Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the first Book of Abigail, who avoids the porch light?
2. When William is called to war, where does he go?
3. In what direction has the sun set at the beginning of "The Keepers of the House"?
4. What does Abigail see in place of the fence?
5. From where did the tomb builder come?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the land that William Marshall Howland claims.
2. Explain the term Freejack.
3. What is the reaction when William subscribes to the New York Tribune at his daughter's request?
4. What message does Abigail want the ladies at the tea to deliver to their husbands?
5. Describe Lorena Adams.
6. Describe the still that William eventually finds.
7. Describe the Howland tomb and its eventual use.
8. What does Abigail remember about the first part of her life?
9. How does Margaret behave after her children leave for boarding school?
10. Describe Somerset County.
Essay Topic 1
Describe the effects of the Depression on the Howland family.
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the book, Abigail has taken steps to enact her revenge. She demonstrates that she is the one in power. If she is indeed, in power, then why does the book end with her unraveling into tears?
Essay Topic 3
In "The Keepers of the House," there are two Abigail books. One is the shortest book, and the other is the largest. Compare and contrast the purpose of these two books in this novel.
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)