|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did William give his daughter as a homecoming surprise after her first year of college?
(a) A gazebo.
(b) A trip to Europe.
(c) A book of poetry.
(d) A horse.
2. Who is Michael Campbell?
(a) William's cousin who is a lawyer.
(b) William's brother-in-law.
(c) The Madison City postmaster.
(d) William's cousin who is a doctor.
3. Where does Abner Carmichael live?
(a) In a shack in the middle of the swamp.
(b) In a floating house in New Church.
(c) In the biggest brick house in New Church.
(d) In a houseboat in Mobile.
4. In the first Book of Abigail, what month is it?
5. What is the river compared to in the first Book of Abigail?
(a) A dried up stream.
(b) A roaring lion.
(c) A black pit of nothingness.
(d) An old mirror.
6. What illusion does Abigail have in the first chapter?
(a) She is dead.
(b) Her grandfather is still alive.
(c) She is happy.
(d) The house appears as it was.
7. Whom does Abigail envision as saying, "just like a Howland"?
(a) Her ex-husband's family.
(b) The county.
(c) The servants.
(d) Margaret's children.
8. To whom does William admit being able to stand for his whole life, so he can manage a little more?
(a) Rufus Matthews.
(b) Calvin Robertson.
9. From what state did William Marshall Howland originally come?
10. How many people are among the "parade of figures" that Abigail sees in her mind?
11. What attacks William so that he coats his body with muck?
12. Why doesn't Abigail want to replace the fence?
(a) She wants to remember.
(b) It is more practical to keep it.
(c) She has no money.
(d) She has no one to do the work.
13. When Abigail was a child, who slept in the great tester bed in the south bedroom?
(b) Her grandfather.
(d) Her mother.
14. What poetry does the elder Abigail enjoy reading out loud before she leaves for college?
15. At the time of Abigail's wedding to Gregory Mason, how long has Oliver worked for William and in what capacity?
(a) 35 years; cook/helper.
(b) 25 years; handyman/helper/manager.
(c) 20 years; general servant.
(d) 30 years; handyman/overseer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of Margaret's children has Abigail recently seen in the first chapter?
2. What does the owl have for supper in the first Book of Abigail?
3. Who says, "liars' tongues drop off"?
4. Who ran off to a ship at Savannah and disappeared?
5. Where are the Robertsons rumored to build the latest addition to their business?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)