|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What river is referred to at the beginning of the book?
(a) The Mississippi.
(b) Natchez River.
(c) Providence River.
(d) Canadian River.
2. Who ran off to a ship at Savannah and disappeared?
(a) An earlier William Howland.
(b) Lorena's brother.
(c) William's nephew.
(d) The landlady's husband.
3. Where are the Robertsons rumored to build the latest addition to their business?
(a) Honey Island Swamp.
(b) Near New Church.
(c) Madison City.
(d) Across Providence River.
4. What does Abigail do immediately before watering?
(a) Tells the children to wash for dinner.
(c) Turns on the porch light.
(d) Puts on a sweater.
5. What had William hunted as a boy for a quarter for each skin?
Short Answer Questions
1. When William comes across a still, the whiskey is aging in ______________.
2. What does the owl have for supper in the first Book of Abigail?
3. Who is surrounded by "tiers of flesh"?
4. What mammal does William see at the large freshwater lake in the middle of the swamp?
5. At the time of Abigail's wedding to Gregory Mason, how long has Oliver worked for William and in what capacity?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Howland tomb and its eventual use.
2. What does William Howland do for amusement while living in Atlanta?
3. How does William live his life after the death of his wife and son?
4. What does Aimee Legendre Howland have a craving for, and how does she meet this craving?
5. What delays William's trip into the swamp to find the Robertson's liquor still?
6. What has survived the frost in the first section to Abigail's surprise and how?
7. In the first Book of Abigail, what does Abigail remember of being a child in this house?
8. How is the content of "The Keepers of the House" organized?
9. What is the reaction when William subscribes to the New York Tribune at his daughter's request?
10. What is Abigail's reasoning for watering the geraniums so late in the season?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)