|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is on top of the bronze clock?
(c) Loving cup
2. After Cornelia leaves, how long does Granny hope her children will leave her alone?
(a) A minute
(b) A couple hours
(c) 30 minutes
(d) 15 minutes
3. If John came back, who would he look for?
(a) A young woman with a Spanish comb in her hair and a painted fan
(b) A young woman with fair complexion and unwrinkled skin
(c) A young woman with dark hair
(d) A young woman with small children
4. When Cornelia gets on Granny’s nerves, what does Granny long to do?
(a) Go to another child’s house
(b) Go back to her own house
(c) Go live with her friend
(d) Go to sleep and never wake up
5. According to Granny, what does a woman need inside her to have her full health?
(d) Good food
6. Who does Granny mistake for Hapsy?
(a) Dr. Harry
(c) Father Connolly
7. What would Granny say to her children when it was time to come in from playing?
(a) Come in for supper
(b) Time for bed
(c) Don’t stay out in the night air
(d) It’s getting dark
8. After the birth of a child, how long did it usually take Granny to be well again?
(a) 4 days
(b) 3 days
(c) 2 days
(d) 5 days
9. How does Granny describe the way that Cornelia’s mouth moves, when Granny cannot hear Cornelia?
(a) Twists and turns
(b) In angles and planes
(c) Moves in strange shapes
(d) Open and closes silently
10. What are the birds singing that Granny imagines hearing?
(a) Dance tune
(d) A Mass
11. Who is the only person Granny would have exchanged her husband for?
(a) St. Michael
(b) No one
(c) St. Martin
(d) St. Gabriel
12. What does Granny consider doing or she won’t be able to sleep?
(a) Close the curtains
(b) Get a drink
(c) Use the bathroom
(d) Pull the shades down
13. What does Granny compare her soul to?
(c) Nursing baby
(d) Teething baby
14. What does Cornelia do when her mother tells her to do something?
(a) Steps backward
(b) Sits suddenly
(c) Kneels and puts her head on the pillow
(d) Calls for the doctor
15. What does the tall dresser in Granny’s room have on it?
(a) Picture of Granny and John on their wedding day
(b) Picture of the children
(c) Granny’s picture
(d) John’s picture
Short Answer Questions
1. After thinking about the jilting, what does Granny see Hapsy wearing?
2. Who does Granny really want to see?
3. How does Granny describe what she sees in the valley?
4. What would lighting the lamp dispel in the children?
5. How does Granny describe what it was like raising the children on her own?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)