|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What looks like a choppy sea to Abigail?
(a) The water inside the watering tin.
(b) The front yard.
(c) The porch.
(d) The river.
2. What is flying around the porch in the first chapter?
3. To whom does William admit being able to stand for his whole life, so he can manage a little more?
(b) Calvin Robertson.
(d) Rufus Matthews.
4. What is the river compared to in the first Book of Abigail?
(a) A roaring lion.
(b) An old mirror.
(c) A dried up stream.
(d) A black pit of nothingness.
5. What attacks William so that he coats his body with muck?
6. Where have the oldest children left to go to school at in the first chapter?
(b) New Orleans.
7. Who says, "liars' tongues drop off"?
8. When Abigail was a child, who slept in the great tester bed in the south bedroom?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her grandfather.
9. What do people call "the bones of the earth," according to the author?
(a) The granite outcroppings in winter fields.
(b) The trees of winter.
(c) A rock outcropping in a valley.
(d) A dry pond.
10. Whose shrieking does Abigail miss in the first Book of Abigail?
(a) The townspeople.
(b) Her ex-husband.
(c) Her children.
(d) Two whipporwills.
11. How old is William when he thinks that he is old?
12. What is quiet and still and dry in the first chapter?
(a) The Howland estate.
(b) The river.
(c) The trees.
(d) November evenings.
13. Who is Michael Campbell?
(a) William's cousin who is a doctor.
(b) William's brother-in-law.
(c) The Madison City postmaster.
(d) William's cousin who is a lawyer.
14. What illusion does Abigail have in the first chapter?
(a) She is dead.
(b) Her grandfather is still alive.
(c) The house appears as it was.
(d) She is happy.
15. From where did the tomb builder come?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are Calvin and John Robertson?
2. Who says, "Not being pretty...it worries a girl"?
3. Who is best man at Abigail's wedding to Gregory Mason?
4. What is Abigail's son's name?
5. How many bedrooms does Annie count in the Howland home?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)