|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had William hunted as a boy for a quarter for each skin?
2. What mammal does William see at the large freshwater lake in the middle of the swamp?
3. What is like "stain on a sponge"?
4. What does Abigail do immediately before watering?
5. When Abigail was a child, who slept in the great tester bed in the south bedroom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Abigail's younger children doing as she stands on the porch?
2. Immediately after Lorena's death, what plants does William notice?
3. In addition to the month being stated, what other clues about the season is the reader given in the first paragraph?
4. What does Aimee Legendre Howland have a craving for, and how does she meet this craving?
5. Describe the land that William Marshall Howland claims.
6. In the first Book of Abigail, what does Abigail remember of being a child in this house?
7. What is the reaction when William subscribes to the New York Tribune at his daughter's request?
8. What does the narrator say in the first section that indicates that she might be lonely?
9. Why is the November evening so quiet and final?
10. How does William live his life after the death of his wife and son?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why, in your opinion, that the author jumps from the beginning of William and Margaret's relationship to the fact that "She bore him five children, all told. Three of them lives, two girls and a boy." Why is more of their relationship not shown to the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the effects of the Depression on the Howland family.
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the book, Abigail has taken steps to enact her revenge. She demonstrates that she is the one in power. If she is indeed, in power, then why does the book end with her unraveling into tears?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)