|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do most Italians think about contemporary capitalism?
(a) They do not understand it.
(b) It is worthless.
(c) It is too difficult to understand.
(d) It cannot be trusted.
2. Why will the situation not improve in the immediate future between the North and South?
(a) Much of the capital raised in the North goes to the Southern workers.
(b) The South does not want it to improve.
(c) Much of the capital raised in the South goes to the Northern workers.
(d) The North does not want it to improve.
3. The confusion about the Mafia is almost always perpetuated by whom?
(a) The Sicilians.
(b) The organization itself.
(c) The media.
(d) The Italians.
4. There are visible signs of material advantages in the North, but there is always the danger of what?
(a) Losing that advantage.
(b) Poverty and insecurity.
(c) Economic collapse.
(d) Spiritual impoverishment and hedonism.
5. How did Guicciardini command respect?
(a) With impressive shows of power and pomp.
(b) With his kindness.
(c) With impressive speeches.
(d) With his wealth.
6. Why could this man not achieve practical results?
(a) He was mentally unstable.
(b) He was not organized.
(c) He was too much of a dreamer.
(d) He was not dedicated to his work.
7. How else is mafioso used?
(a) To describe a person who is devious.
(b) To describe someone who is a murderer.
(c) To describe a person of prideful bearing.
(d) To describe a person who is rude.
8. What are Mafia members called?
(a) Degli amici.
(b) Gli amici degli amici.
(c) Amico o nemico.
(d) Gli amici.
9. What else do Italians think about capitalism?
(a) They appreciate the outward aspects of it but do not believe it truly exists.
(b) They think it is only for the wealthy.
(c) They cannot appreciate anything about it.
(d) They think it requires too much responsibility from the citizens.
10. The people of this island are extremely ________________.
11. Almost everyone in Sicily understands what?
(a) The fact that the Sicilians cause many of the problems from which the Mafia protects people.
(b) The fact that the Mafia is a good source of protection.
(c) The fact that the Italians cause many of the problems from which the Mafia protects people.
(d) The irony that the Mafia often causes the problems from which it protects.
12. Most families attempt to remain faithful to what?
(a) The perfect family as possible.
(b) Their government.
(d) Their friends.
13. The fundamental reason that the South will not narrow the gap between itself and the North is what?
(a) Southerners think in economic, not political terms.
(b) Southerners think in political, not economic, terms.
(c) Southerners do not want the gap narrowed.
(d) Southerners are not intelligent.
14. Mafia is what?
(a) The name for the famous illegal organization.
(b) A group of teenagers.
(c) A game on the internet.
(d) Gangsters in 1920s Chicago.
15. What complicates matters even further between Northerners and Southerners?
(a) They speak different dialects.
(b) They look very different from each other.
(c) There is no definite line separating the two areas.
(d) There is a definite line separating the two areas.
Short Answer Questions
1. When might a family extend into extreme behavior?
2. In exchange for protection by the Mafia, what happens to people?
3. Another important faction in the geography of Italy is what?
4. From where is this man?
5. What does the word mafia indicate?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)