|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are Calvin and John Robertson?
(a) Cousins of the Howlands.
(b) Brothers who run the Washington Hotel in town.
(c) Farmhands who work at the Howland estate.
(d) Moonshiners in Wade County.
2. When Abigail is being honest with herself, she find herself wishing that ______________was not alive.
(a) John, her husband.
3. When William tells his granddaughter, "I used to think she'd glow in the night," to whom is he referring?
(a) His mother.
(b) His daughter, Abigail.
4. Which one of Margaret's children has Abigail recently seen in the first chapter?
5. Who ran off to a ship at Savannah and disappeared?
(a) An earlier William Howland.
(b) The landlady's husband.
(c) William's nephew.
(d) Lorena's brother.
6. How old is William when he thinks that he is old?
7. When did the forest fires take place in the Smokies?
8. What poetry does the elder Abigail enjoy reading out loud before she leaves for college?
9. What is a 'painter' as mentioned in the Book of William?
(a) An artist.
(b) Someone who paints barns.
(c) A type of slave.
(d) A bobcat.
10. What is Abigail's son's name?
11. Who is Michael Campbell?
(a) William's cousin who is a doctor.
(b) William's brother-in-law.
(c) The Madison City postmaster.
(d) William's cousin who is a lawyer.
12. What is like "stain on a sponge"?
(a) The creeping night.
(b) Water spilled onto the porch.
(c) Dryness of the skin.
(d) The light on the porch.
13. What does the owl have for supper in the first Book of Abigail?
(b) Small bird.
14. What is the eye color of the last William Howland's eyes?
15. Why are there no pictures of Lorena Adams Howland?
(a) William burned them one afternoon.
(b) Lorena refused to allow her picture to be taken.
(c) They were lost over the years.
(d) They burned in a house fire.
Short Answer Questions
1. When William comes across a still, the whiskey is aging in ______________.
2. Who is Marge?
3. Where have the oldest children left to go to school at in the first chapter?
4. In the first Book of Abigail, what does Abigail believe she sees over the river?
5. In what direction has the sun set at the beginning of "The Keepers of the House"?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)