|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes Ellena to fear for Schedoni while he is chasing Spalatro?
(a) She hears Schedoni scream.
(b) She sees Schedoni fall down.
(c) She realizes Schedoni is unarmed.
(d) She sees another man chasing Schedoni.
2. What does Schedoni give the guide before he dismisses him?
(a) Food for his journey.
(b) A firm handshake.
(c) A stiletto.
(d) A sack of gold.
3. What does Schedoni do every time the guide mentions Spalatro?
(a) Interrupt him.
(b) Weep profusely.
(c) Slap him in the head.
(d) Laugh uncontrollably.
4. What does Schedoni admit about Nicola in Chapter 28?
(a) He is his father.
(b) He has never seen him before.
(c) He tried to murder him.
(d) He was his agent in a plot against Vivaldi.
5. What does Schedoni seek from the Marchesa di Vivaldi in Chapter 21?
(a) Approbation for the union between Vivaldi and Ellena.
(b) Mercy and forgiveness.
(c) A pay raise.
(d) Her hand in marriage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the guards' stipulations to allow Paulo to stay with Vivaldi, at the trial in Chapter 29?
2. In Chapter 28, how are Schedoni and Father Ansaldo questioned?
3. How does Vivaldi gain Paulo an indulgence at the close of Chapter 29?
4. What does Ellena worry Vivaldi has done at the start of Chapter 30?
5. In Chapter 24 what does the Marchesa di Vivaldi ask Schedoni about Ellena?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Schedoni report to the Marchesa di Vivaldi, and what does she believe has happened?
2. In Chapter 20, who is Schedoni revealed to be, and why has he striven to be in the Marchesa's good graces?
3. What does the guide tell Schedoni about Spaltaro in Chapter 23, and what does Schedoni do in response?
4. How does the mysterious monk assert himself to Vivaldi during his imprisonment and questioning?
5. What happens to Ellena while at the convent of Santa Maria della Pieta and prevents her from staying there permanently?
6. What does Ellena suspect when Spaltaro brings her breakfast, and what does she do because of this suspicion?
7. Where do the Benedictines take Vivaldi and Paulo in Chapter 17 and whom do they turn them over to?
8. What does Ellena fear when Beatrice visits her, and who does Beatrice tell her has died?
9. Who does Ellena run into in a cloister of people, and what does this person reveal to Ellena in Chapter 30?
10. What does the monk accuse Ellena of when she appeals for protection in Chapter 19, and who does she realize the monk is?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)