|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Northerner believes that wealth is the sure way to do what?
(a) Cause stress.
(b) Have problems.
(c) Create enemies.
(d) Insure protection for the family.
2. After this very public humiliation on the world stage, Italy reverts to what?
(c) Its protective cover of illusion.
(d) Negative attitudes.
3. What do most Italians think about contemporary capitalism?
(a) It is worthless.
(b) They do not understand it.
(c) It is too difficult to understand.
(d) It cannot be trusted.
4. What is the main source of power for all Italians?
(a) The government.
(c) The family.
5. All Italians share similar physical characteristics and methods for managing life, but there is a difference between the two geographical regions which has done what?
(a) Impacted the economies of each.
(b) Brought different types of tourists.
(c) Not effected either economy.
(d) Impacted the cultures of each.
6. The author describes the humiliation of Italy in what battle?
(a) The Battle of Fornovo.
(b) The Battle of Shiloh.
(c) The Battle of Syracuse.
(d) The Battle of the Bulge.
7. Guicciardini became a lawyer and went into what service in 1515?
(c) Corporate law.
8. Why are male children especially anticipated and favored?
(a) The family also demands many male descendants to carry on the name and the heritage.
(b) They can be government officials.
(c) They are more intelligent than females.
(d) The family cares about strong offspring.
9. What does the word mafia indicate?
(a) An intelligent, independent individual.
(b) A hard-headed, scary individual.
(c) A dangerous and ruthless man.
(d) A state of mind or moral code in the defense of dignity and vengeance prevailing among all Sicilians.
10. Most families attempt to remain faithful to what?
(a) Their government.
(b) Their friends.
(c) The perfect family as possible.
11. There are visible signs of material advantages in the North, but there is always the danger of what?
(a) Poverty and insecurity.
(b) Spiritual impoverishment and hedonism.
(c) Losing that advantage.
(d) Economic collapse.
12. In Sicily, each man's rank is determined by what?
(a) His intelligence.
(b) His wealth.
(c) His looks.
(d) The amount of fear he can generate.
13. This bastion of security can have many positive facets but also can exhibit negatively in what?
14. Another important faction in the geography of Italy is what?
(a) The island of England.
(b) The island of Corsica.
(c) The island of Wales.
(d) The island of Sicily.
15. Baroque theater also becomes popular, and the custom of using ___________ at celebrations and events today mimics the glorious _________ crafted in this colorful and artistic time period.
Short Answer Questions
1. Italians, like many other people, must one day realize what about life?
2. Southerners appreciate wealth. What do they feel about wealth?
3. What must each member do to provide for the greater good of the family?
4. What did this man write?
5. Italians strive for what?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)