|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Abigail tell her grandfather that she's getting married?
(a) During the Easter holiday.
(b) Immediately before spring finals.
(c) One weekend in March.
(d) After the spring semester.
2. What name did the Howland place once go by that an ancestor tried unsuccessfully to bring back?
3. What train runs from Atlanta to Madison City?
(a) The South Atlantic line.
(b) Number 8.
(c) The New Orleans line.
(d) Number 5.
4. What do people clean muddy shoes on at the Howland home?
(a) Boot scraper shaped like two rabbits.
(b) Uses a stick to get the mud out.
(c) Rinses off with well water.
(d) Cleans them in the river.
5. Who did Abigail's father quote after the World War II started in 1939?
(a) Franklin D. Roosevelt.
(b) Percy Shelley.
(c) Rupert Brooks.
(d) Winston Churchill.
6. According to Abigail, in what animal is her grandfather most interested?
7. What color is the swamp azalea in this book?
(a) Red and yellow.
(b) Pink and white.
(c) Pink and red.
(d) White and purple.
8. What is the flowered cloth that Margaret is sewing from?
(a) Something that Ramona gives her.
(b) Old sheets.
(c) Material purchased for curtains.
(d) An old dress belonging to William's wife.
9. Which child receives the most affection from Margaret and William?
10. Where does Abigail go on vacation after graduating from high school?
(b) The West.
(c) New York City.
11. With whom does Abigail drive off after her near drowning?
(a) Tom Stanley.
(b) John Tolliver.
(c) Her roommate.
(d) She drives off alone.
12. What realization does Margaret come to after the move to higher ground during the spring floods?
(a) It is time to have a child.
(b) She should move North.
(c) This is her last year to make this move.
(d) She should go find her mother.
13. How old is Margaret when she learns the story of her father?
14. What does William find on his back porch that he thinks looks "right pretty"?
(a) Basket of fruit.
(b) A family of cats.
(c) Pumpkins, squash, and gourds.
(d) A recently painted rocking chair.
15. Where is Cousin Mary's family from?
(a) Old Cedar.
(b) New Church.
(c) Madison City.
(d) Twin Fawns.
Short Answer Questions
1. At one point during the grandmother's funeral, Margaret wishes she was _____________.
2. Where do the newly married Tollivers honeymoon?
3. What does Abigail's mother do with letters that arrive from her husband?
4. Who is Abigail referring to when she says, "He was as courtly as a planter out of a novel"?
5. What is another name that Margaret knows for water moccasins?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)