|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lydia come to talk with her mother?
2. What was a frequent topic of Father Connolly’s stories?
3. What is Granny’s last act?
4. When Granny considers something that was not given back, where does she feel pain that rises?
5. What does Granny pull out from her dress?
Short Essay Questions
1. What things is Granny not too old for?
2. Why does Granny consider getting up to close the shades?
3. What does Granny think about losing things?
4. What did Granny’s father do on his last birthday?
5. What does Granny tell someone who offers to get revenge on George?
6. What are the first thoughts Granny has of her jilting as she drowses?
7. What does Granny observe about Cornelia in the morning?
8. How does Cornelia’s voice seem to Granny after Granny looks at her husband’s picture?
9. How did Granny think of John, and why has her view of him changed?
10. What does Father Connolly usually do when he visits?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dr. Harry frustrates Granny. What is the main complaint that Granny has with Dr. Harry? Does he make her feel threatened? Does Dr. Harry have any ability to help Granny? Why does he frustrate her so?
Essay Topic 2
Granny fondly remembers the days when her children were little. What did Granny most enjoy about having young children? Why does she sometimes wish to go back to those days? What has she lost as her children have grown?
Essay Topic 3
As a widow, Granny had to be independent. Was Granny always an independent woman or did she develop that quality? What things did Granny have to do on her own? How did she have to assert independence? How did her independent experience affect her life?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)