|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the last name of the cousins that Abigail goes on an outing with once or twice a month?
2. Where does Margaret see her grandmother's spirit immediately after the funeral?
(a) A grove of trees.
3. When does Abigail tell her grandfather that she's getting married?
(a) One weekend in March.
(b) During the Easter holiday.
(c) After the spring semester.
(d) Immediately before spring finals.
4. What realization does Margaret come to after the move to higher ground during the spring floods?
(a) This is her last year to make this move.
(b) She should move North.
(c) She should go find her mother.
(d) It is time to have a child.
5. What rolls down the road when the moon is small, according to Margaret?
(b) Hoop snake.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the Korean War, where does John set up his practice?
2. What do people clean muddy shoes on at the Howland home?
3. Oliver lived with his sister by a big spring. What was the name of the spring?
4. In February, John calls Abigail to ask her out. On their date, a jukebox is playing. What is the first song they heard from it?
5. With whom does Abigail drive off after her near drowning?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Margaret's parents meet?
2. Describe the Howland kitchen.
3. What are death gifts, and what happens if you touch one?
4. What are Margaret's earliest memories?
5. On moving to Madison City, what does Abigail recall being told about her mother.
6. How long does the great-grandmother's funeral last?
7. What are Abigail's days like after she and John marry but before he finishes his last year of law school?
8. Without medical help, one of the children could died from pneumonia. What do the Howlands do?
9. What does Margaret find in the Howland woods that she brings back to the house?
10. What is the story of the hoop snake?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)