|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Vivaldi receive in return for relating the monk's words to the tribunal?
(a) A severe lashing.
(b) A promise he won't be tortured.
(c) Bread and water.
(d) Immediate release.
2. How does Ellena feel about Sister Olivia of San Stefano in Chapter 25?
(a) She loves her most of all the nuns.
(b) She has a bitter hatred for her.
(c) She will soon die.
(d) She should leave the convent to marry Schedoni.
3. Who did the ancient servant that testified in the trial in Chapter 29 work for?
(a) The Marchesa di Vivaldi.
(b) Vivaldi's uncle.
(c) The Count di Bruno.
(d) The Italian government.
4. What event is happening in Rome in Chapter 17?
(a) A crucifixion.
(b) A musical concert.
(c) A riot.
(d) A carnival.
5. Whose trial is Vivaldi called to testify in, at the start of Chapter 29?
(b) His mother's.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 24 what does the Marchesa di Vivaldi ask Schedoni about Ellena?
2. What do the nuns try and do for Ellena when she arrives at the convent in Chapter 25?
3. Who does the court of the Inquisition remind Vivaldi they are merciful to in Chapter 17?
4. In Chapter 30, who does Olivia reveal to Ellena that she is?
5. What time of day do Vivaldi and Paulo enter Rome?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Ellena run into in a cloister of people, and what does this person reveal to Ellena in Chapter 30?
2. Where do the Benedictines take Vivaldi and Paulo in Chapter 17 and whom do they turn them over to?
3. What makes Ellena's idea, to be taken to the church of Santa Maria della Pieta, appear more attractive to Schedoni, and what is Ellena's reaction when he agrees to her idea?
4. What does Schedoni report to the Marchesa di Vivaldi, and what does she believe has happened?
5. What does the monk accuse Ellena of when she appeals for protection in Chapter 19, and who does she realize the monk is?
6. Describe what happens when Schedoni, Ellena, and their guide come upon a deserted village.
7. Who is the mysterious monk, and what does he claim is true about Schedoni, and what does he produce to verify his story?
8. What does Olivia tell Ellena about their relationship and the character of Schedoni?
9. How does the mysterious monk assert himself to Vivaldi during his imprisonment and questioning?
10. What does Ellena fear when Beatrice visits her, and who does Beatrice tell her has died?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)