|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The surface of Italian life has many characteristics of what?
(a) A dictatorship.
(b) A law firm.
(c) A company.
(d) A play or show.
2. What does the author admit about most Italian girls and young women?
(a) They are disturbingly beautiful.
(b) They are uncontrollable.
(c) They are scary.
(d) They are loud and rude.
3. What was part of one's Italian education?
(a) The study of Italy's art.
(b) The study of Italian politics.
(c) The study of Italian life and culture.
(d) The study of the Italian language.
4. What book did this author write?
(a) The Book of Love.
(b) The Book of the Courtier.
(c) The Book of Hours.
(d) The Book of Fate.
5. This author is a proponent of what?
(a) Honor and duty.
(b) The current politician in power.
(c) Trusting fate.
(d) Building wealth.
6. What causes these visitors to make the decision from number 21?
(a) They enjoy being in their native countries.
(b) The locals were very rude.
(c) It is warm in Italy.
(d) They fall under the country's irresistible spell.
7. Almost without fail, all who visit and return are drawn to what?
(a) The Italian zest for life.
(b) Italian food.
(c) Italian men.
(d) Italian women.
8. Italians believe that newborn babies are surrounded by what?
(a) Bad and powerful genii.
(d) The devil.
9. What is the biggest case of illusion?
(b) The Vatican.
(c) Saint Peter's Church in Rome.
(d) Italy as a whole.
10. Why do foreigners seem to have trouble with this belief in illusion?
(a) It is deceitful.
(b) It is a sin.
(c) It is disrespectful.
(d) It is hard to discern what is truth.
11. Author Henry James claimed that the pleasure of Italy was inseparably tied to what?
(a) Its food.
(b) Its landscape.
(c) Its architecture.
(d) The human element.
12. In the cases of love where a man acts as if he is irresistibly attracted to a woman, can the woman know that his actions indicate true feelings?
13. Italians believe that the effects of life _______________ be eliminated.
14. What has drawn these people to Italy?
(a) The inviting climate and riches.
(b) The inviting locals.
(c) The available housing.
(d) The freedom.
15. What must be hidden?
(b) Signs of wealth.
(c) Nature's beauty.
(d) All that is ugly and unpleasant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What decision do some visitors make according to this chapter?
2. What did Giuseppe Balsamo call himself?
3. Balsamo became involved in what?
4. Possibly nowhere else on earth can these things be found and indulged in with such ____________.
5. What are these spirits destined to do?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)