|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who mentions that Abigail flounces out of the house?
2. When William shows concern at Margaret getting weak-kneed, she blames it on _____________.
(a) His presence.
(b) The long walk.
(c) Bitter grass.
3. Three books are mentioned that Abigail receives for agreeing to pretend to be the sick child. They are The Swiss Family Robinson, Kidnapped, and ________________.
(a) Jo's Boys.
(b) Treasure Island.
(c) Little Women.
(d) Wizard of Oz.
4. Ramona hunts through an armoire until she finds _________ for Margaret.
(a) The best of the bedsheets.
(b) A bedsheet with a rip down the middle.
5. What rolls down the road when the moon is small, according to Margaret?
(b) Hoop snake.
6. As a girl, where does Margaret go on winter mornings?
(a) Stays in bed.
(b) By the stove.
(c) Hollow tree trunk.
7. Who says, "It's hot and I'm miseried"?
(a) Abner Carmichael.
(c) Aunt Mary.
(d) Cousin Kate.
8. Whose job is it to water the garden in Margaret's family?
(b) Abner Carmichael.
(c) The great-grandmother.
(d) The youngest child.
9. Where do the newly married Tollivers honeymoon?
(a) New Orleans.
10. Oliver lived with his sister by a big spring. What was the name of the spring?
(a) Sobbing Woman.
(b) Cedar Creek.
(c) No-name Spring.
(d) Little River.
11. What is the flowered cloth that Margaret is sewing from?
(a) Old sheets.
(b) Material purchased for curtains.
(c) An old dress belonging to William's wife.
(d) Something that Ramona gives her.
12. What do people clean muddy shoes on at the Howland home?
(a) Rinses off with well water.
(b) Uses a stick to get the mud out.
(c) Boot scraper shaped like two rabbits.
(d) Cleans them in the river.
13. At one point during the grandmother's funeral, Margaret wishes she was _____________.
(b) Her great-grandmother.
14. How does William honor his daughter after death in Wade County?
(a) He builds a new church building.
(b) A memorial at the church.
(c) A memorial dinner at the house.
(d) Gives a stained glass window to the Methodist church.
15. What career does Robert have, and where is his first job?
(a) Doctor; Los Angeles.
(b) Engineer; San Francisco.
(c) Architect; Chicago.
(d) Banker; Philadelphia.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is another name that Margaret knows for water moccasins?
2. Who goes out on the nights of the new moon to look for a hoop snake?
3. What realization does Margaret come to after the move to higher ground during the spring floods?
4. Who attends Carnegie Tech?
5. Which child receives the most affection from Margaret and William?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)