|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Vivaldi and Paulo find when attempting to leave the monastery?
(a) A book of spells.
(b) A blood stained monk habit.
(c) The keys to the monastery.
(d) A lock of Ellena's hair.
2. What is the profession of the strange man in the church in the Introduction?
(a) An assassin.
(b) A chef.
(c) A police officer.
(d) An actor.
3. What does Vivaldi suspect is the cause of death in the investigation?
(c) Old age.
4. Who does Vivaldi suspect is plaguing him in Chapter 3?
(a) His friend Bonarmo.
(b) Ellena's aunt.
(c) Her mother's secret adviser.
(d) The friar.
5. What amazes the English travelers in the Introduction?
(a) The fettuccini alfredo.
(b) The Italian countryside.
(c) The Italian language.
(d) The portico of Santa Maria del Pianto.
6. What bad news does Vivaldi discover upon entering Ellena's house in Chapter 3?
(a) The house has burned to the ground.
(b) Ellena has fled the country.
(c) Ellena has another suitor.
(d) Her aunt has died.
7. Who does Paulo announce is approaching in Chapter 13?
(a) Two Carmelite spies.
(b) Vivaldi's parents.
(c) The local sheriff.
(d) The abbess of the convent.
8. Who warns Vivaldi about visiting Ellena's villa?
(a) A mysterious monk.
(b) The mayor of the Villa.
(c) A ghost.
(d) A beggar.
9. What choice is given to Ellena in Chapter 8?
(a) To repent her sins or flee the country.
(b) The fate of prisoners of the state.
(c) To accept the veil or marry a husband chosen for her.
(d) The color of her wedding gown.
10. Who does Olivia tell Ellena she resembles?
(a) The family dog.
(b) Someone she once knew.
(c) Her great aunt Tabitha.
(d) The Venus di Milo.
11. Who does Vivaldi encounter while leaving his mother's closet?
(b) His uncle.
(c) Her secret adviser.
(d) Her secret lover.
12. What happens to Ellena on the morning she is to leave for the convent at Santa Maria della Pieta?
(a) She is kidnapped by three masked men.
(b) She discovers a letter from her father.
(c) She falls down the steps.
(d) She is confronted by Vivaldi's mother.
13. What do Vivaldi's mother and her adviser decide to do after Vivaldi has left her apartments in Chapter 4?
(a) To not confine their efforts to mere remonstrances.
(b) To flee the country together.
(c) To go to pray for Vivaldi's soul.
(d) To prepare a feast for Vivaldi and Ellena.
14. Where does Vivaldi visit upon returning home in Chapter 4?
(a) His mother's closet.
(b) His friend Bonarmo's home.
(c) His father's office.
(d) The local church.
15. Who drags Ellena away while Vivaldi is wounded in Chapter 16?
(a) Vivaldi's mother.
(b) The Friar of the church.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Vivaldi searching for while hiding in Chapter 13?
2. Who is Ellena enchanted by on the fifth day of her captivity at the convent of San Stefano?
3. What does Ellena beg Vivaldi not to do when their wedding is interrupted and she is seized by the intruders?
4. What does Vivaldi find when he rushes to Ellena's house in Chapter 9?
5. What does Vivaldi's father accuse him of doing to Ellena?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)