|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is squirming "helplessly on the boards" of the porch?
(a) A mouse.
(d) A bird with a broken wing.
2. What is flying around the porch in the first chapter?
3. In the first chapter, who built the porch that Abigail stands on?
(a) Her great-great grandfather.
(b) Her great-grandfather.
(c) Her great-great-great-great-grandfather.
(d) Her great-great-great grandfather.
4. What did William give his daughter as a homecoming surprise after her first year of college?
(a) A trip to Europe.
(b) A horse.
(c) A gazebo.
(d) A book of poetry.
5. From what state did William Marshall Howland originally come?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Abner Carmichael live?
2. What is the eye color of the last William Howland's eyes?
3. Why are there no pictures of Lorena Adams Howland?
4. In the first Book of Abigail, who avoids the porch light?
5. Who says that William's decision to remain a widower is indecent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What delays William's trip into the swamp to find the Robertson's liquor still?
2. Explain why the townspeople are angry at the grandfather for not bringing his daughter's body home for burial from Santa Fe?
3. Describe Lorena Adams.
4. What message does Abigail want the ladies at the tea to deliver to their husbands?
5. What does Abigail witness Oliver doing the day after the barn burned?
6. Describe Somerset County.
7. What does William Howland do for amusement while living in Atlanta?
8. What's the story of Cousin Francine's marriages?
9. What are Abigail's younger children doing as she stands on the porch?
10. What does Margaret find in the Howland woods that she brings back to the house?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)