|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Equiano and the rest of the rescue mission head to try to get help?
(a) The Bahamas.
(b) St. Croix.
(d) New Providence.
2. Why does Equiano brings turkeys on the ship instead of bulls?
(a) Equiano decides to stop eating beef.
(b) Equiano decides he can make more money selling turkeys.
(c) Farmer goes back on his promise to allow Equiano to bring the bulls on board.
(d) Equiano's bulls die before he can get them on the ship.
3. Once they are on the desert island, what does the crew do for food?
(a) They eat nothing.
(b) They become cannibals.
(c) They eat their clothes.
(d) They catch fish.
4. Why does Equiano not go to England immediately after receiving his freedom?
(a) He has fallen in love with a girl in Montserrat.
(b) He no longer wants to go to England because he likes Montserrat so much.
(c) He feels he has a duty to King and Farmer, so he continues working for them.
(d) Freed slaves are not allowed in England.
5. What position does Equiano receive in relationship to the Sierra Leone project?
(a) He is the government watchdog.
(b) He is the government's commissary.
(c) He is the captain.
(d) He is the official hairdresser.
Short Answer Questions
1. What else goes wrong with the Sierra Leone project?
2. What dream does Equiano have on the way back from Cadiz?
3. How does the ship Nancy get wrecked?
4. What sight does Equiano find strange in Turkey?
5. What new profession does Equiano learn in England?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Equiano's economic argument for ending slavery.
2. Is there an implicit argument being made in Equiano's description of the time he spent in Turkey?
3. Does the manumission of Equiano seem like a high point to this autobiography?
4. What are the possible conclusions about Equiano's prophetic dream about finding a boat on the return trip from Cadiz?
5. Describe and comment on Equiano's experiences with the Sierra Leone settlement.
6. When Equiano decides he needs to find a religion to commit to (after his trip to the North Pole), how does he begin his search?
7. Describe Equiano's trip to New York and Philadelphia in 1784.
8. Why does Equiano want to become ordained?
9. Why does Equiano decide to leave Dr. Irving's plantation?
10. Do you think it makes sense for Equiano to believe that he made the ship wreck by cursing it?
This section contains 1,109 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)