|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is trainasse?
(a) Cajun name for swamp water.
(b) Creole name for narrow tunnels in a marsh.
(c) An animal found in the swamp.
(d) Cajun name for the marsh.
2. At the time of Abigail's wedding to Gregory Mason, how long has Oliver worked for William and in what capacity?
(a) 35 years; cook/helper.
(b) 20 years; general servant.
(c) 30 years; handyman/overseer.
(d) 25 years; handyman/helper/manager.
3. In the first Book of Abigail, what does Abigail believe she sees over the river?
(a) A huge fish.
(b) An owl.
(c) A thick mist.
(d) A person.
4. Who says, "Wind's to the west"?
5. When William is called to war, where does he go?
(a) Camp Reynolds in Savannah.
(d) Camp Martin in New Orleans.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the first chapter, how long has it been since Abigail has seen one of Margaret's children?
2. To whom does William admit being able to stand for his whole life, so he can manage a little more?
3. What is a 'painter' as mentioned in the Book of William?
4. What is squirming "helplessly on the boards" of the porch?
5. Whose shrieking does Abigail miss in the first Book of Abigail?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the final scene in "The Keepers of the House"?
2. What memories does Abigail think of after she thinks the owl flies over the river?
3. What are Abigail's days like after she and John marry but before he finishes his last year of law school?
4. Describe the typist working for Abigail in the epilogue.
5. Describe the only act of affection between her grandfather and Margaret that Abigail witnesses.
6. Explain the term Freejack.
7. In addition to the month being stated, what other clues about the season is the reader given in the first paragraph?
8. Why is the November evening so quiet and final?
9. Why does Abigail believe that a Catholic lawyer is perfect for her?
10. What is Abigail's reasoning for watering the geraniums so late in the season?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)