|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When William comes across a still, the whiskey is aging in ______________.
(a) Oak kegs.
(b) Cedar kegs.
(c) Pine barrel.
(d) Copper pot.
2. Who are Calvin and John Robertson?
(a) Moonshiners in Wade County.
(b) Cousins of the Howlands.
(c) Brothers who run the Washington Hotel in town.
(d) Farmhands who work at the Howland estate.
3. In the first Book of Abigail, what month is it?
4. What is a 'painter' as mentioned in the Book of William?
(a) Someone who paints barns.
(b) A bobcat.
(c) A type of slave.
(d) An artist.
5. What is Lorena diagnosed with three days after giving birth to a son?
(d) The fever.
6. What is the eye color of the last William Howland's eyes?
7. What is quiet and still and dry in the first chapter?
(a) The Howland estate.
(b) November evenings.
(c) The river.
(d) The trees.
8. Whom does Abigail envision as saying, "just like a Howland"?
(a) Margaret's children.
(b) Her ex-husband's family.
(c) The county.
(d) The servants.
9. Who ran off to a ship at Savannah and disappeared?
(a) Lorena's brother.
(b) An earlier William Howland.
(c) William's nephew.
(d) The landlady's husband.
10. How many bedrooms does Annie count in the Howland home?
11. What poetry does the elder Abigail enjoy reading out loud before she leaves for college?
12. What did William give his daughter as a homecoming surprise after her first year of college?
(a) A trip to Europe.
(b) A horse.
(c) A gazebo.
(d) A book of poetry.
13. Who has fallen into a weaving of invisible threads at the beginning of the book?
14. When William tells his granddaughter, "I used to think she'd glow in the night," to whom is he referring?
(b) His mother.
(d) His daughter, Abigail.
15. What looks like a choppy sea to Abigail?
(a) The water inside the watering tin.
(b) The porch.
(c) The front yard.
(d) The river.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Abigail was a child, who slept in the great tester bed in the south bedroom?
2. At the time of Abigail's wedding to Gregory Mason, how long has Oliver worked for William and in what capacity?
3. Why are there no pictures of Lorena Adams Howland?
4. Who is surrounded by "tiers of flesh"?
5. Who says, "liars' tongues drop off"?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)