|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From whose viewpoint is the first Book of Abigail written.
2. Who says, "Wind's to the west"?
3. When did the forest fires take place in the Smokies?
4. From what state did William Marshall Howland originally come?
5. Where have the oldest children left to go to school at in the first chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Margaret's first bedroom at the Howland home look like?
2. What are death gifts, and what happens if you touch one?
3. What does Margaret take with her when she moves from New Church to the Howland estate?
4. Describe Abigail, William's daughter, as a child.
5. What is the reaction when William subscribes to the New York Tribune at his daughter's request?
6. Why is the November evening so quiet and final?
7. What is the future gubernatorial candidate's real purpose in calling Abigail?
8. What does the narrator say in the first section that indicates that she might be lonely?
9. What are Abigail's days like after she and John marry but before he finishes his last year of law school?
10. Why does Abigail believe that a Catholic lawyer is perfect for her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss William's relationship with the townspeople of Madison City in the Book of William.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the mood of the writing between the Book of William and the Book of Margaret.
Essay Topic 3
Describe what the author means by "keep your heart ticking under the sheltering arches of your ribs."
This section contains 1,284 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)