|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Guicciardini became a lawyer and went into what service in 1515?
(d) Corporate law.
2. The North supplies what to the South?
(a) Some consumer goods.
(b) Not much.
(c) Equipment and most consumer goods.
3. How else is mafioso used?
(a) To describe a person of prideful bearing.
(b) To describe a person who is rude.
(c) To describe a person who is devious.
(d) To describe someone who is a murderer.
4. What complicates matters even further between Northerners and Southerners?
(a) There is a definite line separating the two areas.
(b) They speak different dialects.
(c) There is no definite line separating the two areas.
(d) They look very different from each other.
5. Italian mothers take on an almost divine role in the family paralleling what?
(a) The role of saint.
(b) The role of Mary the mother of Jesus.
(c) The role of guardian angel.
(d) The role of God to the Israelites.
6. All Italians share similar physical characteristics and methods for managing life, but there is a difference between the two geographical regions which has done what?
(a) Brought different types of tourists.
(b) Not effected either economy.
(c) Impacted the cultures of each.
(d) Impacted the economies of each.
7. There are visible signs of material advantages in the North, but there is always the danger of what?
(a) Spiritual impoverishment and hedonism.
(b) Economic collapse.
(c) Losing that advantage.
(d) Poverty and insecurity.
8. The Mafia members contend that they are not criminals but rather the enemies of whom?
(b) The government.
(d) Other Italians.
9. Who is another famous Florentine known for ruthless behavior and politics?
(a) Niccolo Machiavelli.
(b) Baldassra Castiglione.
(c) Giacomo Casanova.
(d) Cola di Rienzo.
10. What helps Italians navigate through life with as little pain as possible?
(c) Unwritten rules.
(d) A book of rules.
11. The best example of this philosophy is embodied by whom?
(a) Francesco Guicciardini.
(b) Baldassar Castiglione.
(c) John Castigliola.
(d) Giuseppe Balsamo.
12. The fundamental reason that the South will not narrow the gap between itself and the North is what?
(a) Southerners think in political, not economic, terms.
(b) Southerners think in economic, not political terms.
(c) Southerners are not intelligent.
(d) Southerners do not want the gap narrowed.
13. Guicciardini served as _____________ and arrested and tortured those who disagreed with Papal decrees.
(a) A priest.
14. Mafia itself has how many meanings?
15. The Northerners believe that what is the way to achieve their goals?
(a) The acquisition of power and influence.
(b) Through the Church.
(c) Through deception.
(d) The acquisition of wealth.
Short Answer Questions
1. After this very public humiliation on the world stage, Italy reverts to what?
2. From where is this man?
3. What other defense mechanism do the Italians use?
4. What does the word mafia indicate?
5. Why will the situation not improve in the immediate future between the North and South?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)