|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Abner Carmichael live?
(a) In the biggest brick house in New Church.
(b) In a shack in the middle of the swamp.
(c) In a houseboat in Mobile.
(d) In a floating house in New Church.
2. In the first chapter, who built the porch that Abigail stands on?
(a) Her great-great-great grandfather.
(b) Her great-grandfather.
(c) Her great-great grandfather.
(d) Her great-great-great-great-grandfather.
3. Who is Marge?
(a) Abigail's oldest child.
(b) William's middle child.
(c) William's wife.
(d) Abigail's youngest child.
4. What is a 'painter' as mentioned in the Book of William?
(a) A type of slave.
(b) Someone who paints barns.
(c) An artist.
(d) A bobcat.
5. Why doesn't Abigail want to replace the fence?
(a) She wants to remember.
(b) It is more practical to keep it.
(c) She has no money.
(d) She has no one to do the work.
6. Who says that William's decision to remain a widower is indecent?
(a) Annie, his sister.
(b) Mariah Peters.
(c) Abigail, his daughter.
(d) Lucy Whittemore.
7. What is the river compared to in the first Book of Abigail?
(a) A dried up stream.
(b) A roaring lion.
(c) A black pit of nothingness.
(d) An old mirror.
8. What do people call "the bones of the earth," according to the author?
(a) The granite outcroppings in winter fields.
(b) A rock outcropping in a valley.
(c) The trees of winter.
(d) A dry pond.
9. What is William's first step in the adventure of going into the swamp?
(a) He cleans his guns.
(b) He packs food.
(c) He draws a map.
(d) He buys a skiff.
10. Whom does Abigail envision as saying, "just like a Howland"?
(a) Her ex-husband's family.
(b) The county.
(c) Margaret's children.
(d) The servants.
11. What attacks William so that he coats his body with muck?
12. What had William hunted as a boy for a quarter for each skin?
13. In the first Book of Abigail, what does Abigail believe she sees over the river?
(a) A thick mist.
(b) A person.
(c) An owl.
(d) A huge fish.
14. What is like "stain on a sponge"?
(a) The creeping night.
(b) Dryness of the skin.
(c) The light on the porch.
(d) Water spilled onto the porch.
15. What are the names of Margaret's children?
(a) Will, Marge, and Nina.
(b) Johnny, Marge,and Crissy.
(c) Robert, Nina, and Crissy.
(d) Robert, Lena, and Oliver.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Abigail's imagination, who stands next to her on the porch in the first Book of Abigail?
2. What is quiet and still and dry in the first chapter?
3. What is Lorena diagnosed with three days after giving birth to a son?
4. Who has fallen into a weaving of invisible threads at the beginning of the book?
5. What does Abigail do immediately before watering?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)