|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did William find a mouse nest?
(a) In the fireplace.
(b) In the kitchen pantry.
(c) On the top bookshelf.
(d) In a china tureen at the top of a closet.
2. Who tells Margaret about her father and how her parents met?
(a) Her mother.
(b) A cousin.
(c) Her grandfather.
(d) Her great-grandmother.
3. Who says, "It's hot and I'm miseried"?
(b) Aunt Mary.
(c) Abner Carmichael.
(d) Cousin Kate.
4. What realization does Margaret come to after the move to higher ground during the spring floods?
(a) She should move North.
(b) She should go find her mother.
(c) It is time to have a child.
(d) This is her last year to make this move.
5. At one point during the grandmother's funeral, Margaret wishes she was _____________.
(b) Her great-grandmother.
6. Who is Abigail referring to when she says, "He was as courtly as a planter out of a novel"?
(b) The governor.
(c) President of the university.
(d) John Tolliver.
7. Where does William first see evidence of Margaret's work?
8. What do the road crews discover when they blast through McCarren Hill?
(b) Hundreds of snakes.
(c) A swamp.
(d) An Indian cemetery.
9. Why does Abigail cry after the birth of her second child?
(a) She doesn't have a son.
(b) She can't get to the hospital.
(c) She is in so much pain.
(d) She doesn't know where her husband is.
10. How old is Margaret when she learns the story of her father?
11. What is another name for Somerset County?
(a) Plantation Country.
(b) Cotton County.
(c) Robbers' Nation.
(d) Tolliver Nation.
12. Who goes out on the nights of the new moon to look for a hoop snake?
(a) Crissy and Robert.
(b) Nina and Crissy.
(c) Robert and Abigail.
(d) Abigail and Nina.
13. What does William like to drink throughout Sunday?
(b) Bourbon and water.
(c) Whisky straight.
(d) Fresh milk.
14. How old was Margaret when her mother left for good?
15. As a child, where does Abigail go stay for almost a year?
(a) Aunt Annie.
(b) Her father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who attends Carnegie Tech?
2. Where is Cousin Mary's family from?
3. According to Abigail, in what animal is her grandfather most interested?
4. Who mentions that Abigail flounces out of the house?
5. What do people clean muddy shoes on at the Howland home?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)