|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What drives the tourists to Italy?
(a) Some unknown urge.
(c) Inexpensive retirement.
(d) Peace and quiet.
2. What does the author admit about most Italian girls and young women?
(a) They are scary.
(b) They are disturbingly beautiful.
(c) They are uncontrollable.
(d) They are loud and rude.
3. Everything is better when it does what?
(a) Is allowed to be itself.
(b) Sparkles and has some form of order.
(c) Is able to be studied by others.
(d) Is given the chance to grow.
4. Author Henry James claimed that the pleasure of Italy was inseparably tied to what?
(a) The human element.
(b) Its architecture.
(c) Its food.
(d) Its landscape.
5. It is necessary for each Italian to do what?
(a) Pray to these spirits.
(b) Ask for help from these spirits.
(c) Ward off the presence and the effects of these spirits the best he can.
(d) Give gifts to these spirits.
Short Answer Questions
1. Italy is still a draw for those wishing to do what?
2. The first purpose of show is what?
3. Although almost everyone recognizes these minor deceptions for what they are, they are considered what?
4. What decision do some visitors make according to this chapter?
5. For most males, what activity is primary?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Cola di Rienzo.
2. How important are nonverbal gestures?
3. What is the stereotype of Italians?
4. Why must one be careful when falling in love in Italy?
5. What is the third evil spirit? Describe it.
6. What does the author say about the draw of the weather for visitors. What do you think about this?
7. Why is the element of make believe important?
8. What is the first purpose of having life be like a show?
9. What is a major reason for Italian travel?
10. Why is it believed that both Casanova and Cagliostro can be found in every Italian man?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)