|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the first chapter, how long has it been since Abigail has seen one of Margaret's children?
(a) A year.
(b) Five years.
(c) A month.
(d) Three months.
2. From what state did William Marshall Howland originally come?
3. Whom does Abigail envision as saying, "just like a Howland"?
(a) Her ex-husband's family.
(b) The county.
(c) The servants.
(d) Margaret's children.
4. In the first Book of Abigail, who avoids the porch light?
(b) The cat.
(d) A screech owl.
5. When Abigail was a child, who slept in the great tester bed in the south bedroom?
(a) Her grandfather.
(b) Her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the first Book of Abigail, what does Abigail believe she sees over the river?
2. What is like "stain on a sponge"?
3. When William is called to war, where does he go?
4. What is Lorena diagnosed with three days after giving birth to a son?
5. How does Abigail see Margaret's son carrying himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. Immediately after Lorena's death, what plants does William notice?
2. Describe Abigail, William's daughter, as a child.
3. In addition to the month being stated, what other clues about the season is the reader given in the first paragraph?
4. What is the reaction when William subscribes to the New York Tribune at his daughter's request?
5. What is the appearance of the front yard in the first section/chapter?
6. Describe the still that William eventually finds.
7. What are Abigail's younger children doing as she stands on the porch?
8. Explain the term Freejack.
9. What does William Howland do for amusement while living in Atlanta?
10. What is Abigail's reasoning for watering the geraniums so late in the season?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)