|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose shrieking does Abigail miss in the first Book of Abigail?
(a) Her children.
(b) The townspeople.
(c) Her ex-husband.
(d) Two whipporwills.
2. In the first Book of Abigail, what does Abigail believe she sees over the river?
(a) A person.
(b) A thick mist.
(c) A huge fish.
(d) An owl.
3. What poetry does the elder Abigail enjoy reading out loud before she leaves for college?
4. What is quiet and still and dry in the first chapter?
(a) The Howland estate.
(b) November evenings.
(c) The trees.
(d) The river.
5. What is likker?
(a) A type of hunting dog.
(b) A species of cotton.
(c) Alcohol made in stills in the South.
(d) A medicinal plant.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Abigail see Margaret's son carrying himself?
2. What is like "stain on a sponge"?
3. What is Lorena diagnosed with three days after giving birth to a son?
4. What had William hunted as a boy for a quarter for each skin?
5. What does the owl have for supper in the first Book of Abigail?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lorena Adams.
2. Describe the Howland tomb and its eventual use.
3. Explain the term Freejack.
4. What has survived the frost in the first section to Abigail's surprise and how?
5. Describe the still that William eventually finds.
6. Describe the land that William Marshall Howland claims.
7. What is the reaction when William subscribes to the New York Tribune at his daughter's request?
8. What does William Howland do for amusement while living in Atlanta?
9. Why is the November evening so quiet and final?
10. How does William live his life after the death of his wife and son?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)