|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did the forest fires take place in the Smokies?
2. What does Abigail do immediately before watering?
(a) Puts on a sweater.
(b) Tells the children to wash for dinner.
(d) Turns on the porch light.
3. Why are there no pictures of Lorena Adams Howland?
(a) William burned them one afternoon.
(b) They burned in a house fire.
(c) Lorena refused to allow her picture to be taken.
(d) They were lost over the years.
4. What is squirming "helplessly on the boards" of the porch?
(c) A bird with a broken wing.
(d) A mouse.
5. Which one of Margaret's children has Abigail recently seen in the first chapter?
Short Answer Questions
1. In the first Book of Abigail, what does Abigail water?
2. What does the owl have for supper in the first Book of Abigail?
3. From what state did William Marshall Howland originally come?
4. Who says that William's decision to remain a widower is indecent?
5. What looks like a choppy sea to Abigail?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Abigail's reasoning for watering the geraniums so late in the season?
2. What does the narrator say in the first section that indicates that she might be lonely?
3. Why is the November evening so quiet and final?
4. What caused the "ugly smears" in the sky in October in the first section?
5. Describe the land that William Marshall Howland claims.
6. In the first Book of Abigail, what does Abigail remember of being a child in this house?
7. What delays William's trip into the swamp to find the Robertson's liquor still?
8. Describe Abigail, William's daughter, as a child.
9. How does William live his life after the death of his wife and son?
10. What memories does Abigail think of after she thinks the owl flies over the river?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)