|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the time of Abigail's wedding to Gregory Mason, how long has Oliver worked for William and in what capacity?
(a) 30 years; handyman/overseer.
(b) 20 years; general servant.
(c) 25 years; handyman/helper/manager.
(d) 35 years; cook/helper.
2. Who are Calvin and John Robertson?
(a) Cousins of the Howlands.
(b) Farmhands who work at the Howland estate.
(c) Moonshiners in Wade County.
(d) Brothers who run the Washington Hotel in town.
3. Whose shrieking does Abigail miss in the first Book of Abigail?
(a) The townspeople.
(b) Two whipporwills.
(c) Her ex-husband.
(d) Her children.
4. How does Abigail see Margaret's son carrying himself?
(a) As if he owns the world.
(b) As the young boy she grew up with.
(c) As if in fear.
(d) As an old man.
5. When did the forest fires take place in the Smokies?
6. What attacks William so that he coats his body with muck?
7. What did William bring to eat for his trip into the swamp?
(a) Bacon, cornbread, and apples.
(b) Beef jerky, corn muffins, and persimmons.
(c) Ham, biscuits, and berries.
(d) Bacon, bread, and pears.
8. What does the owl have for supper in the first Book of Abigail?
(a) Small bird.
9. In Abigail's imagination, who stands next to her on the porch in the first Book of Abigail?
10. In the first Book of Abigail, what month is it?
11. How many bedrooms does Annie count in the Howland home?
12. Why doesn't Abigail want to replace the fence?
(a) She wants to remember.
(b) She has no one to do the work.
(c) She has no money.
(d) It is more practical to keep it.
13. What is William's first step in the adventure of going into the swamp?
(a) He draws a map.
(b) He packs food.
(c) He cleans his guns.
(d) He buys a skiff.
14. What is quiet and still and dry in the first chapter?
(a) The Howland estate.
(b) The river.
(c) November evenings.
(d) The trees.
15. Who ran off to a ship at Savannah and disappeared?
(a) Lorena's brother.
(b) An earlier William Howland.
(c) William's nephew.
(d) The landlady's husband.
Short Answer Questions
1. From whose viewpoint is the first Book of Abigail written.
2. When Abigail is being honest with herself, she find herself wishing that ______________was not alive.
3. Where are the Robertsons rumored to build the latest addition to their business?
4. Who is Michael Campbell?
5. Who says, "liars' tongues drop off"?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)