|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Margaret's mother, what is hippin?
(a) Sagging diaper.
(b) Carrying babies on your hip.
(c) Talking in dialect.
(d) Acting arrogant.
2. Where did William find a mouse nest?
(a) In the kitchen pantry.
(b) On the top bookshelf.
(c) In a china tureen at the top of a closet.
(d) In the fireplace.
3. At one point during the grandmother's funeral, Margaret wishes she was _____________.
(d) Her great-grandmother.
4. Where does William first see evidence of Margaret's work?
5. What does Margaret give to Little Matthew?
(a) Her hat.
(b) A persimmon.
(c) A piggy back ride.
(d) A snakeskin.
6. Three books are mentioned that Abigail receives for agreeing to pretend to be the sick child. They are The Swiss Family Robinson, Kidnapped, and ________________.
(a) Wizard of Oz.
(b) Little Women.
(c) Treasure Island.
(d) Jo's Boys.
7. Where is John stationed during the Korean war?
(a) Washington, D.C.
(d) New Orleans.
8. What is another name that Margaret knows for water moccasins?
(b) Swamp snake.
(c) Water snake.
9. Whose job is it to water the garden in Margaret's family?
(a) The great-grandmother.
(b) Abner Carmichael.
(d) The youngest child.
10. How old was Margaret when her mother left for good?
11. Where is Cousin Mary's family from?
(a) New Church.
(b) Twin Fawns.
(c) Old Cedar.
(d) Madison City.
12. Who leaves for boarding school the autumn after William's daughter dies?
13. What realization does Margaret come to after the move to higher ground during the spring floods?
(a) This is her last year to make this move.
(b) It is time to have a child.
(c) She should move North.
(d) She should go find her mother.
14. Two African American children, six and seven years old, arrived at the Howland kitchen door on Sunday afternoon. What did everyone call these children?
15. How many children do William and Margaret have?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Margaret wash the clothes?
2. Who is Abigail referring to when she says, "He was as courtly as a planter out of a novel"?
3. Who was the youngest of Margaret's children?
4. As a child, where does Abigail go stay for almost a year?
5. Who says, "It's hot and I'm miseried"?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)