|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a 'painter' as mentioned in the Book of William?
(a) A bobcat.
(b) An artist.
(c) Someone who paints barns.
(d) A type of slave.
2. When did the forest fires take place in the Smokies?
3. Who says, "Not being pretty...it worries a girl"?
(a) The older Abigail.
(b) The younger Abigail.
4. Whose shrieking does Abigail miss in the first Book of Abigail?
(a) Her children.
(b) Her ex-husband.
(c) The townspeople.
(d) Two whipporwills.
5. Who ran off to a ship at Savannah and disappeared?
(a) The landlady's husband.
(b) An earlier William Howland.
(c) William's nephew.
(d) Lorena's brother.
6. How many bedrooms does Annie count in the Howland home?
7. What does Abigail do immediately before watering?
(a) Turns on the porch light.
(b) Puts on a sweater.
(d) Tells the children to wash for dinner.
8. What is the eye color of the last William Howland's eyes?
9. Who says, "liars' tongues drop off"?
10. In the first Book of Abigail, who avoids the porch light?
(b) A screech owl.
(d) The cat.
11. When Abigail was a child, who slept in the great tester bed in the south bedroom?
(b) Her mother.
(d) Her grandfather.
12. What is Lorena diagnosed with three days after giving birth to a son?
(a) The fever.
13. At the time of Abigail's wedding to Gregory Mason, how long has Oliver worked for William and in what capacity?
(a) 20 years; general servant.
(b) 25 years; handyman/helper/manager.
(c) 35 years; cook/helper.
(d) 30 years; handyman/overseer.
14. What is flying around the porch in the first chapter?
15. What is William's first step in the adventure of going into the swamp?
(a) He packs food.
(b) He cleans his guns.
(c) He buys a skiff.
(d) He draws a map.
Short Answer Questions
1. What mammal does William see at the large freshwater lake in the middle of the swamp?
2. What attacks William so that he coats his body with muck?
3. Where does Abner Carmichael live?
4. What had William hunted as a boy for a quarter for each skin?
5. Where are the Robertsons rumored to build the latest addition to their business?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)