|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says that William's decision to remain a widower is indecent?
(a) Mariah Peters.
(b) Lucy Whittemore.
(c) Abigail, his daughter.
(d) Annie, his sister.
2. What is quiet and still and dry in the first chapter?
(a) The river.
(b) The Howland estate.
(c) November evenings.
(d) The trees.
3. Where does William's daughter go to college?
(a) Mary Baldwin in Virginia.
(b) Agnes Scott College in Georgia.
(c) University of Montevallo in Alabama.
(d) H. Sophie Newcomb Memorial College in Louisiana.
4. Why are there no pictures of Lorena Adams Howland?
(a) Lorena refused to allow her picture to be taken.
(b) They burned in a house fire.
(c) William burned them one afternoon.
(d) They were lost over the years.
5. What do people call "the bones of the earth," according to the author?
(a) A dry pond.
(b) A rock outcropping in a valley.
(c) The trees of winter.
(d) The granite outcroppings in winter fields.
Short Answer Questions
1. What illusion does Abigail have in the first chapter?
2. What is William's first step in the adventure of going into the swamp?
3. What poetry does the elder Abigail enjoy reading out loud before she leaves for college?
4. What is the eye color of the last William Howland's eyes?
5. In what direction has the sun set at the beginning of "The Keepers of the House"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the November evening so quiet and final?
2. What has survived the frost in the first section to Abigail's surprise and how?
3. What are Abigail's younger children doing as she stands on the porch?
4. What does the narrator mean when she says that the county will find out about her oldest daughters being sent away because "they always know everything"?
5. What memories does Abigail think of after she thinks the owl flies over the river?
6. What does the narrator say in the first section that indicates that she might be lonely?
7. How does William live his life after the death of his wife and son?
8. What is the reaction when William subscribes to the New York Tribune at his daughter's request?
9. Describe the still that William eventually finds.
10. Immediately after Lorena's death, what plants does William notice?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)