|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What new name does Pascal give Equiano?
(a) Gustavus Vasa.
(b) Herman Melville.
(c) Frederick Douglass.
(d) Richard Baker.
2. During the battle at Gibraltar, what is Equiano's job?
(a) Steering the ship.
(b) Cleaning blood off the deck.
(c) Running to the cannon with explosive gun powder to the cannons can be reloaded.
(d) Carrying messages from Pascal to the captain.
3. What city is Pascal sent to help in an attack on?
(a) Boston, Massachusetts.
(b) New York City.
(c) Mexico City.
(d) Louisborough, in French Canada.
4. How does the cruelty of the slaveholders affect Equiano's attitude toward Christianity?
(a) He thinks the slaveholders are hypocrites, but he does not change his opinion of Christianity.
(b) He decides Christianity is evil, if Christians can act that way.
(c) He decides that all slaves must be converted to Christianity, so that their owners will have to treat them better.
(d) He decides that all slaves must be converted to Islam instead of Christianity.
5. In Chapter 4, which two people does Equiano expect to be reunited with?
(a) His parents.
(b) Pascal and King.
(c) Pascal and Doran.
(d) His sister and Richard Baker.
6. Who is Equiano sold to by the owner who first took him to the West Indies?
(a) Richard Baker.
(b) Robert King.
(c) Benjamin Franklin.
7. At the end of his long overland journey in Africa, where does Equiano arrive?
(a) Johannesburg, South Africa.
(b) Cairo, Egypt.
(c) The western sea coast.
(d) The eastern sea coast.
8. What sign is used to mark an Embrenche?
(a) A scar on the forehead.
(b) A headdress of feathers.
(c) A silver badge.
(d) A red armband.
9. When Equiano feels an earthquake during the night, what does he think it is?
(a) He thinks he's on a ship in rough waters.
(b) A dream.
(d) Kids shaking his bed to play a prank.
10. What work does Equiano do for the owner who takes him to the West Indies?
(a) Buying and selling other slaves.
(b) Loading and unloading ships.
(c) Boat repair.
11. While he's in Philadelphia, who tells Equiano that he won't be a slave long?
(a) Mrs. Davis.
(b) Thomas Jefferson.
(c) Benjamin Franklin.
(d) Mrs. Thomas.
12. What animal does Equiano accidentally kill with a pebble?
(a) A skunk.
(b) A giraffe.
(c) A lizard.
(d) A chicken.
13. How does Equiano's business go in Philadelphia?
(a) He loses money.
(b) He makes a good profit.
(c) He breaks even.
(d) He makes a profit but then loses all his money gambling.
14. What does Equiano expect to do after the war?
(a) Return to Africa and find his parents.
(b) Purchase his freedom and get an education.
(c) Attempt to get an officer's commission in the navy.
(d) Continue working with Pascal.
15. While traveling from one place to another in Africa, which of the following does Equiano learn?
(b) How to track deer in the forest.
(c) Two African languages different from his own.
(d) That he is going to be sent to America on a slave ship.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Equiano see in the plantation house, which impress him?
2. How does Equiano describe the living conditions of most slaves in the West Indies?
3. Why does King tell Equiano that he plans to sell him?
4. What kind of reputation does Equiano's second owner in the West Indies have?
5. Once King decides not to sell Equiano, what does King do?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)