|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says that William's decision to remain a widower is indecent?
2. What river is referred to at the beginning of the book?
3. Who is surrounded by "tiers of flesh"?
4. What is trainasse?
5. Who is Marge?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the first Book of Abigail, what does Abigail remember of being a child in this house?
2. Why is the November evening so quiet and final?
3. Describe the Howland tomb and its eventual use.
4. What has survived the frost in the first section to Abigail's surprise and how?
5. What is Abigail's reasoning for watering the geraniums so late in the season?
6. What are Abigail's younger children doing as she stands on the porch?
7. Immediately after Lorena's death, what plants does William notice?
8. What does the narrator mean when she says that the county will find out about her oldest daughters being sent away because "they always know everything"?
9. What memories does Abigail think of after she thinks the owl flies over the river?
10. How is the content of "The Keepers of the House" organized?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why, in your opinion, that the author jumps from the beginning of William and Margaret's relationship to the fact that "She bore him five children, all told. Three of them lives, two girls and a boy." Why is more of their relationship not shown to the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss William's relationship with the townspeople of Madison City in the Book of William.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Abigail's relationship with her husband from her perspective. Be certain to discuss how her opinion of him changes.
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)