|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When he is taken on board the slave ship, what does Equiano fear?
(a) That he will fall overboard.
(b) That he will be eaten by the white people.
(c) That he will have to fight other young boys on shipboard.
(d) That he will be eaten by sharks.
2. What does Equiano see while doing his job at the battle at Gibraltar?
(a) Butterflies landing on the deck.
(b) Many men who are blown up right in front of him.
(c) Hundreds of English sailors sneaking off the ship in life boats.
(d) Frenchmen sneaking onto the ship with sticks of dynamite.
3. What city is Pascal sent to help in an attack on?
(a) Mexico City.
(b) Louisborough, in French Canada.
(c) New York City.
(d) Boston, Massachusetts.
4. Who does Equiano become friends with after he is purchased by Pascal?
(a) Richard Baker.
(b) Richard Burton.
(c) Arthur Gordon Pym.
(d) Gustavus Vasa.
5. Where does Equiano nearly die from the ague?
6. When he renames Equiano, who is Pascal naming Equiano after?
(a) A famous former slave.
(b) A famous boxer.
(c) A famous freedom fighter.
(d) A famous writer.
7. What does Equiano conclude about Pascal selling him?
(a) He should run away and find Pascal to get revenge.
(b) It's a test from God.
(c) It's okay, because his new owner is nicer than Pascal was.
(d) He should refuse to work, since the sale was illegal.
8. At the end of his long overland journey in Africa, where does Equiano arrive?
(a) The eastern sea coast.
(b) Cairo, Egypt.
(c) The western sea coast.
(d) Johannesburg, South Africa.
9. How do the Eboe dress?
(a) The men wear pants and white shirts, and the women wear long, colorful dresses.
(b) Both men and women wrap a single piece of blue fabric around their bodies.
(c) Wealthier Eboe people wear elaborate costumes made of feathers, precious gems, and animal skin, but poor Eboe are nearly naked.
(d) They go naked, except for a small loin cloth.
10. How does Equiano explain the difference in skin color between Europeans and Africans?
(a) Equiano says that Africans are darker because of the food they eat.
(b) Equiano says the difference in skin color is caused by the difference in the environments of Europeans and Africans.
(c) Equiano says that Europeans are lighter skinned because they have weak blood.
(d) Equiano says he has no idea why Africans and Europeans have different skin color.
11. After the battle at Gibraltar, what happens to Pascal?
(a) He dies from his wounds.
(b) He converts to Christianity and decides to free Equiano.
(c) He is demoted to a common soldier for cowardice during the battle.
(d) He recovers and goes back on active duty.
12. How does Pascal keep Equiano on the ship when he is going to collect their naval pay?
(a) Drugs him.
(b) Threatens him with physical violence.
(c) Pays his shipmates to tie him up and guard him.
(d) Tricks him by telling them they aren't there yet.
13. What does Equiano say that Biblical scholars have said about Africans?
(a) That they are evil.
(b) That they were created to be slaves.
(c) That they were created separately from Adam and Eve.
(d) That they are descended from Abraham.
14. How does Equiano feel about traveling to Philadelphia?
15. What two skills is Equiano taught as a child?
(a) Tracking deer and killing birds.
(b) Snake charming and bartering.
(c) Herbal healing and banjo playing.
(d) Agriculture and warfare.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Equiano react when he is told he won't be a slave long?
2. What European characteristic does Equiano say helps prove that Europeans and Africans are related?
3. Besides the slaveowners, where else does Equiano place blame for the treatment of the slaves in the West Indies?
4. Which of the following is Equiano allowed to do after the English win the battle?
5. Which of the following best describes the way Equiano goes to work for Farmer?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)