|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is William when he thinks that he is old?
2. What is a 'painter' as mentioned in the Book of William?
(a) Someone who paints barns.
(b) An artist.
(c) A type of slave.
(d) A bobcat.
3. In the first Book of Abigail, what month is it?
4. What is squirming "helplessly on the boards" of the porch?
(a) A bird with a broken wing.
(c) A mouse.
5. When did the forest fires take place in the Smokies?
6. What river is referred to at the beginning of the book?
(a) Natchez River.
(b) Providence River.
(c) Canadian River.
(d) The Mississippi.
7. When Abigail was a child, who slept in the great tester bed in the south bedroom?
(b) Her grandfather.
(d) Her mother.
8. From whose viewpoint is the first Book of Abigail written.
(b) Abigail's mother's.
(c) Abigail's daughter's.
(d) Abigail's grandfather's.
9. What illusion does Abigail have in the first chapter?
(a) Her grandfather is still alive.
(b) The house appears as it was.
(c) She is happy.
(d) She is dead.
10. In Abigail's imagination, who stands next to her on the porch in the first Book of Abigail?
11. What is Abigail's son's name?
12. What are the names of Margaret's children?
(a) Johnny, Marge,and Crissy.
(b) Will, Marge, and Nina.
(c) Robert, Nina, and Crissy.
(d) Robert, Lena, and Oliver.
13. Which one of Margaret's children has Abigail recently seen in the first chapter?
14. At the time of Abigail's wedding to Gregory Mason, how long has Oliver worked for William and in what capacity?
(a) 30 years; handyman/overseer.
(b) 25 years; handyman/helper/manager.
(c) 20 years; general servant.
(d) 35 years; cook/helper.
15. What does Abigail see when she looks east and north in the first Book of Abigail?
(a) Sharp and clear trees on the ridges.
(b) Snow-covered peaks.
(d) Bare fields.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Abigail see Margaret's son carrying himself?
2. What do people call "the bones of the earth," according to the author?
3. Who is Marge?
4. Who is surrounded by "tiers of flesh"?
5. What is the eye color of the last William Howland's eyes?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)