|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the first chapter, how long has it been since Abigail has seen one of Margaret's children?
(a) Five years.
(b) A year.
(c) A month.
(d) Three months.
2. When did the forest fires take place in the Smokies?
3. Who says that William's decision to remain a widower is indecent?
(a) Annie, his sister.
(b) Abigail, his daughter.
(c) Lucy Whittemore.
(d) Mariah Peters.
4. How many people are among the "parade of figures" that Abigail sees in her mind?
5. Who are Calvin and John Robertson?
(a) Cousins of the Howlands.
(b) Brothers who run the Washington Hotel in town.
(c) Moonshiners in Wade County.
(d) Farmhands who work at the Howland estate.
Short Answer Questions
1. What attacks William so that he coats his body with muck?
2. Who is passed out in the corner after the groom's breakfast?
3. Who has fallen into a weaving of invisible threads at the beginning of the book?
4. Who says, "Wind's to the west"?
5. What river is referred to at the beginning of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the land that William Marshall Howland claims.
2. What caused the "ugly smears" in the sky in October in the first section?
3. What does the narrator mean when she says that the county will find out about her oldest daughters being sent away because "they always know everything"?
4. Describe Abigail, William's daughter, as a child.
5. Describe Lorena Adams.
6. What has survived the frost in the first section to Abigail's surprise and how?
7. Immediately after Lorena's death, what plants does William notice?
8. What is the reaction when William subscribes to the New York Tribune at his daughter's request?
9. What does William Howland do for amusement while living in Atlanta?
10. Explain the term Freejack.
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)