|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Equiano get baptized?
(a) Because an Englishwoman he visits tells him he can't get into heaven otherwise.
(b) Because he doesn't understand that baptism is a religious act.
(c) Because the Eboe practiced baptism, too.
(d) Because he has converted to Islam.
2. Which of the following does Equiano see in the plantation house, which impress him?
(a) A ticking clock and a portrait painting.
(b) Silver forks and spoons and electric lamps.
(c) A perpetual motion machine.
(d) A fish tank.
3. During the last year of the war, what are Equiano and Pascal doing?
(a) Pascal is cleaning the decks because he has been demoted and Equiano helps him.
(b) They are on Montserrat.
(c) They are on a ship that is blockading the French for most of the year.
(d) They are stuck on the Isle of Wight until the end of the war.
4. How old is Equiano when he is kidnapped?
5. How does Equiano describe the living conditions of most slaves in the West Indies?
(a) Better than anywhere else Equiano has been, because the weather is so nice and the slaves are allowed to spend Saturdays on the beaches.
(b) Not any worse than anywhere else.
(c) Filthy and unhealthy.
(d) About the same as the living conditions of the slave owners.
6. How do Eboe people acquire slaves?
(a) They take slaves from other groups thorugh war or trade.
(b) Children who have darker skin than others are marked for slavery at birth.
(c) Any boy who refuses to be circumcised is made a slave.
(d) People sell their own children to be slaves.
7. What island in the West Indies does Equiano's new owner take him to?
(b) Santo Domingo.
8. Who spreads a lie about Equiano?
(a) Richard Baker.
(c) Farmer's first mate.
(d) The surgeon on Farmer's ship.
9. What work does Equiano do for the owner who takes him to the West Indies?
(a) Loading and unloading ships.
(c) Boat repair.
(d) Buying and selling other slaves.
10. When Equiano is enslaved to a chief, what kind of shop does he work in?
(a) A grocery store.
(b) A bakery.
(c) A goldsmith's shop.
(d) A blacksmith's shop.
11. When Equiano is sold to a merchant in Tinmah, how is he treated?
(a) He is told that he is no longer a slave.
(b) He is completely ignored; he is not made to work, but he is also not fed.
(c) He is treated so badly that he wishes he were dead.
(d) He is treated so well that he almost forgets he's a slave.
12. Why is Equiano so lonely in Virginia?
(a) He doesn't speak English, and the other slaves don't speak his language.
(b) He is the only child on the plantation.
(c) He is the only slave on the plantation.
(d) The other slaves don't like him.
13. What do the Eboe mostly drink?
(d) Palm wine.
14. When he renames Equiano, who is Pascal naming Equiano after?
(a) A famous freedom fighter.
(b) A famous writer.
(c) A famous boxer.
(d) A famous former slave.
15. How do Equiano's shipmates feel about Pascal selling him?
(a) They think it is just as well, because Pascal was not a good master and Equiano will be better off out of the navy.
(b) They are happy, because Equiano always won fights against them.
(c) They don't care one way or the other.
(d) They think it is very unfair.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Equiano spend his time doing on the Isle of Wight?
2. What do the Eboe believe about the afterlife?
3. Who does Pascal sell Equiano to?
4. How are Eboe children named?
5. Why does Equiano believe he has already bought his way out of slavery in Chapter 4?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)