|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What response does Granny get when she tells the doctor what she wants?
2. Where does Granny have to go to find the person she really wants to see?
3. After the birth of a child, how long did it usually take Granny to be well again?
4. As Granny thinks and tries to nap, how does she describe the day?
5. In her mind, what does Granny tell herself not to get the upper hand of her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn’t Granny want to see Dr. Henry again?
2. What did one of men do when Granny learned her groom was not coming?
3. When Granny thinks about Cornelia’s character qualities, what does she want to do to Cornelia?
4. What does Granny tell herself as she thinks about being jilted?
5. How does Cornelia’s voice seem to Granny after Granny looks at her husband’s picture?
6. What would Granny do if the children woke in the night with nightmares?
7. After feeling something wet, what does Granny consider about Cornelia and say to her?
8. What does Granny want said to Father Connolly when he arrives?
9. What things is Granny not too old for?
10. How does Granny describe how the lamps were lit in the evenings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the story, Granny feels like she is being humored. How does her imminent death affect how people treat Granny? Who is humoring Granny? Why does Cornelia humor her? Why does the doctor?
Essay Topic 2
At the beginning of the story, Granny seems to have a firm grasp on reality. When does it become apparent that Granny is losing touch with reality? As she loses touch with reality, where does Granny’s mind wander? Does she realize that reality is skewed for her?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of her life Granny feels betrayed. How did Granny feel about her end of life? Who did she believe would go before her? Who did she expect to come for her when she died? When he didn’t come, why did she feel betrayed?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)