|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Abner Carmichael live?
(a) In a floating house in New Church.
(b) In a shack in the middle of the swamp.
(c) In a houseboat in Mobile.
(d) In the biggest brick house in New Church.
2. Whom does Abigail envision as saying, "just like a Howland"?
(a) Margaret's children.
(b) The county.
(c) Her ex-husband's family.
(d) The servants.
3. Who is passed out in the corner after the groom's breakfast?
(a) Mr. Bannister.
(b) Howland Campbell.
(c) Gregory Mason.
(d) Harry Armstrong.
4. What river is referred to at the beginning of the book?
(a) The Mississippi.
(b) Canadian River.
(c) Natchez River.
(d) Providence River.
5. Who says, "Not being pretty...it worries a girl"?
(b) The older Abigail.
(c) The younger Abigail.
6. What is quiet and still and dry in the first chapter?
(a) The trees.
(b) The river.
(c) November evenings.
(d) The Howland estate.
7. Who is Marge?
(a) William's middle child.
(b) William's wife.
(c) Abigail's youngest child.
(d) Abigail's oldest child.
8. Who is surrounded by "tiers of flesh"?
(a) Annie Howland Campbell.
(b) Gregory Mason.
(c) William Howland.
(d) Howland Campbell.
9. In the first Book of Abigail, what month is it?
10. What are the names of Margaret's children?
(a) Robert, Nina, and Crissy.
(b) Robert, Lena, and Oliver.
(c) Johnny, Marge,and Crissy.
(d) Will, Marge, and Nina.
11. When William tells his granddaughter, "I used to think she'd glow in the night," to whom is he referring?
(b) His mother.
(d) His daughter, Abigail.
12. When Abigail is being honest with herself, she find herself wishing that ______________was not alive.
(a) John, her husband.
13. Who has fallen into a weaving of invisible threads at the beginning of the book?
14. Which one of Margaret's children has Abigail recently seen in the first chapter?
15. Who says that William's decision to remain a widower is indecent?
(a) Mariah Peters.
(b) Lucy Whittemore.
(c) Annie, his sister.
(d) Abigail, his daughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the first chapter, how long has it been since Abigail has seen one of Margaret's children?
2. What do people call "the bones of the earth," according to the author?
3. From whose viewpoint is the first Book of Abigail written.
4. What attacks William so that he coats his body with muck?
5. When William is called to war, where does he go?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)