|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Sicilians able to avoid?
(a) Contact with Italians.
(b) Learning Italian.
(c) Paying taxes.
(d) Written laws.
2. The Northerner believes that wealth is the sure way to do what?
(a) Have problems.
(b) Insure protection for the family.
(c) Cause stress.
(d) Create enemies.
3. What other defense mechanism do the Italians use?
(a) They build powerful weapons.
(b) They mind their own business.
(c) They have many allies.
(d) They do not mind their own business.
4. What do Mafia members feel that they are sometimes forced to do?
(a) Leave the country.
(b) Follow the laws.
(d) Commit acts of force in the completion of their duties.
5. What rises to power during this time and many people are tried, tortured and killed in the name of preserving the Church?
(a) The Portuguese Inquisition.
(b) The Medieval Inquisition.
(c) The Spanish Inquisition.
(d) The Holy Inquisition.
6. This bastion of security can have many positive facets but also can exhibit negatively in what?
7. Why will the situation not improve in the immediate future between the North and South?
(a) Much of the capital raised in the North goes to the Southern workers.
(b) Much of the capital raised in the South goes to the Northern workers.
(c) The North does not want it to improve.
(d) The South does not want it to improve.
8. Guicciardini served as _____________ and arrested and tortured those who disagreed with Papal decrees.
(a) A priest.
9. What is one book that reigns supreme in cases of conduct?
(a) Codice Cavalleresco Italiano.
(b) La Mimica Degli Antichi Invesigate Nel Gestire Napoletano.
(c) The Book of the Courtier.
(d) I Ricordi.
10. From where is this man?
11. Into what do males force women?
(c) Loveless relationships.
12. Another important faction in the geography of Italy is what?
(a) The island of Corsica.
(b) The island of England.
(c) The island of Wales.
(d) The island of Sicily.
13. What makes up the puzzling Problema del Mezzogiorno?
(a) Profound differences between the Romans and Tuscans.
(b) Profound differences between the two Italies.
(c) Profound differences between the Roman Catholics and Greek Orthodox.
(d) Profound differences between the Italians and Sicilians.
14. Does he ever betray his personal beliefs in the service of those whom he detested?
(a) Yes, once.
(b) Yes, but many years later.
(c) Yes, as soon as he retired.
(d) No, never.
15. What complicates matters even further between Northerners and Southerners?
(a) They speak different dialects.
(b) They look very different from each other.
(c) There is a definite line separating the two areas.
(d) There is no definite line separating the two areas.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did this man write?
2. What must each member do to provide for the greater good of the family?
3. Within the family, the males reign supreme and Italian men are noted for what?
4. How did Guicciardini command respect?
5. Throughout their long history the Italian people have learned that their best defense against corruption, violence, civil wars and revolutions is to do what?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)