|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maturin do for the Navy?
2. How does Thornton feel about ship visiting?
3. Where is Graham specifically educated about?
4. How does Aubrey describe his mission on the Worcester as part of his career?
5. Where is the Jemmapes from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does blockade duty entail?
2. What happens when a strong wind blows birds over the ship?
3. What is Aubrey's first mission on his new ship?
4. What does Aubrey do for the ship that impresses his crew?
5. What is the mission the Worcester has been sent on?
6. Why does Aubrey choose to captain the Worcester even though he doesn't want to?
7. Why is Aubrey so worried about Thornton's health?
8. What do the men on the Worcester think of Aubrey when they leave the harbor where the French consort is anchored?
9. What does Mustapha do when he hears Aubrey has aligned himself with Sciahan?
10. Why does Graham opt for a long negotiation in the Ionian Region?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is strange about the relationship between Maturin and his wife, and what bearing does this have on his career?
Essay Topic 2
War is a major theme in this book. Where does this theme appear, and what effects does the inclusion of this theme have on the tone and message of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Where is comic relief present in the book, and how did these instances affect the main characters in the book?
This section contains 1,166 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)