|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does William's daughter go to college?
2. What is trainasse?
3. In the first Book of Abigail, what does Abigail water?
4. Who is Michael Campbell?
5. When William tells his granddaughter, "I used to think she'd glow in the night," to whom is he referring?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Abigail's younger children doing as she stands on the porch?
2. Describe the Howland tomb and its eventual use.
3. Describe Abigail, William's daughter, as a child.
4. What does William Howland do for amusement while living in Atlanta?
5. Immediately after Lorena's death, what plants does William notice?
6. What caused the "ugly smears" in the sky in October in the first section?
7. Describe Lorena Adams.
8. What is the appearance of the front yard in the first section/chapter?
9. What does the narrator say in the first section that indicates that she might be lonely?
10. What is the reaction when William subscribes to the New York Tribune at his daughter's request?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify five examples of racial tension in "The Keepers of the House," and analyze them.
Essay Topic 2
Describe what the author means by "keep your heart ticking under the sheltering arches of your ribs."
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Abigail's relationship with her husband from her perspective. Be certain to discuss how her opinion of him changes.
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)