|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abigail do immediately before watering?
2. Why are there no pictures of Lorena Adams Howland?
3. In the first chapter, who built the porch that Abigail stands on?
4. Where are the Robertsons rumored to build the latest addition to their business?
5. Who says that William's decision to remain a widower is indecent?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does William live his life after the death of his wife and son?
2. How is the content of "The Keepers of the House" organized?
3. What does William Howland do for amusement while living in Atlanta?
4. What caused the "ugly smears" in the sky in October in the first section?
5. What are Abigail's younger children doing as she stands on the porch?
6. What does Aimee Legendre Howland have a craving for, and how does she meet this craving?
7. Describe the Howland tomb and its eventual use.
8. In the first Book of Abigail, what does Abigail remember of being a child in this house?
9. In addition to the month being stated, what other clues about the season is the reader given in the first paragraph?
10. Why is the November evening so quiet and final?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify five examples of racial tension in "The Keepers of the House," and analyze them.
Essay Topic 2
In reciting the history of the Howlands, deaths are treated matter-of-factly and with little emotion. While the scene of Lorena's death carries little emotion, it is described with great detail. Why is this significant?
Essay Topic 3
In the first section of the book, the reader is introduced to Abigail. Although no specifics are given, it's evident that Abigail has been through a lot. Describe Abigail's mood. What in the first section helps you arrive at your conclusions?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)