|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who flocks to Italy each year in increasing numbers?
(a) Foreign visitors.
(d) The elderly.
2. What kind of behavior do tourists demonstrate?
(d) Slightly frenzied.
3. This author is a proponent of what?
(a) Honor and duty.
(b) Building wealth.
(c) The current politician in power.
(d) Trusting fate.
4. From what other parts of the world do visitors come?
(a) Canada, the Middle East, and Asia.
(b) Russia, China, and Iran.
(c) Russia, Africa, and Asia.
(d) The Middle East, Asia, and Africa.
5. Through the Middle Ages, who was drawn to Italy?
(a) Emperors and military leaders.
(b) The homeless.
(c) The persecuted.
(d) The poor and needy.
6. The people are even more aware of this when they know they are being observed?
(a) Their life is business.
(b) Their life is like a play or show.
(c) Their life revolves around the law.
(d) They do not have control over their lives.
7. One of the most prominent proponents of illusion was the author __________________.
(a) Giuseppe Balsamo.
(b) Giacomo Casanova.
(c) Baldassar Castiglione.
(d) Benito Mussolini.
8. In the 1960s, how many people visited Italy?
(a) Over twenty million.
(b) Twelve billion.
(c) Twelve million.
(d) Over twenty billion.
9. What must be done to raw nature?
(c) Left alone.
(d) Landscaped and formed into suitable forms and rituals.
10. Italians believe that the effects of life _______________ be eliminated.
11. Why do wealthy people come to Italy?
(a) To avoid paying large income taxes.
(b) To make others jealous.
(c) To show off their wealth.
(d) To enjoy the peace and quiet.
12. Polite lies and flattery are tools of the Italian people in order to do what?
(a) Perpetuate the necessary illusions.
(b) Earn wealth.
(c) Stay popular.
(d) Be happy.
13. Cagliostro is imprisoned where for a brief time?
14. What was one of the major reasons for Italian travel?
(c) Religious pilgrimages to Rome.
15. The core of Italian belief is that life is what?
Short Answer Questions
1. Even though individuals could easily practice their religion in their own towns, the lure of what was irresistible for many?
2. This author asserts that a man must use tactics of mild deception at times in order to do what?
3. How do female visitors feel about Italian males?
4. What causes these visitors to make the decision from number 21?
5. What still remains in Italy?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)