|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Abner Carmichael live?
(a) In a houseboat in Mobile.
(b) In a floating house in New Church.
(c) In the biggest brick house in New Church.
(d) In a shack in the middle of the swamp.
2. In the first Book of Abigail, what does Abigail believe she sees over the river?
(a) A person.
(b) An owl.
(c) A huge fish.
(d) A thick mist.
3. Whom does Abigail envision as saying, "just like a Howland"?
(a) The servants.
(b) Margaret's children.
(c) The county.
(d) Her ex-husband's family.
4. What is squirming "helplessly on the boards" of the porch?
(a) A mouse.
(c) A bird with a broken wing.
5. What is likker?
(a) A medicinal plant.
(b) Alcohol made in stills in the South.
(c) A type of hunting dog.
(d) A species of cotton.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had William hunted as a boy for a quarter for each skin?
2. What does Abigail see in place of the fence?
3. In the first Book of Abigail, what month is it?
4. Where does William's daughter go to college?
5. What poetry does the elder Abigail enjoy reading out loud before she leaves for college?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does William live his life after the death of his wife and son?
2. What is the reaction when William subscribes to the New York Tribune at his daughter's request?
3. What is the appearance of the front yard in the first section/chapter?
4. What does the narrator mean when she says that the county will find out about her oldest daughters being sent away because "they always know everything"?
5. Explain the term Freejack.
6. What memories does Abigail think of after she thinks the owl flies over the river?
7. What does the narrator say in the first section that indicates that she might be lonely?
8. How is the content of "The Keepers of the House" organized?
9. What are Abigail's younger children doing as she stands on the porch?
10. Why is the November evening so quiet and final?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)