|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Abigail referring to when she says, "He was as courtly as a planter out of a novel"?
(a) The governor.
(c) President of the university.
(d) John Tolliver.
2. Where is John stationed during the Korean war?
(a) New Orleans.
(d) Washington, D.C.
3. How old was Margaret when her mother left for good?
4. Why does Abigail cry after the birth of her second child?
(a) She can't get to the hospital.
(b) She is in so much pain.
(c) She doesn't have a son.
(d) She doesn't know where her husband is.
5. What is another name for Somerset County?
(a) Plantation Country.
(b) Tolliver Nation.
(c) Cotton County.
(d) Robbers' Nation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What rolls down the road when the moon is small, according to Margaret?
2. Who leaves for boarding school the autumn after William's daughter dies?
3. What sound do the branches of the bluish white hickory tree make?
4. In February, John calls Abigail to ask her out. On their date, a jukebox is playing. What is the first song they heard from it?
5. Where does Abigail go on vacation after graduating from high school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Abigail remember about the first part of her life?
2. On moving to Madison City, what does Abigail recall being told about her mother.
3. What does Margaret take with her when she moves from New Church to the Howland estate?
4. Describe how Margaret's family spend their time when the floods require that they move out of their home for three to four weeks.
5. What is the story of the hoop snake?
6. What are Abigail's days like after she and John marry but before he finishes his last year of law school?
7. Describe Somerset County.
8. What does Abigail remember about Robert as a child?
9. Describe the only act of affection between her grandfather and Margaret that Abigail witnesses.
10. What does Margaret's first bedroom at the Howland home look like?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)