|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The monk discusses a confession with Vivaldi in Vivaldi's cell in Chapter 25. Where is that confession made?
(a) A police station.
(b) The church in Santa Maria dell Pieta.
(c) A cave in the hills.
(d) Vivaldi's hometown.
2. Whose confession does Father Ansaldo relate to the tribunal?
(a) The Count di Bruno's.
(c) The Marchesa di Vivaldi's
3. In Chapter 24, what does the Marchesa believe after hearing details about Ellena's family?
(a) She would like to hear the details from Ellena for herself.
(b) That Schedoni has been taken in by Ellena's lies.
(c) They should be written into a book.
(d) Her son should marry Ellena immediately.
4. What does Vivaldi tell the tribunal about the monk in Chapter 27?
(a) The color of his hair.
(b) That he knows his identity.
(c) His location.
(d) That he visited his chamber the night before.
5. What does Spaltaro allow Ellena to do before dinner?
(a) Write to Vivaldi.
(b) Take a bath.
(c) Walk on the beach.
(d) Pray in a chapel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event is happening in Rome in Chapter 17?
2. Who does Ellena suspect Spalatro is?
3. What realization does Schedoni come to that causes him agony and remorse?
4. What will no one tell Vivaldi about the mysterious monk in Chapter 26?
5. What does Schedoni give the guide before he dismisses him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Ellena to be unable to sleep in her cell, and how is this possible?
2. How are Vivaldi and Paulo questioned in Chapter 26, and how do they both reply?
3. Who is the mysterious monk, and what does he claim is true about Schedoni, and what does he produce to verify his story?
4. What makes Ellena's idea, to be taken to the church of Santa Maria della Pieta, appear more attractive to Schedoni, and what is Ellena's reaction when he agrees to her idea?
5. Where do the Benedictines take Vivaldi and Paulo in Chapter 17 and whom do they turn them over to?
6. After being sentenced to death, what does Schedoni reveal to Vivaldi, and how does Vivaldi receive the news?
7. How does Vivaldi feel about the monk's tale that he relates to the Tribunal, and what does the monk do in response?
8. Who does Ellena run into in a cloister of people, and what does this person reveal to Ellena in Chapter 30?
9. Describe what happens when Schedoni, Ellena, and their guide come upon a deserted village.
10. What happens to Ellena while at the convent of Santa Maria della Pieta and prevents her from staying there permanently?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)