|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Abigail's mother do with letters that arrive from her husband?
(a) Reads them.
(b) Cries over them.
(c) Rips them in half.
(d) Throws them into the fire.
2. How does William honor his daughter after death in Wade County?
(a) A memorial at the church.
(b) Gives a stained glass window to the Methodist church.
(c) A memorial dinner at the house.
(d) He builds a new church building.
3. What does Margaret eat from the streams?
(b) Wild watercress.
4. What is another name for Somerset County?
(a) Tolliver Nation.
(b) Plantation Country.
(c) Robbers' Nation.
(d) Cotton County.
5. Where is Margaret when she first sees the spirit of her great-grandmother?
(a) On an island in the swamp.
(b) By her cousin's mule.
(c) On the porch.
(d) By her tomato plants.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Robert Stokes?
2. According to Margaret's mother, what is hippin?
3. In February, John calls Abigail to ask her out. On their date, a jukebox is playing. What is the first song they heard from it?
4. Who says, "It's hot and I'm miseried"?
5. What is the last name of the cousins that Abigail goes on an outing with once or twice a month?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Margaret's family spend their time when the floods require that they move out of their home for three to four weeks.
2. What are death gifts, and what happens if you touch one?
3. What does Margaret take with her when she moves from New Church to the Howland estate?
4. Describe the house that Margaret grows up in.
5. On moving to Madison City, what does Abigail recall being told about her mother.
6. How does Margaret behave after her children leave for boarding school?
7. What does Margaret find in the Howland woods that she brings back to the house?
8. What does Abigail remember about the first part of her life?
9. Describe the Howland kitchen.
10. What are Margaret's earliest memories?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)