|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color is the swamp azalea in this book?
(a) Red and yellow.
(b) Pink and red.
(c) White and purple.
(d) Pink and white.
2. As a girl, where does Margaret go on winter mornings?
(a) By the stove.
(b) Hollow tree trunk.
(d) Stays in bed.
3. Where did William find a mouse nest?
(a) In the fireplace.
(b) On the top bookshelf.
(c) In a china tureen at the top of a closet.
(d) In the kitchen pantry.
4. What did Margaret's family once turned into beads?
(b) River mud.
(c) Mussel and clamshells.
(d) Shells from nuts.
5. What does Margaret do with the fruit she finds in the woods around the Howland home?
(a) Feeds it to the hogs.
(b) Eats it.
(c) Makes pies with it.
(d) Turns it into preserves.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Margaret when she learns the story of her father?
2. Where do John and Abigail go for their first date?
3. What do people clean muddy shoes on at the Howland home?
4. What does William find on his back porch that he thinks looks "right pretty"?
5. What career does Robert have, and where is his first job?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the only act of affection between her grandfather and Margaret that Abigail witnesses.
2. What does Margaret take with her when she moves from New Church to the Howland estate?
3. What does Abigail remember about Robert as a child?
4. Why does it take so long for John to contact Abigail and ask her out for a second date. Describe their dates.
5. What's the story of Cousin Francine's marriages?
6. What is the story of the hoop snake?
7. Describe the house that Margaret grows up in.
8. Describe the Howland kitchen.
9. How did Margaret's parents meet?
10. What are Abigail's days like after she and John marry but before he finishes his last year of law school?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)