|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Granny considers her life, what flashes on her closed eyelids?
2. When Granny finds the person she really wants to see, what does that person have?
3. What does Granny pull out from her dress?
4. What is on top of the bronze clock?
5. Who dug the post holes when Granny fenced in an acreage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Granny consider getting up to close the shades?
2. When Granny thinks of all she did as a young widow, what does she want to do?
3. What does Granny wish for?
4. What does Granny see and hear Father Connolly doing at the end of the story?
5. What does Granny think about tomorrow?
6. As Granny thinks further of her jilting, what does she consider?
7. What does Granny sense and do as she dies?
8. What are Dr. Harry and Cornelia whispering about in the morning?
9. What did Granny do that shows in the children now?
10. What does Granny want said to Father Connolly when he arrives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Granny fondly remembers the days when her children were little. What did Granny most enjoy about having young children? Why does she sometimes wish to go back to those days? What has she lost as her children have grown?
Essay Topic 2
All of Granny’s children are at her side when she dies. Do her children still respect Granny? How do Lydia and Jimmy show that they still respect their mother? How does Cornelia show respect? What is Granny’s relationship with her grown children?
Essay Topic 3
Granny lives with her daughter Cornelia. Why does Granny complain about Cornelia? Do the women treat one another with respect? How does the relationship show Granny’s sense that she is losing control?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)