|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What mammal does William see at the large freshwater lake in the middle of the swamp?
(a) Black panther.
2. What is flying around the porch in the first chapter?
3. From what state did William Marshall Howland originally come?
4. In the first chapter, who built the porch that Abigail stands on?
(a) Her great-grandfather.
(b) Her great-great grandfather.
(c) Her great-great-great-great-grandfather.
(d) Her great-great-great grandfather.
5. What does the owl have for supper in the first Book of Abigail?
(d) Small bird.
6. At the time of Abigail's wedding to Gregory Mason, how long has Oliver worked for William and in what capacity?
(a) 35 years; cook/helper.
(b) 30 years; handyman/overseer.
(c) 25 years; handyman/helper/manager.
(d) 20 years; general servant.
7. What is quiet and still and dry in the first chapter?
(a) The trees.
(b) The river.
(c) The Howland estate.
(d) November evenings.
8. What looks like a choppy sea to Abigail?
(a) The porch.
(b) The river.
(c) The front yard.
(d) The water inside the watering tin.
9. Who says, "liars' tongues drop off"?
10. In the first chapter, how long has it been since Abigail has seen one of Margaret's children?
(a) A year.
(b) A month.
(c) Three months.
(d) Five years.
11. In what direction has the sun set at the beginning of "The Keepers of the House"?
(a) Due west.
(b) The clouds keep Abigail from seeing the sun set.
12. What had William hunted as a boy for a quarter for each skin?
13. How many bedrooms does Annie count in the Howland home?
14. Who is surrounded by "tiers of flesh"?
(a) Annie Howland Campbell.
(b) William Howland.
(c) Howland Campbell.
(d) Gregory Mason.
15. What is Lorena diagnosed with three days after giving birth to a son?
(d) The fever.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the forest fires take place in the Smokies?
2. Which one of Margaret's children has Abigail recently seen in the first chapter?
3. What does Abigail see when she looks east and north in the first Book of Abigail?
4. Who ran off to a ship at Savannah and disappeared?
5. How did William Marshall Howland die?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)