|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vivaldi expect to happen when he meets the Chief Officer?
2. What does Schedoni admit about Nicola in Chapter 28?
3. What does Ellena urge Schedoni to do after seeing Spalatro wounded?
4. Where does the tribunal send Vivaldi at the end of Chapter 27?
5. What strikes Schedoni about the play Virginia?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Vivaldi feel about the monk's tale that he relates to the Tribunal, and what does the monk do in response?
2. Who does Ellena run into in a cloister of people, and what does this person reveal to Ellena in Chapter 30?
3. What does Schedoni find out about his relationship to Ellena, and what does he do when he receives this news?
4. Where do the Benedictines take Vivaldi and Paulo in Chapter 17 and whom do they turn them over to?
5. What does Olivia tell Ellena about their relationship and the character of Schedoni?
6. What does Vivaldi refuse to tell the Tribunal of the Inquisition, and how is his refusal met?
7. After being sentenced to death, what does Schedoni reveal to Vivaldi, and how does Vivaldi receive the news?
8. Why does Ellena believe that Schedoni came to save her from Spaltaro?
9. What happens when Vivaldi asks the jailer to capture the monk, and what other tale does he tell the tribunal?
10. Who appears in Chapter 29 to testify against Schedoni, and what do they verify?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of wealth in this novel? What events are driven by wealth and poverty? How are characters viewed based on their pecuniary success?
Essay Topic 2
How are the different symbols used throughout the novel to represent abstract concepts? Detail and explain how the symbols are used to describe certain abstract concepts and which concepts they describe.
Essay Topic 3
What events lead to the Marchese di Vivaldi promoting his son's marriage to Ellena di Rosalba?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)