|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "It's hot and I'm miseried"?
2. Why is Abigail expelled from college?
3. According to Margaret's mother, what is hippin?
4. With whom does Ramona live?
5. What does William find on his back porch that he thinks looks "right pretty"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Abigail remember about Robert as a child?
2. Describe the only act of affection between her grandfather and Margaret that Abigail witnesses.
3. Describe how Margaret's family spend their time when the floods require that they move out of their home for three to four weeks.
4. Describe the house that Margaret grows up in.
5. What does Abigail remember about the first part of her life?
6. Without medical help, one of the children could died from pneumonia. What do the Howlands do?
7. How does Margaret know that spring has come in the Book of Margaret?
8. What does Margaret's first bedroom at the Howland home look like?
9. How did Margaret's parents meet?
10. What does Margaret take with her when she moves from New Church to the Howland estate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Providence River is mentioned three times within the first six pages. Discuss the possible significance of the river in the story.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the effects of the Depression on the Howland family.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss William's excitement at the "game" of finding a still in the swamp. Why would this bring about a change in his behavior?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)