|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would Granny tell John sometimes if she could?
2. What was the second illness that Granny pulled through without Dr. Harry?
3. After feeling something shake her, what does Granny ask Cornelia to do?
4. As Granny tries to nap, what color is the light that streams in when her eyelids waver?
5. What does Granny feel like doing when she imagines hearing something?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Granny observe about Cornelia in the morning?
2. What did Granny do that shows in the children now?
3. How does Hapsy interact with Granny?
4. What does Granny say about her past illnesses?
5. What type of stories does Father Connolly tell?
6. What does Granny want said to Father Connolly when he arrives?
7. Who does Granny really wish to see, and where does she find her?
8. How did Granny think of John, and why has her view of him changed?
9. What would Granny say to John if she could see him again?
10. After feeling something wet, what does Granny consider about Cornelia and say to her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Granny begins to lose control over herself and those around her. Does Granny consciously or unconsciously realize that she is losing control? What does she do with Cornelia to try to reassert some control? Does she try to gain control by the way she treats the doctor? How else does Granny try to regain some power and control?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses stream of consciousness to tell the story. How does this technique help readers to feel what Granny is feeling? Does this technique make it difficult to follow the story? How does this technique effectively show Granny’s thoughts and feelings as she dies?
Essay Topic 3
As a widow, Granny had to be independent. Was Granny always an independent woman or did she develop that quality? What things did Granny have to do on her own? How did she have to assert independence? How did her independent experience affect her life?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)