|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Granny’s last act?
2. What did Granny’s father have on his last birthday?
3. What is on top of the bronze clock?
4. If John came back, who would he look for?
5. How does Granny describe the way the doctor moves around the bed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Granny want after Dr. Harry leaves in the morning?
2. What does Granny feel and hear after considering whether to close the shades?
3. How does Granny describe how the lamps were lit in the evenings?
4. What does Granny wanted picked completely this year?
5. What did Granny’s father do on his last birthday?
6. What happened to Granny’s world when she was jilted?
7. When Granny thinks about Cornelia’s character qualities, what does she want to do to Cornelia?
8. Why doesn’t Granny want Dr. Harry attending to her?
9. What does Granny request from Cornelia after drowsing for a while and why?
10. Why doesn’t Granny want to see Dr. Henry again?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Granny considers herself to have been jilted twice. What are the two times that she was jilted? What emotions does she feel during these times? Is one jilting more traumatic than the other?
Essay Topic 2
After sixty years, Granny still struggles with being left at the altar. How does Granny feel when she thinks about being jilted? Has time lessened her feelings? Has the jilting affected how she looks at life? When did Granny feel like she had been jilted again? Why did her death feel like being jilted?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses stream of consciousness to tell the story. How does this technique help readers understand how Granny is deteriorating, especially in her mind? How does this technique mimic what Granny is going through as she goes through the dying process?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)