|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book does Equiano receive after a conversation about Christianity?
2. What sight does Equiano find strange in Turkey?
3. When he decides to buy his freedom, how much money has Equiano saved?
4. When Equiano finds Pascal in England, how does Pascal react?
5. What position does Equiano receive in relationship to the Sierra Leone project?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the episode with the silversmith parallel earlier events in The Interesting Narrative?
2. Does the manumission of Equiano seem like a high point to this autobiography?
3. What is the significance of what happens to the bulls and the turkeys before the end of the voyage?
4. How does his experience of being "born again" change Equiano's attitude toward life?
5. What three elements of Equiano's visit with the fisherman help him decide to become a Christian?
6. Why does Equiano choose to go with Dr. Irving to start a plantation in Jamaica?
7. Why does Equiano want to become ordained?
8. How does the trip to the North Pole develop Equiano's characterization?
9. Is there an implicit argument being made in Equiano's description of the time he spent in Turkey?
10. How do Equiano's experiences in Georgia reflect on the conditions for free black men in the U.S. South before the Civil War?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Equiano's narrative includes many different kinds of travel, from his forced travel as a slave to travel for commercial purposes to exploratory travel. Compare the different kinds of travel Equiano describes, making sure to cover all the categories of travel you identify and to use examples from as many different voyages in the book as possible.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 10, Equiano decides to go to Turkey because the Turks are the most Christ-like people he believes he has met. Based on his descriptions of all the different national and ethnic groups he encounters, explain how he might have come to this conclusion. Is it supported by the information he has presented elsewhere in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Choose any one of the people who play an important role in Equiano's life (one of his owners, family members, or friends). Does the personality of that person appear to change during his or her interactions with Equiano?
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)