|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When will the others come to see Granny?
2. Who else can wear the jewelry that Granny wants to give Cornelia?
3. After the doctor leaves her room, who does Granny believe is whispering in her ear?
4. What does Granny think there is in the everlasting hand of God?
5. How does Granny describe what it was like raising the children on her own?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Granny really wish to see, and where does she find her?
2. Why does Granny consider getting up to close the shades?
3. As Granny is in bed drowsing, what does she think of death?
4. What did one of men do when Granny learned her groom was not coming?
5. After feeling something wet, what does Granny consider about Cornelia and say to her?
6. What does Father Connolly usually do when he visits?
7. When Granny thinks about Cornelia’s character qualities, what does she want to do to Cornelia?
8. What did Granny’s father think made him live so long?
9. How does Hapsy look to Granny?
10. What would Granny say to the man who left her at the altar if she could see him again?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Granny begins to lose control over herself and those around her. Does Granny consciously or unconsciously realize that she is losing control? What does she do with Cornelia to try to reassert some control? Does she try to gain control by the way she treats the doctor? How else does Granny try to regain some power and control?
Essay Topic 2
Granny death is the last event in the story. When does it become obvious that Granny is not sick, but dying? Does Granny fear death? Is death what she expected? What emotions does she seem to feel as she dies?
Essay Topic 3
At the beginning of the story, Granny seems to have a firm grasp on reality. When does it become apparent that Granny is losing touch with reality? As she loses touch with reality, where does Granny’s mind wander? Does she realize that reality is skewed for her?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)