|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are there no pictures of Lorena Adams Howland?
2. Whose shrieking does Abigail miss in the first Book of Abigail?
3. Who has fallen into a weaving of invisible threads at the beginning of the book?
4. Whom does Abigail envision as saying, "just like a Howland"?
5. Who says, "Not being pretty...it worries a girl"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What's the story of Cousin Francine's marriages?
2. Describe Somerset County.
3. How does Margaret know that spring has come in the Book of Margaret?
4. What does the narrator mean when she says that the county will find out about her oldest daughters being sent away because "they always know everything"?
5. What does William Howland do for amusement while living in Atlanta?
6. Describe the only act of affection between her grandfather and Margaret that Abigail witnesses.
7. Immediately after Lorena's death, what plants does William notice?
8. What is the future gubernatorial candidate's real purpose in calling Abigail?
9. Without medical help, one of the children could died from pneumonia. What do the Howlands do?
10. What are death gifts, and what happens if you touch one?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss William's excitement at the "game" of finding a still in the swamp. Why would this bring about a change in his behavior?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss ways that this book may be view as dated. Be certain to address belief systems and attitudes. Is there anything that still rings true today?
Essay Topic 3
Has Margaret ever felt love in her life? If so, from whom? How is this love demonstrated? If a child doesn't feel love, what can be the result?
This section contains 1,284 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)