|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Abner Carmichael live?
(a) In a houseboat in Mobile.
(b) In the biggest brick house in New Church.
(c) In a shack in the middle of the swamp.
(d) In a floating house in New Church.
2. What did William give his daughter as a homecoming surprise after her first year of college?
(a) A trip to Europe.
(b) A book of poetry.
(c) A gazebo.
(d) A horse.
3. How many people are among the "parade of figures" that Abigail sees in her mind?
4. When William is called to war, where does he go?
(b) Camp Martin in New Orleans.
(d) Camp Reynolds in Savannah.
5. How does Abigail see Margaret's son carrying himself?
(a) As if he owns the world.
(b) As the young boy she grew up with.
(c) As if in fear.
(d) As an old man.
6. What is quiet and still and dry in the first chapter?
(a) The Howland estate.
(b) The trees.
(c) November evenings.
(d) The river.
7. Where does William's daughter go to college?
(a) University of Montevallo in Alabama.
(b) H. Sophie Newcomb Memorial College in Louisiana.
(c) Agnes Scott College in Georgia.
(d) Mary Baldwin in Virginia.
8. What does Abigail do immediately before watering?
(a) Puts on a sweater.
(c) Tells the children to wash for dinner.
(d) Turns on the porch light.
9. What attacks William so that he coats his body with muck?
10. When William tells his granddaughter, "I used to think she'd glow in the night," to whom is he referring?
(c) His daughter, Abigail.
(d) His mother.
11. In the first Book of Abigail, what month is it?
12. From where did the tomb builder come?
13. To whom does William admit being able to stand for his whole life, so he can manage a little more?
(b) Calvin Robertson.
(d) Rufus Matthews.
14. In the first chapter, how long has it been since Abigail has seen one of Margaret's children?
(a) Three months.
(b) Five years.
(c) A year.
(d) A month.
15. What river is referred to at the beginning of the book?
(a) The Mississippi.
(b) Canadian River.
(c) Providence River.
(d) Natchez River.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is flying around the porch in the first chapter?
2. What did William bring to eat for his trip into the swamp?
3. How old is William when he thinks that he is old?
4. Whose shrieking does Abigail miss in the first Book of Abigail?
5. Who says that William's decision to remain a widower is indecent?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)