|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lorena diagnosed with three days after giving birth to a son?
2. Whose shrieking does Abigail miss in the first Book of Abigail?
3. Whom does Abigail envision as saying, "just like a Howland"?
4. What is flying around the porch in the first chapter?
5. Who ran off to a ship at Savannah and disappeared?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the only act of affection between her grandfather and Margaret that Abigail witnesses.
2. Without medical help, one of the children could died from pneumonia. What do the Howlands do?
3. Describe Lorena Adams.
4. What does Abigail remember about Robert as a child?
5. Describe the Howland kitchen.
6. According to Abigail, there are two means of revenge. One is for her, and one is for her grandfather. Describe this revenge.
7. Explain why the townspeople are angry at the grandfather for not bringing his daughter's body home for burial from Santa Fe?
8. Describe Edward Delatte and how Abigail knows him.
9. Why is the November evening so quiet and final?
10. What does the narrator mean when she says that the county will find out about her oldest daughters being sent away because "they always know everything"?
Essay Topic 1
Describe what the author means by "keep your heart ticking under the sheltering arches of your ribs."
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the book, Abigail has taken steps to enact her revenge. She demonstrates that she is the one in power. If she is indeed, in power, then why does the book end with her unraveling into tears?
Essay Topic 3
The Providence River is mentioned three times within the first six pages. Discuss the possible significance of the river in the story.
This section contains 1,329 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)