|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Abigail was a child, who slept in the great tester bed in the south bedroom?
2. What does Abigail see in place of the fence?
3. Where does William's daughter go to college?
4. Who is surrounded by "tiers of flesh"?
5. Who says, "Wind's to the west"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Howland tomb and its eventual use.
2. What is Abigail's reasoning for watering the geraniums so late in the season?
3. Describe the land that William Marshall Howland claims.
4. What does the narrator mean when she says that the county will find out about her oldest daughters being sent away because "they always know everything"?
5. How is the content of "The Keepers of the House" organized?
6. What has survived the frost in the first section to Abigail's surprise and how?
7. What are Abigail's younger children doing as she stands on the porch?
8. Why is the November evening so quiet and final?
9. Describe Abigail, William's daughter, as a child.
10. What memories does Abigail think of after she thinks the owl flies over the river?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify five examples of racial tension in "The Keepers of the House," and analyze them.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss William's excitement at the "game" of finding a still in the swamp. Why would this bring about a change in his behavior?
Essay Topic 3
In the first section of the book, the reader is introduced to Abigail. Although no specifics are given, it's evident that Abigail has been through a lot. Describe Abigail's mood. What in the first section helps you arrive at your conclusions?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)