|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do people clean muddy shoes on at the Howland home?
(a) Boot scraper shaped like two rabbits.
(b) Cleans them in the river.
(c) Rinses off with well water.
(d) Uses a stick to get the mud out.
2. Where does Margaret wash the clothes?
(a) In a washing machine in town.
(b) In the river.
(c) In the water near the baptistry.
(d) In well water.
3. Who sits on the Carmichael porch to play the banjo and sing the blues?
(a) Elfetha Harris.
(b) Grover Kent.
(c) Jack Tobias.
(d) Roger Ellis.
4. When William shows concern at Margaret getting weak-kneed, she blames it on _____________.
(a) His presence.
(b) Bitter grass.
(c) The long walk.
5. In what month do Abigail and John marry?
6. Who tells Margaret about her father and how her parents met?
(a) Her grandfather.
(b) Her mother.
(c) A cousin.
(d) Her great-grandmother.
7. What does Margaret eat from the streams?
(b) Wild watercress.
8. Who was the youngest of Margaret's children?
9. Oliver lived with his sister by a big spring. What was the name of the spring?
(a) Sobbing Woman.
(b) Cedar Creek.
(c) No-name Spring.
(d) Little River.
10. What realization does Margaret come to after the move to higher ground during the spring floods?
(a) She should move North.
(b) She should go find her mother.
(c) This is her last year to make this move.
(d) It is time to have a child.
11. How old is Margaret when she learns the story of her father?
12. What does Margaret do with the fruit she finds in the woods around the Howland home?
(a) Makes pies with it.
(b) Turns it into preserves.
(c) Feeds it to the hogs.
(d) Eats it.
13. When does Abigail tell her grandfather that she's getting married?
(a) One weekend in March.
(b) Immediately before spring finals.
(c) During the Easter holiday.
(d) After the spring semester.
14. Where does William first see evidence of Margaret's work?
15. Whose job is it to water the garden in Margaret's family?
(a) The youngest child.
(b) The great-grandmother.
(d) Abner Carmichael.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who attends Carnegie Tech?
2. What is the flowered cloth that Margaret is sewing from?
3. What did Margaret's family once turned into beads?
4. Why is Katy moaning in the Book of Margaret?
5. Two African American children, six and seven years old, arrived at the Howland kitchen door on Sunday afternoon. What did everyone call these children?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)