|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name did the Howland place once go by that an ancestor tried unsuccessfully to bring back?
2. Who did Abigail's father quote after the World War II started in 1939?
3. What realization does Margaret come to after the move to higher ground during the spring floods?
4. Where does Margaret wash the clothes?
5. What does Abigail's mother do with letters that arrive from her husband?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss ways that this book may be view as dated. Be certain to address belief systems and attitudes. Is there anything that still rings true today?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss William's relationship with the townspeople of Madison City in the Book of William.
Essay Topic 3
What is the purpose of naming a child after a parent, in particular, naming sons after their fathers? When William Marshal Howland has a son, he is named only William Howland with the explanation that "his mother having come from ordinary people with no feeling for their name." Is naming of children tied to class or status?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)