|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where have the oldest children left to go to school at in the first chapter?
(c) New Orleans.
2. Whose shrieking does Abigail miss in the first Book of Abigail?
(a) Her children.
(b) The townspeople.
(c) Her ex-husband.
(d) Two whipporwills.
3. Where are the Robertsons rumored to build the latest addition to their business?
(a) Madison City.
(b) Across Providence River.
(c) Near New Church.
(d) Honey Island Swamp.
4. What attacks William so that he coats his body with muck?
5. Where does William's daughter go to college?
(a) University of Montevallo in Alabama.
(b) Mary Baldwin in Virginia.
(c) Agnes Scott College in Georgia.
(d) H. Sophie Newcomb Memorial College in Louisiana.
6. What is flying around the porch in the first chapter?
7. What is a 'painter' as mentioned in the Book of William?
(a) A bobcat.
(b) A type of slave.
(c) Someone who paints barns.
(d) An artist.
8. What is William's first step in the adventure of going into the swamp?
(a) He buys a skiff.
(b) He packs food.
(c) He draws a map.
(d) He cleans his guns.
9. What illusion does Abigail have in the first chapter?
(a) She is dead.
(b) Her grandfather is still alive.
(c) The house appears as it was.
(d) She is happy.
10. What do people call "the bones of the earth," according to the author?
(a) The trees of winter.
(b) A dry pond.
(c) The granite outcroppings in winter fields.
(d) A rock outcropping in a valley.
11. Who is Marge?
(a) William's wife.
(b) William's middle child.
(c) Abigail's oldest child.
(d) Abigail's youngest child.
12. What had William hunted as a boy for a quarter for each skin?
13. When did the forest fires take place in the Smokies?
14. What poetry does the elder Abigail enjoy reading out loud before she leaves for college?
15. Who ran off to a ship at Savannah and disappeared?
(a) William's nephew.
(b) The landlady's husband.
(c) Lorena's brother.
(d) An earlier William Howland.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Abigail's imagination, who stands next to her on the porch in the first Book of Abigail?
2. When Abigail was a child, who slept in the great tester bed in the south bedroom?
3. What is the river compared to in the first Book of Abigail?
4. When William is called to war, where does he go?
5. What looks like a choppy sea to Abigail?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)