|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is on top of the bronze clock?
2. How many birds does Granny imagine she hears?
3. What color were John’s eyes in a picture in Granny’s room?
4. How does Cornelia look to Granny when Cornelia checks on Granny?
5. When Cornelia says to humor Granny because she’s eighty, how does Granny feel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Granny do when she thought she was dying at age sixty?
2. What does Father Connolly usually do when he visits?
3. After Dr. Harry leaves in the morning, what sounds does Granny hear?
4. How does Granny describe a fog that rolls in?
5. What does Granny request from Cornelia after drowsing for a while and why?
6. What would be an evening ritual when the children were little?
7. What does Granny observe about Cornelia in the morning?
8. As Granny thinks further of her jilting, what does she consider?
9. What did Granny’s father do on his last birthday?
10. Why doesn’t Granny like her husband’s picture that sits on a dresser?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses stream of consciousness to tell the story. How does this technique help readers understand how Granny is deteriorating, especially in her mind? How does this technique mimic what Granny is going through as she goes through the dying process?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of her life Granny feels betrayed. How did Granny feel about her end of life? Who did she believe would go before her? Who did she expect to come for her when she died? When he didn’t come, why did she feel betrayed?
Essay Topic 3
As a widow, Granny had to be independent. Was Granny always an independent woman or did she develop that quality? What things did Granny have to do on her own? How did she have to assert independence? How did her independent experience affect her life?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)