|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Abigail's son's name?
2. What is Lorena diagnosed with three days after giving birth to a son?
(a) The fever.
3. What is squirming "helplessly on the boards" of the porch?
(c) A bird with a broken wing.
(d) A mouse.
4. When did the forest fires take place in the Smokies?
5. How old is William when he thinks that he is old?
6. Who says, "Wind's to the west"?
7. Who is Michael Campbell?
(a) William's cousin who is a doctor.
(b) The Madison City postmaster.
(c) William's brother-in-law.
(d) William's cousin who is a lawyer.
8. When William is called to war, where does he go?
(b) Camp Reynolds in Savannah.
(c) Camp Martin in New Orleans.
9. Where does Abner Carmichael live?
(a) In a floating house in New Church.
(b) In the biggest brick house in New Church.
(c) In a shack in the middle of the swamp.
(d) In a houseboat in Mobile.
10. At the time of Abigail's wedding to Gregory Mason, how long has Oliver worked for William and in what capacity?
(a) 30 years; handyman/overseer.
(b) 25 years; handyman/helper/manager.
(c) 20 years; general servant.
(d) 35 years; cook/helper.
11. When Abigail was a child, who slept in the great tester bed in the south bedroom?
(c) Her grandfather.
(d) Her mother.
12. In the first chapter, who built the porch that Abigail stands on?
(a) Her great-great-great grandfather.
(b) Her great-great grandfather.
(c) Her great-grandfather.
(d) Her great-great-great-great-grandfather.
13. In what direction has the sun set at the beginning of "The Keepers of the House"?
(a) Due west.
(d) The clouds keep Abigail from seeing the sun set.
14. What mammal does William see at the large freshwater lake in the middle of the swamp?
(d) Black panther.
15. Where have the oldest children left to go to school at in the first chapter?
(c) New Orleans.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many bedrooms does Annie count in the Howland home?
2. What is likker?
3. In the first Book of Abigail, who avoids the porch light?
4. How did William Marshall Howland die?
5. From what state did William Marshall Howland originally come?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)