|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Abigail away from home for almost a year?
(a) Margaret is mourning due to two miscarriages.
(b) Hiding her from her father.
(c) A flood takes away the home, which has to be rebuilt.
(d) Her grandfather and Margaret take Abigail's mother to a tuberculosis sanitarium.
2. What do people clean muddy shoes on at the Howland home?
(a) Cleans them in the river.
(b) Rinses off with well water.
(c) Uses a stick to get the mud out.
(d) Boot scraper shaped like two rabbits.
3. Two African American children, six and seven years old, arrived at the Howland kitchen door on Sunday afternoon. What did everyone call these children?
4. What does Abigail's mother do with letters that arrive from her husband?
(a) Throws them into the fire.
(b) Rips them in half.
(c) Cries over them.
(d) Reads them.
5. According to Margaret's mother, what is hippin?
(a) Talking in dialect.
(b) Acting arrogant.
(c) Carrying babies on your hip.
(d) Sagging diaper.
6. In what month do Abigail and John marry?
7. Who goes out on the nights of the new moon to look for a hoop snake?
(a) Robert and Abigail.
(b) Nina and Crissy.
(c) Crissy and Robert.
(d) Abigail and Nina.
8. With whom does Abigail drive off after her near drowning?
(a) She drives off alone.
(b) Tom Stanley.
(c) John Tolliver.
(d) Her roommate.
9. Who is Abigail referring to when she says, "He was as courtly as a planter out of a novel"?
(b) President of the university.
(c) The governor.
(d) John Tolliver.
10. Who tells Margaret about her father and how her parents met?
(a) Her great-grandmother.
(b) A cousin.
(c) Her grandfather.
(d) Her mother.
11. Who did Abigail's father quote after the World War II started in 1939?
(a) Winston Churchill.
(b) Rupert Brooks.
(c) Percy Shelley.
(d) Franklin D. Roosevelt.
12. With whom does Ramona live?
(a) Husband and daughter.
(c) The Howlands.
(d) No one.
13. Who is Robert Stokes?
14. Who leaves for boarding school the autumn after William's daughter dies?
15. What does William like to drink throughout Sunday?
(a) Whisky straight.
(b) Fresh milk.
(c) Bourbon and water.
Short Answer Questions
1. What outlines the graves in New Church?
2. What career does Robert have, and where is his first job?
3. What does Margaret do with the fruit she finds in the woods around the Howland home?
4. What do the road crews discover when they blast through McCarren Hill?
5. How does William honor his daughter after death in Wade County?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)