. Describe the only act of affection between her grandfather and Margaret that Abigail witnesses.
3. Explain why the townspeople are angry at the grandfather for not bringing his daughter's body home for burial from Santa Fe?
4. What are Margaret's earliest memories?
5. Describe how Margaret's family spend their time when the floods require that they move out of their home for three to four weeks.
6. What does Margaret's first bedroom at the Howland home look like?
7. What does Margaret find in the Howland woods that she brings back to the house?
8. On moving to Madison City, what does Abigail recall being told about her mother.
9. What does Margaret take with her when she moves from New Church to the Howland estate?
10. Describe the Howland kitchen.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Abigail's relationship with her husband from her perspective. Be certain to discuss how her opinion of him changes.
Essay Topic 2
Identify five examples of racial tension in "The Keepers of the House," and analyze them.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss William's excitement at the "game" of finding a still in the swamp. Why would this bring about a change in his behavior?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)