|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What had William hunted as a boy for a quarter for each skin?
2. What is quiet and still and dry in the first chapter?
(a) The trees.
(b) The Howland estate.
(c) The river.
(d) November evenings.
3. What did William give his daughter as a homecoming surprise after her first year of college?
(a) A trip to Europe.
(b) A book of poetry.
(c) A gazebo.
(d) A horse.
4. When William tells his granddaughter, "I used to think she'd glow in the night," to whom is he referring?
(b) His mother.
(c) His daughter, Abigail.
5. Whom does Abigail envision as saying, "just like a Howland"?
(a) Margaret's children.
(b) Her ex-husband's family.
(c) The county.
(d) The servants.
Short Answer Questions
1. When William comes across a still, the whiskey is aging in ______________.
2. How did William Marshall Howland die?
3. What is Abigail's son's name?
4. When Abigail was a child, who slept in the great tester bed in the south bedroom?
5. Who ran off to a ship at Savannah and disappeared?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the term Freejack.
2. Why is the November evening so quiet and final?
3. What does the narrator mean when she says that the county will find out about her oldest daughters being sent away because "they always know everything"?
4. In the first Book of Abigail, what does Abigail remember of being a child in this house?
5. What has survived the frost in the first section to Abigail's surprise and how?
6. What is the appearance of the front yard in the first section/chapter?
7. Describe the land that William Marshall Howland claims.
8. What memories does Abigail think of after she thinks the owl flies over the river?
9. Describe Lorena Adams.
10. How is the content of "The Keepers of the House" organized?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)