|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Granny flick from Dr. Harry’s grasp at the beginning of the story?
2. When Granny reconsiders what the noise might be that she hears after the doctor leaves, what does she think it might be?
(a) Hanging clothes
(b) Water running
(d) Swishing newspapers
3. How did Granny’s day start out?
(b) Without fuss
4. What color was the flame when the lamp was lit?
5. What shakes Granny after she considers who she might have exchanged her husband for?
(a) Deep roaring
6. When Granny’s eyes close after the doctor’s visit, what does she compare shutting her eyes to?
(a) Coming of the night
(b) Going blind
(c) Shutting out the sun
(d) Drawing a dark curtain around her bed
7. What does Granny ask when Cornelia seems to be talking, but Granny can’t hear her?
(a) Whose birthday is it?
(b) Why aren’t you getting supper?
(c) What did you say?
(d) Why is everyone coming?
8. What does Granny feel around her wrist?
(a) Stretchy rubber band
(c) Warm bracelet
9. After the birth of a child, how long did it usually take Granny to be well again?
(a) 3 days
(b) 2 days
(c) 5 days
(d) 4 days
10. How long has Granny tried to forget being left at the altar?
(a) 70 years
(b) 50 years
(c) 65 years
(d) 60 years
11. What does Lydia say when she comes to see Granny?
(a) We drove as fast as we could
(b) How are you feeling
(c) Here are the children
(d) It is raining
12. What does Granny tell Cornelia to do?
(a) Wash her face
(b) Wipe her eyes
(c) Bring supper
(d) Get tea
13. What word does Granny use to describe lighting the lamps?
14. What sit on embroidered linen in Granny’s room?
(a) Hair brushes and tonic bottles
15. What would Granny tell John sometimes if she could?
(a) That she didn’t do badly
(b) That she brought the children up right
(c) That she made it on her own
(d) That she missed him
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. Harry call Granny after she tells him to respect his elders?
2. What did Granny mean to finish before she died?
3. When is Granny trying to take a little nap?
4. How many years did Granny live with kerosene lamps?
5. What does the tall dresser in Granny’s room have on it?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)