|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the friar offer to send the travelers?
(a) A satchel of money.
(b) A religious relic.
(c) An extraordinary confession.
(d) A newspaper.
2. What does Vivaldi suspect is the cause of death in the investigation?
(d) Old age.
3. What causes Ellena to wonder if Olivia had similar circumstances?
(a) A rumor she has heard.
(b) Olivia's diary.
(c) Her tender concern for Ellena.
(d) Eavesdropping at Olivia's door.
4. Who does Vivaldi encounter while leaving his mother's closet?
(a) Her secret lover.
(b) Her secret adviser.
(d) His uncle.
5. What benefit does Ellena gain after meeting Olivia?
(a) Access to forbidden fruit.
(b) A room with a beautiful view.
(c) A large cask of wine.
(d) A letter from Vivaldi.
6. Where do Vivaldi and Paulo end up after pursuing the figure in the monastery?
(a) The choir loft
(b) Ellena's house.
(c) An empty chamber.
(d) The top of a mountain.
7. Why does Ellena admonish the abbess?
(a) For the unfair treatment of servants.
(b) For the lack of food she was given.
(c) The tightness of the bindings holding her.
(d) For lacking respect for Ellena's precepts of a holy religion.
8. What does Ellena beg Vivaldi not to do when their wedding is interrupted and she is seized by the intruders?
(a) Love her any longer.
(b) Leave her.
(c) Follow her.
(d) Forget about her.
9. What rumor does Vivaldi's mother hear in Chapter 14?
(a) Ellena has escaped.
(b) Her love affair has been discovered.
(c) There is a price on her head.
(d) Her husband is going to leave her.
10. What is Vivaldi convinced of by his interview with his mother in Chapter 9?
(a) He should flee his parent's house.
(b) She and her secret admirer conspired to kidnap Ellena.
(c) Her innocence.
(d) Ellena has no feelings for him.
11. What does Vivaldi's friend suggest he do near the end of Chapter 1?
(a) Take a long nap.
(b) Buy Ellena's villa.
(c) Leave the country.
(d) Serenade Ellena.
12. What do Vivaldi and Paulo find when attempting to leave the monastery?
(a) A lock of Ellena's hair.
(b) The keys to the monastery.
(c) A blood stained monk habit.
(d) A book of spells.
13. Who is escorting Ellena di Rosalba in Chapter 1?
(a) Signora Bianchi.
(b) Her uncle.
(c) Her brother.
(d) The Friar.
14. Why does Vivaldi question pursuing Ellena?
(a) The church would excommunicate him.
(b) She has bad breath.
(c) His mother would not consent.
(d) He fears she will murder him.
15. What does Vivaldi accuse his mother's adviser of in Chapter 4?
(a) Slandering Ellena to his mother.
(b) Spying on the Vivaldi family.
(c) Being a thief.
(d) Stealing Vivaldi's music.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who warns Vivaldi about visiting Ellena's villa?
2. What befalls Ellena at the start of Chapter 16?
3. What does Olivia suggest Ellena do to avoid further abuse?
4. Who does Olivia tell Ellena she resembles?
5. What does Ellena realize about love at the end of Chapter 6?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)