|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a 'painter' as mentioned in the Book of William?
(a) An artist.
(b) A bobcat.
(c) Someone who paints barns.
(d) A type of slave.
2. Where have the oldest children left to go to school at in the first chapter?
(c) New Orleans.
3. When Abigail is being honest with herself, she find herself wishing that ______________was not alive.
(d) John, her husband.
4. Why are there no pictures of Lorena Adams Howland?
(a) Lorena refused to allow her picture to be taken.
(b) William burned them one afternoon.
(c) They were lost over the years.
(d) They burned in a house fire.
5. When did the forest fires take place in the Smokies?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Abigail's imagination, who stands next to her on the porch in the first Book of Abigail?
2. In the first Book of Abigail, what does Abigail water?
3. Where does Abner Carmichael live?
4. What is squirming "helplessly on the boards" of the porch?
5. How does Abigail see Margaret's son carrying himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator say in the first section that indicates that she might be lonely?
2. How is the content of "The Keepers of the House" organized?
3. Immediately after Lorena's death, what plants does William notice?
4. What does Aimee Legendre Howland have a craving for, and how does she meet this craving?
5. Describe Lorena Adams.
6. In the first Book of Abigail, what does Abigail remember of being a child in this house?
7. What has survived the frost in the first section to Abigail's surprise and how?
8. Explain the term Freejack.
9. Describe the still that William eventually finds.
10. What does the narrator mean when she says that the county will find out about her oldest daughters being sent away because "they always know everything"?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)