|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose shrieking does Abigail miss in the first Book of Abigail?
2. Who is Marge?
3. What does the owl have for supper in the first Book of Abigail?
4. Where does William's daughter go to college?
5. What is flying around the porch in the first chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Immediately after Lorena's death, what plants does William notice?
2. What has survived the frost in the first section to Abigail's surprise and how?
3. What memories does Abigail think of after she thinks the owl flies over the river?
4. What is the appearance of the front yard in the first section/chapter?
5. What does William Howland do for amusement while living in Atlanta?
6. What does the narrator mean when she says that the county will find out about her oldest daughters being sent away because "they always know everything"?
7. Describe the land that William Marshall Howland claims.
8. What does the narrator say in the first section that indicates that she might be lonely?
9. Describe the Howland tomb and its eventual use.
10. How is the content of "The Keepers of the House" organized?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the purpose of naming a child after a parent, in particular, naming sons after their fathers? When William Marshal Howland has a son, he is named only William Howland with the explanation that "his mother having come from ordinary people with no feeling for their name." Is naming of children tied to class or status?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss William's relationship with the townspeople of Madison City in the Book of William.
Essay Topic 3
Explain why, in your opinion, that the author jumps from the beginning of William and Margaret's relationship to the fact that "She bore him five children, all told. Three of them lives, two girls and a boy." Why is more of their relationship not shown to the reader?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)