|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the first chapter, how long has it been since Abigail has seen one of Margaret's children?
2. From where did the tomb builder come?
3. In the first chapter, who built the porch that Abigail stands on?
4. What does Abigail see when she looks east and north in the first Book of Abigail?
5. What illusion does Abigail have in the first chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What caused the "ugly smears" in the sky in October in the first section?
2. What are Abigail's days like after she and John marry but before he finishes his last year of law school?
3. Describe the land that William Marshall Howland claims.
4. Describe the typist working for Abigail in the epilogue.
5. Why is the November evening so quiet and final?
6. Describe Abigail, William's daughter, as a child.
7. Why does Abigail believe that a Catholic lawyer is perfect for her?
8. How is the content of "The Keepers of the House" organized?
9. According to Abigail's announcement at the tea, what will she be closing? How will the closing affect the town?
10. What does Margaret's first bedroom at the Howland home look like?
Essay Topic 1
In the first section of the book, the reader is introduced to Abigail. Although no specifics are given, it's evident that Abigail has been through a lot. Describe Abigail's mood. What in the first section helps you arrive at your conclusions?
Essay Topic 2
Identify five examples of racial tension in "The Keepers of the House," and analyze them.
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the book, Abigail has taken steps to enact her revenge. She demonstrates that she is the one in power. If she is indeed, in power, then why does the book end with her unraveling into tears?
This section contains 1,278 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)