|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Granny wish to do with Cornelia when she thinks about her daughter’s qualities?
2. Who sits beside Granny when she imagines stepping up into something?
3. What happened after Granny made her will?
4. When has Cornelia seen her mother as she is now?
5. What does Lydia say when she comes to see Granny?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Granny wish for?
2. What are the first thoughts Granny has of her jilting as she drowses?
3. What does Granny think about childbirth and how it affected her?
4. What does Granny think about losing things?
5. Why doesn’t Granny want to see Dr. Henry again?
6. What does Granny think about waste?
7. What did Granny do that shows in the children now?
8. How did Granny think of John, and why has her view of him changed?
9. When Granny thinks about Cornelia’s character qualities, what does she want to do to Cornelia?
10. What does Granny sense and do as she dies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Granny’s last name is a symbol of all she has experienced and survived in her life? What are some things that Granny has weathered? How has she dealt with the challenges in her life? Did she seem to weather all that she faced?
Essay Topic 2
Granny’s mind slips from the present to the past. Does Granny remember both good and bad memories? What emotions are stirred as Granny remembers the past? Do her memories prepare her to die?
Essay Topic 3
In the story, Granny feels like she is being humored. How does her imminent death affect how people treat Granny? Who is humoring Granny? Why does Cornelia humor her? Why does the doctor?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)