|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the first Book of Abigail, who avoids the porch light?
(c) A screech owl.
(d) The cat.
2. Who is passed out in the corner after the groom's breakfast?
(a) Howland Campbell.
(b) Mr. Bannister.
(c) Gregory Mason.
(d) Harry Armstrong.
3. Who are Calvin and John Robertson?
(a) Farmhands who work at the Howland estate.
(b) Moonshiners in Wade County.
(c) Cousins of the Howlands.
(d) Brothers who run the Washington Hotel in town.
4. Who says that William's decision to remain a widower is indecent?
(a) Annie, his sister.
(b) Lucy Whittemore.
(c) Abigail, his daughter.
(d) Mariah Peters.
5. Who says, "liars' tongues drop off"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is quiet and still and dry in the first chapter?
2. When Abigail is being honest with herself, she find herself wishing that ______________was not alive.
3. When William is called to war, where does he go?
4. What do people call "the bones of the earth," according to the author?
5. What poetry does the elder Abigail enjoy reading out loud before she leaves for college?
Short Essay Questions
1. What memories does Abigail think of after she thinks the owl flies over the river?
2. What is the appearance of the front yard in the first section/chapter?
3. Explain the term Freejack.
4. Describe the land that William Marshall Howland claims.
5. What delays William's trip into the swamp to find the Robertson's liquor still?
6. Describe the Howland tomb and its eventual use.
7. Immediately after Lorena's death, what plants does William notice?
8. What are Abigail's younger children doing as she stands on the porch?
9. What is the reaction when William subscribes to the New York Tribune at his daughter's request?
10. What is Abigail's reasoning for watering the geraniums so late in the season?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)