|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is best man at Abigail's wedding to Gregory Mason?
(a) Howland Campbell.
(b) Rufus Matthews.
(c) Harry Armstrong.
(d) Calvin Robertson.
2. From what state did William Marshall Howland originally come?
3. What does the owl have for supper in the first Book of Abigail?
(b) Small bird.
4. Who says that William's decision to remain a widower is indecent?
(a) Lucy Whittemore.
(b) Abigail, his daughter.
(c) Mariah Peters.
(d) Annie, his sister.
5. How many people are among the "parade of figures" that Abigail sees in her mind?
6. In Abigail's imagination, who stands next to her on the porch in the first Book of Abigail?
7. Who is surrounded by "tiers of flesh"?
(a) Annie Howland Campbell.
(b) Howland Campbell.
(c) William Howland.
(d) Gregory Mason.
8. Who is passed out in the corner after the groom's breakfast?
(a) Mr. Bannister.
(b) Gregory Mason.
(c) Harry Armstrong.
(d) Howland Campbell.
9. Who says, "Wind's to the west"?
10. What does Abigail see when she looks east and north in the first Book of Abigail?
(a) Bare fields.
(b) Snow-covered peaks.
(d) Sharp and clear trees on the ridges.
11. When William tells his granddaughter, "I used to think she'd glow in the night," to whom is he referring?
(b) His mother.
(c) His daughter, Abigail.
12. Who are Calvin and John Robertson?
(a) Cousins of the Howlands.
(b) Brothers who run the Washington Hotel in town.
(c) Farmhands who work at the Howland estate.
(d) Moonshiners in Wade County.
13. Why doesn't Abigail want to replace the fence?
(a) She has no money.
(b) It is more practical to keep it.
(c) She wants to remember.
(d) She has no one to do the work.
14. What is likker?
(a) Alcohol made in stills in the South.
(b) A type of hunting dog.
(c) A species of cotton.
(d) A medicinal plant.
15. Who says, "Not being pretty...it worries a girl"?
(a) The younger Abigail.
(c) The older Abigail.
Short Answer Questions
1. What poetry does the elder Abigail enjoy reading out loud before she leaves for college?
2. What do people call "the bones of the earth," according to the author?
3. What looks like a choppy sea to Abigail?
4. What illusion does Abigail have in the first chapter?
5. In what direction has the sun set at the beginning of "The Keepers of the House"?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)