|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Equiano not go to England immediately after receiving his freedom?
2. What does Equiano tell Farmer before Farmer dies?
3. After the rescue team arrives in New Providence and heads to Georgia, what happens to them?
4. What happens after Equiano complains about the Sierra Leone project?
5. What happens to Equiano on shipboard on October 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think it makes sense for Equiano to believe that he made the ship wreck by cursing it?
2. What are the possible conclusions about Equiano's prophetic dream about finding a boat on the return trip from Cadiz?
3. Is there an implicit argument being made in Equiano's description of the time he spent in Turkey?
4. Why does Equiano choose to go with Dr. Irving to start a plantation in Jamaica?
5. How do Equiano's experiences in Georgia reflect on the conditions for free black men in the U.S. South before the Civil War?
6. Why does Equiano want to become ordained?
7. Is Equiano's encounter with Pascal when he returns to England the way you expected it to be?
8. How does his experience of being "born again" change Equiano's attitude toward life?
9. How does the episode in which Phillips's crew see a flock of flamingos characterize the crew?
10. What is the significance of what happens to the bulls and the turkeys before the end of the voyage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose any one of the people who play an important role in Equiano's life (one of his owners, family members, or friends). Does the personality of that person appear to change during his or her interactions with Equiano?
Essay Topic 2
There are several ship wrecks and other dangerous encounters on the seas described in The Interesting Narrative. What is the overall effect of these descriptions on readers? Compare at least two descriptions of danger on the sea to demonstrate the effects each description might have on readers.
Essay Topic 3
Equiano's narrative includes many different kinds of travel, from his forced travel as a slave to travel for commercial purposes to exploratory travel. Compare the different kinds of travel Equiano describes, making sure to cover all the categories of travel you identify and to use examples from as many different voyages in the book as possible.
This section contains 1,200 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)