|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What mammal does William see at the large freshwater lake in the middle of the swamp?
(d) Black panther.
2. When William comes across a still, the whiskey is aging in ______________.
(a) Copper pot.
(b) Pine barrel.
(c) Cedar kegs.
(d) Oak kegs.
3. What do people call "the bones of the earth," according to the author?
(a) A rock outcropping in a valley.
(b) The granite outcroppings in winter fields.
(c) A dry pond.
(d) The trees of winter.
4. Who says, "Not being pretty...it worries a girl"?
(c) The younger Abigail.
(d) The older Abigail.
5. To whom does William admit being able to stand for his whole life, so he can manage a little more?
(c) Rufus Matthews.
(d) Calvin Robertson.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has fallen into a weaving of invisible threads at the beginning of the book?
2. What is likker?
3. From where did the tomb builder come?
4. When Abigail is being honest with herself, she find herself wishing that ______________was not alive.
5. What attacks William so that he coats his body with muck?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the November evening so quiet and final?
2. Describe Lorena Adams.
3. What delays William's trip into the swamp to find the Robertson's liquor still?
4. Describe the still that William eventually finds.
5. Describe the Howland tomb and its eventual use.
6. How is the content of "The Keepers of the House" organized?
7. What is Abigail's reasoning for watering the geraniums so late in the season?
8. What does William Howland do for amusement while living in Atlanta?
9. In addition to the month being stated, what other clues about the season is the reader given in the first paragraph?
10. Immediately after Lorena's death, what plants does William notice?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)