|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When William tells his granddaughter, "I used to think she'd glow in the night," to whom is he referring?
(a) His daughter, Abigail.
(c) His mother.
2. In the first chapter, who built the porch that Abigail stands on?
(a) Her great-great-great grandfather.
(b) Her great-great grandfather.
(c) Her great-grandfather.
(d) Her great-great-great-great-grandfather.
3. Who is Marge?
(a) Abigail's oldest child.
(b) William's middle child.
(c) Abigail's youngest child.
(d) William's wife.
4. In Abigail's imagination, who stands next to her on the porch in the first Book of Abigail?
5. Where does Abner Carmichael live?
(a) In a houseboat in Mobile.
(b) In a shack in the middle of the swamp.
(c) In a floating house in New Church.
(d) In the biggest brick house in New Church.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says that William's decision to remain a widower is indecent?
2. Who ran off to a ship at Savannah and disappeared?
3. At the time of Abigail's wedding to Gregory Mason, how long has Oliver worked for William and in what capacity?
4. Where are the Robertsons rumored to build the latest addition to their business?
5. How old is William when he thinks that he is old?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the still that William eventually finds.
2. What does Aimee Legendre Howland have a craving for, and how does she meet this craving?
3. Explain the term Freejack.
4. In the first Book of Abigail, what does Abigail remember of being a child in this house?
5. What caused the "ugly smears" in the sky in October in the first section?
6. What is the reaction when William subscribes to the New York Tribune at his daughter's request?
7. What does the narrator say in the first section that indicates that she might be lonely?
8. How is the content of "The Keepers of the House" organized?
9. What does the narrator mean when she says that the county will find out about her oldest daughters being sent away because "they always know everything"?
10. What memories does Abigail think of after she thinks the owl flies over the river?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)