|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "Not being pretty...it worries a girl"?
2. Which one of Margaret's children has Abigail recently seen in the first chapter?
3. What did William bring to eat for his trip into the swamp?
4. Who ran off to a ship at Savannah and disappeared?
5. What does Abigail do immediately before watering?
Short Essay Questions
1. What memories does Abigail think of after she thinks the owl flies over the river?
2. On moving to Madison City, what does Abigail recall being told about her mother.
3. What does Aimee Legendre Howland have a craving for, and how does she meet this craving?
4. What message does Abigail want the ladies at the tea to deliver to their husbands?
5. Describe the typist working for Abigail in the epilogue.
6. Describe Abigail, William's daughter, as a child.
7. Describe the house that Margaret grows up in.
8. What are Abigail's younger children doing as she stands on the porch?
9. What are Margaret's earliest memories?
10. What is the final scene in "The Keepers of the House"?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss William's relationship with the townspeople of Madison City in the Book of William.
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the book, Abigail has taken steps to enact her revenge. She demonstrates that she is the one in power. If she is indeed, in power, then why does the book end with her unraveling into tears?
Essay Topic 3
Describe what the author means by "keep your heart ticking under the sheltering arches of your ribs."
This section contains 1,244 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)