|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Equiano stop eating on the slave ship?
(a) He does not like the food.
(b) He has stomach flu.
(c) He is depressed.
(d) He hopes if he loses weight no one will want to buy him.
2. Which of the following does Equiano say helps prove that Africans are related to Europeans?
(a) Europeans and Africans eat the same foods.
(b) African culture and religious practices resemble the practices of Jews described in the Old Testament.
(c) The Eboe told a legend about how they used to live in a cold place in the north.
(d) The Eboe had a legend about how white men came from the north and intermarried with the Eboe.
3. What does the island where Equiano's new owner takes him have a reputation for?
(a) Slave revolts.
(b) Growing cotton.
(d) Slave auctions.
4. What city does the fleet return to?
5. What two things does Equiano think are "magic" when he sees a town built by white people for the first time?
(a) Cars and tents.
(b) Canoes and teepees.
(c) Horses and large brick houses.
(d) Bicycles and apartment buildings.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are Eboe children named?
2. How does it happen that the French attack the English on the way back across the Atlantic?
3. What new name does Pascal give Equiano?
4. What does Equiano's second West Indies owner promise to do for him later?
5. Why does King tell Equiano that he plans to sell him?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 4, how can readers learn more about Equiano's personality?
2. Compare Equiano's experiences in Montserrat with his experiences in Philadelphia.
3. Based on Equiano's descriptions of his experience as an African slave, would you say that system of slavery seems to match what Equiano told the reader about it in Chapter 1?
4. Why do you think Farmer wants to help Equiano?
5. Why does Equiano learn navigation but then not use his new skills when he has the opportunity to escape on Farmer's ship?
6. Describe what it means for an Eboe man to be designated as "Embrenche."
7. What features of the life of the Eboe people as Equiano describes are most interesting or surprising?
8. How are King, Equiano, and Famer all characterized by the episode when King threatens to sell Equiano and Farmer persuades him not to do that?
9. According to Equiano, what is slavery in the West Indies like?
10. Describe Robert King's personality.
This section contains 1,365 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)