|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What rises to power during this time and many people are tried, tortured and killed in the name of preserving the Church?
(a) The Spanish Inquisition.
(b) The Holy Inquisition.
(c) The Portuguese Inquisition.
(d) The Medieval Inquisition.
2. What must each member do to provide for the greater good of the family?
(a) Be will to leave the family.
(b) Be willing to sacrifice personal property and finances if the situation calls for it.
(c) Be willing to sacrifice personal property.
(d) Be willing to sacrifice finances.
3. After serving two more popes, Guicciardini returns to Florence and acts as local henchman for the powerful_________________ family even though he despises them.
4. What helps Italians navigate through life with as little pain as possible?
(b) Unwritten rules.
(c) A book of rules.
5. What are Sicilians able to avoid?
(a) Learning Italian.
(b) Paying taxes.
(c) Contact with Italians.
(d) Written laws.
6. After this very public humiliation on the world stage, Italy reverts to what?
(c) Negative attitudes.
(d) Its protective cover of illusion.
7. Who has the luxury of speaking about their dreams, ideals and justice?
(a) Native-born Italians.
(b) Younger people.
(c) Older people.
(d) Anyone who is not Italian.
8. What other defense mechanism do the Italians use?
(a) They have many allies.
(b) They do not mind their own business.
(c) They build powerful weapons.
(d) They mind their own business.
9. The culture and qualities of the Italian people are ______________ on this island.
(d) The same.
10. Another important faction in the geography of Italy is what?
(a) The island of Sicily.
(b) The island of England.
(c) The island of Corsica.
(d) The island of Wales.
11. The men may have many romantic affairs. What are the rights of the wives?
(a) They have no right to question or object to this behavior.
(b) They may divorce their unfaithful husbands.
(c) They may require their husbands to end these affairs.
(d) They also may have romantic affairs.
12. What are Mafia members called?
(a) Gli amici degli amici.
(b) Amico o nemico.
(c) Degli amici.
(d) Gli amici.
13. In Sicily, each man's rank is determined by what?
(a) His intelligence.
(b) The amount of fear he can generate.
(c) His wealth.
(d) His looks.
14. In return for protection, what does the family demand?
(a) Absolute loyalty and all wrongs must be avenged.
15. What do Italians think about the rules of capitalism?
(a) There are not enough.
(b) They are not realistic.
(c) They are realistic.
(d) There are too many.
Short Answer Questions
1. The heads of Mafia organizations are usually _____________________ with impeccable manners and ingratiating charm which do not belie the cruelty underneath.
2. What becomes the center of Baroque life in all of Europe?
3. The Southerners work toward what?
4. Italian mothers take on an almost divine role in the family paralleling what?
5. What do Sicilians prefer to call the Mafia?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)