|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What had William hunted as a boy for a quarter for each skin?
2. Why are there no pictures of Lorena Adams Howland?
(a) They were lost over the years.
(b) Lorena refused to allow her picture to be taken.
(c) They burned in a house fire.
(d) William burned them one afternoon.
3. Who says, "liars' tongues drop off"?
4. When Abigail was a child, who slept in the great tester bed in the south bedroom?
(b) Her grandfather.
(d) Her mother.
5. What did William give his daughter as a homecoming surprise after her first year of college?
(a) A book of poetry.
(b) A gazebo.
(c) A horse.
(d) A trip to Europe.
6. What looks like a choppy sea to Abigail?
(a) The porch.
(b) The front yard.
(c) The river.
(d) The water inside the watering tin.
7. What is Lorena diagnosed with three days after giving birth to a son?
(b) The fever.
8. Whom does Abigail envision as saying, "just like a Howland"?
(a) Margaret's children.
(b) The servants.
(c) The county.
(d) Her ex-husband's family.
9. What is a 'painter' as mentioned in the Book of William?
(a) Someone who paints barns.
(b) An artist.
(c) A bobcat.
(d) A type of slave.
10. What poetry does the elder Abigail enjoy reading out loud before she leaves for college?
11. At the time of Abigail's wedding to Gregory Mason, how long has Oliver worked for William and in what capacity?
(a) 20 years; general servant.
(b) 25 years; handyman/helper/manager.
(c) 35 years; cook/helper.
(d) 30 years; handyman/overseer.
12. In the first chapter, who built the porch that Abigail stands on?
(a) Her great-grandfather.
(b) Her great-great-great-great-grandfather.
(c) Her great-great-great grandfather.
(d) Her great-great grandfather.
13. What do people call "the bones of the earth," according to the author?
(a) A dry pond.
(b) The trees of winter.
(c) A rock outcropping in a valley.
(d) The granite outcroppings in winter fields.
14. Who is Marge?
(a) William's middle child.
(b) Abigail's oldest child.
(c) William's wife.
(d) Abigail's youngest child.
15. In the first Book of Abigail, what does Abigail believe she sees over the river?
(a) A huge fish.
(b) A thick mist.
(c) A person.
(d) An owl.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did William Marshall Howland die?
2. When William tells his granddaughter, "I used to think she'd glow in the night," to whom is he referring?
3. Who is Michael Campbell?
4. What is the eye color of the last William Howland's eyes?
5. What is squirming "helplessly on the boards" of the porch?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)