|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Eboe merchants kiss the food they are offering for sale?
2. Which of the following is a reason Equiano likes Robert King?
3. Why do Pascal and Equiano go to London after the fleet returns?
4. How old is Equiano when he is kidnapped?
5. Why is Equiano so lonely in Virginia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Equiano learn navigation but then not use his new skills when he has the opportunity to escape on Farmer's ship?
2. Explain the argument Equiano makes to prove that Africans are related to Europeans.
3. How is Equiano characterized by his behavior while he is a slave in Africa?
4. According to Equiano, what is slavery in the West Indies like?
5. Why do you think Pascal acts the way he does near the end of Chapter 4?
6. List two important concepts in Eboe religion, as Equiano describes it.
7. Discuss the significance of King's promise to make Equiano a clerk.
8. Discuss the role of food in Chapter 2.
9. Who is John Mondle and what is his significance?
10. How does the description of military life in Chapter 3 reflect on English culture?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast slavery in Africa as described by Equiano with slavery of Africans held by Englishmen as Equiano describes it. Be sure to include as many points of comparison as possible.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast John Annis's life with Equiano's. Could Equiano have met a fate like Annis's? What enables Equiano to avoid a sad end like Annis's? Be sure to identify the turning points during Equiano's life when things might have gone differently and set him on a course more like Annis's, and explain how Equiano avoided those dangers.
Essay Topic 3
Equiano's life story exposed him to many different cultures. His book explores African culture, English culture, plantation culture, maritime culture, military culture, and religious culture, among others. Select three different cultural or subcultural groups that Equiano describes and compare and contrast them.
This section contains 1,195 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)