|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells Abigail that she's not "beholden" to the Howland home?
(a) Her grandfather.
(b) Her father.
(d) John Tolliver.
2. Where do John and Abigail go for their first date?
(a) Sammy Ray's Country Cooking.
(b) Cafe in the next county.
(c) Chicken Shack & Roof Garden.
(d) Harris Pier.
3. Who tells Margaret about her father and how her parents met?
(a) Her great-grandmother.
(b) A cousin.
(c) Her grandfather.
(d) Her mother.
4. What does Abigail's mother do with letters that arrive from her husband?
(a) Cries over them.
(b) Rips them in half.
(c) Throws them into the fire.
(d) Reads them.
5. Who leaves for boarding school the autumn after William's daughter dies?
6. What is the last name of the cousins that Abigail goes on an outing with once or twice a month?
7. Who goes out on the nights of the new moon to look for a hoop snake?
(a) Abigail and Nina.
(b) Robert and Abigail.
(c) Crissy and Robert.
(d) Nina and Crissy.
8. Whose job is it to water the garden in Margaret's family?
(a) The youngest child.
(b) Abner Carmichael.
(d) The great-grandmother.
9. Two African American children, six and seven years old, arrived at the Howland kitchen door on Sunday afternoon. What did everyone call these children?
10. What realization does Margaret come to after the move to higher ground during the spring floods?
(a) She should go find her mother.
(b) This is her last year to make this move.
(c) She should move North.
(d) It is time to have a child.
11. Who is Robert Stokes?
12. What rolls down the road when the moon is small, according to Margaret?
(b) Hoop snake.
13. What train runs from Atlanta to Madison City?
(a) Number 8.
(b) The New Orleans line.
(c) Number 5.
(d) The South Atlantic line.
14. Where do the newly married Tollivers honeymoon?
(d) New Orleans.
15. Where does Margaret wash the clothes?
(a) In a washing machine in town.
(b) In the river.
(c) In the water near the baptistry.
(d) In well water.
Short Answer Questions
1. In February, John calls Abigail to ask her out. On their date, a jukebox is playing. What is the first song they heard from it?
2. What do people clean muddy shoes on at the Howland home?
3. After the Korean War, where does John set up his practice?
4. Who catches pneumonia after having the chicken pox and almost dies?
5. What is another name that Margaret knows for water moccasins?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)