|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When William comes across a still, the whiskey is aging in ______________.
2. In Abigail's imagination, who stands next to her on the porch in the first Book of Abigail?
3. From what state did William Marshall Howland originally come?
4. Who is passed out in the corner after the groom's breakfast?
5. What does Abigail do immediately before watering?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lorena Adams.
2. What does Aimee Legendre Howland have a craving for, and how does she meet this craving?
3. How is the content of "The Keepers of the House" organized?
4. Why is the November evening so quiet and final?
5. In addition to the month being stated, what other clues about the season is the reader given in the first paragraph?
6. Describe the Howland tomb and its eventual use.
7. What delays William's trip into the swamp to find the Robertson's liquor still?
8. What is the appearance of the front yard in the first section/chapter?
9. What has survived the frost in the first section to Abigail's surprise and how?
10. What is the reaction when William subscribes to the New York Tribune at his daughter's request?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss William's relationship with the townspeople of Madison City in the Book of William.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the effects of the Depression on the Howland family.
Essay Topic 3
In reciting the history of the Howlands, deaths are treated matter-of-factly and with little emotion. While the scene of Lorena's death carries little emotion, it is described with great detail. Why is this significant?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)