|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Italians think of free expression?
(a) It is considered a luxury granted to only a few saints, heroes, and poets.
(b) It is a right for all people.
(c) It is a waste of time for anyone.
(d) It is only for Americans.
2. The fundamental reason that the South will not narrow the gap between itself and the North is what?
(a) Southerners do not want the gap narrowed.
(b) Southerners are not intelligent.
(c) Southerners think in political, not economic, terms.
(d) Southerners think in economic, not political terms.
3. How did Guicciardini command respect?
(a) With impressive speeches.
(b) With his kindness.
(c) With impressive shows of power and pomp.
(d) With his wealth.
4. The Southerners work toward what?
(a) Through deception.
(b) The acquisition of power and influence.
(c) Through the Church.
(d) The acquisition of wealth.
5. The confusion about the Mafia is almost always perpetuated by whom?
(a) The media.
(b) The Italians.
(c) The Sicilians.
(d) The organization itself.
6. Why could this man not achieve practical results?
(a) He was not organized.
(b) He was too much of a dreamer.
(c) He was mentally unstable.
(d) He was not dedicated to his work.
7. Another important faction in the geography of Italy is what?
(a) The island of Sicily.
(b) The island of England.
(c) The island of Corsica.
(d) The island of Wales.
8. Most families attempt to remain faithful to what?
(a) Their friends.
(b) The perfect family as possible.
(c) Their government.
9. What makes up the puzzling Problema del Mezzogiorno?
(a) Profound differences between the Romans and Tuscans.
(b) Profound differences between the Roman Catholics and Greek Orthodox.
(c) Profound differences between the Italians and Sicilians.
(d) Profound differences between the two Italies.
10. Guicciardini became a lawyer and went into what service in 1515?
(c) Corporate law.
11. Why are male children especially anticipated and favored?
(a) They are more intelligent than females.
(b) They can be government officials.
(c) The family cares about strong offspring.
(d) The family also demands many male descendants to carry on the name and the heritage.
12. What does the Italian Code of Chivalry teach?
(a) The proper behavior between gentlemen when one is challenged by another.
(b) The proper way to defend oneself.
(c) The proper way to defend a woman.
(d) The proper behavior for treating others.
13. The people of this island are extremely ________________.
14. What rises to power during this time and many people are tried, tortured and killed in the name of preserving the Church?
(a) The Spanish Inquisition.
(b) The Holy Inquisition.
(c) The Portuguese Inquisition.
(d) The Medieval Inquisition.
15. Into what do males force women?
(a) Loveless relationships.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Northerners believe that what is the way to achieve their goals?
2. What else do Italians think about capitalism?
3. What do Italians think about the rules of capitalism?
4. What are children taught early?
5. Guicciardini served as _____________ and arrested and tortured those who disagreed with Papal decrees.
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)