|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Aubrey's title in the Navy?
2. What do the officers gossip about while at the first stop?
3. What does Maturin do for the Navy?
4. What about Graham is said to be nearly perfect?
5. Who is badly injured after the run-in with the Jemmapes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Graham opt for a long negotiation in the Ionian Region?
2. What news does Harte bring to Aubrey?
3. How is Somers a danger to the whole ship?
4. What is the mission the Worcester has been sent on?
5. Why is Maturin rarely at home?
6. What does Aubrey think of Mustapha?
7. What causes the Jemmapes to flee from the altercation with the Worcester?
8. Why does Thornton choose to focus so much on the Ionian region?
9. How does Martin convince people to not hurt the birds?
10. Why does Thornton turn his command over to Harte?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Training and education are topics of discussion in this book. Where do these topics appear in this book, and what affect do they have on the characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 2
Human nature is a strong symbol and theme in this book. Where does this symbol appear, and what role does it play in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Why was the inclusion of the theme of loneliness so ironic for this book, and what came of the loneliness felt by the main characters in the book?
This section contains 1,137 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)