|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event is happening in Rome in Chapter 17?
2. In Chapter 28, how are Schedoni and Father Ansaldo questioned?
3. What does Ellena do upon discovering the monk's identity?
4. What does Ellena urge Schedoni to do after seeing Spalatro wounded?
5. What does the Marchese agree to do to please his son in Chapter 31?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the mysterious monk assert himself to Vivaldi during his imprisonment and questioning?
2. After being sentenced to death, what does Schedoni reveal to Vivaldi, and how does Vivaldi receive the news?
3. What does Schedoni find out about his relationship to Ellena, and what does he do when he receives this news?
4. What does Ellena fear when Beatrice visits her, and who does Beatrice tell her has died?
5. Who does Ellena run into in a cloister of people, and what does this person reveal to Ellena in Chapter 30?
6. Who are the two people the Tribunal summons at the start of Chapter 28, how are they questioned, and what do they testify to?
7. How are Vivaldi and Paulo questioned in Chapter 26, and how do they both reply?
8. What does Olivia tell Ellena about their relationship and the character of Schedoni?
9. How does Vivaldi feel about the monk's tale that he relates to the Tribunal, and what does the monk do in response?
10. Where do the Benedictines take Vivaldi and Paulo in Chapter 17 and whom do they turn them over to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Schedoni's role in the persecution of Ellena and Vivaldi? How does this change, and why?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of wealth in this novel? What events are driven by wealth and poverty? How are characters viewed based on their pecuniary success?
Essay Topic 3
How does Vivaldi and Ellena's relationship affect the story?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)