|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people are among the "parade of figures" that Abigail sees in her mind?
2. From what state did William Marshall Howland originally come?
3. In the first chapter, who built the porch that Abigail stands on?
4. Who is surrounded by "tiers of flesh"?
5. Which one of Margaret's children has Abigail recently seen in the first chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Immediately after Lorena's death, what plants does William notice?
2. What has survived the frost in the first section to Abigail's surprise and how?
3. What is the appearance of the front yard in the first section/chapter?
4. In the first Book of Abigail, what does Abigail remember of being a child in this house?
5. What does Aimee Legendre Howland have a craving for, and how does she meet this craving?
6. Explain the term Freejack.
7. What does William Howland do for amusement while living in Atlanta?
8. What are Abigail's younger children doing as she stands on the porch?
9. Describe the still that William eventually finds.
10. What does the narrator say in the first section that indicates that she might be lonely?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why, in your opinion, that the author jumps from the beginning of William and Margaret's relationship to the fact that "She bore him five children, all told. Three of them lives, two girls and a boy." Why is more of their relationship not shown to the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the effects of the Depression on the Howland family.
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the book, Abigail has taken steps to enact her revenge. She demonstrates that she is the one in power. If she is indeed, in power, then why does the book end with her unraveling into tears?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)