Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the first Book of Abigail, who avoids the porch light?
2. When William is called to war, where does he go?
3. In what direction has the sun set at the beginning of "The Keepers of the House"?
4. What does Abigail see in place of the fence?
5. From where did the tomb builder come?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the land that William Marshall Howland claims.
2. Explain the term Freejack.
3. What is the reaction when William subscribes to the New York Tribune at his daughter's request?
4. What message does Abigail want the ladies at the tea to deliver to their husbands?
5. Describe Lorena Adams.
6. Describe the still that William eventually finds.
7. Describe the Howland tomb and its eventual use.
8. What does Abigail remember about the first part of her life?
9. How does Margaret behave after her children leave for boarding school?
10. Describe Somerset County.
At the end of the book, Abigail has taken steps to enact her revenge. She demonstrates that she is the one in power. If she is indeed, in power, then why does the book end with her unraveling into tears?
The time span of this novel is many years. Estimate the time period of each "book" and explain how you came to this conclusion.
In reciting the history of the Howlands, deaths are treated matter-of-factly and with little emotion. While the scene of Lorena's death carries little emotion, it is described with great detail. Why is this significant?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)