Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the first Book of Abigail, who avoids the porch light?
2. When William is called to war, where does he go?
3. In what direction has the sun set at the beginning of "The Keepers of the House"?
4. What does Abigail see in place of the fence?
5. From where did the tomb builder come?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the land that William Marshall Howland claims.
2. Explain the term Freejack.
3. What is the reaction when William subscribes to the New York Tribune at his daughter's request?
4. What message does Abigail want the ladies at the tea to deliver to their husbands?
5. Describe Lorena Adams.
6. Describe the still that William eventually finds.
7. Describe the Howland tomb and its eventual use.
8. What does Abigail remember about the first part of her life?
9. How does Margaret behave after her children leave for boarding school?
10. Describe Somerset County.
Essay Topic 1
In reciting the history of the Howlands, deaths are treated matter-of-factly and with little emotion. While the scene of Lorena's death carries little emotion, it is described with great detail. Why is this significant?
Essay Topic 2
Describe what the author means by "keep your heart ticking under the sheltering arches of your ribs."
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the first section, Abigail admits that if she were to be honest, she would wish that Robert weren't alive. Discuss this statement. Does this make Abigail evil?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)