|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is like "stain on a sponge"?
2. Who says, "Not being pretty...it worries a girl"?
3. What is the river compared to in the first Book of Abigail?
4. What is Lorena diagnosed with three days after giving birth to a son?
5. What attacks William so that he coats his body with muck?
Short Essay Questions
1. Immediately after Lorena's death, what plants does William notice?
2. Describe Lorena Adams.
3. How is the content of "The Keepers of the House" organized?
4. What memories does Abigail think of after she thinks the owl flies over the river?
5. In addition to the month being stated, what other clues about the season is the reader given in the first paragraph?
6. What does William Howland do for amusement while living in Atlanta?
7. What does Aimee Legendre Howland have a craving for, and how does she meet this craving?
8. What does the narrator say in the first section that indicates that she might be lonely?
9. What is the reaction when William subscribes to the New York Tribune at his daughter's request?
10. What delays William's trip into the swamp to find the Robertson's liquor still?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Has Margaret ever felt love in her life? If so, from whom? How is this love demonstrated? If a child doesn't feel love, what can be the result?
Essay Topic 2
Explain why, in your opinion, that the author jumps from the beginning of William and Margaret's relationship to the fact that "She bore him five children, all told. Three of them lives, two girls and a boy." Why is more of their relationship not shown to the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Abigail knows that John has joined racist societies like the Ku Klux Klan and the Citizen's Council. At first she believes that it's just something he's required to do as a Southern man in power. Since he treats Margaret and Oliver nicely, she believes he isn't prejudiced. Discuss what prejudice is and what it looks like.
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)