|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which one of Margaret's children has Abigail recently seen in the first chapter?
2. What is the eye color of the last William Howland's eyes?
3. In the first Book of Abigail, what does Abigail believe she sees over the river?
(a) A person.
(b) A thick mist.
(c) An owl.
(d) A huge fish.
4. What illusion does Abigail have in the first chapter?
(a) Her grandfather is still alive.
(b) She is dead.
(c) She is happy.
(d) The house appears as it was.
5. Who says that William's decision to remain a widower is indecent?
(a) Lucy Whittemore.
(b) Annie, his sister.
(c) Mariah Peters.
(d) Abigail, his daughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Michael Campbell?
2. What are the names of Margaret's children?
3. What is quiet and still and dry in the first chapter?
4. In what direction has the sun set at the beginning of "The Keepers of the House"?
5. In Abigail's imagination, who stands next to her on the porch in the first Book of Abigail?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the term Freejack.
2. What does William Howland do for amusement while living in Atlanta?
3. In addition to the month being stated, what other clues about the season is the reader given in the first paragraph?
4. Describe Abigail, William's daughter, as a child.
5. Why is the November evening so quiet and final?
6. What delays William's trip into the swamp to find the Robertson's liquor still?
7. How is the content of "The Keepers of the House" organized?
8. In the first Book of Abigail, what does Abigail remember of being a child in this house?
9. What is Abigail's reasoning for watering the geraniums so late in the season?
10. What does Aimee Legendre Howland have a craving for, and how does she meet this craving?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)