|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does William like to drink throughout Sunday?
(a) Fresh milk.
(c) Bourbon and water.
(d) Whisky straight.
2. According to Margaret's mother, what is hippin?
(a) Sagging diaper.
(b) Acting arrogant.
(c) Carrying babies on your hip.
(d) Talking in dialect.
3. What does Margaret give to Little Matthew?
(a) A persimmon.
(b) A snakeskin.
(c) Her hat.
(d) A piggy back ride.
4. Why does Abigail cry after the birth of her second child?
(a) She doesn't have a son.
(b) She doesn't know where her husband is.
(c) She can't get to the hospital.
(d) She is in so much pain.
5. Whose job is it to water the garden in Margaret's family?
(a) The youngest child.
(c) The great-grandmother.
(d) Abner Carmichael.
6. As a girl, where does Margaret go on winter mornings?
(a) Hollow tree trunk.
(b) By the stove.
(d) Stays in bed.
7. Who goes out on the nights of the new moon to look for a hoop snake?
(a) Robert and Abigail.
(b) Crissy and Robert.
(c) Nina and Crissy.
(d) Abigail and Nina.
8. Why is Abigail away from home for almost a year?
(a) A flood takes away the home, which has to be rebuilt.
(b) Margaret is mourning due to two miscarriages.
(c) Hiding her from her father.
(d) Her grandfather and Margaret take Abigail's mother to a tuberculosis sanitarium.
9. Oliver lived with his sister by a big spring. What was the name of the spring?
(a) Cedar Creek.
(b) Sobbing Woman.
(c) No-name Spring.
(d) Little River.
10. Who tells Margaret about her father and how her parents met?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her grandfather.
(c) Her great-grandmother.
(d) A cousin.
11. What rolls down the road when the moon is small, according to Margaret?
(a) Hoop snake.
12. In what month do Abigail and John marry?
13. What is the last name of the cousins that Abigail goes on an outing with once or twice a month?
14. What name did the Howland place once go by that an ancestor tried unsuccessfully to bring back?
15. What does Margaret do with the fruit she finds in the woods around the Howland home?
(a) Feeds it to the hogs.
(b) Turns it into preserves.
(c) Eats it.
(d) Makes pies with it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What career does Robert have, and where is his first job?
2. Who catches pneumonia after having the chicken pox and almost dies?
3. After the Korean War, where does John set up his practice?
4. Where did William find a mouse nest?
5. What color is the swamp azalea in this book?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)