|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Abigail do immediately before watering?
(b) Puts on a sweater.
(c) Tells the children to wash for dinner.
(d) Turns on the porch light.
2. What is the eye color of the last William Howland's eyes?
3. What does Abigail see in place of the fence?
(a) Wood for a new fence.
(c) Cherokee rose branches.
4. Why are there no pictures of Lorena Adams Howland?
(a) William burned them one afternoon.
(b) Lorena refused to allow her picture to be taken.
(c) They burned in a house fire.
(d) They were lost over the years.
5. Whose shrieking does Abigail miss in the first Book of Abigail?
(a) Her ex-husband.
(b) Two whipporwills.
(c) Her children.
(d) The townspeople.
6. How did William Marshall Howland die?
(a) Killed in the Civil War.
(c) Murdered by five Indians.
7. Who is passed out in the corner after the groom's breakfast?
(a) Howland Campbell.
(b) Harry Armstrong.
(c) Gregory Mason.
(d) Mr. Bannister.
8. What did William bring to eat for his trip into the swamp?
(a) Bacon, cornbread, and apples.
(b) Beef jerky, corn muffins, and persimmons.
(c) Ham, biscuits, and berries.
(d) Bacon, bread, and pears.
9. At the time of Abigail's wedding to Gregory Mason, how long has Oliver worked for William and in what capacity?
(a) 30 years; handyman/overseer.
(b) 35 years; cook/helper.
(c) 25 years; handyman/helper/manager.
(d) 20 years; general servant.
10. To whom does William admit being able to stand for his whole life, so he can manage a little more?
(a) Rufus Matthews.
(b) Calvin Robertson.
11. Whom does Abigail envision as saying, "just like a Howland"?
(a) Her ex-husband's family.
(b) The servants.
(c) Margaret's children.
(d) The county.
12. When William comes across a still, the whiskey is aging in ______________.
(a) Cedar kegs.
(b) Pine barrel.
(c) Oak kegs.
(d) Copper pot.
13. In the first Book of Abigail, what month is it?
14. Who is Marge?
(a) William's middle child.
(b) Abigail's oldest child.
(c) William's wife.
(d) Abigail's youngest child.
15. What is trainasse?
(a) An animal found in the swamp.
(b) Creole name for narrow tunnels in a marsh.
(c) Cajun name for the marsh.
(d) Cajun name for swamp water.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the names of Margaret's children?
2. What did William give his daughter as a homecoming surprise after her first year of college?
3. What had William hunted as a boy for a quarter for each skin?
4. What do people call "the bones of the earth," according to the author?
5. Where are the Robertsons rumored to build the latest addition to their business?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)