|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do John and Abigail go for their first date?
(a) Harris Pier.
(b) Sammy Ray's Country Cooking.
(c) Chicken Shack & Roof Garden.
(d) Cafe in the next county.
2. What is another name that Margaret knows for water moccasins?
(a) Water snake.
(d) Swamp snake.
3. When does Abigail tell her grandfather that she's getting married?
(a) After the spring semester.
(b) Immediately before spring finals.
(c) During the Easter holiday.
(d) One weekend in March.
4. Where does William first see evidence of Margaret's work?
5. After the Korean War, where does John set up his practice?
(a) Washington, D.C.
(c) New Orleans.
(d) Madison City.
6. How many children do William and Margaret have?
7. Why is Katy moaning in the Book of Margaret?
(a) She's in mourning.
(b) She has appendicitis.
(c) She has been bitten by a rattlesnake.
(d) She's in labor.
8. Why is Abigail away from home for almost a year?
(a) Margaret is mourning due to two miscarriages.
(b) A flood takes away the home, which has to be rebuilt.
(c) Her grandfather and Margaret take Abigail's mother to a tuberculosis sanitarium.
(d) Hiding her from her father.
9. Who did Abigail's father quote after the World War II started in 1939?
(a) Franklin D. Roosevelt.
(b) Winston Churchill.
(c) Percy Shelley.
(d) Rupert Brooks.
10. Oliver lived with his sister by a big spring. What was the name of the spring?
(a) Sobbing Woman.
(b) Cedar Creek.
(c) Little River.
(d) No-name Spring.
11. Who goes out on the nights of the new moon to look for a hoop snake?
(a) Robert and Abigail.
(b) Abigail and Nina.
(c) Crissy and Robert.
(d) Nina and Crissy.
12. As a girl, where does Margaret go on winter mornings?
(b) Hollow tree trunk.
(c) Stays in bed.
(d) By the stove.
13. As a child, where does Abigail go stay for almost a year?
(a) Her father.
(c) Aunt Annie.
14. What name did the Howland place once go by that an ancestor tried unsuccessfully to bring back?
15. According to Margaret's mother, what is hippin?
(a) Talking in dialect.
(b) Sagging diaper.
(c) Acting arrogant.
(d) Carrying babies on your hip.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city does Robert first attend boarding school?
2. Two African American children, six and seven years old, arrived at the Howland kitchen door on Sunday afternoon. What did everyone call these children?
3. What does Abigail's mother do with letters that arrive from her husband?
4. Who leaves for boarding school the autumn after William's daughter dies?
5. Who is Abigail referring to when she says, "He was as courtly as a planter out of a novel"?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)