|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who goes out on the nights of the new moon to look for a hoop snake?
(a) Abigail and Nina.
(b) Robert and Abigail.
(c) Nina and Crissy.
(d) Crissy and Robert.
2. Where does Abigail go on vacation after graduating from high school?
(a) The West.
(b) New York City.
3. What color is the swamp azalea in this book?
(a) Red and yellow.
(b) Pink and white.
(c) Pink and red.
(d) White and purple.
4. Why is Abigail expelled from college?
(a) Drinking alcohol.
(b) Not checking in for curfew.
(c) Poor grades.
(d) She attends an elopement.
5. What is the last name of the cousins that Abigail goes on an outing with once or twice a month?
6. What do people clean muddy shoes on at the Howland home?
(a) Uses a stick to get the mud out.
(b) Boot scraper shaped like two rabbits.
(c) Cleans them in the river.
(d) Rinses off with well water.
7. In February, John calls Abigail to ask her out. On their date, a jukebox is playing. What is the first song they heard from it?
(a) Mona Lisa.
(b) Long Gone Lonesome Blues.
(c) Glory of Love.
(d) Please Send Me Someone To Love.
8. Where is Margaret when she first sees the spirit of her great-grandmother?
(a) By her tomato plants.
(b) On an island in the swamp.
(c) By her cousin's mule.
(d) On the porch.
9. What does Margaret give to Little Matthew?
(a) A snakeskin.
(b) A piggy back ride.
(c) A persimmon.
(d) Her hat.
10. Who is Robert Stokes?
11. What do the road crews discover when they blast through McCarren Hill?
(b) A swamp.
(c) Hundreds of snakes.
(d) An Indian cemetery.
12. Why is Abigail away from home for almost a year?
(a) Hiding her from her father.
(b) Her grandfather and Margaret take Abigail's mother to a tuberculosis sanitarium.
(c) A flood takes away the home, which has to be rebuilt.
(d) Margaret is mourning due to two miscarriages.
13. What does Abigail's mother do with letters that arrive from her husband?
(a) Cries over them.
(b) Reads them.
(c) Rips them in half.
(d) Throws them into the fire.
14. What is the flowered cloth that Margaret is sewing from?
(a) An old dress belonging to William's wife.
(b) Something that Ramona gives her.
(c) Material purchased for curtains.
(d) Old sheets.
15. How old is Margaret when she learns the story of her father?
Short Answer Questions
1. What train runs from Atlanta to Madison City?
2. Where does William first see evidence of Margaret's work?
3. What did Margaret's family once turned into beads?
4. Who catches pneumonia after having the chicken pox and almost dies?
5. What does Margaret eat from the streams?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)