|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says, "It's hot and I'm miseried"?
(b) Cousin Kate.
(c) Abner Carmichael.
(d) Aunt Mary.
2. Who tells Abigail that she's not "beholden" to the Howland home?
(b) Her grandfather.
(c) Her father.
(d) John Tolliver.
3. How old is Margaret when she learns the story of her father?
4. Two African American children, six and seven years old, arrived at the Howland kitchen door on Sunday afternoon. What did everyone call these children?
5. What rolls down the road when the moon is small, according to Margaret?
(a) Hoop snake.
6. Who leaves for boarding school the autumn after William's daughter dies?
7. Why is Katy moaning in the Book of Margaret?
(a) She's in labor.
(b) She has appendicitis.
(c) She has been bitten by a rattlesnake.
(d) She's in mourning.
8. Why is Abigail away from home for almost a year?
(a) Hiding her from her father.
(b) Her grandfather and Margaret take Abigail's mother to a tuberculosis sanitarium.
(c) Margaret is mourning due to two miscarriages.
(d) A flood takes away the home, which has to be rebuilt.
9. According to Margaret's mother, what is hippin?
(a) Sagging diaper.
(b) Carrying babies on your hip.
(c) Acting arrogant.
(d) Talking in dialect.
10. What sound do the branches of the bluish white hickory tree make?
11. Ramona hunts through an armoire until she finds _________ for Margaret.
(a) A bedsheet with a rip down the middle.
(b) The best of the bedsheets.
12. In what city does Robert first attend boarding school?
13. Where is Margaret when she first sees the spirit of her great-grandmother?
(a) By her cousin's mule.
(b) On an island in the swamp.
(c) By her tomato plants.
(d) On the porch.
14. How many children do William and Margaret have?
15. Where is John stationed during the Korean war?
(a) New Orleans.
(d) Washington, D.C.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is another name for Somerset County?
2. How does William honor his daughter after death in Wade County?
3. Where did William find a mouse nest?
4. What do people clean muddy shoes on at the Howland home?
5. In what month do Abigail and John marry?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)