|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who goes out on the nights of the new moon to look for a hoop snake?
(a) Nina and Crissy.
(b) Robert and Abigail.
(c) Crissy and Robert.
(d) Abigail and Nina.
2. Whose job is it to water the garden in Margaret's family?
(a) The youngest child.
(b) Abner Carmichael.
(c) The great-grandmother.
3. Where does William first see evidence of Margaret's work?
4. What is another name that Margaret knows for water moccasins?
(b) Water snake.
(c) Swamp snake.
5. Why is Abigail expelled from college?
(a) Drinking alcohol.
(b) Poor grades.
(c) She attends an elopement.
(d) Not checking in for curfew.
6. Who leaves for boarding school the autumn after William's daughter dies?
7. What did Margaret's family once turned into beads?
(b) Shells from nuts.
(c) River mud.
(d) Mussel and clamshells.
8. Where is Margaret when she first sees the spirit of her great-grandmother?
(a) By her tomato plants.
(b) By her cousin's mule.
(c) On an island in the swamp.
(d) On the porch.
9. What does William like to drink throughout Sunday?
(a) Fresh milk.
(b) Bourbon and water.
(d) Whisky straight.
10. Why does Abigail cry after the birth of her second child?
(a) She doesn't know where her husband is.
(b) She doesn't have a son.
(c) She is in so much pain.
(d) She can't get to the hospital.
11. Who did Abigail's father quote after the World War II started in 1939?
(a) Winston Churchill.
(b) Rupert Brooks.
(c) Franklin D. Roosevelt.
(d) Percy Shelley.
12. What rolls down the road when the moon is small, according to Margaret?
(d) Hoop snake.
13. As a girl, where does Margaret go on winter mornings?
(a) By the stove.
(c) Hollow tree trunk.
(d) Stays in bed.
14. What does Margaret do with the fruit she finds in the woods around the Howland home?
(a) Eats it.
(b) Turns it into preserves.
(c) Makes pies with it.
(d) Feeds it to the hogs.
15. Who attends Carnegie Tech?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Margaret see her grandmother's spirit immediately after the funeral?
2. Who mentions that Abigail flounces out of the house?
3. Where does Abigail go on vacation after graduating from high school?
4. Who tells Margaret about her father and how her parents met?
5. What do people clean muddy shoes on at the Howland home?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)