|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Abigail away from home for almost a year?
(a) A flood takes away the home, which has to be rebuilt.
(b) Her grandfather and Margaret take Abigail's mother to a tuberculosis sanitarium.
(c) Hiding her from her father.
(d) Margaret is mourning due to two miscarriages.
2. Who says, "It's hot and I'm miseried"?
(b) Cousin Kate.
(c) Aunt Mary.
(d) Abner Carmichael.
3. Two African American children, six and seven years old, arrived at the Howland kitchen door on Sunday afternoon. What did everyone call these children?
4. What name did the Howland place once go by that an ancestor tried unsuccessfully to bring back?
5. What did Margaret's family once turned into beads?
(a) Mussel and clamshells.
(b) River mud.
(d) Shells from nuts.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is John stationed during the Korean war?
2. With whom does Ramona live?
3. Where does Margaret see her grandmother's spirit immediately after the funeral?
4. Three books are mentioned that Abigail receives for agreeing to pretend to be the sick child. They are The Swiss Family Robinson, Kidnapped, and ________________.
5. Why is Abigail expelled from college?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Somerset County.
2. Describe the Howland kitchen.
3. What are Margaret's earliest memories?
4. What is the story of the hoop snake?
5. What does Margaret's first bedroom at the Howland home look like?
6. What does Abigail remember about family vacations?
7. How does Margaret know that spring has come in the Book of Margaret?
8. How did Margaret's parents meet?
9. How long does the great-grandmother's funeral last?
10. On moving to Madison City, what does Abigail recall being told about her mother.
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)