|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color is the swamp azalea in this book?
(a) Red and yellow.
(b) Pink and white.
(c) Pink and red.
(d) White and purple.
2. What name did the Howland place once go by that an ancestor tried unsuccessfully to bring back?
3. After the Korean War, where does John set up his practice?
(b) Madison City.
(c) Washington, D.C.
(d) New Orleans.
4. Who catches pneumonia after having the chicken pox and almost dies?
5. Who did Abigail's father quote after the World War II started in 1939?
(a) Winston Churchill.
(b) Percy Shelley.
(c) Franklin D. Roosevelt.
(d) Rupert Brooks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose job is it to water the garden in Margaret's family?
2. According to Margaret's mother, what is hippin?
3. What realization does Margaret come to after the move to higher ground during the spring floods?
4. As a girl, where does Margaret go on winter mornings?
5. What is the last name of the cousins that Abigail goes on an outing with once or twice a month?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Margaret's family spend their time when the floods require that they move out of their home for three to four weeks.
2. What are Margaret's earliest memories?
3. What does Margaret's first bedroom at the Howland home look like?
4. On moving to Madison City, what does Abigail recall being told about her mother.
5. What are Abigail's days like after she and John marry but before he finishes his last year of law school?
6. Describe Somerset County.
7. How does Margaret behave after her children leave for boarding school?
8. What does Margaret take with her when she moves from New Church to the Howland estate?
9. Describe the house that Margaret grows up in.
10. How long does the great-grandmother's funeral last?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)