|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is best man at Abigail's wedding to Gregory Mason?
(a) Howland Campbell.
(b) Calvin Robertson.
(c) Rufus Matthews.
(d) Harry Armstrong.
2. Where are the Robertsons rumored to build the latest addition to their business?
(a) Honey Island Swamp.
(b) Madison City.
(c) Across Providence River.
(d) Near New Church.
3. How does Abigail see Margaret's son carrying himself?
(a) As an old man.
(b) As if in fear.
(c) As if he owns the world.
(d) As the young boy she grew up with.
4. Who has fallen into a weaving of invisible threads at the beginning of the book?
5. What looks like a choppy sea to Abigail?
(a) The front yard.
(b) The river.
(c) The porch.
(d) The water inside the watering tin.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does William admit being able to stand for his whole life, so he can manage a little more?
2. What is quiet and still and dry in the first chapter?
3. Whose shrieking does Abigail miss in the first Book of Abigail?
4. How did William Marshall Howland die?
5. What is Lorena diagnosed with three days after giving birth to a son?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reaction when William subscribes to the New York Tribune at his daughter's request?
2. What does the narrator say in the first section that indicates that she might be lonely?
3. What delays William's trip into the swamp to find the Robertson's liquor still?
4. What are Abigail's younger children doing as she stands on the porch?
5. What has survived the frost in the first section to Abigail's surprise and how?
6. Describe Abigail, William's daughter, as a child.
7. What does the narrator mean when she says that the county will find out about her oldest daughters being sent away because "they always know everything"?
8. What is Abigail's reasoning for watering the geraniums so late in the season?
9. What does Aimee Legendre Howland have a craving for, and how does she meet this craving?
10. What does William Howland do for amusement while living in Atlanta?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)