|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Thornton feel about ship visiting?
2. Why does Rowan come aboard the ship?
3. Who gets mad about the treatment of the birds that land on the ship?
4. What is Maturin's occupation?
5. How does Aubrey describe his mission on the Worcester as part of his career?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the men on the Worcester think of Aubrey when they leave the harbor where the French consort is anchored?
2. Why does Graham opt for a long negotiation in the Ionian Region?
3. What does Aubrey do while he waits for the ship of powder to arrive?
4. Why does Aubrey choose to captain the Worcester even though he doesn't want to?
5. What do Aubrey and Maturin discuss about music?
6. What news does Harte bring to Aubrey?
7. Why is Aubrey so worried about Thornton's health?
8. What do Maturin and Martin have in common, and what do they do together?
9. Why does Harte give Aubrey the mission he does when he first takes command of the blockade?
10. Why does Aubrey refuse to fire on the French ship anchored in the harbor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How were the three Ionian leaders different from each other, and how did these differences affect Aubrey's decision in that area?
Essay Topic 2
Patrick O'Brian presents the idea that there are two sides to every man. Choose three of the characters from the book and write about their dual natures and how this duality affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 3
Training and education are topics of discussion in this book. Where do these topics appear in this book, and what affect do they have on the characters involved in those scenes?
This section contains 1,231 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)