|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Equiano's first name, Olaudah, mean?
(b) Scar on the forehead.
(c) Village elder.
(d) Fortunate, or having a loud voice.
2. Why do Eboe merchants kiss the food they are offering for sale?
(a) To show respect to God.
(b) To prove that it tastes good.
(c) To prove that it is not poisoned.
(d) To show that they love their work.
3. What do the crew do to Equiano when he refuses to eat?
(a) Ignore him.
(b) Beat him.
(c) Make him walk the plank.
(d) Beg him to eat.
4. What city is Pascal sent to help in an attack on?
(a) Boston, Massachusetts.
(b) Mexico City.
(c) Louisborough, in French Canada.
(d) New York City.
5. Why is Equiano so lonely in Virginia?
(a) He is the only child on the plantation.
(b) He is the only slave on the plantation.
(c) He doesn't speak English, and the other slaves don't speak his language.
(d) The other slaves don't like him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is Equiano allowed to do after the English win the battle?
2. Which of the following is a problem Equiano sees in the West Indies?
3. Why does Captain Farmer want Equiano to work for him?
4. During the battle at Gibraltar, what is Equiano's job?
5. What skill of Equiano's makes his second West Indies owner think that Equiano might make a good clerk?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does being sold in the New World seem to differ from being sold in Africa?
2. List two important concepts in Eboe religion, as Equiano describes it.
3. Compare Equiano's experiences in Montserrat with his experiences in Philadelphia.
4. What are the two disappointments Equiano experiences in the Mediterranean?
5. In Chapter 4, how can readers learn more about Equiano's personality?
6. Explain the argument Equiano makes to prove that Africans are related to Europeans.
7. Explain the significance of the Eboe practice of merchants kissing the food that they are offering for sale.
8. Why does Equiano learn navigation but then not use his new skills when he has the opportunity to escape on Farmer's ship?
9. Describe the system of slavery practiced among the Eboe people.
10. Discuss the significance of Equiano's trip to Philadelphia.
This section contains 1,191 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)