|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Equiano stop eating on the slave ship?
(a) He does not like the food.
(b) He has stomach flu.
(c) He is depressed.
(d) He hopes if he loses weight no one will want to buy him.
2. Why is Equiano separated from the friend he makes when Equiano is first working for Pascal?
(a) Because Equiano escapes.
(b) Because Pascal does not want him to have friends.
(c) Because of Pascal's reassignment.
(d) Because his friend escapes.
3. What kind of work do most Eboe people do?
(a) Factory work.
(b) They are servants for rich white settlers from England.
(c) Diamond mining.
4. How does Equiano's business go in Philadelphia?
(a) He loses money.
(b) He makes a profit but then loses all his money gambling.
(c) He makes a good profit.
(d) He breaks even.
5. How are Eboe children named?
(a) Based on something that happened around the time of their birth.
(b) Every son is named after his father.
(c) A name is drawn from a hat.
(d) The Embrenche name all the children.
6. What does Equiano see at Brimstone Hill?
(a) Pools of boiling water.
(b) A military cemetery.
(d) Escaped slaves.
7. In 1761, when Equiano's ship is accidentally rammed by another English ship, what does Equiano think is a miracle?
(a) A recent Christian convert escapes death even though his entire cabin is destroyed.
(b) Equiano's hearing is restored.
(c) Pascal is killed, so Equiano is free.
(d) Equiano survives by floating on a coffin.
8. Who does Pascal sell Equiano to?
(a) Richard Baker.
(b) Miss Guerins.
(c) Benjamin Franklin.
(d) Captain Doran.
9. Who does Equiano become friends with after he is purchased by Pascal?
(a) Gustavus Vasa.
(b) Arthur Gordon Pym.
(c) Richard Baker.
(d) Richard Burton.
10. What is different about the second slave ship?
(a) The slaves have to stay below deck.
(b) The slaves are treated better.
(c) The captain is mostly interested in hunting whales.
(d) There is no crew, and the slaves do all the work on the ship.
11. Where does the slave ship land?
(c) Plymouth Rock.
12. What aspect of slave auctions does Equiano mention as being particularly upsetting?
(a) The noise.
(b) The breaking up of families.
(c) The rape of female slaves.
(d) The jugglers who advertise the auctions.
13. What work does Equiano do for the owner who takes him to the West Indies?
(b) Buying and selling other slaves.
(c) Boat repair.
(d) Loading and unloading ships.
14. When Equiano is sick in London, what treatment does the doctor recommend that Equiano refuses?
(a) Amputation of his left leg.
(b) Blood transfusion.
(c) Surgery to remove a tumor.
15. How does Equiano describe the living conditions of most slaves in the West Indies?
(a) Better than anywhere else Equiano has been, because the weather is so nice and the slaves are allowed to spend Saturdays on the beaches.
(b) Filthy and unhealthy.
(c) Not any worse than anywhere else.
(d) About the same as the living conditions of the slave owners.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who spreads a lie about Equiano?
2. During the cannon battle against the French at Gibraltar, which of the following amazes Equiano?
3. What skill of Equiano's makes his second West Indies owner think that Equiano might make a good clerk?
4. After the war is over, where do Pascal and Equiano go?
5. Equiano sees a slave whose leg has been cut off in the West Indies. Why was the slave's leg amputated?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)