|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom does Abigail drive off after her near drowning?
(a) John Tolliver.
(b) She drives off alone.
(c) Tom Stanley.
(d) Her roommate.
2. Who is Abigail referring to when she says, "He was as courtly as a planter out of a novel"?
(a) The governor.
(c) John Tolliver.
(d) President of the university.
3. What is the last name of the cousins that Abigail goes on an outing with once or twice a month?
4. Who mentions that Abigail flounces out of the house?
5. Why is Abigail away from home for almost a year?
(a) Hiding her from her father.
(b) Margaret is mourning due to two miscarriages.
(c) Her grandfather and Margaret take Abigail's mother to a tuberculosis sanitarium.
(d) A flood takes away the home, which has to be rebuilt.
6. According to Abigail, in what animal is her grandfather most interested?
7. What did Margaret's family once turned into beads?
(b) Mussel and clamshells.
(c) Shells from nuts.
(d) River mud.
8. As a child, where does Abigail go stay for almost a year?
(b) Aunt Annie.
(d) Her father.
9. What outlines the graves in New Church?
(b) Barbed wire.
(c) White stone.
(d) China animals.
10. When William shows concern at Margaret getting weak-kneed, she blames it on _____________.
(a) Bitter grass.
(b) His presence.
(c) The long walk.
11. Where does Margaret see her grandmother's spirit immediately after the funeral?
(d) A grove of trees.
12. What is another name that Margaret knows for water moccasins?
(a) Water snake.
(d) Swamp snake.
13. Whose job is it to water the garden in Margaret's family?
(a) The great-grandmother.
(b) The youngest child.
(d) Abner Carmichael.
14. With whom does Ramona live?
(a) No one.
(b) The Howlands.
(d) Husband and daughter.
15. What does Margaret eat from the streams?
(a) Wild watercress.
Short Answer Questions
1. In February, John calls Abigail to ask her out. On their date, a jukebox is playing. What is the first song they heard from it?
2. What is another name for Somerset County?
3. In what month do Abigail and John marry?
4. What do people clean muddy shoes on at the Howland home?
5. According to Margaret's mother, what is hippin?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)