|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a 'painter' as mentioned in the Book of William?
2. What is William's first step in the adventure of going into the swamp?
3. Who says, "liars' tongues drop off"?
4. To whom does William admit being able to stand for his whole life, so he can manage a little more?
5. Whose shrieking does Abigail miss in the first Book of Abigail?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the term Freejack.
2. What delays William's trip into the swamp to find the Robertson's liquor still?
3. In addition to the month being stated, what other clues about the season is the reader given in the first paragraph?
4. Describe the land that William Marshall Howland claims.
5. What does William Howland do for amusement while living in Atlanta?
6. What memories does Abigail think of after she thinks the owl flies over the river?
7. What does the narrator mean when she says that the county will find out about her oldest daughters being sent away because "they always know everything"?
8. What does Aimee Legendre Howland have a craving for, and how does she meet this craving?
9. Why is the November evening so quiet and final?
10. Describe the Howland tomb and its eventual use.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss William's relationship with the townspeople of Madison City in the Book of William.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Abigail's relationship with her husband from her perspective. Be certain to discuss how her opinion of him changes.
Essay Topic 3
In reciting the history of the Howlands, deaths are treated matter-of-factly and with little emotion. While the scene of Lorena's death carries little emotion, it is described with great detail. Why is this significant?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)