|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is passed out in the corner after the groom's breakfast?
(a) Harry Armstrong.
(b) Howland Campbell.
(c) Gregory Mason.
(d) Mr. Bannister.
2. When Abigail is being honest with herself, she find herself wishing that ______________was not alive.
(b) John, her husband.
3. What is like "stain on a sponge"?
(a) The creeping night.
(b) The light on the porch.
(c) Dryness of the skin.
(d) Water spilled onto the porch.
4. What did William give his daughter as a homecoming surprise after her first year of college?
(a) A horse.
(b) A book of poetry.
(c) A gazebo.
(d) A trip to Europe.
5. What does Abigail do immediately before watering?
(a) Puts on a sweater.
(b) Turns on the porch light.
(c) Tells the children to wash for dinner.
6. Which one of Margaret's children has Abigail recently seen in the first chapter?
7. What illusion does Abigail have in the first chapter?
(a) She is happy.
(b) The house appears as it was.
(c) Her grandfather is still alive.
(d) She is dead.
8. What mammal does William see at the large freshwater lake in the middle of the swamp?
(c) Black panther.
9. To whom does William admit being able to stand for his whole life, so he can manage a little more?
(a) Calvin Robertson.
(c) Rufus Matthews.
10. Who says that William's decision to remain a widower is indecent?
(a) Abigail, his daughter.
(b) Mariah Peters.
(c) Lucy Whittemore.
(d) Annie, his sister.
11. What is Abigail's son's name?
12. Who has fallen into a weaving of invisible threads at the beginning of the book?
13. Who says, "Wind's to the west"?
14. In the first chapter, who built the porch that Abigail stands on?
(a) Her great-great grandfather.
(b) Her great-great-great-great-grandfather.
(c) Her great-grandfather.
(d) Her great-great-great grandfather.
15. At the time of Abigail's wedding to Gregory Mason, how long has Oliver worked for William and in what capacity?
(a) 25 years; handyman/helper/manager.
(b) 35 years; cook/helper.
(c) 30 years; handyman/overseer.
(d) 20 years; general servant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is squirming "helplessly on the boards" of the porch?
2. From what state did William Marshall Howland originally come?
3. What poetry does the elder Abigail enjoy reading out loud before she leaves for college?
4. How does Abigail see Margaret's son carrying himself?
5. What is the river compared to in the first Book of Abigail?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)