|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is likker?
2. How old is William when he thinks that he is old?
3. In the first Book of Abigail, what does Abigail believe she sees over the river?
4. What did William bring to eat for his trip into the swamp?
5. How did William Marshall Howland die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the appearance of the front yard in the first section/chapter?
2. Describe the land that William Marshall Howland claims.
3. How does William live his life after the death of his wife and son?
4. Explain the term Freejack.
5. How is the content of "The Keepers of the House" organized?
6. What does William Howland do for amusement while living in Atlanta?
7. What has survived the frost in the first section to Abigail's surprise and how?
8. What is Abigail's reasoning for watering the geraniums so late in the season?
9. What delays William's trip into the swamp to find the Robertson's liquor still?
10. Describe Lorena Adams.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the first section, Abigail admits that if she were to be honest, she would wish that Robert weren't alive. Discuss this statement. Does this make Abigail evil?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why Margaret defers to Ramona, another servant, by accepting the worst of the bedding and addressing her with "Yes'm."
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the book, Abigail has taken steps to enact her revenge. She demonstrates that she is the one in power. If she is indeed, in power, then why does the book end with her unraveling into tears?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)