|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is passed out in the corner after the groom's breakfast?
2. Where does William's daughter go to college?
3. From where did the tomb builder come?
4. Who says, "Wind's to the west"?
5. Whom does Abigail envision as saying, "just like a Howland"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Aimee Legendre Howland have a craving for, and how does she meet this craving?
2. In addition to the month being stated, what other clues about the season is the reader given in the first paragraph?
3. Describe Abigail, William's daughter, as a child.
4. Describe Lorena Adams.
5. What caused the "ugly smears" in the sky in October in the first section?
6. Why is the November evening so quiet and final?
7. How is the content of "The Keepers of the House" organized?
8. Describe the still that William eventually finds.
9. What memories does Abigail think of after she thinks the owl flies over the river?
10. What has survived the frost in the first section to Abigail's surprise and how?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why, in your opinion, that the author jumps from the beginning of William and Margaret's relationship to the fact that "She bore him five children, all told. Three of them lives, two girls and a boy." Why is more of their relationship not shown to the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Describe what the author means by "keep your heart ticking under the sheltering arches of your ribs."
Essay Topic 3
The Providence River is mentioned three times within the first six pages. Discuss the possible significance of the river in the story.
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)