|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What keeps Maturin away from home for long periods of time?
2. Where is Graham specifically educated about?
3. How does Maturin's wife describe his habits?
4. What does Aubrey do at the first stop the Worcester makes?
5. What is the name of Dundas's ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the crew feel about the Worcester, and why?
2. What causes the Jemmapes to flee from the altercation with the Worcester?
3. What format is Chapter 4 set up in?
4. How is Somers a danger to the whole ship?
5. Why is Maturin rarely at home?
6. Why is Aubrey not able to do what he wanted at Mahon?
7. What does Aubrey think of Ismail Bey?
8. How does Davis feel about Aubrey, and why?
9. What is Aubrey's first mission on his new ship?
10. What does Aubrey hope to do when he gets to Mahon early?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Patrick O'Brian presents the idea that there are two sides to every man. Choose three of the characters from the book and write about their dual natures and how this duality affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
Harte was a minor character in this book who made a huge impact on the plot. How did he accomplish this, and how would the plot have been altered had he not been included in the story line?
Essay Topic 3
There were many characters in this book who were manipulated and persuaded to do things they did not want to do. What were some of these instances, and how were those characters affected by the manipulation?
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)