|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What river is referred to at the beginning of the book?
(a) Canadian River.
(b) Providence River.
(c) Natchez River.
(d) The Mississippi.
2. What poetry does the elder Abigail enjoy reading out loud before she leaves for college?
3. What does Abigail see in place of the fence?
(c) Wood for a new fence.
(d) Cherokee rose branches.
4. What does Abigail see when she looks east and north in the first Book of Abigail?
(a) Sharp and clear trees on the ridges.
(b) Bare fields.
(d) Snow-covered peaks.
5. Who says, "Wind's to the west"?
6. Who is surrounded by "tiers of flesh"?
(a) William Howland.
(b) Annie Howland Campbell.
(c) Howland Campbell.
(d) Gregory Mason.
7. What mammal does William see at the large freshwater lake in the middle of the swamp?
(a) Black panther.
8. How old is William when he thinks that he is old?
9. Who has fallen into a weaving of invisible threads at the beginning of the book?
10. In the first Book of Abigail, what month is it?
11. When William comes across a still, the whiskey is aging in ______________.
(a) Pine barrel.
(b) Cedar kegs.
(c) Oak kegs.
(d) Copper pot.
12. What does the owl have for supper in the first Book of Abigail?
(c) Small bird.
13. What is quiet and still and dry in the first chapter?
(a) The river.
(b) The trees.
(c) The Howland estate.
(d) November evenings.
14. In Abigail's imagination, who stands next to her on the porch in the first Book of Abigail?
15. What is squirming "helplessly on the boards" of the porch?
(a) A mouse.
(c) A bird with a broken wing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where have the oldest children left to go to school at in the first chapter?
2. From whose viewpoint is the first Book of Abigail written.
3. From what state did William Marshall Howland originally come?
4. When William tells his granddaughter, "I used to think she'd glow in the night," to whom is he referring?
5. In the first chapter, who built the porch that Abigail stands on?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)