|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is trainasse?
2. Who ran off to a ship at Savannah and disappeared?
3. Which one of Margaret's children has Abigail recently seen in the first chapter?
4. When Abigail is being honest with herself, she find herself wishing that ______________was not alive.
5. What is like "stain on a sponge"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has survived the frost in the first section to Abigail's surprise and how?
2. What does the narrator say in the first section that indicates that she might be lonely?
3. What are Abigail's younger children doing as she stands on the porch?
4. What does the narrator mean when she says that the county will find out about her oldest daughters being sent away because "they always know everything"?
5. Why is the November evening so quiet and final?
6. How does William live his life after the death of his wife and son?
7. What does William Howland do for amusement while living in Atlanta?
8. Immediately after Lorena's death, what plants does William notice?
9. In addition to the month being stated, what other clues about the season is the reader given in the first paragraph?
10. Explain the term Freejack.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Abigail's relationship with her husband from her perspective. Be certain to discuss how her opinion of him changes.
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the first section, Abigail admits that if she were to be honest, she would wish that Robert weren't alive. Discuss this statement. Does this make Abigail evil?
Essay Topic 3
In "The Keepers of the House," there are two Abigail books. One is the shortest book, and the other is the largest. Compare and contrast the purpose of these two books in this novel.
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)