|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What rolls down the road when the moon is small, according to Margaret?
(c) Hoop snake.
2. How does William honor his daughter after death in Wade County?
(a) A memorial dinner at the house.
(b) A memorial at the church.
(c) Gives a stained glass window to the Methodist church.
(d) He builds a new church building.
3. Where is Margaret when she first sees the spirit of her great-grandmother?
(a) On the porch.
(b) By her cousin's mule.
(c) On an island in the swamp.
(d) By her tomato plants.
4. According to Margaret's mother, what is hippin?
(a) Carrying babies on your hip.
(b) Sagging diaper.
(c) Acting arrogant.
(d) Talking in dialect.
5. In what month do Abigail and John marry?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Margaret wash the clothes?
2. Who tells Abigail that she's not "beholden" to the Howland home?
3. Why does Abigail cry after the birth of her second child?
4. What did Margaret's family once turned into beads?
5. As a girl, where does Margaret go on winter mornings?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Somerset County.
2. Describe the Howland kitchen.
3. Describe how Margaret's family spend their time when the floods require that they move out of their home for three to four weeks.
4. What are Margaret's earliest memories?
5. What are death gifts, and what happens if you touch one?
6. What does Margaret find in the Howland woods that she brings back to the house?
7. What does Margaret's first bedroom at the Howland home look like?
8. What are Abigail's days like after she and John marry but before he finishes his last year of law school?
9. Describe the house that Margaret grows up in.
10. How long does the great-grandmother's funeral last?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)