|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are Calvin and John Robertson?
2. When William is called to war, where does he go?
3. Who says that William's decision to remain a widower is indecent?
4. When Abigail is being honest with herself, she find herself wishing that ______________was not alive.
5. When William tells his granddaughter, "I used to think she'd glow in the night," to whom is he referring?
Short Essay Questions
1. What memories does Abigail think of after she thinks the owl flies over the river?
2. What is the appearance of the front yard in the first section/chapter?
3. What does the narrator mean when she says that the county will find out about her oldest daughters being sent away because "they always know everything"?
4. What are Abigail's younger children doing as she stands on the porch?
5. Immediately after Lorena's death, what plants does William notice?
6. What caused the "ugly smears" in the sky in October in the first section?
7. What does the narrator say in the first section that indicates that she might be lonely?
8. How is the content of "The Keepers of the House" organized?
9. Describe Abigail, William's daughter, as a child.
10. What does William Howland do for amusement while living in Atlanta?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe what the author means by "keep your heart ticking under the sheltering arches of your ribs."
Essay Topic 2
Has Margaret ever felt love in her life? If so, from whom? How is this love demonstrated? If a child doesn't feel love, what can be the result?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why Margaret defers to Ramona, another servant, by accepting the worst of the bedding and addressing her with "Yes'm."
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)