|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do people call "the bones of the earth," according to the author?
(a) A rock outcropping in a valley.
(b) The granite outcroppings in winter fields.
(c) A dry pond.
(d) The trees of winter.
2. When did the forest fires take place in the Smokies?
3. Where have the oldest children left to go to school at in the first chapter?
(c) New Orleans.
4. When William is called to war, where does he go?
(a) Camp Martin in New Orleans.
(c) Camp Reynolds in Savannah.
5. What is like "stain on a sponge"?
(a) Water spilled onto the porch.
(b) The light on the porch.
(c) The creeping night.
(d) Dryness of the skin.
6. Who are Calvin and John Robertson?
(a) Cousins of the Howlands.
(b) Farmhands who work at the Howland estate.
(c) Brothers who run the Washington Hotel in town.
(d) Moonshiners in Wade County.
7. Who says, "liars' tongues drop off"?
8. What had William hunted as a boy for a quarter for each skin?
9. What river is referred to at the beginning of the book?
(a) Providence River.
(b) Natchez River.
(c) Canadian River.
(d) The Mississippi.
10. What is squirming "helplessly on the boards" of the porch?
(a) A bird with a broken wing.
(d) A mouse.
11. In the first Book of Abigail, what does Abigail believe she sees over the river?
(a) An owl.
(b) A person.
(c) A huge fish.
(d) A thick mist.
12. What is William's first step in the adventure of going into the swamp?
(a) He draws a map.
(b) He cleans his guns.
(c) He packs food.
(d) He buys a skiff.
13. Where does Abner Carmichael live?
(a) In a houseboat in Mobile.
(b) In a shack in the middle of the swamp.
(c) In the biggest brick house in New Church.
(d) In a floating house in New Church.
14. What is the eye color of the last William Howland's eyes?
15. What is flying around the porch in the first chapter?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who ran off to a ship at Savannah and disappeared?
2. Who has fallen into a weaving of invisible threads at the beginning of the book?
3. How many people are among the "parade of figures" that Abigail sees in her mind?
4. Who is surrounded by "tiers of flesh"?
5. When William tells his granddaughter, "I used to think she'd glow in the night," to whom is he referring?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)