|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many bedrooms does Annie count in the Howland home?
2. Who is passed out in the corner after the groom's breakfast?
3. Why doesn't Abigail want to replace the fence?
4. Where does William's daughter go to college?
5. In the first Book of Abigail, what does Abigail water?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Aimee Legendre Howland have a craving for, and how does she meet this craving?
2. Describe the Howland tomb and its eventual use.
3. How does William live his life after the death of his wife and son?
4. What has survived the frost in the first section to Abigail's surprise and how?
5. What are Abigail's younger children doing as she stands on the porch?
6. Describe the still that William eventually finds.
7. What caused the "ugly smears" in the sky in October in the first section?
8. Describe Lorena Adams.
9. In addition to the month being stated, what other clues about the season is the reader given in the first paragraph?
10. What does the narrator say in the first section that indicates that she might be lonely?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify five examples of racial tension in "The Keepers of the House," and analyze them.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the effects of the Depression on the Howland family.
Essay Topic 3
In the first section of the book, the reader is introduced to Abigail. Although no specifics are given, it's evident that Abigail has been through a lot. Describe Abigail's mood. What in the first section helps you arrive at your conclusions?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)