|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are there no pictures of Lorena Adams Howland?
(a) They burned in a house fire.
(b) They were lost over the years.
(c) Lorena refused to allow her picture to be taken.
(d) William burned them one afternoon.
2. What is squirming "helplessly on the boards" of the porch?
(c) A bird with a broken wing.
(d) A mouse.
3. What looks like a choppy sea to Abigail?
(a) The water inside the watering tin.
(b) The river.
(c) The porch.
(d) The front yard.
4. When William is called to war, where does he go?
(a) Camp Reynolds in Savannah.
(d) Camp Martin in New Orleans.
5. Who ran off to a ship at Savannah and disappeared?
(a) An earlier William Howland.
(b) The landlady's husband.
(c) William's nephew.
(d) Lorena's brother.
6. What does Abigail see in place of the fence?
(c) Wood for a new fence.
(d) Cherokee rose branches.
7. Who says, "Not being pretty...it worries a girl"?
(a) The older Abigail.
(b) The younger Abigail.
8. Where does William's daughter go to college?
(a) Agnes Scott College in Georgia.
(b) Mary Baldwin in Virginia.
(c) University of Montevallo in Alabama.
(d) H. Sophie Newcomb Memorial College in Louisiana.
9. When William tells his granddaughter, "I used to think she'd glow in the night," to whom is he referring?
(a) His mother.
(b) His daughter, Abigail.
10. What poetry does the elder Abigail enjoy reading out loud before she leaves for college?
11. How does Abigail see Margaret's son carrying himself?
(a) As if in fear.
(b) As an old man.
(c) As the young boy she grew up with.
(d) As if he owns the world.
12. What do people call "the bones of the earth," according to the author?
(a) The granite outcroppings in winter fields.
(b) A rock outcropping in a valley.
(c) The trees of winter.
(d) A dry pond.
13. Who says, "liars' tongues drop off"?
14. When Abigail was a child, who slept in the great tester bed in the south bedroom?
(a) Her grandfather.
(d) Her mother.
15. To whom does William admit being able to stand for his whole life, so he can manage a little more?
(b) Calvin Robertson.
(c) Rufus Matthews.
Short Answer Questions
1. From whose viewpoint is the first Book of Abigail written.
2. How many people are among the "parade of figures" that Abigail sees in her mind?
3. What is trainasse?
4. What is Lorena diagnosed with three days after giving birth to a son?
5. In the first chapter, who built the porch that Abigail stands on?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)