|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Equiano feels an earthquake during the night, what does he think it is?
(a) A dream.
(c) He thinks he's on a ship in rough waters.
(d) Kids shaking his bed to play a prank.
2. Why does King tell Equiano that he plans to sell him?
(a) Because King heard that Equiano plans to run away.
(b) Because King thinks Equiano would be happier somewhere else.
(c) Because King is going bankrupt and has no choice.
(d) Because King can't stand the heat on Montserrat and is moving back to England.
3. Why does Equiano stop eating on the slave ship?
(a) He does not like the food.
(b) He hopes if he loses weight no one will want to buy him.
(c) He is depressed.
(d) He has stomach flu.
4. What is different about the second slave ship?
(a) The captain is mostly interested in hunting whales.
(b) There is no crew, and the slaves do all the work on the ship.
(c) The slaves are treated better.
(d) The slaves have to stay below deck.
5. What does Equiano see while doing his job at the battle at Gibraltar?
(a) Hundreds of English sailors sneaking off the ship in life boats.
(b) Frenchmen sneaking onto the ship with sticks of dynamite.
(c) Butterflies landing on the deck.
(d) Many men who are blown up right in front of him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What punishment does Equiano get for accidentally killing an animal?
2. Which of the following is a reason Equiano likes Robert King?
3. What new name does Pascal give Equiano?
4. Why do Eboe merchants kiss the food they are offering for sale?
5. What does Equiano think is "magic" on the slave ships?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 3, does being purchased by Pascal seem like a good thing or a bad thing for Equiano?
2. Explain the significance of the Eboe practice of merchants kissing the food that they are offering for sale.
3. According to Equiano, what is slavery in the West Indies like?
4. In Chapter 4, how is Pascal's personality revealed to readers?
5. Describe Robert King's personality.
6. Why do you think Equiano does not try to escape when he's on shore after the British win the battle?
7. What features of the life of the Eboe people as Equiano describes are most interesting or surprising?
8. How are King, Equiano, and Famer all characterized by the episode when King threatens to sell Equiano and Farmer persuades him not to do that?
9. Explain the argument Equiano makes to prove that Africans are related to Europeans.
10. The white people in Chapter 2 do not come out looking very good. How do you think white readers at the time Equiano wrote his book would have felt about his depiction of their race, and why?
This section contains 1,369 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)