Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the first Book of Abigail, who avoids the porch light?
2. When William is called to war, where does he go?
3. In what direction has the sun set at the beginning of "The Keepers of the House"?
4. What does Abigail see in place of the fence?
5. From where did the tomb builder come?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the land that William Marshall Howland claims.
2. Explain the term Freejack.
3. What is the reaction when William subscribes to the New York Tribune at his daughter's request?
4. What message does Abigail want the ladies at the tea to deliver to their husbands?
5. Describe Lorena Adams.
6. Describe the still that William eventually finds.
7. Describe the Howland tomb and its eventual use.
8. What does Abigail remember about the first part of her life?
9. How does Margaret behave after her children leave for boarding school?
10. Describe Somerset County.
Essay Topic 1
In the first section of the book, the reader is introduced to Abigail. Although no specifics are given, it's evident that Abigail has been through a lot. Describe Abigail's mood. What in the first section helps you arrive at your conclusions?
Essay Topic 2
Explain why, in your opinion, that the author jumps from the beginning of William and Margaret's relationship to the fact that "She bore him five children, all told. Three of them lives, two girls and a boy." Why is more of their relationship not shown to the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Has Margaret ever felt love in her life? If so, from whom? How is this love demonstrated? If a child doesn't feel love, what can be the result?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)