|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is squirming "helplessly on the boards" of the porch?
(a) A bird with a broken wing.
(d) A mouse.
2. Whom does Abigail envision as saying, "just like a Howland"?
(a) Her ex-husband's family.
(b) Margaret's children.
(c) The county.
(d) The servants.
3. Where does Abner Carmichael live?
(a) In a floating house in New Church.
(b) In the biggest brick house in New Church.
(c) In a shack in the middle of the swamp.
(d) In a houseboat in Mobile.
4. Which one of Margaret's children has Abigail recently seen in the first chapter?
5. Who says, "Not being pretty...it worries a girl"?
(a) The younger Abigail.
(d) The older Abigail.
6. Where have the oldest children left to go to school at in the first chapter?
(c) New Orleans.
7. How old is William when he thinks that he is old?
8. From whose viewpoint is the first Book of Abigail written.
(b) Abigail's grandfather's.
(c) Abigail's daughter's.
(d) Abigail's mother's.
9. To whom does William admit being able to stand for his whole life, so he can manage a little more?
(b) Rufus Matthews.
(d) Calvin Robertson.
10. Who ran off to a ship at Savannah and disappeared?
(a) An earlier William Howland.
(b) William's nephew.
(c) The landlady's husband.
(d) Lorena's brother.
11. How many people are among the "parade of figures" that Abigail sees in her mind?
12. In the first Book of Abigail, what month is it?
13. How many bedrooms does Annie count in the Howland home?
14. Whose shrieking does Abigail miss in the first Book of Abigail?
(a) Her children.
(b) Her ex-husband.
(c) The townspeople.
(d) Two whipporwills.
15. What does Abigail do immediately before watering?
(a) Puts on a sweater.
(b) Tells the children to wash for dinner.
(c) Turns on the porch light.
Short Answer Questions
1. What looks like a choppy sea to Abigail?
2. What do people call "the bones of the earth," according to the author?
3. What did William bring to eat for his trip into the swamp?
4. Who is Michael Campbell?
5. Who is Marge?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)