|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the nuns try and do for Ellena when she arrives at the convent in Chapter 25?
2. Who did the ancient servant that testified in the trial in Chapter 29 work for?
3. How long is Ellena's journey in Chapter 18?
4. What stops Schedoni from harming Ellena in Chapter 20?
5. In Chapter 26, what does the monk tell Vivaldi he will witness during the next day's questioning?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Schedoni report to the Marchesa di Vivaldi, and what does she believe has happened?
2. On her deathbed, what does the Marchesa confess to and state is her dying wish?
3. How are Vivaldi and Paulo questioned in Chapter 26, and how do they both reply?
4. Who does Ellena run into in a cloister of people, and what does this person reveal to Ellena in Chapter 30?
5. What does Ellena fear when Beatrice visits her, and who does Beatrice tell her has died?
6. What does Vivaldi refuse to tell the Tribunal of the Inquisition, and how is his refusal met?
7. What makes Ellena's idea, to be taken to the church of Santa Maria della Pieta, appear more attractive to Schedoni, and what is Ellena's reaction when he agrees to her idea?
8. What does Schedoni decide would be in his best interest, after finding out he is Ellena's father, and what does he see as the first step?
9. In Chapter 20, who is Schedoni revealed to be, and why has he striven to be in the Marchesa's good graces?
10. Why is Ellena distressed when Schedoni shares where he plans to deposit her for safety, and what does she suggest as an alternative?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which characters are the protagonist and the antagonist? Why are these characters labeled in this way?
Essay Topic 2
How are the different symbols used throughout the novel to represent abstract concepts? Detail and explain how the symbols are used to describe certain abstract concepts and which concepts they describe.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship between Ellena and Vivaldi as it progresses through the novel.
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)