|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How else is mafioso used?
(a) To describe a person who is devious.
(b) To describe a person of prideful bearing.
(c) To describe someone who is a murderer.
(d) To describe a person who is rude.
2. In Sicily, each man's rank is determined by what?
(a) His looks.
(b) The amount of fear he can generate.
(c) His wealth.
(d) His intelligence.
3. Where do consolation, help, advice, provisions, loans, weapons, allies and accomplices lie?
(a) In the family.
(d) The government.
4. What helps Italians navigate through life with as little pain as possible?
(a) A book of rules.
(d) Unwritten rules.
5. Does he ever betray his personal beliefs in the service of those whom he detested?
(a) No, never.
(b) Yes, as soon as he retired.
(c) Yes, but many years later.
(d) Yes, once.
6. Why are male children especially anticipated and favored?
(a) The family cares about strong offspring.
(b) They are more intelligent than females.
(c) They can be government officials.
(d) The family also demands many male descendants to carry on the name and the heritage.
7. Baroque theater also becomes popular, and the custom of using ___________ at celebrations and events today mimics the glorious _________ crafted in this colorful and artistic time period.
8. From where is this man?
9. What is the Baroque period?
(a) A time of gothic cathedrals and other impressive architecture.
(b) A time of minimalism and streamlined design and architecture.
(c) A time of magnificent artistic creativity beginning in 17th century Italy.
(d) A time of very little artistic creativity.
10. When might a family extend into extreme behavior?
(b) If circumstances warrant.
(c) If the government is weakened.
(d) If they are wealthy.
11. What is one use of the term mafioso?
(b) Members of the Mafia.
12. The fundamental reason that the South will not narrow the gap between itself and the North is what?
(a) Southerners think in political, not economic, terms.
(b) Southerners do not want the gap narrowed.
(c) Southerners think in economic, not political terms.
(d) Southerners are not intelligent.
13. After this very public humiliation on the world stage, Italy reverts to what?
(a) Its protective cover of illusion.
(c) Negative attitudes.
14. What do Italians think of free expression?
(a) It is a right for all people.
(b) It is a waste of time for anyone.
(c) It is only for Americans.
(d) It is considered a luxury granted to only a few saints, heroes, and poets.
15. The people of this island are extremely ________________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do most Italians have no need to read Guicciardini's writing?
2. The confusion about the Mafia is almost always perpetuated by whom?
3. How did Guicciardini command respect?
4. What are Mafia members called?
5. What other defense mechanism do the Italians use?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)