|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On the way to Cadiz, when Equiano's ship crashes into the rocks, how does Equiano amaze everyone?
(a) By personally carrying every member of the crew ashore.
(b) By admitting he caused the wreck by cursing the ship.
(c) By steering the ship through the rocks into harbor at New Providence.
(d) By being completely calm.
2. What happens to Equiano on shipboard on October 6?
(a) He feels "born again," spiritually.
(b) His turkeys die.
(c) He curses the ship and it sinks.
(d) He falls overboard.
3. Why does Equiano brings turkeys on the ship instead of bulls?
(a) Equiano decides he can make more money selling turkeys.
(b) Equiano's bulls die before he can get them on the ship.
(c) Equiano decides to stop eating beef.
(d) Farmer goes back on his promise to allow Equiano to bring the bulls on board.
4. Who does Equiano blame for the failure of his attempted conversion of the Native American?
(d) Dr. Irving.
5. What does Equiano see in Philadelphia that pleases him?
(a) An all-black hospital.
(b) An all-black school.
(c) An all-black church.
(d) A museum.
Short Answer Questions
1. After a trip to the West Indies in 1771, what profession does Equiano follow for about two years, before going back to sea?
2. Why does the English government start an expedition to Sierra Leone?
3. What book does Equiano receive after a conversation about Christianity?
4. When the crew of the Nancy sees another ship, what do they learn from the crew of that ship?
5. What is the name of the document that verifies a former slave has been given his or her freedom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the possible conclusions about Equiano's prophetic dream about finding a boat on the return trip from Cadiz?
2. Why does Equiano want to become ordained?
3. Does the manumission of Equiano seem like a high point to this autobiography?
4. Is Equiano's encounter with Pascal when he returns to England the way you expected it to be?
5. Why does Equiano decide to leave Dr. Irving's plantation?
6. Describe and comment on Equiano's experiences with the Sierra Leone settlement.
7. Why does the episode with John Annis affect Equiano's quest for a religion?
8. What three elements of Equiano's visit with the fisherman help him decide to become a Christian?
9. How are Equiano and Farmer each characterized by the incident with the bulls and the turkeys?
10. What is the significance of Equiano's encounter with Hughes?
This section contains 1,156 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)