|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Margaret wash the clothes?
(a) In the river.
(b) In the water near the baptistry.
(c) In a washing machine in town.
(d) In well water.
2. What career does Robert have, and where is his first job?
(a) Doctor; Los Angeles.
(b) Architect; Chicago.
(c) Banker; Philadelphia.
(d) Engineer; San Francisco.
3. Who tells Margaret about her father and how her parents met?
(a) Her great-grandmother.
(b) A cousin.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her grandfather.
4. How does William honor his daughter after death in Wade County?
(a) A memorial dinner at the house.
(b) A memorial at the church.
(c) Gives a stained glass window to the Methodist church.
(d) He builds a new church building.
5. What color is the swamp azalea in this book?
(a) Pink and white.
(b) White and purple.
(c) Pink and red.
(d) Red and yellow.
6. What does Margaret do with the fruit she finds in the woods around the Howland home?
(a) Turns it into preserves.
(b) Eats it.
(c) Makes pies with it.
(d) Feeds it to the hogs.
7. What outlines the graves in New Church?
(a) Barbed wire.
(b) China animals.
(c) White stone.
8. Three books are mentioned that Abigail receives for agreeing to pretend to be the sick child. They are The Swiss Family Robinson, Kidnapped, and ________________.
(a) Little Women.
(b) Treasure Island.
(c) Jo's Boys.
(d) Wizard of Oz.
9. What sound do the branches of the bluish white hickory tree make?
10. Two African American children, six and seven years old, arrived at the Howland kitchen door on Sunday afternoon. What did everyone call these children?
11. What is another name that Margaret knows for water moccasins?
(b) Water snake.
(c) Swamp snake.
12. Where is Margaret when she first sees the spirit of her great-grandmother?
(a) By her tomato plants.
(b) On the porch.
(c) By her cousin's mule.
(d) On an island in the swamp.
13. What is the last name of the cousins that Abigail goes on an outing with once or twice a month?
14. What do people clean muddy shoes on at the Howland home?
(a) Boot scraper shaped like two rabbits.
(b) Uses a stick to get the mud out.
(c) Cleans them in the river.
(d) Rinses off with well water.
15. How old was Margaret when her mother left for good?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who catches pneumonia after having the chicken pox and almost dies?
2. What realization does Margaret come to after the move to higher ground during the spring floods?
3. Ramona hunts through an armoire until she finds _________ for Margaret.
4. How old is Margaret when she learns the story of her father?
5. What does William like to drink throughout Sunday?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)