|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Lorena diagnosed with three days after giving birth to a son?
(c) The fever.
2. In the first chapter, who built the porch that Abigail stands on?
(a) Her great-great-great-great-grandfather.
(b) Her great-great grandfather.
(c) Her great-great-great grandfather.
(d) Her great-grandfather.
3. When Abigail was a child, who slept in the great tester bed in the south bedroom?
(a) Her grandfather.
(b) Her mother.
4. Which one of Margaret's children has Abigail recently seen in the first chapter?
5. When William is called to war, where does he go?
(a) Camp Martin in New Orleans.
(c) Camp Reynolds in Savannah.
6. What does Abigail see in place of the fence?
(c) Cherokee rose branches.
(d) Wood for a new fence.
7. In what direction has the sun set at the beginning of "The Keepers of the House"?
(b) The clouds keep Abigail from seeing the sun set.
(c) Due west.
8. How did William Marshall Howland die?
(b) Killed in the Civil War.
(d) Murdered by five Indians.
9. Where does William's daughter go to college?
(a) Agnes Scott College in Georgia.
(b) University of Montevallo in Alabama.
(c) Mary Baldwin in Virginia.
(d) H. Sophie Newcomb Memorial College in Louisiana.
10. At the time of Abigail's wedding to Gregory Mason, how long has Oliver worked for William and in what capacity?
(a) 20 years; general servant.
(b) 35 years; cook/helper.
(c) 30 years; handyman/overseer.
(d) 25 years; handyman/helper/manager.
11. What is trainasse?
(a) An animal found in the swamp.
(b) Cajun name for swamp water.
(c) Creole name for narrow tunnels in a marsh.
(d) Cajun name for the marsh.
12. Who is best man at Abigail's wedding to Gregory Mason?
(a) Howland Campbell.
(b) Harry Armstrong.
(c) Rufus Matthews.
(d) Calvin Robertson.
13. What does Abigail see when she looks east and north in the first Book of Abigail?
(a) Sharp and clear trees on the ridges.
(c) Snow-covered peaks.
(d) Bare fields.
14. What is flying around the porch in the first chapter?
15. What is the river compared to in the first Book of Abigail?
(a) A dried up stream.
(b) A roaring lion.
(c) An old mirror.
(d) A black pit of nothingness.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Marge?
2. What did William give his daughter as a homecoming surprise after her first year of college?
3. From whose viewpoint is the first Book of Abigail written.
4. How does Abigail see Margaret's son carrying himself?
5. In the first Book of Abigail, what does Abigail water?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)