|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Olivia state Schedoni is in Chapter 30?
(a) The man that has killed Vivaldi.
(b) A holy man sent from God.
(c) Ellena's uncle.
(d) Vivaldi's brother.
2. Why is Ellena overjoyed with Schedoni in Chapter 23?
(a) He cooks a fabulous meal.
(b) He gives her several gifts.
(c) He writes her a song.
(d) He agrees to take her to Santa Maria dell Pieta.
3. What does Schedoni promise to do when Ellena asks about Vivaldi in Chapter 23?
(a) To tell Vivaldi she is safe.
(b) To have him arrested.
(c) To bring him immediately to her.
(d) To acquaint her with anything he hears about Vivaldi.
4. Why is Schedoni taken into custody at the end of Chapter 28?
(a) He verbally berates the tribunal.
(b) He tries to escape.
(c) For further questioning.
(d) He speaks blasphemy.
5. In Chapter 21, what does Schedoni resolve to do for fear of being questioned by the Marchesa di Vivaldi?
(a) Marry Vivaldi and Ellena secretly.
(b) Commit suicide.
(c) Murder Ellena.
(d) Change his identity.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Schedoni deposit Ellena in Chapter 22?
2. How long is Ellena's journey in Chapter 18?
3. Who was once the Count Di Bruno?
4. What frightens Ellena several times during the night in Chapter 18?
5. What are the guards' stipulations to allow Paulo to stay with Vivaldi, at the trial in Chapter 29?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the mysterious monk, and what does he claim is true about Schedoni, and what does he produce to verify his story?
2. What does Olivia tell Ellena about their relationship and the character of Schedoni?
3. Who are the two people the Tribunal summons at the start of Chapter 28, how are they questioned, and what do they testify to?
4. What happens when Vivaldi asks the jailer to capture the monk, and what other tale does he tell the tribunal?
5. What does Ellena fear when Beatrice visits her, and who does Beatrice tell her has died?
6. What does Ellena suspect when Spaltaro brings her breakfast, and what does she do because of this suspicion?
7. Why does Ellena believe that Schedoni came to save her from Spaltaro?
8. What does Schedoni decide would be in his best interest, after finding out he is Ellena's father, and what does he see as the first step?
9. Who does Ellena run into in a cloister of people, and what does this person reveal to Ellena in Chapter 30?
10. How does Vivaldi feel about the monk's tale that he relates to the Tribunal, and what does the monk do in response?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)