|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Abigail was a child, who slept in the great tester bed in the south bedroom?
(a) Her mother.
(c) Her grandfather.
2. Who is surrounded by "tiers of flesh"?
(a) Annie Howland Campbell.
(b) Howland Campbell.
(c) William Howland.
(d) Gregory Mason.
3. What mammal does William see at the large freshwater lake in the middle of the swamp?
(a) Black panther.
4. What does the owl have for supper in the first Book of Abigail?
(b) Small bird.
5. Who says that William's decision to remain a widower is indecent?
(a) Mariah Peters.
(b) Annie, his sister.
(c) Abigail, his daughter.
(d) Lucy Whittemore.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Michael Campbell?
2. Who is best man at Abigail's wedding to Gregory Mason?
3. From where did the tomb builder come?
4. Who is passed out in the corner after the groom's breakfast?
5. Who ran off to a ship at Savannah and disappeared?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lorena Adams.
2. What is Abigail's reasoning for watering the geraniums so late in the season?
3. Describe the still that William eventually finds.
4. What is the reaction when William subscribes to the New York Tribune at his daughter's request?
5. Describe Abigail, William's daughter, as a child.
6. Describe the Howland tomb and its eventual use.
7. What does the narrator mean when she says that the county will find out about her oldest daughters being sent away because "they always know everything"?
8. What delays William's trip into the swamp to find the Robertson's liquor still?
9. What does Aimee Legendre Howland have a craving for, and how does she meet this craving?
10. What is the appearance of the front yard in the first section/chapter?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)