|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the English win the battle at Gibraltar, some French ships go aground. What happens to them?
(a) The boys who work on the ships are stranded on the Rock of Gibraltar, where they create their own society.
(b) They are towed by the English.
(c) They are blown up.
(d) They are taken apart and the lumber is loaded on the English ships to take to the West Indies to sell.
2. In 1761, when Equiano's ship is accidentally rammed by another English ship, what does Equiano think is a miracle?
(a) Equiano survives by floating on a coffin.
(b) A recent Christian convert escapes death even though his entire cabin is destroyed.
(c) Pascal is killed, so Equiano is free.
(d) Equiano's hearing is restored.
3. How do Equiano's shipmates feel about Pascal selling him?
(a) They are happy, because Equiano always won fights against them.
(b) They think it is very unfair.
(c) They don't care one way or the other.
(d) They think it is just as well, because Pascal was not a good master and Equiano will be better off out of the navy.
4. Why does Equiano sail to so many places in the Atlantic?
(a) Because Pascal is trying to find a place to set the slaves free.
(b) Because Pascal has told Equiano he can go anywhere he wants.
(c) Because Pascal is on vacation.
(d) Because Pascal's job requires him to move around.
5. What does Equiano say that Biblical scholars have said about Africans?
(a) That they were created to be slaves.
(b) That they are descended from Abraham.
(c) That they were created separately from Adam and Eve.
(d) That they are evil.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Equiano believe he has already bought his way out of slavery in Chapter 4?
2. When Equiano feels an earthquake during the night, what does he think it is?
3. What aspect of slave auctions does Equiano mention as being particularly upsetting?
4. What animal does Equiano accidentally kill with a pebble?
5. How does the battle in the ocean between the French and the English end?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Equiano believe that the end of the war means he will be free?
2. How does being sold in the New World seem to differ from being sold in Africa?
3. In Chapter 3, does being purchased by Pascal seem like a good thing or a bad thing for Equiano?
4. What is the effect on the reader of Equiano's emphasis on his early impressions of white people (that they are magic, devils, etc.)?
5. Compare Equiano's experiences in Montserrat with his experiences in Philadelphia.
6. In Chapter 3, how is Pascal characterized?
7. Why do you think Farmer wants to help Equiano?
8. After Pascal sells him to a new owner, how does Equiano deal with the disappointment?
9. Discuss the significance of King's promise to make Equiano a clerk.
10. Explain the significance of the Eboe practice of merchants kissing the food that they are offering for sale.
This section contains 1,188 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)