|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When William is called to war, where does he go?
2. In the first Book of Abigail, what month is it?
3. What looks like a choppy sea to Abigail?
4. What is a 'painter' as mentioned in the Book of William?
5. Whose shrieking does Abigail miss in the first Book of Abigail?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the land that William Marshall Howland claims.
2. Describe Lorena Adams.
3. What does William Howland do for amusement while living in Atlanta?
4. What memories does Abigail think of after she thinks the owl flies over the river?
5. In the first Book of Abigail, what does Abigail remember of being a child in this house?
6. What is the reaction when William subscribes to the New York Tribune at his daughter's request?
7. Describe the Howland tomb and its eventual use.
8. What does Aimee Legendre Howland have a craving for, and how does she meet this craving?
9. How does William live his life after the death of his wife and son?
10. How is the content of "The Keepers of the House" organized?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the mood of the writing between the Book of William and the Book of Margaret.
Essay Topic 2
The time span of this novel is many years. Estimate the time period of each "book" and explain how you came to this conclusion.
Essay Topic 3
In reciting the history of the Howlands, deaths are treated matter-of-factly and with little emotion. While the scene of Lorena's death carries little emotion, it is described with great detail. Why is this significant?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)