|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Margaret when her mother left for good?
2. What did Margaret's family once turned into beads?
(a) Mussel and clamshells.
(b) Shells from nuts.
(c) River mud.
3. What train runs from Atlanta to Madison City?
(a) Number 5.
(b) The New Orleans line.
(c) The South Atlantic line.
(d) Number 8.
4. When William shows concern at Margaret getting weak-kneed, she blames it on _____________.
(b) Bitter grass.
(c) The long walk.
(d) His presence.
5. Who catches pneumonia after having the chicken pox and almost dies?
6. Three books are mentioned that Abigail receives for agreeing to pretend to be the sick child. They are The Swiss Family Robinson, Kidnapped, and ________________.
(a) Little Women.
(b) Treasure Island.
(c) Jo's Boys.
(d) Wizard of Oz.
7. What do the road crews discover when they blast through McCarren Hill?
(b) An Indian cemetery.
(c) A swamp.
(d) Hundreds of snakes.
8. As a child, where does Abigail go stay for almost a year?
(b) Her father.
(c) Aunt Annie.
9. Why is Abigail expelled from college?
(a) Drinking alcohol.
(b) She attends an elopement.
(c) Poor grades.
(d) Not checking in for curfew.
10. What is another name that Margaret knows for water moccasins?
(b) Water snake.
(c) Swamp snake.
11. What outlines the graves in New Church?
(b) White stone.
(c) Barbed wire.
(d) China animals.
12. Where do the newly married Tollivers honeymoon?
(a) New Orleans.
13. Where is John stationed during the Korean war?
(b) Washington, D.C.
(c) New Orleans.
14. According to Abigail, in what animal is her grandfather most interested?
15. Who sits on the Carmichael porch to play the banjo and sing the blues?
(a) Grover Kent.
(b) Roger Ellis.
(c) Jack Tobias.
(d) Elfetha Harris.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Margaret see her grandmother's spirit immediately after the funeral?
2. Who tells Abigail that she's not "beholden" to the Howland home?
3. What realization does Margaret come to after the move to higher ground during the spring floods?
4. Ramona hunts through an armoire until she finds _________ for Margaret.
5. Who leaves for boarding school the autumn after William's daughter dies?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)