|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is quiet and still and dry in the first chapter?
(a) The trees.
(b) The river.
(c) The Howland estate.
(d) November evenings.
2. How many people are among the "parade of figures" that Abigail sees in her mind?
3. How many bedrooms does Annie count in the Howland home?
4. To whom does William admit being able to stand for his whole life, so he can manage a little more?
(a) Calvin Robertson.
(b) Rufus Matthews.
5. What mammal does William see at the large freshwater lake in the middle of the swamp?
(d) Black panther.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is passed out in the corner after the groom's breakfast?
2. When William comes across a still, the whiskey is aging in ______________.
3. Where have the oldest children left to go to school at in the first chapter?
4. What attacks William so that he coats his body with muck?
5. What do people call "the bones of the earth," according to the author?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Abigail's days like after she and John marry but before he finishes his last year of law school?
2. What does Abigail remember about family vacations?
3. What is the appearance of the front yard in the first section/chapter?
4. On moving to Madison City, what does Abigail recall being told about her mother.
5. Describe the Howland kitchen.
6. Describe the still that William eventually finds.
7. Why does Abigail persist in finding out all the details about the estate from her lawyer?
8. How does Margaret know that spring has come in the Book of Margaret?
9. Describe Edward Delatte and how Abigail knows him.
10. Describe Abigail, William's daughter, as a child.
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)