|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do people call "the bones of the earth," according to the author?
(a) A rock outcropping in a valley.
(b) A dry pond.
(c) The trees of winter.
(d) The granite outcroppings in winter fields.
2. What is flying around the porch in the first chapter?
3. How did William Marshall Howland die?
(b) Murdered by five Indians.
(d) Killed in the Civil War.
4. What looks like a choppy sea to Abigail?
(a) The water inside the watering tin.
(b) The porch.
(c) The river.
(d) The front yard.
5. Where have the oldest children left to go to school at in the first chapter?
(d) New Orleans.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Abigail's imagination, who stands next to her on the porch in the first Book of Abigail?
2. What is a 'painter' as mentioned in the Book of William?
3. Who says that William's decision to remain a widower is indecent?
4. What does Abigail do immediately before watering?
5. What illusion does Abigail have in the first chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the November evening so quiet and final?
2. Explain the term Freejack.
3. What is the reaction when William subscribes to the New York Tribune at his daughter's request?
4. What does Aimee Legendre Howland have a craving for, and how does she meet this craving?
5. What caused the "ugly smears" in the sky in October in the first section?
6. What does the narrator mean when she says that the county will find out about her oldest daughters being sent away because "they always know everything"?
7. What memories does Abigail think of after she thinks the owl flies over the river?
8. Describe the Howland tomb and its eventual use.
9. Describe the land that William Marshall Howland claims.
10. How is the content of "The Keepers of the House" organized?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)