|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When William shows concern at Margaret getting weak-kneed, she blames it on _____________.
(a) Bitter grass.
(c) His presence.
(d) The long walk.
2. Why is Katy moaning in the Book of Margaret?
(a) She's in labor.
(b) She's in mourning.
(c) She has appendicitis.
(d) She has been bitten by a rattlesnake.
3. Where does Margaret see her grandmother's spirit immediately after the funeral?
(d) A grove of trees.
4. How old was Margaret when her mother left for good?
5. Where does William first see evidence of Margaret's work?
6. Where does Margaret wash the clothes?
(a) In the water near the baptistry.
(b) In well water.
(c) In a washing machine in town.
(d) In the river.
7. Who mentions that Abigail flounces out of the house?
8. Who did Abigail's father quote after the World War II started in 1939?
(a) Percy Shelley.
(b) Winston Churchill.
(c) Rupert Brooks.
(d) Franklin D. Roosevelt.
9. What does Margaret pack her possessions in when she moves away from New Church?
(b) Old shirt.
(c) Old bag.
10. Oliver lived with his sister by a big spring. What was the name of the spring?
(a) No-name Spring.
(b) Cedar Creek.
(c) Sobbing Woman.
(d) Little River.
11. Where does Abigail go on vacation after graduating from high school?
(b) The West.
(d) New York City.
12. Where do the newly married Tollivers honeymoon?
(c) New Orleans.
13. With whom does Abigail drive off after her near drowning?
(a) Tom Stanley.
(b) She drives off alone.
(c) John Tolliver.
(d) Her roommate.
14. In what month do Abigail and John marry?
15. In what city does Robert first attend boarding school?
Short Answer Questions
1. Two African American children, six and seven years old, arrived at the Howland kitchen door on Sunday afternoon. What did everyone call these children?
2. What color is the swamp azalea in this book?
3. What did Margaret's family once turned into beads?
4. Which child receives the most affection from Margaret and William?
5. Why is Abigail expelled from college?
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)