|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does William's daughter go to college?
(a) University of Montevallo in Alabama.
(b) H. Sophie Newcomb Memorial College in Louisiana.
(c) Mary Baldwin in Virginia.
(d) Agnes Scott College in Georgia.
2. What do people call "the bones of the earth," according to the author?
(a) A dry pond.
(b) The trees of winter.
(c) A rock outcropping in a valley.
(d) The granite outcroppings in winter fields.
3. In the first Book of Abigail, what does Abigail believe she sees over the river?
(a) A thick mist.
(b) An owl.
(c) A huge fish.
(d) A person.
4. Which one of Margaret's children has Abigail recently seen in the first chapter?
5. Who has fallen into a weaving of invisible threads at the beginning of the book?
6. What poetry does the elder Abigail enjoy reading out loud before she leaves for college?
7. Whose shrieking does Abigail miss in the first Book of Abigail?
(a) The townspeople.
(b) Her children.
(c) Two whipporwills.
(d) Her ex-husband.
8. In the first chapter, how long has it been since Abigail has seen one of Margaret's children?
(a) Three months.
(b) Five years.
(c) A month.
(d) A year.
9. What is quiet and still and dry in the first chapter?
(a) The Howland estate.
(b) November evenings.
(c) The river.
(d) The trees.
10. Who is Marge?
(a) Abigail's youngest child.
(b) William's middle child.
(c) William's wife.
(d) Abigail's oldest child.
11. When William is called to war, where does he go?
(a) Camp Reynolds in Savannah.
(b) Camp Martin in New Orleans.
12. What is Abigail's son's name?
13. What is squirming "helplessly on the boards" of the porch?
(a) A mouse.
(b) A bird with a broken wing.
14. What mammal does William see at the large freshwater lake in the middle of the swamp?
(b) Black panther.
15. What is flying around the porch in the first chapter?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what direction has the sun set at the beginning of "The Keepers of the House"?
2. Who is surrounded by "tiers of flesh"?
3. When Abigail is being honest with herself, she find herself wishing that ______________was not alive.
4. Who are Calvin and John Robertson?
5. In the first Book of Abigail, who avoids the porch light?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)