|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the river compared to in the first Book of Abigail?
(a) A dried up stream.
(b) A black pit of nothingness.
(c) A roaring lion.
(d) An old mirror.
2. Who is Michael Campbell?
(a) The Madison City postmaster.
(b) William's cousin who is a doctor.
(c) William's brother-in-law.
(d) William's cousin who is a lawyer.
3. Who is best man at Abigail's wedding to Gregory Mason?
(a) Calvin Robertson.
(b) Howland Campbell.
(c) Rufus Matthews.
(d) Harry Armstrong.
4. What is Abigail's son's name?
5. Who ran off to a ship at Savannah and disappeared?
(a) An earlier William Howland.
(b) William's nephew.
(c) The landlady's husband.
(d) Lorena's brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what state did William Marshall Howland originally come?
2. When did the forest fires take place in the Smokies?
3. How old is William when he thinks that he is old?
4. What river is referred to at the beginning of the book?
5. In the first chapter, who built the porch that Abigail stands on?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has survived the frost in the first section to Abigail's surprise and how?
2. How is the content of "The Keepers of the House" organized?
3. Why is the November evening so quiet and final?
4. Describe Lorena Adams.
5. Immediately after Lorena's death, what plants does William notice?
6. In addition to the month being stated, what other clues about the season is the reader given in the first paragraph?
7. What is the reaction when William subscribes to the New York Tribune at his daughter's request?
8. What memories does Abigail think of after she thinks the owl flies over the river?
9. Describe the Howland tomb and its eventual use.
10. What does Aimee Legendre Howland have a craving for, and how does she meet this craving?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)