|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Abigail see in place of the fence?
(b) Wood for a new fence.
(c) Cherokee rose branches.
2. Who is passed out in the corner after the groom's breakfast?
(a) Gregory Mason.
(b) Mr. Bannister.
(c) Harry Armstrong.
(d) Howland Campbell.
3. How old is William when he thinks that he is old?
4. When did the forest fires take place in the Smokies?
5. What is like "stain on a sponge"?
(a) Dryness of the skin.
(b) The light on the porch.
(c) Water spilled onto the porch.
(d) The creeping night.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are the Robertsons rumored to build the latest addition to their business?
2. What do people call "the bones of the earth," according to the author?
3. Who says, "Not being pretty...it worries a girl"?
4. What is the eye color of the last William Howland's eyes?
5. What attacks William so that he coats his body with muck?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator mean when she says that the county will find out about her oldest daughters being sent away because "they always know everything"?
2. What does William Howland do for amusement while living in Atlanta?
3. Describe the land that William Marshall Howland claims.
4. Immediately after Lorena's death, what plants does William notice?
5. Describe the still that William eventually finds.
6. Why is the November evening so quiet and final?
7. What memories does Abigail think of after she thinks the owl flies over the river?
8. What is the appearance of the front yard in the first section/chapter?
9. How does William live his life after the death of his wife and son?
10. Describe Lorena Adams.
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)