|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Marge?
2. What is the eye color of the last William Howland's eyes?
3. What river is referred to at the beginning of the book?
4. What is squirming "helplessly on the boards" of the porch?
5. In the first Book of Abigail, what does Abigail water?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Aimee Legendre Howland have a craving for, and how does she meet this craving?
2. What are Abigail's younger children doing as she stands on the porch?
3. Describe the land that William Marshall Howland claims.
4. Explain the term Freejack.
5. In addition to the month being stated, what other clues about the season is the reader given in the first paragraph?
6. Describe the Howland tomb and its eventual use.
7. What does the narrator mean when she says that the county will find out about her oldest daughters being sent away because "they always know everything"?
8. Immediately after Lorena's death, what plants does William notice?
9. What does the narrator say in the first section that indicates that she might be lonely?
10. What memories does Abigail think of after she thinks the owl flies over the river?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Abigail knows that John has joined racist societies like the Ku Klux Klan and the Citizen's Council. At first she believes that it's just something he's required to do as a Southern man in power. Since he treats Margaret and Oliver nicely, she believes he isn't prejudiced. Discuss what prejudice is and what it looks like.
Essay Topic 2
The Providence River is mentioned three times within the first six pages. Discuss the possible significance of the river in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss William's relationship with the townspeople of Madison City in the Book of William.
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)