|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who catches pneumonia after having the chicken pox and almost dies?
2. Why is Katy moaning in the Book of Margaret?
(a) She has been bitten by a rattlesnake.
(b) She's in mourning.
(c) She has appendicitis.
(d) She's in labor.
3. As a girl, where does Margaret go on winter mornings?
(b) Stays in bed.
(c) Hollow tree trunk.
(d) By the stove.
4. Who says, "It's hot and I'm miseried"?
(b) Abner Carmichael.
(c) Aunt Mary.
(d) Cousin Kate.
5. What career does Robert have, and where is his first job?
(a) Architect; Chicago.
(b) Banker; Philadelphia.
(c) Doctor; Los Angeles.
(d) Engineer; San Francisco.
6. What is another name for Somerset County?
(a) Plantation Country.
(b) Robbers' Nation.
(c) Cotton County.
(d) Tolliver Nation.
7. Who is Robert Stokes?
8. What does Margaret eat from the streams?
(b) Wild watercress.
9. Why does Abigail cry after the birth of her second child?
(a) She doesn't have a son.
(b) She is in so much pain.
(c) She can't get to the hospital.
(d) She doesn't know where her husband is.
10. At one point during the grandmother's funeral, Margaret wishes she was _____________.
(d) Her great-grandmother.
11. What name did the Howland place once go by that an ancestor tried unsuccessfully to bring back?
12. What do people clean muddy shoes on at the Howland home?
(a) Rinses off with well water.
(b) Uses a stick to get the mud out.
(c) Cleans them in the river.
(d) Boot scraper shaped like two rabbits.
13. Who goes out on the nights of the new moon to look for a hoop snake?
(a) Robert and Abigail.
(b) Crissy and Robert.
(c) Nina and Crissy.
(d) Abigail and Nina.
14. What did Margaret's family once turned into beads?
(b) River mud.
(c) Shells from nuts.
(d) Mussel and clamshells.
15. What train runs from Atlanta to Madison City?
(a) Number 5.
(b) The South Atlantic line.
(c) Number 8.
(d) The New Orleans line.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the Korean War, where does John set up his practice?
2. Who sits on the Carmichael porch to play the banjo and sing the blues?
3. Ramona hunts through an armoire until she finds _________ for Margaret.
4. Who leaves for boarding school the autumn after William's daughter dies?
5. Who tells Margaret about her father and how her parents met?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)